[ bae.irene ]

through colored seasons

 


Cold breeze hits her as soon as she opened the door, the windows of the room widely open. Irene wondered who in their right mind forgot to close it, knowing that winter has come.

With a sigh, she stepped inside the Student Council room, closing the window and turning up the heater. She was early and cold and pissed off at the moment and Irene swore she was going to curse at whoever shows up at the door.

Not a second later, hurried footsteps could be heard, Irene preparing her icy glare before the door was slammed open its hinges could've been broken. The person huffed and puffed, hands on her knees before she finally looks up, wincing slightly, skin paler than normal.

Irene's glare melted, words stuck in and not just because the girl looked pitiful, no, rather than that, worry had shot up inside her and she immediately went over to the still panting girl.

"Are you alright? I thought you weren't allowed to run?" Irene gently asked, assisting her junior to take a seat.

She gave a gummy smile in return, shaking her head as if it was enough to ease Irene's nerves. "I'm fine, sunbaenim. I was just— I forgot to close the windows yesterday."

Irene would have never said every insulting word she had earlier in her head if she'd known it was the girl and she even made an effort to fix her mistake.

"Don't do it again." Irene sighed.

Jennie winced again but nodded nonetheless, "I'm really sorry, sunbaenim. I'll remember to close it next time."

The older girl blinked. That wasn't it. She meant to say that she didn't want Jennie running, forsaking her own health just to close inanimate windows. Irene was about to protest and clarify herself when another person entered the room and she immediately retracted her hands, which were placed on Jennie's shoulders awhile ago.

"Could you two at least ing flirt outside?" 

Jennie immediately tensed, Irene noticed. The latter looked up to see Joy, looking pissed off, grumpy, seething, whatever that's not her name. She always wondered if there was something between Jennie and Joy. Irene tried to push away the jealousy that's crawling up at her. She had no right.

Jennie in turn, glares at the intruding girl, "Jealous, ?"

Joy only huffed before grumpily sitting on the opposite side of Jennie, something that's unavoidable with Jennie being the Vice President and Joy the Council's Secretary so they both have to sit near the President. Irene kind of regretted imposing seating arrangements a bit but she gets to seat next to Jennie and it's easier to have the officers sorted accordingly so its kind of a win-win situation on her part.

Irene sighed. Her eyes caught her wrist watch and she frowned when she realized the others were running late. She turned to Jennie, since most of the officers were third years, and was about to ask the girl about them. Or maybe it was just an excuse to talk to Jennie, without Joy throwing them accusing looks.

Unfortunately, before she could, the said people appeared.

Wendy came in, Seulgi and Chaeyoung tailing behind her and they all settled down their respected seats. Now that most of them have arrived, Joy's angry demeanor seemed to have died down, especially after Wendy sat next to her, Irene took note.

Her brows furrowed, deep in thought. What about Joy and Jennie then? Does that mean she had nothing to worry about? Irene shook her head, and along with that were those thoughts. 

"Uhmm unnie?" Seulgi spoke up, breaking Irene's line of thoughts, and at the corner of her eyes she may or may not have noticed Jennie glaring at the bear-like girl.

"Yes, Seul? What is it?" Irene smiled, trying to lure out some reaction from the Vice President.

Seulgi's eyes roamed around before she gave Irene a pleading adorable look, "Could I be excused from this meeting?"

Irene frowned before she realized what her friend's intention and worries were. She nodded, purposely adding a sweet smile which actually made the bear blush, and left Jennie kind of fuming, discreetly of course.

Before Seulgi was out the door, Irene called her back.

"We'll talk later, alright?" Irene reminded to which Seulgi responded with a nod before running off.

Irene noticed the pencil in Jennie's hand break and she's kind of sorry for provoking the young girl and using Seulgi to make her jealous. At least now Irene kind of knows Jennie gets jealous over her.

'Lmao, Irene. She could be crushing on Kang Seulgi for all you know.'

Irene cursed under her breath, at the voices inside her head. It was a possibility she hadn't thought of earlier. She had her hopes up all over again.

 

...

 

Meeting ended rather quickly, with the officers incomplete and it's not like there was much to talk about when there wasn't even half of the council present, which is kind of necessary when finalizing things for the upcoming winter activities but they still have a lot of time anyways so Irene kind of let them get away for now.

Everyone had dispersed almost immediately, leaving her alone with Jennie who decided in helping her sort out some papers and she was more than thankful for the younger girl.

There was a comfortable silence as they worked away but Jennie would cough every now and then and it wasn't long before Irene got fed up with her growing worries.

"Are you sure you're alright?" She asked in worry although her tone remained neutral, "You know what? Go home, Jennie. I can handle things here."

Jennie looked up, hurt in her face and she timidly nodded. Irene would've apologized but the girl already turned her back, grabbing her backpack and lightly walking to the door.

Jennie turned to look back, a serene smile on her face, eyes expressive and even though the heater wasn't that high, Irene found her herself feeling hot, an uncomfortable feeling in her stomach as her heart continued to pound against her chest. Irene found it that she liked the girl the most when she smiles.

"I'll be going then," Jennie breathed and Irene's own almost stopped, suddenly being hit with how much she likes the young girl, "Take care."

And just as Jennie was about to close the door behind her, Irene's mouth moved on her own.

"Jennie, wait I—"

With an expectant look in her eyes, Jennie paused, waiting for Irene to continue her sentence but the latter's words were stuck in .

It seemed like the perfect time, Jennie and Irene all alone, no one to interrupt now that everyone had come home. Outside, the snow starts to fall, kind of making it even more perfect. She knows how much Jennie loves winter.

Her fingers were fidgeting, the tips starting to get cold with the growing anxiety at the pit of her stomach and she was well aware that she had gone paler because Jennie had shot her a worried look. 

Irene takes a deep breath, trying to maintain an eye to eye contact with Jennie as she forced out a smile.

 

"I like you. I've liked you for awhile now, Jennie ah."

 

"Nothing," Irene said before adding another smile, this time more genuine and her voice going softer, "Just take care on your way home too, alright?"

Jennie's smile widened as she nodded, waving at the older girl before finally closing the door. Irene stared at it.

 

"I really like you but I don't know how to say it, I don't know what to do so I keep my mouth shut, frozen on the spot, trying to blame my cold feet on the winter breeze."