Sleep

Be My Light

Leo whined as he rolled over under the quilt, pushing his hair from his face and staring up at the ceiling. His vision was hazy with sleep. Slowly, he became aware of the arm draped under his neck and turned his head. Wonshik was still deep in his slumber, soft snores leaving his parted lips every few moments. Leo just stared. Part of him could imagine himself being in love with Wonshik; it was the only part of his past he had been able to imagine. The soldier (although he knew he did not always hold that position) was gentle with him in ways he could not fathom any other person being.

But was that okay? Hakyeon, his own brother, did not seem to mind and Jaehwan and Sanghyuk were very friendly with him as they joked around and tried to keep him entertained. They had told him a few stories about how Wonshik used to fawn and pine over him and complain how he left them with his share of the workload. They told him and they laughed, fondly. But was such a relationship permitted? He had never heard of two men having a relationship before. All the books he had read... there had only been relationships between men and women... 

Gingerly, he reached out a hand and ran the back of his fingers down the side of Wonshik's face, scarcely making contact for fear of waking his guard.  That night when they had sneaked out of the palace to get some fresh air, it had felt nice when he had kissed his cheek. It had felt light, shy; fleeting. Wonshik had been conscious of not pushing the boundaries he had been given. Leo suddenly found himself wishing that he would kiss again. On his other cheek maybe, or his forehead- perhaps it could be like their little experiment.  He remembered what Wonshik had said about him in the past- how he had liked his hair and liked to entangle them both with his legs- and bit his lip. Wonshik was still fast asleep.

Drawing a breath, he took off his long wig and dropped it on the floor beside the bed before enclosing his fingers around the soldier's wrist gently and lifted it up, placing his large palm on his head. Then, slowly and carefully, slipped one of his legs under Wonshik's, curling further into him. His layers of skirts shifted up above his knee as he did so, accommodating his movement. 

He lay frozen for a few moments, debating whether or not he enjoyed such a position. He wasn't used to such proximity; it was alien to him. But it wasn't bad. He felt warm under the duvet and he didn't mind the feeling of Wonshik's fingers loosely placed on his hair at all. It felt a little soothing if he was honest. 
Suddenly, he felt Wonshik shift beside him and scooted away to the edge of the mattress. He squeezed his eyes closed and pulled up the blanket so it was hiding most of his face like a child. 

 

He heard Wonshik groan beside him and felt the bed shake as he squirmed around before everything became still once more. Leo peered over the edge to the quilt and sighed: he was still asleep. 

 

*~*~*~*~*~*

 

"Is the Princess doing well?"

Hakyeon watched from across the table as King Gongchan manoeuvered his compass along the large map in front of him. He cleared his throat and nodded hesitantly "Indeed she is, your majesty. Unfortunately, she is still in mourning for her kingdom." He was careful in what he said. He needed to keep his brother as hidden away as possible. The young king looked up at him with concerned eyes, setting his instruments down and lacing his fingers beneath his chin. "Of course," he said, "To lose one's family is a terrible shock to the system- you know that well enough."

They fell into a short silence. Hakyeon thought of his mother, his father; his brother. It was truly a gift to have found him alive. But, without his memories, Taekwoon was still as good as dead. He still had many doubts; what if he never regained his past? Would he be able to love Leo as he had Taekwoon? Would Wonshik? Any of them? "Hongbin is very well," he changed the subject, not wanting to dwell. 

"Ah, yes," Gongchan grinned "I miss him very much. I do believe he is due a royal visit around the end of this year." Hakyeon chuckled and shook his head. Crown or no crown, Hongbin's childhood companion never changed. "He is very busy settling the peace with the North at the moment but I am sure he will be in contact soon- he misses you too, you know. He hasn't seen you since before our mother died." 

"Do you remember all those years ago?" Gongchan sighed heavily as he got to his feet and walked slowly over to the window, hands linked behind his back. "When we used to spend all our days outside?"

"The four of us," Hakyeon smiled sadly, also getting to his feet and following the young king. 

Gongchan nodded "You three were like my own brothers."

He looked down briefly and the elder laid a gentle hand on his shoulder. "We are not boys anymore, Gongchan. Much has changed but we cannot allow ourselves to be weighted in the past." It would be a lie to say he did not feel sorry for him. Gongchan had become king at a much younger age than any of them had expected. Gone were the days he would spend in Nydlica as he was rushed back to his homeland, Sora, to rule- he had only been nineteen at the time. He had once told Hakyeon and his brothers that he had felt more Nyd than Sor in his blood as he grew up. 

"I completely agree with you," the young king said, spinning round and pulling a thick, woven chain that hung on the wall. A maid came scurrying in, bowing her head. "Go and fetch our guest, Mae, I would like to introduce him to Lord Hakyeon here."

"You have somebody else here?" Hakyeon frowned slightly, not liking the idea of yet another stranger being so close to his brother. But Gongchan seemed at ease and smiled, tilting his head. "I have hired a new advisor," he explained, "He seems quite a distinguished gentleman. He comes from your quarter of the land, I believe."

Hakyeon was swallowed thickly, definitely set on edge now. "He is Nydlican?"

Suddenly, the door opened once more and the sound of riding boots on the marble floor filled the air. He turned and he felt the blood drain from his face. The man before him was most definitely of his homeland. He shared the same tall build, dark eyes, and broad shoulders which were typical of his people. He wore a gleaming white tunic and dark grey trousers, his eyes lined with thick gold liner- traditional Sorian attire. Hakyeon often saw Gongchan in the same garb. The man's hair was thin and greying- almost white in some areas- and swept back off his face.  

"Good morning, your majesty," he bowed. He wore a smile that was broad and gracious. Gongchan gave an acknowledging nod before gesturing to Hakyeon beside him, who stood frozen to the spot. "My Lord, I wish for you to meet my esteemed friend: Prince Hakyeon, royal advisor to the King of Nydlica. I trust you two will be working very closely in future," he chuckled. 

The man grinned and stepped forward, hand outstretched for Hakyeon to take. "Pleasure to meet you. I am King Gongchan's new companion." 

 

I'm back! With an update! What sorcery is this?!