Refuge

Be My Light

                                                                                                                     Intimate Barefoot Elopement in the Columbia River Gorge

 

Wonshik sat beside Leo, the elder's long hair as he slept on the mossy ground by the river. Hakyeon had ordered him to roll around and get his new gown dirty to make their story more believable, but the younger man had simply fallen into a deep slumber the moment his head had hit the soft floor. "He has become quite cute, hasn't he?" Sanghyuk grinned as he polished his sword. 

"He was always cute," Wonshik mumbled "He just didn't like to show it off." He leaned down and gave his lover a soft kiss on the forehead, taking advantage of his drowsy state. Leo let out a small moan and to his side. "How are we going to make him remember?" Jaehwan asked from his place in the shallow water, trying to get cool. His brows knitted together slightly "He doesn't even like us at the moment."

Hakyeon scowled "He does too," he argued "He's just a little scared is all. It'll soon wear off and he'll be back to normal in no time." Wonshik sighed and sat back on his heels, looking around. The horses were tethered to a tree, pawing at the muddy earth with their hooves restlessly. "We need a tactic," he groaned, tipping his head back "He's never going to remember us at this rate... and I don't think I can make him..." He looked down at his hands, and bit his lip. He knew he wouldn't be able to make this Taekwoon, Leo, fall in love with him again. It wouldn't be possible. The prince was more guarded than before, more shy even- and Taekwoon had never once hated him.

"Wonshik," Sanghyuk called, gaining his attention once more "He'll get better; he's a little damaged right now but he will."

 

*******************

 

King Gongchan's castle was much grander and larger than the one back in Nydlica. It was constructed of heavy, white stones and red tiles- as were the national colours of the kingdom. The front gates were made of an intensely polished, imposing gold that left dark shadows on the grounds outside. 

The throne room was full of beautiful red marble and gold-framed mirrors and portraits. Leo held clutched his skirts nervously, eyes darting round the room where all the courtiers and nobles stared at him, some muttering about the state of his dress, how he was barefoot; what big feet he had. It was enough to make him want to hide himself away. Jaehwan walked in front of him while Sanghyuk took the back and Wonshik beside him, hand resting on the hilt of his sword. "Gongchan!" Hakyeon cried, mouth curving into a wide, friendly grin as he bowed deeply. The King didn't look much older or younger than Hongbin with short, wavy brown hair and bright, enthusiastic eyes. His rich clothes even looked a little big on him, as though he had been a boy playing in his father's old clothes. "Prince Hakyeon! Good to see you! Are you well?" His gaze travelled behind his friend to the young lady and the soldiers stood behind him. "My my, who is this?"

"I am afraid she is a princess of one of the small coastal kingdoms," Hakyeon began, expression suddenly sobering "We came accross her home deserted and destroyed, her family slaughtered at the hands of one of the wild hoards that terrorise our lands." Leo chewed the inside of his cheek, face beginning to heat up. If he didn't know any better, he would have believed Hakyeon's stroytelling himself. The man was a formidable actor. 

"We found her crouched behind a rosebush in the grounds, left there hidden in the garden by her nursemaid, no doubt. She was terrified but not harmed. We agreed to take her with us out of the kindness of our hearts and we hope you too can find a place for her in your own." Hakyeon bowed deeply once more and stepped to the side "Come on, Princess." 

Leo's eyes widened and his head snapped up, fist tightening around his skirt. Hesitantly, he took the elder's hand and allowed himself to be led forward, curtsying clumsily and meekly. "What is your name, your highness?" King Gongchan smiled. Leo looked at Hakyeon for a second, panicking. What was his name? Think, Leo, think!

"Princess Leah."

Everybody's gaze snapped to Wonshik, who bowed his head respectfully. "Her name is Princess Leah." He twisted slightly and winked at Leo before straightening "She is still in shock, I am afraid, sire."

"Of course," Gongchan smiled gently in understanding and Wonshik could see why he and Hongbin were best friends. They were very alike in their manners. "A pretty name for a pretty face, if I may be so bold." Leo blushed terribly but forced a small, polite smile. He squeaked a small 'thank you' and Gongchan chuckled. "You will stay in the palace until we can get you back on your feet," he told them softly, although leaving no room for argument as the council and court muttered amongst themselves about the dirty, tired looking lady in front of them. 

"Now!" He continued loudly, causing everybody to jump "Hakyeon, what on earth has happened to your men?"

 

*********************

 

The priest groaned as he lowered himself onto one of the benches around the edge of the cathedral beside where the main congregation would usually sit. He wasn't as young as he used to be. Taking off his cap, he took his handkerchief from his sleeve and wiped his forehead. He had been on edge all day, unable to relax for even a second. He hoped Leo was okay; that those soldiers were taking care of him. 

A prince... It would explain so much: his eloquence of speech, his physicality, his standard of personal hygene- even in the attic he managed to keep himself spotless. He had always been poised, elegant in movement, and yet strong. A prince...

Suddenly, the door of the catheral opened and he looked up to see a tall, hooded man enter, dripping wet from the rain that was hammering down outside. "Good evening, Father," he said, voice husky and deep as he raised his hand in greeting- as was this town's way. 

"Evening," the old man nodded back, struggling to his feet "May I help you in any way?"

"Yes," the man removed his hood, revealing large, fierce eyes and sharp features "I am looking for a young man. With dark hair and feline eyes; he is fairly tall too- not of this kingdom." 

The Father frowned and hobbled over, a sickeningly worried feeling washing through him "May I ask why?" But the stranger simply smiled, putting a hand on his shoulder "We have some unfinished business."

There was a long pause.

"I have seen nobody of that description enter this church." The Father watched as the stranger's smile dropped from his lips. "There were some men here two days ago asking the same question but I gave them the same answer."

"I see," the man lifted his hood and reached out his hand, which the elder took warily. 

He opened his mouth to say something when, suddenly, a sharp pain in his chest cut him off. He let out a choked gasp and looked down. The hilt of a dagger was protruding from his body, a large, red stain beginning to soak his white robes. His body began to tremble and he fell forward into the man's arms. The stranger grunted under his weight before releasing a dark chuckle.

"I don't appreciate being lied to."

 

Now, I know what you're all thinking....

tumblr_o896bxstbz1rl3g6ho1_400.gif (268×268)

what is this hakyeon gif | WiffleGif Love it, but I can't find what this is from :(

When I meet EXO (GIF)

 

But I can explain, I swear! 

 

Also, for those of you reading Into the Void- the update will be up soon- and things are hotting up for Wontaek! (In more ways than one) And more y times are in stall for them ^.~