It's All Fun And Games, Right?

Be My Light

The next few days all blurred into one for Leo. It was always the same routine: he would wake up, go to his door where Wonshik and his soldier friends had been guarding, let them know he was getting ready, change into his God-awful disguise, then sit in his room (which was much to big and grand for his liking) playing games with the three of them all day. It was boring.

The worst thing though, he had found, was waking up in that massive bed alone. It was big enough to fit at least three people comfortably and he was expected to lie in it alone. It made it seem somewhat cold despite the plush layers of blankets and number of goose feather cushions that swallowed him whenever he climbed onto it. 

Hakyeon rarely came to spend time with them as he had lots of important meetings and discussions to attend, so had left it in the hands of Wonshik, Jaehwan and Sanghyuk to keep his younger brother entertained. This was never too hard. Leo had begun to like their company as Jaehwan told endless jokes and funny stories about their adventures and Sanghyuk taught him all the card tricks he knew- that boy was a magician, he swore. Wonshik was more quiet but was always there to lend a hand or to answer any of his questions. He had even helped him write a letter to the Father back in the town, which filled both sides of a single piece of paper, before ordering a messenger to take it to the old man and return with the reply. There had been none yet. 

Despite his protests, all three insisted on calling him 'your highness' or 'my lord' and many of his questions tended to be about the kingdom they came from or Hakyeon and what their relationship was like. But, unbenongst to him, Wonshik only shared the good things with him: how the harvest was always rich and the people loved and respected the royal family, how his younger brother was a king and that the three brothers got on very well, and how many beautiful princesses would seek out the young princes in hopes of marrying them. Leo had hidden his face in his hands at that and they had all laughed at him.

Leo stuck his tongue out at the three "Stop laughing at me!"

"You still act like such a child," Wonshik chuckled, shaking his head.

"You're a child," the prince pouted. Niether of them had brought up the incident in the alleyway, Wonshik too embarrassed and Leo not knowing exactly how to say anything. The soldier just knew to be cautious when he was around him; he worked hard to gain Leo's trust as Jaehwan and Sanghyuk had. "Why can't we go outside? The gardens look lovely." He looked out the window longingly, before turning back to the others, his eyes wide and pleading.

Jaehwan scrunched up his nose and shook his head "It's best you stay in here, you're highness."

"Why?" He asked, although he already knew the answer.

"For your own safety," Sanghyuk sighed, folding his arms across his chest and leaning back on the headboard of the bed, making sure to keep his dirty boots off the expensive red linens. Leo huffed and tipped his head back. That was the excuse they always used. What on earth could possibly be dangerous out there? 

Wonshik sat and watched the elder, hating to see him so frustrated. He knew it wasn't fair on him; nobody had explained anything yet for fear of scaring him again. But, maybe it would make all this a little easier if he knew...

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Leo woke up when a hand was clasped over his mouth. His eyes blew wide open and he froze as they landed upon a large figure standing above his bed. He let out a soft whimper as the person raised a finger to their lips and shushed him. They stepped forward slightly so their face was illuminated by the shard of light streaming in from inbetween the half-drawn curtains. "Get up," they hissed, taking their hand away from the stunned man's face. They threw him a large shirt and trousers and he gulped thickly "W- Wonshik?"

"Hurry up!" The soldier urged, sitting on the edge of the bed. He looked like had been dragged out of bed himself, hair all messy and clothes all rumpled- it was the first time the elder had seen him without his uniform on. It was kind of nice seeing him dressed plainly. He actually looked friendly like this. "I will wait here for you."

Leo nodded and gathered the clothes into his arms, jumping out of his bed and hurrying behind the silk screen in the corner. However, he paused before he disappeared behind it "What's happening?" He whispered. 

"I'm taking you somewhere. But we need to be quiet and hurry, okay?"

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

"Woah!"

"Have you never seen the night sky before?"

Leo gaped and spun around in a slow circle, arms outspread, before dropping down and laying down on his back on the soft grass. "Only from the tower," he grinned "It looks bigger out here." Wonshik snickered and shook his head, getting down beside him and gazing up at the navy blue, diamond studded sky. 

 

The peasant blinked at him but gripped his hand, pulling him up beside him with some effort. The man was surprisingly light though, despite his height. He helped him scramble up a few more branches before they were both standing higher in the tree, getting almost a perfect view of the palace grounds. He could see the crowds beginning to gather on the grand patio- there were so many people. Although he had never been caught before, he would have to be especaially careful this time. 

Wonshik looked at the young man beside him, watching his eyes dance with wonder as he stared upward "Pretty, isn't it?" he mumbled, also turning his attention upward. Taekwoon hummed in agreement and he grinned before continuing "Me and my friends always try and spot the constellations. Like that one," he squinted and pointed in the general direction of what he saw "That's the big dipper." He had begun to feel an overwhelming need to impress this man; he didn't know why. But he liked showing off to him. 

Taekwoon tilted his head and frowned, struggling to see it "The one that looks like a plough?"

Wonshik looked between him and the sky for a few moments, puzzled, before laughing "Yeah, I guess it does look a little like a plough."

 

"Aquila," he mumbled, pointing up above him.

Leo frowned and turned to look at him, confused "What?"

"The eagle constellation," he told him, shuffling a little closer so the lost prince could follow his finger "There, you see? Wings, the body..."

He watched as Leo's face scrunched up and he tilted his head "Oh yeah. Funny looking eagle though," he giggled, hiding his mouth behind his hand. Wonshik rolled his eyes and nudged him playfully "You're supposed to use your imagination, you tree nut."

"Hey!" Leo protested in between spurts of laughter, trying to wiggle away but Wonshik wrapped and arm round him, holding him close "I'm supposed to be royalty, you know." 

At this, the soldier paused and released him, moving back to his original position. Leo's face sobered and he gnawed on the inside of his cheek, suddenly feeling very awkward. "W- What was I like? You know, as a prince and all." He hoped he wasn't too different. He hoped he hadn't been some stuck-up, selfish, lonely aristocrat. He knew he got on well with Hakyeon and his other brother- that was about it. 

Wonshik paused to think for a while "Well, you were pretty damn stubborn and pretty clumsy too; there was a time when you had climbed up to one of the highest shelves in the library and couldn't get down because you got scared of how high it was." He snorted at the memory.

Leo smiled and twisted onto his side "How did I get down?"

The soldier's face quickly dropped and his frowned slightly "I got you down. I managed to convince you to let go and I caught you..." He began to blink rapidly. The elder watched him silently for a second, seeing his eyes beginning to build up with tears.

"Don't cry," he mumbled "Tell me about..." He paused and swallowed thickly "Us."