Chapter 3

Classmate, Partner, or Soulmate

'Did Jongup breakup?'

The second Hyorin saw you, all that came from was Jongup, Jongup, and more Jongup. She made you feel as though you were an encyclopedia on Moon Jongup.

'Why are you asking me that?' You frowned as you found an empty table in the canteen, while your friend tagged closely behind you. How did our conversations diminish to revolve only around Moon Jongup?

'I saw Minah with another guy the other day, during the weekends, at the cinema downtown.' Minah was his on-and-off girlfriend, and now, supposed ex. You vaguely remembered how the female would make a huge fuss in the canteen or somewhere prominent about breaking up with Jongup, only to see them back together again a few days later. And the cycle repeats. 

Shrugging, you dug into your food as you eyed the huge clock at the end of the room, mentally taking note how much time you could spare before your next class. 'Why do you keep asking about him anyway?'

'He's literally a superstar, and you're the closest I can get to him.'

You're making me feel like a superstar, sticking to me closer than usual. And if you look at how he behaves in class, he's definitely not some superstar you can look up to.

You stopped in the midst of your thoughts to think if you were bashing him too much and accidentally missed out some good points of his. But shook your head to yourself.

'So, is there anything interesting about him? Does he have any cute habits during lesson?' 

Her effort to find out more about Jongup was commendable, seeing how someone who loves food isn't even touching it at that moment. You didn't know his existence was so - impactful. 'I don't know.' I wouldn't categorize sleeping and using his phone throughout lessons under the word 'cute'.

'Right. Why am I asking a nerd. I should be thankful that you even knew Jongup exists.' Seeing your lack of enthusiasm and response, Hyorin finally began her lunch, not forgetting to let out a loud sigh, supposedly directed at you, before that. 

'I don't live under a rock.' And have you even seen his dancing skills? But you kept the latter to yourself. Nobody, except you, know that Jongup was your role model in dancing, Everyone simply assumed for it to be Daehyun. 

However, realising how your idol-figure has unpleasant study habits made you want to bury that secret even more deeper. 




 





As the minute hand edged closer to 12, Hyunsik started to tidy up his work area while people gradually cleared the studios one by one. But a certain person made him have a double take when he recognised the male who was lingering at the counter. The catalog was the only thing on the table, and he wasn't sure what Jongup was looking for as the latter drummed his fingers on the counter. 

'Double detention again?'

Trying to be nonchalant. but failing at it, Jongup could not help but to cough as he shook his head. Who knew that he could remember something when Jongup only mentioned it once? Bad impressions really does make a greater impact.

'It's not that- I just felt like coming today...' Jongup's eyes darted down the corridor before realising that he could simply check the catalog to see if she had already leave, and his hand immediately grabbed for the book, which got a questioning look from Hyunsik. Took him long enough to spot that neon green covered book on the black counter...

'So you're not coming on Tuesdays anymore?'

'Maybe, depends on my mood.' She left already? He quickly glanced at the clock hanging behind the counter. That's just barely five minutes before I came out-

'Jongup, mind helping me look after the things for a while? While I go close up the rooms.'

'Sure.' Jongup mindlessly accepted, as his hands unconsciously fiddled with the papers in the book. But if I want to catch her, I'll have to leave now... Why did she leave so early anyways, she didn't even finish up until hyung was closing up the rooms last week... Perhaps she accidentally left her things behind? Then she'll have to come back or-

'Damn, Hyemin left her phone and card.' That one sentence instantly brought a smile to his face as he quickly grabbed the said items off his palm.

'I'll past it to her. See you next week hyung!'

'See you?' Hyunsik waved back to the door that closed on him as the younger one immediately disappeared. Maybe he wasn't looking for the catalog after all. I should have known... 




 



This silly girl. He smiled as he fiddled with your bus card in his hands. Didn't know that you were this clumsy. Taking out his phone, he snapped a picture of the small picture of your face. Now that I have something to blackmail you with-

 



, did I leave it behind? You thought to yourself as you shoved your hands into your pockets, only to find scrap pieces of sweet wrappers that you might have forgotten to throw away. You couldn't find your card, or even your phone. And I can't even tell the time now- At least I still have my keys with me... I'll just have to come back-

Just then you felt a rough grip on your arm and turned around to come face to face with a middle-age man who reeked of alcohol, his body tilted dangerously to the right as he tried to keep himself upright, his eyes barely open. 'Sooyoung-ah-'

'I'm sorry, you've gotten the wrong person,' Attempting to remain calm, you quickly tried shrugging his grip off, but you were pulled closer to him as his grip tightened instead.

'Soo-'

You mentally cursed in your head for this to happen to you after you have drained all your energy from nearly two hours of dancing. Am I supposed to kick his-

I'm sorry but this is going to hurt-
You groaned as you mustered all your energy that remained and twisted his arm behind your back, which immediately got him to loosen his grip on you as he fell to the ground with a loud shriek.

You instantly heaved a sigh of relief as you finally caught your breathe, thankful that it ended before you could get into any more trouble. And quickly muttering a sorry and gave a slight bow before hurriedly resuming your route home.





The moment you felt something come in contact with your skin again, you were all pepared to scream this time, too mentally distraught and restless to put up a fight. But you immediately calmed down when you saw a familiar face, sparing yourself from a heart attack. Or so you thought.

'Soulmate, it's me. You okay? I saw you-' His eyes scanned your figure from top to bottom, checking if you were unharmed, only to realise that he might have scared you out of your wits with his sudden appearance. 

'Moon J-Jongup-' You gasped as you grabbed onto the nearest thing around you for support, which turned out to be his arm. 'You could have said something before touching me-' 

'I'm sorry if I scared you- I just thought-'

'I'm okay. It's okay- I'm okay.' You repeated slowly, before removing your hand from him and quickly turned away as you continued walking.

But Jongup noticed how your shoulders shook slightly as you tried to calm your breathing down. 'Soulmate,'

Right after he called you again, you felt something soft around your shoulders and turned to see him slinging his jacket over your shoulders, before pulling you to his side as he kept his arm over you. 

Jongup kept a firm grip on your shoulder the entire trip as he brought you back home the second consecutive week. Constantly looking down to check on you if you were feeling better, too afraid to say anything. This is becoming a bad trend.

 

 

 



'Will you be okay alone?' Jongup stared into your eyes to check if they were still shaking, but thankfully, you seemed to have more colour in your face than before. 

'Y-Yes.' 

'Call me if anything happens okay?' He watched you as you nodded, 'See you tomorrow.', before giving you a slight pat on your head and turning towards the lift. 

 

You remained mindlessly in place as you looked at where Jongup stood minutes ago after he have left. And you flinched when you heard a click, turning only to find scrap paper being blown onto the ground.

This isn't going to work.


Not realising that it was his jacket that you were still wearing, you pulled it tighter around you, grabbed your keys, and left without taking a step further into your house.

You knew from the start that you would have been unable to stay at home alone, let alone get any sleep at all. But you didn't have the guts to ask Jongup to stay with you. Especially when his stare was making you feel conscious of his presence and you were starting to get confused if you were stuttering because of the incident before, or because of his presence. You smacked your cheeks lightly as your thoughts started to develop the second possibility. No. It's not because of Moon Jongup. 

 

 

 

 

'Oppa can I stay here tonight?'

Daehyun's eyes widened as his mouth hung open slightly in shock as he looked at you at his doorstep, two hours to midnight. And you weren't even holding onto anything. No bag, no wallet, no phone, nothing. 

'Did something happen?' You were immediately pulled into the room as Daehyun closed the door behind you, and found yourself seated down before him on the couch in the next moment. 

'Kind of... Not really... It wasn't anything serious actually-'

'You were with Jongup?'

'How did you know?' Under normal circumstances, Daehyun would have burst out laughing, or at least throw a mocking comment at you. You didn't realise that the jacket you were wearing has 'MOON JONGUP'
printed across the back in gold print, or that it was the jacket that Jongup always wore. 

But it was late at night and you wouldn't have appeared at his doorstep, in Jongup's jacket, for no reason. Hence, his amusement turned into worry. 

 

 

 

'Are you sure nothing else happened to you? Did he do anything?' You have already lost count of how many times Daehyun repeated that as he checked if you have sustained any injuries, both physically and emotionally. 

'I'm really fine, oppa. See? Nothing happened.' You showed him your arms as you turned before him, giving an utmost attempt to persuade him that you were feeling better already. 'I just came over since I wouldn't be able to stay at home alone.' 

At least she didn't ask him to stay with her, at her place, just the both of them alone- Daehyun quickly shook those thoughts away, only to find you eyeing him strangely. Nah, stop thinking about Jongup and her. They've only just met each other. 

'You know where my clothes are right? Go take a shower while I tidy up the room.' He smiled slightly when you pouted as he messed up your hair. She doesn't even notice how cute she is- Cute? Stop it Jung Daehyun. I already said, stop thinking about it. 

 

 

 

 

She's okay right? Will she be able to sleep tonight? Is she still bothered by what happened just now? 

Jongup unconsciously reached for his phone and dialed for your number, only to find it vibrating in his pocket. Great. I didn't even return it to her- Now how am I supposed to find out if she's okay. 



'Hyung, did you hear from-' Jongup started, but he immediately stopped when he heard someone's voice.

'Oppa where will you sleep- Oh sorry, I didn't realize that you were on the phone.' It was a voice that he knew clearly and recognized immediately. The oppa was the giveaway. He was jealous, that you will never, and had no reason to call him that.

'Yeah?' Daehyun answered.  

'Nothing, it's okay already. Thanks hyung.' Well, she's in safe hands, isn't she?

 

 

 

'Who's that?' You asked as you helped Daehyun while he moved some pillows and a blanket to the couch. 

'Jongup.' 

'It's late though. Why did he call?'

'I don't know either. He just called and thanked me. And hung up.' 

'That's weird.' You muttered unconsciously, only to find yourself being pushed towards Daehyun's bed. 

'Yeah it was weird. But you should go sleep. There's still school tomorrow. I'll take the couch.' 


 





IT'S OUT! Jongup's face lit up as a particular poster got him rooted at the notice board. 

And the finals are held at the annual Busan Festival this time?! That's like the biggest event here!

He could feel his excitement bubbling as he continued to skim through the rules and regulations of his favourite dance competition. He was determined to win this year after missing out the previous year's competition due to an injury. But something stopped his hand midair as he reached out for the registration slips.

Oh? They're not accepting dance teams this year? OH. They have to make it pass the preliminary rounds individually. That's interesting. 

Preliminary Rounds - Allocation of 1 Song from 2 Predetermined Songs upon Confirmation of Registration 

A partner of the opposite gender will be required for the Preliminary Round. He/She must not be participating in the competition.

Well, that's new too. I guess it would be weird if two guys were to dance to Trouble Maker or Now. 

But who do I ask to help me? If they are already good at dancing, they would definitely already take part in the competition themselves. Now this is hard...

Right then, a name popped up in his mind.

Or maybe this isn't as hard as it seems. 

She definitely wouldn't participate in the competition, but will she agree to help?

 


 

[A/N] Yay update!

Thank you for all the subscribes and comments so far~ 

Hope that this chapter was okay! (and that I didn't miss out any mistakes) 

And thank you for reading!

<3