Chapter 1

Classmate, Partner, or Soulmate

It's a new academic year. And new academic years meant new classes, new classmates, new teachers, and worst of all - self introductions.

It's okay, two more years and you're out of here. Just two more years. You thought to yourself as you chose a seat towards the back of the class and settled down.

You were fine with saying your name, and the standard 'one thing interesting about yourself'. Since you already had a model answer for the latter part that doesn't reveal much, or any, about yourself, and satisfies, maybe not really, but you didn't care, the teachers' wants.

All you had to do now was, to make sure nobody says the same 'interesting' trait before you, since all the teachers seem to think its important that everyone mentions a different trait-

'I like to sleep.'

As I was saying- You snapped your head to the left, to look at the person who just stole your line, and made sure to send a dead hard glare at him.

Hey- And when you saw the identity of the male, you frowned. He isn't supposed to say that. He's supposed to say he dances a lot or something-

You froze when you finally realised that the class has fallen silent, and that their attention was now on you.

'I sleep a lot.' Your mouth babbled before your mind could process what you were about to say.

'Great the both of you sound like soulmates already.' You could tell that the teacher wasn't pleased that the one rule for self-introductions were broken, and a
 few snickers were heard. 

Great. Great start to the new year with a dorky teacher without a sense of humour to save his life.


 




'You lucky girl.'

'What?' You groaned as you slammed your locker shut before heading in the direction of the canteen.

'Do you not know who you're sitting next to in class?' Your best friend, and perhaps one of the only two friends you have, pestered you as you headed for lunch.

'I don't really want to know.'

'Hello?? Moon Jongup is sitting next to you??' Hyorin was literally screaming into your ears.

'I'd rather sit next to the wall.'

You heard a sigh from her next to you, knowing that she probably found your logic weird again. 'Are you not done with the introductions for the day? Why the angst?'

'I still have two more lessons to go.' And he'd better not be in any of it. His presence is already ticking me off.

'Are you still sitting next to Moon Jongup?' You finally turned to Hyorin whose eyes were shining as she hugged onto her books tightly, looking at you with anticipation. And you knew this wasn't going to be the only day which she would be asking for updates about the said male. In fact, it's only the start. Great, now not only will I get annoyed at him, I'll also get reminded that I'm annoyed at him, constantly. 

'Why are you so excited about me sitting next to a guy who's already attached? And stop mentioning his name. It's triggering.'

'Who's name?' Your ears instantly perked up when you heard his voice, and turned to find Daehyun by your side.

'Oh Daehyun oppa!'

'Looks like someone is happy now.' Hearing a chuckle, you quickly nudged the person next to you.

'So who's the one who has been triggering you? He must have skills, that his name is all that is required.'

'Moon Jongup.' Hyorin chipped in before you said anything. Though it was more of you refusing to mention his name at all.

'The dancer? What did he do to you? Do you want me to go teach him a lesson?' You saw how Daehyun's eyebrows etched in worry as he eyed you and scrutinized your limbs. 'Did he injure you?'

'He exists.' Without realizing it, your tone went down again, to Daehyun's surprise.

Daehyun cocked his head to the side as he watched you walking slightly faster, widening the gap between you and the both of them, and he turned to Hyorin. 'What happened? I've never seen her this angsty before.'

'Nah, it's just her usual first day of school blues. Apparently it's gotten strong enough to tick her off even when she got to sit next to just the most famous and handsome dancer from our school.'

'You mean me?' You rolled your eyes at Daehyun who threw you a wide grin. 'Who else fits that description other than me?'

'Go ahead and think whatever you deem fit.' 





'I don't quite like the way you're seated.' 

And with that one statement, you found the class getting rearranged under the teacher's instructions, which landed you next to him. So much for getting comfortable in your window seat at the back of the class. 

I don't see what's wrong with our seats to be honest.

And I knew I wouldn't like that teacher once I saw him.

It seems as though your displeasure was extremely obvious on your face, either that, or the teacher already hated you from the first half an hour he has seen you that he had to comment again. 'You should be able to get along well since you're soulmates. Don't pull that long face on me.' More snickering. Really? To find that funny? You internally groaned as you took out your notebook for the following lesson.

And when the person next to you had his phone out right smack in the middle of his desk, you knew it was going to be a long year ahead.


 





From: Unknown Number
     Hey soulmate, I think I'm going to be late, can you cover for me? Thanks!


You frowned and swiftly hit a reply.

No.

'Moon Jongup? Where's Moon Jongup?'

'He went to the toilet for while!' You shot your hands up as you pointed to the desk next to yours, books sprawled open as though he was here before.

'Okay.' Without sparing you another glance, the teacher continued reading names off the list.

And you sighed, before pulling your books back to your own desk. Why do I even bother.

It took about ten minutes of you sitting jittery next to an empty seat, before he finally appeared, looking the least apologetic with a wide grin plastered across his face. 'I'm so sorry I wouldn't do it again.' 

That's the third time you've said it this week.

'I really thought you wouldn't help me anymore though.' He mumbled, and you weren't quite sure if he accidentally thought it out loud, or if it was for you to hear.

Me too.

'But it's okay. We're almost done with the week. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be late that often anymore.'

Of course. It's Wednesday today. And you only can be late for two more days. Which is one fewer compared to Monday to Wednesday.

'So, did I miss anything?'

'Do you really want to know?' You finally answered, half hoping that you would finally get a response that you wanted to hear, but you knew better.

'No, not really.'

'Then don't ask.'


 

 



Jongup was quite disheartened when he found out that his new tablemate was a study freak. And he was all ready to keep his distance from you when he realised that you didn't like him either. It didn't take too long for him to notice, seeing that he didn't know of many people who didn't like him. 

But when he noticed that your actions don't really match your words, he unknowingly found himself trying to find out more things about you. And perhaps the very first on his list was the to know the reason behind your dislike towards him. 




'Hey soulmate.'

You turned to glare at him, before turning your attention back to the lecturer.

'What? Can't I just say hi?'

Jongup shrugged as he looked at you for a while longer, before going back to his phone. Does she just hate humans in general? I don't see her hanging out with people that often. All she does is study. Is she even in any school clubs? ... But at least she's bothering to turn her head to glare at me instead of ignoring me throughout. That's a start.  


 



'Soulm-'

'You should probably stop calling me soulmate when you're attached.'

OHH, is that why she's avoiding me? Because she has feelings for me but I'm already taken? Jongup immediately felt an unnecessary ego-boost as he tagged behind you while the both of you left the lecture hall. 

'It's okay, I'm sure she doesn't mind.'

I'm pretty sure any girl will mind.

Jongup was expecting you to say something else, but to no avail. Really, she make me feel like a sinner for absolutely no reason at all. 

'That's it? That's all you're going to say?'

'What else am I supposed to say?'

'I was just trying to be friendly, why the angst?'

You tried to ignore the not so stealthy glances your schoolmates were throwing at you as you walked down the corridor.

Because thanks to you my all time low profile is now at stake.

'Hyeminie!' Jongup was startled when a figure suddenly appeared behind the both of you and flung his arm over your shoulders. But he too noticed that you didn't seem too occupied with Daehyun's presence, and arm. Realising that he was being stared at, he turned and threw a smile at Jongup. 'Oh you're here too Jongup? Going to meet your girlfriend?' 

'Uh- Yeah hyung.'

'See you then!' Daehyun exclaimed before pulling you away.

Just then, he had the urge to go: Daehyun hyung, she's a tough nut to crack, you'd better not have your hopes up.

'The usual?'

'Why bother asking when you already know the answer.'

Until he saw it. A smile from you that he had never seen before.

 

 




'I made a special request, you don't need me to help you check in or out anymore.' Daehyun told you as he tossed you a bottle of water. 

The both of you sat in the dance studio as you leaned against the wall, tired from yet another practice, but feeling satisfied nonetheless. 

'I didn't know you could do that?' You asked, suddenly questioning why he would make the extra trips to do so if he didn't had to. 

'Probably because they know you're a regular and you don't mess up the place. And most importantly,'

'Most importantly?' You urged him as you placed your towel down, and saw a smug smile on his face. 

'How can they not trust MY best friend? As long as they hear 'Jung Daehyun', I'll get anything.' 

'Tsk. I saw that coming.'

'I don't get why you're so cooped up with not letting anyone know though.'

'Having a low profile is comfortable. I find it comfortable.'

'But it's not like booking a room under your name will reveal anything.'

'Oppa, it's visible in the catalog. And you don't just book a dance studio to study because you feel like it. It'll be a waste of resources.'

'Okay okay. My bad for venturing into that topic.'

'Are you going to keep dancing alone? Secretly?' With that question, you eyed Daehyun strangely.

'It's not much of a secret when you know.'

'You could have invited me now and then.'

'I thought asking you to open and lock up the room was already enough of a trouble.'

'Well, I'm trying to say that it's not much of a trouble right now.'

'But you've always nagged at me for making you come all the way here just to sign your name and retrieve the keys-'

'That's why you should have offered to share the- Oh never mind.' 

'What? Oppa you didn't finish your sentence.' You pulled onto his hand as the male stood up. 

'It's late. They have to close up the place already.' Giving you a strong tug, you were pulled up onto your feet while he took your things from you. 

This girl is too dense. Can't she take the hints already?

 


 

[A/N] Yay first chapter is up! Hope that this chapter wasn't a disappointment and that it was okay!

Do feel free to comment and subscribe too <3

Thank you!

<3