Part 2

Let Me Paint You - Discontinued
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: This story is becoming a lot of fun. I do want to keep it short but I'll also see how long I can keep it going. This will be the last update for a while since my semester has started, but I will try and write one Part 3 asap!

Enjoy!

*

                Taecyeon had established a bit of a routine. He woke up in the morning and had his tea or coffee, which was dependent upon the weather. Coffee was for rainy days, tea the hiking ones when the sun was high in the sky or bursting through the fog. He called Mrs. Lee every couple days to let her know he was okay, which she said she appreciated each time. It made him feel like he was speaking with his own grandmother.

                Rain or shine he would go to the shrine after breakfast. Sometimes he would find him there but he usually kept his distance. Other times it was just the deer. Following this, if it was raining he would return to the cabin and draw the scenery around his humble abode. On sunny days – which were by far his favourite – he would venture into the woods. Each time he went a different way.

                Everything was just so rich in colour, in smell and the air was just so wonderful. Taecyeon felt himself growing stronger and more aware of things every day. The trails around the mountain were not overly prominent but he never got lost. A part of that was probably due to the deer or the spirit of the forest himself.

                As the days wore on and Taecyeon got to see more and more of the forest and valley, he had three places he particularly liked to go.

                The first was an open meadow on the south-facing slope of the mountain. It took about three hours one way to reach it so embarking early in the morning was a must. It was wonderful to be there. The grasses were so delicate. The second time he went it was a windy day and the sound the grasses made had him entranced for hours as he sketched. It was at this spot that the deer was often with him. There were small blue flowers all over the meadow. They had a very unique colour and he hoped that he would be able to capture them with colour when he was ready.

                The second place was a trek up the mountain directly behind the cabin. It was steep but not overly worrisome. He climbed up and up until he came to a ledge. From here, he got the best views of the entire valley. One day he aspired to climb up to the summit. It was the days he ventured up here that he noticed Junho watching over him the most. Every time Taecyeon would take notice of him Junho would feign ignorance. Taecyeon liked to think the forest spirit was worrying for him and it made him feel safe. Taecyeon loved drawing from the ledge. The vastness of the valley always enamoured him. The forest spirit would sometimes loom over his shoulder, trying to be secretive, but would always ask for Taecyeon’s sketchbook afterwards.

                “Do you like it?” He asked one time.

                A curious thing happened when he asked this, and to this day Taecyeon still didn’t understand. For a long time Junho looked upon the drawing sadly. He handed Taecyeon’s sketchbook back without a word and vanished. However, he always accompanied Taecyeon when he made his descent back down the mountain.

                The third place. It was by far Taecyeon’s most favourite. The morning following a particularly hot night, Junho had actually pressed a hand to Taecyeon's forehead while he sat outside with his morning tea. The temperatures had stayed relatively high into the morning, and the weather forecaster announced that there would be record breaking temperatures throughout the day as well.

                "You are quite warm today." The forest spirit murmured.

                "So are you." He said as he watched Junho mull over his thoughts. Rising up from his seat he made his way back inside and began to clean the dishes. He opened the window, and while a hot breeze came in, Junho often perched himself within and sprouted little flowers when he was bored.

                “I want to take you somewhere.” Junho said as he came up to the window.

                “You know you can come inside, right?”

                “No, this place is made from dead trees. I don’t like not feeling the life in them and walking all over them.” Junho grumbled and leaned against the window sill.

                “You’re touching them right now?”

                Junho shot back and rested his arms on his hips.

                “Didn’t you also break in here and take my sketchbook once?”

                “I don’t have to take you to the water place.” He grumbled.

                “Sorry, sorry, I would love to go.” He said as he finished packing his bag. “You’re being awfully inviting today.”

                Junho shrugged, “you’ll be able to escape the heat there.”

                Taecyeon paused and watched him beginning to walk west. Taecyeon hurried to collect the remainder of his things and then ran after him. Junho remained several paces ahead of him for the entire walk. Taecyeon took in the surroundings as they went. For a time, they travelled along a more well beaten path than most, until they came to a different part of the forest. From this point, Junho remained very close to him. There were no paths here, and Taecyeon began to notice little flittering things in the air. There were also different trees, much larger and the smell that drifted from them as the temperatures rose was amazing.

                “Rest here for a while.” Junho said to him. “There’s a brook with fresh water just over there.”

                “I don’t mind if we keep going.” Taecyeon said as he took out his water bottle.

                “I care. You are human.” Junho reminded him. “You shouldn’t push yourself so hard.”

                Taecyeon sat back. “For someone who doesn't like humans you care an awful lot for people...”

                This of course got the forest spirit flustered. “There are those that wander into my trees...and do not make it out.” Junho said softly. “I can’t save every single one of you, no matter how hard I try.”

                Taecyeon thought back to the first night he was here and his tumble down the slope. “Why did you help me?”

                Junho turned to him quickly and seemed mad. “You dare ask me why? You placed the doll within the earth and made me human for you. So ungrateful-”

                “Okay, I’m sorry. I just-”

                “I can’t control life and death.” Junho interrupted and rested his hand against Taecyeon’s chest. “If I could save everyone...don’t you think I would also save my trees?” He asked looking into Taecyeon’s eyes.

                There was a deepness there, a pain. Taecyeon made to ask more but Junho vanished from his sight. He also came to the conclusion that he shouldn’t impose so many questions on the forest spirit. Life and death was a sensitive subject for him, too.

                When he came to the brook, the drink of water from it was beyond wonderful. Especially with the heat, he hadn’t realised just how parched and warm he was, and it startled him. After a cool down and rest, Junho came to his side once more and checked his temperature.

                “We’ll be there soon. The air will be cooler on the way back.”

                “Will you still be around when my friends come?”

                “The lovers, right?” Junho asked. “The gardener and the cook.”

                Taecyeon’s brow rose. “Yes, I guess so?”

                “They are respectful people. One of them looks like an old friend from long ago.” Junho said as he motioned for him to follow.

                “That would be Hwang Chansung.” Taecyeon said as he began walking again.

                “Hwang...” Junho murmured.

                Taecyeon looked over him as they went. Junho seemed to be pondering and then his face lit up.

                “I had been starting to forget." He said after a while. "The only one who comes to speak with me now is the one who loves berries. She hardly comes now because of her age." Junho shared with a fond smile. "But yes, Hwang, that was the name he told me. I asked him why you humans have names. He said it was a way to give...identity?”

                “Yeah, you could say that.”

                “This was many, many, many years ago now. I remember being very mad at him because he was cutting down my trees.” Junho huffed and let his hand trail through the small shrubs as they walked. “He asked me what he could give me in exchange for being able to live in my forests. I didn’t want to give him anything. I told him he was a scavenger and a thief for harming my trees.”

                “Obviously you came to some agreement.”

                Junho sighed as he closed his eyes. “It wasn’t by choice." He said. "He was a nice man, but he was full of anger and always wanted to take and take when he was young. But, you humans never fail to surprise me. Others came and took more than he ever did. They stripped the earth, destroyed lives. The places they took from are still quiet places. The trees which grow there now never speak to me. They used to have such lovely stories.” Junho’s sadness was very deep, but he perked up. “Long ago Hwang said he would never let other humans take my trees. He said no more places would lose their voices. His son and then that one's son and so on made the same promise.” Junho shared and his eyes changed to that wonderful green. “To this day...no one else has come to take them from me.”

                “He must have loved this forest.”

                Junho whimpered and shoved him. “You are saying he loved me, human.”

                “Well, he must have.” Taecyeon chuckled. “Your forest is very beautiful.”

                This of course caused Junho’s face to go very red and he began fanning himself. “Why do I feel this way when you say these things?”

                “Feel what way?” Taecyeon asked, and he tried very hard not to sound pleased.

                “Hush you. I refuse to give into your whimsy.” Junho huffed and marched on ahead.

                Taecyeon couldn’t help himself. “I’m beginning to think you like me.”

                “No.” Junho said bluntly and quickly.

                Taecyeon laughed.

                “Cheeky brat.”

                Taecyeon was very fond of Junho calling him that.

                Soon, Taecyeon began to hear the loud roar of water. The trees began to space themselves and they came to a large waterfall. The rock surface surrounding the large pool were smoothened and parts of them sparkled in the sunlight.

                “Wow, this place is amazing.” Taecyeon said as he set down his gear.

                It was definitely cooler, which was a saving grace, and the loudness of the water thundered through the air. When he turned to speak to Junho he found the spirit of the forest walking into the water and collapsing within. A delicate wind blew through the trees, almost like a sigh of relief.

                Taecyeon removed his shoes and socks before dunking them within. He was surprised. The water was cool but tolerable. He looked up when Junho surfaced. He was most surprised to see he was no longer wearing clothes and covered his eyes. “You know, you could warn me first if you're gonna be .”

                “I forget you humans have reservations around .”

                “How do you even know about this?”

                “Because I have been human before, you silly man.” Junho said, his words conveying that he was coming nearer. “You’ll feel better after you swim.”

                “You’re really free-spirited aren’t you?” He asked as he slowly lowered his hands.

                Junho stood before him completely without a care. “What does free-spirited mean?”

                “How can you say whimsy but not know what free-spirited means?”

                “I like the word whimsy. Hwang was full of that, too.” Junho said as he turned back and fell into the water without an answer to his question.

                Taecyeon sighed deeply. “Why did you have to be such an attractive forest spirit?” He grumbled. “There is no reason for me to be feeling this way about you.”

                “Feeling what way about me?” Junho asked, floating nearby.

                “Angry.”

                “What?” Junho sat up and looked insulted. “What did I do wrong-

                “No, no, no.” Taecyeon said quickly and pinched the bridge of his nose.

                “Hmm, then you find this body attractive.”

                Spluttering, Taecyeon made to say something but Junho was already back in front of him.

                “Well if you want me to be honest then you are also attractive, so hurry up and come into the water.” He sniffed and brushed off whatever tension was between them without another thought.

                Taecyeon did as told without further complaint. The water did feel amazing against his aching body. Not only that but he loved being out of the heat as well. “Do you do this often on hot summer days?”

                “Yes. But it doesn't matter what the day is like, I love water.” Junho answered simply. “There are days that I remain here until the heat spells stop.”

                “Will you bring me here again?” He asked.

                Junho looked over him closely. “If you would like to come, yes, I will.”

                “I would very much love to come with you.”

                This time, Junho’s eyes went a delicate blue. It was a colour reminiscent of the flowers Taecyeon had seen in the meadow. “You really like it in my forest...don’t you?”

                Taecyeon smiled, “I do.”

                Taecyeon didn’t have to heart to ask Junho if his eyes conveyed his emotions. For some reason, he wanted Junho to tell him about it himself, if he would. And, Taecyeon wanted to know what other colours they could become.

                “I don’t mind you.” Junho said after a while, his eyes as dark as the richest earth. This was a colour Taecyeon definitely wanted to stay. There was a deep feeling within them, and it made Taecyeon shudder all the way to his bones.

                “I should get you back.” Junho said as he rose from the water.

                “So soon?”

                “You wish to stay longer?” Junho asked, startled.

                “Just a little more. Am I allowed to draw here?”

                Junho pondered the question for a long time. “Not yet...”

                “Alright.” Taecyeon said and began to swim around. When Taecyeon began to feel a small chill, he then got out of the water. The air was still warm but more tolerable now. He dried off the best he could with a small towel he carried with him and then got dressed. Junho seemed to be in a bit of a daze. “Are you okay?”

                “Yes...” He answered. “I very much appreciate that you listen to me.”

                This of course made Taecyeon worry a little. Although, he was sure he didn’t need to ask. People often did whatever they desired in the forest.

                The walk back was definitely more enjoyable. Junho still seemed to be a bit off but he kept up the pace. It was when he collapsed into him that Taecyeon became worried.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter