Part 3

Let Me Paint You - Discontinued
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Warning: There is content concerning the loss of a parent in this chapter. Take care and be gentle with yourself when reading! If you need to talk please don't hesitate to message me :)

*

               When Taecyeon awoke, he heard a soft humming voice. Looking over to the window he sat up and his eyes went wide.

                “Oh, finally up, are you?”

                Feeling tears come to his eyes, Taecyeon made to rise up.

                “You’re wasting the day away.” He opened the windows and the sound of rain met his ears. “Oh, not much of a day.”

                “Dad-

                Feeling himself falling, Taecyeon gave a shout as he fell from his bed. Looking up at the ceiling, eyes still moist, he curled up. He hadn’t dreamt of his father in so long. When he was finally able he rose up and moved to the windows. The sun was rising high in the sky and soft white clouds slowly sailed through the gentle blue of the morning. Making his way to the bathroom, Taecyeon washed his face and got ready for the day. When he finally got down for breakfast, he noticed a figure in the back. It didn't look like Junho. Tilting his head, he opened the door and it was gone. Noticing movement at the boundary of the forest, Taecyeon spotted it there again.

                This was new.

                Slipping on his shoes, Taecyeon felt the pull. His mind felt hazy. Something didn’t feel right but he couldn’t stop himself. Walking a familiar path, Taecyeon kept walking and walking. Soon, he came to very tall trees. The sun was even higher now. Then he saw a clearing. The figure was there. He could see them. Just as he was about to step into the quiet, he was yanked back and he felt like he was doused with cold water. Gasping for air, he looked up and inhaled sharply as he looked upon the giant bear. It was growling in successive noises and stalking towards him. Then he realised it was like he was talking to him.

                “I don’t speak bear!” He mustered up the courage to yell.

                That stumped the guardian and then it sat down. It snorted and seemed to sigh. It gave another growl and snap of its jaws. Feeling warmth beside him, Taecyeon looked up at the deer. Then, Junho appeared from behind the bear, his gaze fastened upon the clearing.

                “Junho...what happened?” Taecyeon asked as he came to sit up.

                “Are you able to stand?” Junho asked as he finally looked at him. His eyes were a vivid yellow.

                “I...” He swallowed hard. “Did I do something wrong?”

                There the bear went again giving his grumbles, only this time Junho slapped its leg and it looked insulted. It was honestly a sight to behold, the two of them like this.

                Junho came to kneel before him. “What did you dream of?”

                “I dreamt...of my dad. It was raining...just like...” He trailed off and looked away.

                “I’m sorry we were almost too late.” Junho said as he sat beside Taecyeon. He pat the ground beside him and looked up at his guardian. The bear gave a huge huff. “Come on, you still saved him.”

                Taecyeon gawked, “he didn’t want to?!”

                The deer sighed this time.

                This...should be strange. This was strange. Something strange happened to him – is happening to him.

                “You...” Junho started softly. “You are carrying your grief, like a shadow.”

                Taecyeon froze and stared at his hands. He tried to find words to deny what Junho was saying, but his chest just felt tight, because he knew it was the truth. Nichkhun had said this to him many times before, and that was why he was up here now.

                “You buried the doll...but you weren’t ready. You are not ready to let him go, but if you don’t...Taecyeon, you’re never going to heal.”

                “What do you know!?” He snapped, angrily. “You don’t know anything about me – we’re nothing more than strangers. You don’t have the right to-

                A man appeared before him and slapped him. He looked like an animal; the rage in his eyes was nothing Taecyeon had ever seen before. “You pathetic humans are all the same.” He hissed. “Carrying your pain and your darkness wherever you go, making it your crutch so you can be horrible – even to those who have been kind to you.”

                “W-

                The man shifted and roared in Junho’s face. The bear gave him one more look before turning away and stalking through the forest.

                “Come.” Junho said simply as he rose to his feet. He held out his hand.

                As Taecyeon reached up, he felt his eyes water. When he was on his feet he found himself outside the cabin.

                “I’ve overstepped my boundaries.” Junho said as he stepped back. “You are right. We are strangers.”

                “I’m sorry-

                “There is darkness everywhere. When we let things remain inside of us, the loss of important loved ones, we need to take care of those memories we hold in a good way. Grief can become self-destructive, Taecyeon. It can take hold and encourage us to fill our minds and bodies with poison.” Junho rested a hand against his cheek. “I’m sorry for this morning. It appears your grief made contact with a silent place. I wanted to be able to tell you without arousing any painful experiences, but I see I made a mistake in delaying.”

                Taecyeon’s mind was racing. With Junho’s words and with the feelings and experience he had since he awoke. “What do you mean...contact with a silent place?”

                Junho looked troubled. “Do you hold anger towards your father? And please...I do not mean to pry or make you uncomfortable. I know how sensitive it can be to lose a loved one.”

                This was not what Taecyeon anticipated when he came out here.

 

               “Sometimes people will come to the market and talk about strange things that happened to them in the forest, strange things they’ve seen. I guess that’s also why so many people come here. People want to see the strange. It changes you.”

 

                “Taecyeon?”

                Surprised, Taecyeon turned and found Chansung.

                “We called but there was no answer.” He said as he came to stand before him. He looked concerned. “Are you alright?”

                Taecyeon turned back and of course it was now just the two of them. “I...” A gentle hand took hold of his shoulder and he looked at Chansung once more. What could he say? ‘Um, I was an and lashed out at the Spirit of the Forest when he was just being honest and telling the truth?’ He deflated and smacked his forehead. “I...have a question.”

                “Sure.”

                “The places where trees no longer grow, the silent places.” Taecyeon might have mistaken it, but he was sure he saw the flicker of yellow in Chansung’s eyes. It made him pause because it was so very similar to Junho's eyes when they were at the clearing.

                “Yes?”

                “Are they...bad places?”

                Chansung looked out to the forest. “One the villagers had been acting strangely a couple years ago. It’s only happened a few times, and my grandmother would be able to share better if she’s willing, but the ones that ‘wake up’, they talk about being led to them.”

                Shivers raced up and down Taecyeon’s arms.

                “I wouldn’t say they’re bad places.” Chansung said as he finally turned back to him. “They’re uncomfortable places filled with strong emotions.”

                “You guys, why are you taking so long?” Nichkhun asked as he rounded the corner.

                “Taecyeon was just telling me about his walk this morning. He just needs to grab some things and then we’re good to go.” Chansung answered without hesitation, and gave Nichkhun a smile.

                Nichkhun looked sceptical. “You okay, Taecyeon?”

                “Yeah I was just asking about a particular path through the woods.” He said. He didn’t like lying to Nichkhun. But, he could talk to him about his father later when he was ready.

                Nichkhun still didn’t look convinced and he shot a look in Chansung’s direction before heading back to the front.

                “Ah, I’m gonna get it later.” Chansung laughed, and then he turned to him again. “This place is my home, Taecyeon. I’m used to the strange. I’ve got loads of creepy stories too.”

                Taecyeon chuckled nervously.

                But then, Chansung looked beyond him, smiled, and said softly, “even the forest has dark places.”

                Chansung left him then, and Taecyeon had so many questions. He looked to where Chansung had been and his heart began to race. The guardian of the forest was there, watching them.

               

*

 

                The ride down into the tiny town was mostly quiet. The radio was playing and Nichkhun pointed out some of the places he and Chansung had been. The more Taecyeon learned about the valley the more he came to love it. He just hoped he didn’t upset Junho too much, not when they had finally been getting along. He knew he had spoken to him irrationally and was immensely out of line. He could still see the fury in the guardian’s eyes. He really did hate humans. Taecyeon could tell. And why shouldn’t he when they acted like Taecyeon did this morning? Sighing deeply, he slumped against the window.

                “You okay, Taecyeon?”

                “Yeah...”

                “I can’t wait for you to meet Chansung’s grandmother.” Nichkhun boasted. “Be warned, she does not like nonsense.”

                Chansung chuckled, “no she does not.”

                Taecyeon sunk into his seat even more. “I am full of nonsense.”

                Both Chansung and Nichkhun laughed out loud.

                When they finally arrived, Taecyeon gaped at how large the grounds were. The fields were immense and people were already out and working. Following Chansung and Nichkhun, they came to a small garden house with several other plots surrounding it.

                "Welcome to the Hwang main house." Nichkhun cheered as he dragged Taecyeon inside.

                “Mama green thumb, we’re here.” Chansung announced.

                “Don’t call me that!”

                Taecyeon went ramrod straight as a flurry of seeds came flying at them.

                “But you’re so good at growing things.” Chansung continued to tease.

                “Finally had some peace and quiet and now you’re back already.” She laughed and set her hands upon her hips.

                “I know you love me.” Chansung snickered.

                “Unfortunately.” She smacked his arm. “This the famous painter?”

                Taecyeon wanted to shrivel up and leave. “I’m Ok Taecyeon.”

                “Heard you took a tumble, eh?” She winked. “You look pretty tough.”

                “I guess-

                “That won’t do any good, have some confidence!” She smacked his arm. “What use do I have for someone who doesn’t know if he’s strong or not?”

                Taecyeon laughed awkwardly. “Nothing.”           

                She then burst into laughter and pat him on the back. “Pretty sharp for an old lady, huh?”

                “You just experienced the Hwang snark.” Nichkhun said.

                “It’s a rite of passage!” Chansung’s grandmother boasted. “Now, let us get to work, shall we? Then I’ll give you bunch of youngsters a good feast.”

                Taecyeon finally relaxed, which was of course short-lived. He stayed close to Nichkhun for much of the start so he picked what was ripe and ready.

                “You’re doin’ pretty good.” Nichkhun said during their break.

                Taecyeon looked over the fresh cucumbers, tomatoes and assortment of herbs. “I can’t believe she grows all of this at her age.”

                “Chansung often says she’s going to outlive everyone.” Nichkhun said with a grin. “I learned all of my gardening skills from her. She’s amazing. Doesn’t take crap from anyone.”

                “Yeah, I got that.”

                Nichkhun gripped his hand, “are you really okay? You would tell me, right?”

                Taecyeon sighed and looked down at him, “I’m okay, I promise.”

                “You looked really shaken this morning.”

                Taecyeon turned back to looking over the fields. Life was so peaceful out here. He thought of the experience he had that morning and it unnerved him greatly.

 

                “You are carrying your grief, like a shadow.”

 

                “I had a dream about dad...” He said finally.

                Nichkhun turned to him quickly.

                “It was like he was here with me, at the cabin. He told me I was sleeping the day away.” He chuckled sadly. “He opened the window and it was raining just like that day.”

                “No wonder you looked so unnerved this morning. I know whenever you dream of him you have unpleasant experiences after.”

                Taecyeon tried to picture the figure again but it was just hazy. He felt so guilty. He brought ill feelings to the valley.

                “I know you resent him a lot, Taecyeon. I...I admit that I do, too. It took me a while to forgive him, so I completely understand that you’re still processing things.” Nichkhun said as he gripped his hand. “Take your time.”

                Taecyeon leaned forward and covered his face. “I hurt people by taking my time.”

                “No, no you don’t.” Nichkhun comforted.

                “Yes...” He said and looked over Nichkhun. “I know we’ve had some pretty bad fights because I let him rule my life. Even now...it’s like...it’s like I can’t shed his words, Khun.” He said weakly. “I’m sorry if I said anything terrible or stupid.”

                Nichkhun laughed lightly then and gripped his shoulder as he came to stand. “Well, this is a good start. I forgive you, Taecyeon.”

                He didn’t know why, but hearing Nichkhun’s forgiveness made him feel so light.

                “What’s say we go harvest some watermelon, hey?”

                Taecyeon immediately thought of Junho and his promise to him. He wanted to see that smile again. “Sounds good,” he said and followed Nichkhun out into the fields.

                When he was moving through the melon patch, Chansung’s grandmother joined him. “Let me show yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter