Part 4

Let Me Paint You - Discontinued
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Warning: As with the last chapter there are mentions of death in this part as well. I also...recommend not reading it in the dark? I don't think I made it overly spooky but yes...please take care while reading.

There is a little bit of sweetness.

*

                Something smelled of smoke. That was the first thing Taecyeon became aware of. The second was that he felt like he was floating, but he wasn’t sure why. Opening his eyes he found himself looking upon black leaves. They swayed gently in a light breeze. Slowly he began to turn upright and his feet settled upon the ground. Not only did the tree have black leaves, but the trunk itself was the same. The smell of smoke became stronger.

                Walking closer to it, he stopped abruptly and everything within him gave off warning signals. This was place not good.

                “Does the tree call you too, human?”

                Turning quickly, an elderly woman was seated with water flowing all around her. “It was...” He answered, and turned to look up at it again. “But...something is telling me to run away.”

                “Good, you haven’t been tainted very much then.” She said and began to weave water between her hands.

                “Tainted?” He asked.

                She nodded and pushed the ball of water towards him. “You have come into contact with the tree.”

                Confused, he slowly held out his hand and the water floated there above his palm.

                “Drink, you need it.”

                Looking at her sceptically she gave a hearty laugh.

                “It’s okay.”

                Slowly he raised it up and drank it. He closed his eyes as the refreshing water passed over his lips, and then he realised just how parched he had been. A cooling sensation overcame him but he still felt ridiculously hot all over.

                “I don’t recall ever being near this tree, and Junho has never taken me here.” He said and turned his attention up again. The scent of smoke became strong for a short while.

                “You may not have physically been near the tree, but it can taint you in other ways.” She said and then rose to her feet. “I have been looking after this tree for a very long time. It has largely been quiet the past four hundred years, only bothered a handful of humans and spirits, but it seems to not want to be so quiet anymore.”

                “Four hundred...” That was a long time to be silent. He couldn’t even fathom creating a painting for longer than a year. “You’ve known Junho and his guardian for a long time then?”

                She smiled and came to stand beside him. “You’re a curious human.”

                Becoming a little self-aware he rubbed the back of his head. “I guess I should find all of this strange...but I don’t. I’m not sure why.” He admitted.

                She shrugged, “I wouldn’t think too much about it. You are...unique. I don’t think it my place to tell you how but if Forest and Guardian do not tell you, just call for me.” She said as she conjured another orb of water.

                “Thank you.”

                She nodded, “you’re very welcome.” It was quiet between them for a while and Taecyeon looked around the forest. “I have indeed known Forest and Guardian for a long time. Although, I hadn’t met them when they first arrived in the valley, I do know that Forest was in hard shape. Little weather bear was too, but Forest...” She looked up into the sky. “That’s not my place either.”

                “You really cherish them...”

                She looked at him surprised. “I do. I’ve never told either of them, especially Guardian, but it was a request from his mother I look over them.”

                “Guardian has a mom?”

                The water spirit sighed deeply, “once upon a time, it is not a gentle story. In fact...neither of them have had easy lives, and not just because of humans. Spirits have also been quite a nuisance to them as well.”

                Even more curious, Taecyeon thought of Junho and the guardian bear and how they were apprehensive of humans. To think that they were even weary of other spirits, it unsettled him. “But they have you, and the deer, I’m sure they have many other friends as well.” He said after a while. “I don’t know how anyone could want to hurt Junho...” He thought of Junho’s story about being captive and the burning of his trees. “He’s still kind to me even if humans have hurt him.”

                This roused some chuckles from the water spirit, “as I said, you are unique. You have spiritual energy about you...some not your own, though – which is not linked to the taint.”

                “Something else?” He asked. He didn’t feel different, just overwhelmingly hot.

                “Yes –

                A jingle sounded in his ear and he looked up.

                “Just call me if you need me, just say mul.”

                “Mul?”

                “Yep.” She said with a smile. “Taecyeon, right?”

                He tried to be surprised but he wasn’t anymore.

                “Do not carry the dead.” She turned away from him. “Especially when they have harmed your spirit.”

                Before he could thank her, his eyelids felt heavy and they shut. Then, it was happening all over again.

                Too warm, everything was too warm. Taecyeon’s joints ached and he just felt hot all over. Managing to open his eyes, he found himself in his bed inside the cabin. Everything looked hazy. The last thing he remembered was Junho holding him close and collapsing, and then darkness. It came on so suddenly. Closing his eyes again, he tried to move but everything hurt.

                “Oh? You’re awake.”

                Turning to his right he found Nichkhun. He looked exhausted. He tried to sit up but he felt too weak, and Nichkhun didn’t let him anyway.

                “No, you stay still.” He reprimanded and took the cloth from his forehead. “You’re still carrying a lot...” His long-time best friend commented, placing the cool cloth against his forehead once more. “You aren’t well, Taecyeon.”

                Flashbacks of his conversations with Junho, the one of Junho’s guardian yelling at him angrily, and his long talks with Nichkhun – sometimes into the wee hours of the morning – all came to mind. He was carrying so much. He turned his attention to the window. He could still see his father as clear as day beside it. Then he was confused. “How did I get in here?”

                “Hmmm...” Nichkhun hummed and looked him over slowly as if contemplating something. “The main thing is you are safe, Taecyeon. You should rest some more if you can. Chansung does have questions for you though so maybe it would be better to talk to him, but he’s a little busy right now.” He said as he sat back in his chair.

                Confused about Nichkhun’s secrecy and neglect of answering his question, he pushed it aside. “Okay...”

                Hearing the main door downstairs open and fast footsteps on the stairs, Chansung appeared with a smile. “You’re awake!”

                Taecyeon smiled and nodded. “Feel really hot though...”

                Chansung came to sit beside him and Taecyeon swore he saw that yellow-ish glimmer in his eyes again. “Cucumber and mint water...” He said and then raced down the stairs.

                “You guys are acting strange.” Taecyeon commented. “How did I get in here? Where..?” He trailed off. He couldn’t ask about Junho. Somehow he had been brought inside, and Nichkhun was here worrying over him.

                “Wait for Chansung,” Nichkhun encouraged and got to his feet. “I’m going to start on lunch.”

                Taecyeon nodded and watched him go. They were both definitely acting strange, like they knew something and weren’t going to tell him.

                Then, Junho was beside him, a sad expression on his face. He ran his fingers down Taecyeon’s cheek and sighed. “I...need to go away for a little while.” He said gently.

                Taecyeon began to panic, “what? Why? Is it something I did?”

                Junho smiled and shook his head, “silly human.”

                Not comforted in the least, he watched Junho take up his hand. The forest spirit rested his hand underneath Taecyeon’s and then pressed it to his own cheek, which was cool to the touch.

                “There is something that I must do, and it should have been done many years ago.”

                Taecyeon immediately thought of that black tree. “Is it...the black tree?” He asked.

                Junho’s eyes flashed a deep yellow. “Did you see it?”

                Taecyeon nodded. He wasn’t going to say anything but he was very much enjoying his hand being cradled by Junho, and the softness of his cheek.

                “Yes, I must take care of the black tree.”

                “What is it?”

                Junho closed his eyes and slowly rested his fingertips against Taecyeon’s forehead.

                Vivid images of a large figure, black with orange-red eyes. Smoke flourished all around it, and a bear with grey fur stood next to it. Fires and destruction spread from the spirit, and Taecyeon could feel himself shaking just from the memory.

                When he was released, he was panting heavily and Junho was looking upon him with a tired gaze. “It is a volcano spirit...” Junho answered. “About two years or so after Hwang came to the valley, so did other humans, the ones that cut the trees. The ones I told you took more than he ever did.”

                Taecyeon nodded.

                “They were being used by this volcano spirit. He had grown angry, fearful and violent towards humans. He not only detested humans but he also hated spirits who were close with them. The bear you saw...” Junho paused and sighed. “The bear was Guardian’s sister. They...had an estranged relationship.” He said and began to smooth his fingers over Taecyeon’s. “They came to the valley to destroy us. With the help of other spirits, and a lovely groundwater spirit, plus a chance to unleash our full potential from the Great Spirits, we managed to seal the volcano spirit. That...is the black tree.” Junho explained and was looking over him tenderly. “While it hasn’t happened often, sometimes there are spirits who come here who become afflicted by the volcano spirit’s essence and inflict others with it, becoming tainted. This is what happened to you, but you...” Junho trailed off.

                Taecyeon’s cheeks heated as Junho’s face paused inches above his own. He did not smell of sweetgrass now, no, he exuded the scent of sage and cedar. Whatever it was about those scents, Taecyeon felt himself being cleansed.

                “You carry something with you, Taecyeon.” He whispered, and was looking over him with those yellow eyes, they were almost orange. “You have to confront it, and...you will have help, but you have to want to face it first.”

                “What is it?” He asked, breathlessly.

                Junho slowly rested his forehead against his own and Taecyeon was seated in the forest. He looked up and found himself before the silent place again. It flashed back to that morning and his father seated at the window, only it wasn’t his father who sat by the window. No. It was something else. As Junho pulled away from him Taecyeon gasped for air and the forest spirit was holding his face.

                “What was that?”

                It had a grey form, much like that one Taecyeon had thought he’d seen the morning he was taken to the silent place. Only, it had long limbs and red eyes, and its face looked just like his father’s.

                “We call them the dead lures.” Junho said quietly. “When you are in immense grief there are spirits which can form when these feelings become strong.”

                Taecyeon felt sick to his stomach.

                “I...I do not say it lightly this time, Taecyeon. You are carrying your grief.” He said desperately and hugged Taecyeon close to him. “I know what this is like, I know what it feels like to become angry with grief. I know.”

                Taecyeon choked on his tears and held Junho just as tightly.

                “Unfortunately I can’t be the one to help you with the dead lure, but you will have help, I promise.”

                “Why can’t you help me?” Taecyeon asked.

                Junho smiled and was looking over him slowly, “well, for one, I don’t have that kind of power. I can stave off the lure, but I can’t destroy it. Only Guardian spirits can do that and only when you yourself release the hold the lure has on you. The other reason is because I will be dealing with the volcano spirit.” Junho said and lay next to him. “I created the tree, Taecyeon. It was only meant to be a temporary imprisonment, but I...” He sighed. “There are reasons I haven’t.”

                Taecyeon rolled over to face him, “what reasons?”

                Junho frowned and looked over him carefully. “I have to go to a Gathering of Spirits and get the help of an Ocean Spirit and Great Spirit. This is also why I won’t be able to help right away.”

                “What’s a Gathering of Spirits?” He asked.

                Junho’s brows furrowed and he looked ever bit of uncomfortable. “A thing I do not wish to attend.”

                “You had a bad experience...” Taecyeon said, and Junho seethed slightly but nodded. “You don’t have to tell me about it if you don’t want to.” He tried to comfort, which earned him a smile. “What does the black tree have to do with me right now?”

                Junho’s eyes went vivid orange, “you’ve been tainted, partially because of your lure, but I don’t know how you came into contact with the tree.”

                A chill fell over him and a cold sweat broke out over his skin. “I’ve never been there though. The first time I saw it...was in the dream I had. I was there with a water spirit.”

                Junho looked surprised. “You saw her?”

                Taecyeon nodded.

                The forest spirit sat up and grumbled something under his breath. Then he was looking over him again. “It’s happening again...” He said with a snort.

                “What’s...happening again?”

                Junho shook his head, “you’ll find out.”

                Taecyeon couldn’t help but give him an annoyed look. “You keep spinning me in circles sometimes. I think I have a right to know.”

                Junho laughed then and brushed back his hair. “I’m scared I guess. I know...you’re good. You are a good human – person. I’ve just...” Junho trailed off and then was blushing a little. It made Taecyeon feel warm, but in a pleasant way. “I swore I would never do this again and here I am – why did you have to come to my forest anyway, huh?” Junho poked him in the chest.

                Taecyeon curled up from the touch and gripped Junho’s wrist, “I’m happy I came her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter