Part 1

Let Me Paint You - Discontinued
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*

 

                Blue. Blue had to be the colour that would inspire him. Blue never failed. Mixing and testing, more mixing and more testing, Ok Taecyeon brushed the paint along the canvas and tried to convey the vision he had in his mind. But then the lines didn’t look right, the colours were all wrong, and he smeared the paint all over the surface without restraint.

                “Why isn’t it working?!” He chucked his brush across the studio, droplets of blue dotting the floor, as well as random tables and chairs. Crouching down, he rubbed the back of his wrist against his eyes before collapsing completely.

                Hearing a tender knock, he rose to his feet and made his way to the door. Opening it he sighed.

                “You don’t look so good.” His long-time friend Nichkhun Horvejkul commented. Taecyeon’s eyes shot to his hair and almost snarled at the little blue highlights in it, then proceeded to storm back to his canvas and chuck it. “Hey, that’s no way to handle art.”

                “This isn’t art, Khunnie!” He motioned to the offending disaster.

                “I don’t think you’re ready to be doing this yet.” Nichkhun said as he plopped himself in his usual chair.

                Taecyeon crossed his arms and gave him the most displeased glare.

                Of course, this only caused his friend to chuckle. “Those don’t work on me.”

                “I can’t paint.” He said suddenly and looked over the many colours, his brushes, and the incomplete canvases adorning the wall. “Nothing comes. It’s been weeks and I’ve just got...nothing.”

                “Okay, asides from the fact that you’ve been doing competition after competition, and show after show, Taecyeon you-

                “Don’t...” Taecyeon waved his hand. “Please don’t say it.”

                Nichkhun sighed and leaned back in his chair. Then he snapped his fingers. “Why don’t you take a rest? Go somewhere fun?” Nichkhun suggested as he made his way over to him. “Chansung just happens to own a very neat little place surrounded by lots of nature and wildlife; one that I’ve told you about time and time again but you never really listen when I tell you about it.” Taecyeon rolled his eyes. “How about you spend some time there and let your mind rest?”

                “I can’t do that. I don’t have time to dilly dally, Nichkhun. I have-

                Nichkhun slapped his hands against his face, and held him tightly. “Hey, do you hear yourself?”

                “Yah, that hurt-

                Nichkhun brought him closer. “You haven’t given yourself enough time to really accept that he’s gone, Taecyeon.”

                Taecyeon fell silent at that.

                “Please listen to me. I am worried about you.” Nichkhun began rubbing circles into his cheeks. “Listen. To. Nichkhun.” He said slowly, which caused Taecyeon to smile. “Take as long as you need, okay? Come back when you’re ready, or go do something else, I don’t care. You cannot force art. This is your soul we’re talking about. You can only do what truly inspires you. You can only do that when you’re ready.”

                “Fine...”

                “Clean up before you leave. Just pack what you think you will need. Don’t bring your cell, that’ll just be a distraction. If something important comes up I’ll let you know. There’s a phone up there, you won’t be far from a grocery store, and best of all, there’s lots of curious things out that way.” Nichkhun stepped back.  “I’ll come pick you up in a couple days.”

                “Yes mom.”

                Nichkhun pinched his cheek, “I love you. I want to see you back on your feet. If you need an -kicking I will very much be happy to do that too.”

                Taecyeon groaned and then turned back began to clean. To be honest, he liked the idea of being away from everything. Being away from the studio was very much a desire. When he deemed it clean enough, he locked up his studio and made his way home. He got to packing and then found he was taking things he probably didn’t need. He packed, and repacked. Then he would dump everything out and do it all over again. By the end of it, he berated himself for being stressed about packing.

                True to his word, Nichkhun came and got him. “I hope you don’t have any paint in here.” He said as they loaded Taecyeon’s bags into his truck.

                “Just sketchbooks...”

                Nichkhun stopped, “really? I can’t remember the last time you just sketched things.”

                “Me neither,” He said as they climbed into Nichkhun’s truck.

                “Chansung has a whole bunch of bottled things for you. He’s super excited that you’re taking some time off.” Nichkhun said as they started out.

                “Maybe I’ll actually be able to cook things too then.”

                “That’s what he said too.” Nichkhun laughed. “Time to get to know yourself again, Taecyeon, to heal.”

                “I hope that’s what it takes.” He said and slipped on his sunglasses. “I don’t like feeling this way.”

                “I know, but...You can’t just keep going and going, you need to do other things. You won’t even let me say it.”

                “I know,” Taecyeon took a deep breath. “What sorts of things did Chansung make?”

                “Ah-ah, that’s a surprise. We can stop at the little market on the way.”

                Taecyeon was beginning to feel better already, excited. He hadn’t felt like this in a long time. The small town near the cottage was quaint and mostly on a mountainside. What truly took Taecyeon’s breath away was the forest. It was so vibrant and ablaze with the sunlight. The vast green stretched up the mountains and covered the entire valley, extending far into the distance and leaving Taecyeon with a sense of wonder.

                “Are you sure this is the place you’ve always told me about?”

                Nichkhun laughed, “Yes! I’ve told you so many times. ‘I’m too busy, tell me next time.’ ‘There are gonna be bugs up there.’ ‘Why would I want to go stomping around in some trees when I could be painting.’ I believe were some of your less harsh rejections.”

                “I don’t know why you put up with me.” Taecyeon sighed.

                “I know you’re a good guy, you’re just stubborn as hell.” Nichkhun said and they parked near the market.

                “Ah, Nichkhun! Welcome home!”

                “Hey Mrs. Lee.”

                Taecyeon followed after him.

                “Whoa!” The little elderly lady flew down the market store ramp and gripped Taecyeon’s hands. “Who is this? Did you trade handsome Chansung for another handsome?”

                Nichkhun burst into laughter, “No, this is my good friend, Ok Taecyeon. He’s the painter I tell you about all the time.”

                She beamed and looked up at him, “so you’re the painter behind my painting, eh?”

                Taecyeon flushed. “Um...which painting?” He looked at Nichkhun who grinned.

                Finding himself being dragged into the market, Taecyeon was met with row after row of fresh vegetables and fruits. Then he came to a small cafe-shop like area and was stopped before a small table. He found, indeed, one of his older paintings. It was of a coastline and the sun was setting.

                “There’s no ocean close by but whenever I see this painting I think I’m there.” Mrs. Lee said. “Nichkhun told me this is from your early years of painting. I can’t imagine what you do now.”

                Taecyeon looked over his work and felt a tug in his chest. Where had his inspiration or creating paintings like this gone? He slowly reached out and remembered how happy he had been when he finished. Before he could touch it he stopped. “Do you paint, Mrs. Lee?”

                “Nah, I’m a pretty good gardener though!” She boasted and raised her fist, “I’ll bring up some tea tomorrow, and you should definitely come for a visit and I’ll show you. Well – if you like tea of course?”

                Taecyeon smiled, “yes, that sounds amazing.”

                “It was nice to meet you after all these years.” She said.

                “Mrs. Lee! You’re wanted on the phone.”

                “Alright, see you around, Taecyeon.”

                He waved her off. Turning abruptly to Nichkhun who was leaning against the wall, Taecyeon sighed. “I like it already.”

                Nichkhun’s brow rose, “see, you should listen to your old buddy more often.”

                Proceeding to grab whatever things Taecyeon would need, he paid for his groceries and then they were off again. Heading up the mountain, it was a short distance to the cottage. It was a quaint little place and surrounded sparsely by little trees. Exiting the vehicle, Taecyeon looked over all the flowers in random bunches across the meadow surrounding the cottage.

                “How did Chansung manage to get this place?”

                Nichkhun looked around and smiled, “it’s been passed down to the oldest kid in the Hwang family each generation. His great-great-great grandfather originally owned the land. He had the biggest farming fields. There’s a legend about him ‘round these parts.”

                “Oh?”

                “Yeah, Chansung tells it better though.”

                “So I’m going to have to wait to hear it?”

                Nichkhun shrugged as they came to the door. “We’ll be up next weekend. Don’t worry; we’ll be staying with his grandmother.”

                “I don’t mind if you guys want to stay with me.”

                “No, there’s only one bed here. Plus, we promised her we would help out around the house and get ready for summer harvest. We should definitely do suppers though, and you’re very welcome to come and join in. I’m sure she’d love to see you.” Nichkhun said as he led the way inside.

                From the entryway, they came to a living-room which then opened to the kitchen. The other side was a large room filled with tables, bookshelves, and a radio. Taecyeon followed Nichkhun as he came back to help him with his bags and they made their way upstairs. It was a very open bedroom. Two armchairs were placed by the small table near a window. The large bed rested in the center with dressers off to the side. A small television was placed in the corner. The top floor also included the bathroom.

                “No wonder you guys spend so much time up here.” Taecyeon said as he came to stand by the window. Opening them, a gentle breeze came in as well as the smells of the forest. “It’s beautiful here.”

                “I hope you’re able to relax. I’ve been worried about you for a while and this place really helped me when I was going through some rough spots. There’s...something about this place and what you experience here. It’s magical.” Nichkhun said and he turned back down the stairs.

                “Are you staying for supper?”

                “No, I’ve gotta head back. Chansung has a charity event tonight and I couldn’t weasel out of being his date.” He snickered. “So I have to dress fancy and put on my fake smile for the rich people.”

                “Chansung is one of the rich people.”

                Nichkhun slapped his shoulder, “Yeah, but I love him. And he cooks well. Plus he’s a giant nerd. Shall I keep speaking compliments about the love of my life?”

                “Please no, spare me.”

                Nichkhun leaned against the door, “if you need anything just call, we can bring anything you need next weekend.”

                “I really appreciate this, Khunnie.”

                “You need this, and I hope you find your muse.” Nichkhun stood up and gripped his shoulder. “You might find something else you’re passionate about. Life isn’t always about painting.”

                Taecyeon held Nichkhun’s wrist, “that’s how I make my living, silly.”

                “Maybe, but it wasn’t always. Don’t get me wrong I love your paintings. We both know you’re good at it...but you’re so much more than your painting.” Nichkhun said and hugged him tight. “Seriously, let me know if you need anything.”

                “I will.”

                Nichkhun stood back, “don’t go hiking after dark.”

                “I’m not stupid.”

                Nichkhun opened the door, “is there anything else – Oh!” Nichkhun reached into his bag and pulled out what looked to be a little charm. “This might sound silly, but you should pay respects to the forest shrine. Sometimes it brings you good luck and...sometimes it can also give you whatever you need. You can set it with the others, bury it, or burn it at the shrine. Chansung told me to tell you that. It isn’t far from here and there’s a trail that goes there.” Nichkhun pulled out a map. “People from all over visit the shrine.”

                Taecyeon took the small charm. Holding it up to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter