"Runaways"

"2 Chois?"

I'll leave you guys in a while okay? I'll just check if the visitors are here.

Dong said then left immediately...

Visitors? Oh yeah! Its Dong's mom birthday today. Right. You guys expecting a lot?

How should I know?

Last time I checked you're part of this family. You're Top Choi right? Or shall I say Choi SeungHyun?

I may have the same last name with them, Dong and I may be sharing the same father but when it comes to anything that has something to do with his mom, I'm not...I was never part of it.

I'm sorry but...from the way I'm seeing things you and auntie are not in good terms...

So she told you to call her auntie? That's weird, she never allowed any girl to call her auntie, especially on first meeting...

Is that so? But...I think I've seen your mom. I was surprised when Dong said auntie is his mom. Last time I was here I think its your mom that I get to meet. Her name is...

Sorry but I need to do something, enjoy yourself. See you at the party!

Okay.

Top left the room leaving Sam alone. Sam wondered around, looking through the paintings on the wall, she then went to a table full of pictures. There's Dong when he was still a baby, high school, college and up to present, their dad and his mom...but of all pictures Top only has one picture and that one is when he's with the whole family. He's wearing an all white suit with black bowtie, he's standing next to Dong at the back. Among the four members of the family he was the only one who seem to be serious or not even smiling. Sam took a deep breath then tried to recall the Mrs. Choi she met the last time she was there. She's just a small lady, she doesn't look old, she has that short curly hair that women her age has. She always has a smile on her face and always ask her and her dad if there's anything else they need. She even remembered asking her "Auntie, can I play with skinny Dong outside?" so different from the auntie she met today. She heard cars' engine outside and look out through the huge window just where the piano is placed.

Maybe they're expecting a lot...

She said to herself while watching the people get off their cars...then she heard a knock on the door...

Ms?

Yes?

Mr. Choi said to you to the party. Shall we go now?

Oh, can you wait for a second?

Its okay.

Before leaving the room she hesitated whether to bring or leave her bag but then she remembered she brought a backpack which doesn't fit her white chiffon dress. She placed it on the couch near the fireplace...

Are we good to go Ms?

Yes.

Walking through the long hallway full of chandeliers and paintings seems like forever. The guy stopped for a while then continued walking. She followed him like a kid following her dad. Then she remember her dad.

Uhm...is my dad already at the party?

She ask the guy but there was no response. After a long and never ending walk they reached a huge wooden door. She can hear violins and piano playing, people walking and talking. The guy opened the door and she was surprised to see so many people. She tried to count them but someone whispered through her ear...

They're about a hundred. I think...

She looked at that person and saw that it was Top, he was no longer wearing his leather jacket and jeans. Top is now wearing a black suit with white shirt inside. His shoes are so shiny she can see herself from them. She smiled cause of that. Top got curious...

What's funny?

Nothing...you look good.

You too.

Thanks.

I guess I need to say thank you too?

You're welcome.

They were having that conversation when someone cleared ...it was Mrs. Choi...Top took Sam's left hand...

The queen is waiting, shall we?

Sam controlled herself from laughing then smiled and nod to Top...they walk through the room in the middle of the crowd and went straight to where their dads, Mrs. Choi and Dong is at. Top escorted her to her seat next to her dad. Mr. Choi stood up and let Dong sit next to Sam then signalled Top to sit next to Dong. Mr. Choi remained standing.

Good evening everyone, thank you for celebrating this special occasion with our family. As we all know its my wife's birthday today but that is not the only reason why we invited you to be here with us tonight. First, I want to introduce a very special friend of mine that is here with us tonight. Antonio Gomez with his only daughter Samantha Gomez.

Sam and her dad stood up. People applauded them. Then they sat again.

You see, my friend Antonio here and his daughter came all the way from Spain to be here with our family on this special day. Antonio and I first met when we were both just nineteen. We were both in the US, we were young and crazy back then but most especially full of big dreams. We dreamt of becoming the man that we are now today and we are very much thankful that we were able to reach our dreams. It was not an easy road but we made it. We may have been separated by oceans but our friendship remained strong through the years. So, all of you must've been guessing...Why do we need to hear that lame story? Well, tonight is the night that Antonio and I will make our friendship even more stronger. We may have been bonded by our friendship before and our same goals and wants in life but now we've decided to take it to a much more stronger bond. And what more stronger bond would it be but...a bond that can withstand any storm...a bond that even God assures will be lasting forever...family. Tonight my dear friends, you are all witnesses to this very special day both of our family will go through. The night where Choi Family and Gomez Family will become one. I am proud to announce...my son...DongWook and my good friend's daughter, Samantha...soon to be Mr. and Mrs. Choi.

Everyone stood up and all but applause can be heard from the room. Sam froze on her seat while Dong is busy shaking hands with some of the visitors approaching their table. Sam's dad placed his hand on Sam's hand but she shook it. Tears flow from her eyes. Her dad tried to hold her again but she stood up.

Come here my dear Samantha.

Mr. Choi said while offering his hand to her. She wiped her tears then shook her head. Dong saw her and about to approach her but she immediately run towards the door. She just run without looking back. She can hear different noises from the room, she can't make out of it but she's sure she can hear footsteps following her. She run faster til she reached the door. She then look at her back and saw her dad, Dong with his mom and dad and ten or maybe twenty men in suits running after her.

Sammy! Come back here!

Her dad says...another tears started to flow. She looked at him then shook her head again. Before she went out of the door she took off her shoes and run as fast as she can. She can still hear those guys following her with their huge footsteps while talking to each other..

We need to get her or Boss will be mad at us! Hurry up and catch her!

She then remembered that the Chois' driveway is long and steep. She tried to stall them by leaving her watch on the grass on the left side of the road and went to run on the other side. Stones and dried branches started to poke through her feet and she started to feel the pain. She's still crying but she kept on wiping her tears with her hand cause it makes her sight blurry. Finally she reached the gate. She hesitated cause she knows that there's someone guarding that gate. But to her surprise there was none. She opened the gate all by herself. Giving all her force she opened it. She then recall the time the hotel's limousine got there. She run to the direction where the limousine took on the way there and found herself bleeding. Her feet are bleeding. She stop on a nearby light post and examine her feet. She was removing small stones that got stuck when a light focused on her face. She looked at it and saw that it was a cab. She immediately signalled it to stop and went straight in.

Are you okay Ms?

The driver ask...she removed some dry leaves on her hair, wiped her tears then nodded.

Where do you wanna go?

The driver ask...she tried to speak when a man entered the cab...

What are you doing here?! Why are you here?! Get Out!!!

Hold on, before you get mad at me...do you even have money to pay for this cab?

The man ask...she's so tired that even if she wanted to push the man out of the cab she just can't plus her feet are bleeding way too much that she can't barely speak.

Excuse me but she got here first. You better get another taxi son.

The driver said...

She's with me. I'm her...she's my...we're...she's my girl.

No I'm not! Nobody owns me! Nobody will get to decide who I should marry and when I should get married! Stay away from me! Get out!!!

Sam, please...you're tired and bleeding. I know everything seems to be...I don't even know how to explain it myself but clearly you need me. You don't have money...You got nowhere to go...and you don't have money.

She doesn't?

The driver interrupted...the man took out his wallet and took a handful of cash and hand it to the driver...

Just drive...to the nearest hospital please...

The driver took the money and started driving...

You don't need to do this.

I know but I want to. Not until you're strong enough to punch or push me away, I will stay by your side.

How could they? My dad? Your dad? I don't understand...

Sam started to cry again...

I don't know. Just like you I was shocked too. I can't believe your dad and my dad had such agreement.

I'm sorry but I hate your dad more than I hate my dad right now! How could he invite us just to say that me and yor brother is about to be husband and wife? And Dong...he knew everything and yet he didn't told me!

Its okay to be mad at them. You have the right to.

You're talking as if you're not his son.

I am his son. No matter what I do I will always be his son but what he did back there is wrong. You get to decide what to do with your life. Not your dad or my dad.

How did you follow me though?

The moment you stood up I knew you're about to do something. So I went straight out of the house. I thought of using my car to help you escape but I don't have a license so...

You have a car but you don't have a license?

Long story...now we need to get you to a doctor and help you with your feet.

I never thought you could be this nice Top?

I'm not nice. I'm just doing what I think is right and its good that you left your things cause thay can use it to track us...

Us?

As I said, as long as you're not strong enough to push me away...I'll be here. We're in this together.

But how about you? They can track you...

They can't.

How about your phone? Your credit cards?

I've thrown those before I entered this cab.

You did what?

I knew the moment dad will notice I'm also missing he will immediately track me that's why I throw those things.

So, you're saying you don't have money too?

Uhm...I still have a few...we'll find a way to have money when we need it. Now, we need to get you to a doctor.

I'm sorry...

You know you should say Thanks and not sorry.

But I yelled at you. I'm sorry.

I said say Thanks!

Thank You Top.

 

 

 

 

how was it?

THANKS FOR READING STILL :D