6 - Which one is the mouse?

Wanted

a.n: This chapter has a brief mention of suicide and death. I tried to write it as light as I could but since its a big part of the plot I couldn't simply cut it.

 

You've built your wall so high
That no one could climb it
But I'm gonna try

 

 

Taemin left his office and stretched his arms over his head while no one was looking. He has been working very diligently the last two days and his head was filled with terms and concepts he learned while he was in college and that now were actually useful. Even though he was tired he was enjoying working way more than he thought he would.

And there was a bonus to that job position and she just passed in front of him without noticing and walked in the direction of the staff resting room.

Taemin followed after Sora admiring the way her blue pencil skirt and white blouse complemented her figure. She looked professional and very hot. Like always her hair was caught on a ponytail and he fought the urge to run to her and get her hair loose.

She entered the room where only another coworker was finishing his quick meal. He stood up and left just when she approached the coffee machine. Taemin took the chance to admire her from the door, now that they were alone. Sora was oblivious to his presence and seemed to be very deep in thought. He appreciated her profile, the way she pursed her lips in thought, how her hips moved when she walked and how her soft silky hair fell on her back. Sora grabbed her coffee and sat at the table drinking it, her eyes on her cellphone while she checked her SNS accounts.

If she was his he would have pushed her against the table in the middle of the room, sat her on it and take her there.

Taemin cracked his knuckles like Jinki used to do sometimes when he had something particularly hard to do and then moved to the coffee machine to make some coffee.

The noise made Sora look at him and she seemed a little surprised but hid it well.  He ignored her for the last two days and only spoke with her when it was related to work so he knew why she reacted like that. It was all part of his plan and was working for sure because she stopped snapping at him and seemed to respect him more.

The truth was that women loved the push and pull and he knew that even though Sora seemed way more complicated than other women, his lack of interest in her the last days probably made her curious.

He picked up his coffee and sat beside her.

“Thinking of me?”

Sora frowned because the old teasing and flirty Taemin was back. “Only if you are one of these.” She turned the cellphone to him and he raised his eyebrows because she was checking pictures of dolphins.

“Oh right.” He chuckled “I remember that you had a dolphin soft toy in your bedroom last time. Oh, you like them!”

“I love them!” Sora smiled brightly “Someday I'm going to Jeju Island and I will swim with the dolphins.”

He smiled admiring the way her eyes shined with enthusiasm. He never saw her talk about something that way. She was always so serious about work or scolding him. Sometimes he wondered if she had a hobby, something she enjoyed besides work, if she lost control like normal people did.  That was refreshing and he found it adorable, his heart was even beating faster.

“Wow!” He moved his fingers on his cup and her smile faded “I'm very jealous of dolphins right now.”

“Why?”

He took a sip of coffee.

“They will get to swim with you and you look so passionate talking about them. I wish you looked like that when you think or speak of me.”

Sora scoffed and drank her coffee.

“Well, you did kiss me passionately last time and you never kissed a dolphin.”

Sora’s glare made one corner of his lip rise in a teasing smile.

“I would rather kiss a dolphin than you.”

Taemin watched her in silence and then widened his eyes as if he remembered something.

“By the way, you said I was a bad kisser.” He pouted his lips and Sora froze. He seemed so sad but she knew it was all fake. When did he become such a good actor? The teasing brat! “I had no idea I was that bad.”

Sora bit her lower lip and pretended to be focused on her phone instead. Obviously, she was lying. Taemin was a really good kisser.

“Why am I bad though? I want to improve.”

If he improved she was sure she would combust with one of his kisses but she would never admit it. “Too much saliva.”

“Really?” even though his voice was innocent his gaze wasn't “Anything else?”

“You - You didn't let me breathe enough.”

“What?” He laughed incredulous “Ok then, maybe I should practice.” His voice lowered to a y tone “Maybe you can help me.”

Sora fluttered her eyes provocatively “Find someone else to practice with!” She stood up with her mug of coffee and walked to the door.

“I will.”

Sora hesitated and Taemin watched her back wondering how that made her feel.

“You don't mind if I find someone else to kiss?”

Sora answered him over her shoulder “Not at all. I don't care.”

She left the room and Taemin chuckled pulling his coffee mug to his lips. She was so hot and beautiful and the way she spoke about the dolphins made her even more attractive in his eyes. He never would imagine that he would go crazy over a woman talking about dolphins.

 

 

 

Jinki parked in front of the small candle store. It was his lunch break and he didn't eat yet. As soon as his meeting ended he left the company. He often ate alone or met his friends but that day he was thinking a lot about Nari. He wasn't able to see her the last two days since he was busy and even though she texted him he weirdly missed her. That morning at work was particularly stressing and when he was going to smoke he thought about her. Maybe her method of stop smoking was working after all.

Meeting Nari for lunch made him a masochist since she annoyed him, but she also made him feel calm and he enjoyed her company. That made no sense.

It didn't matter anyway. He needed to buy a candle also so he had a plausible reason to be there.

Jinki left the car and entered the store, his eyes moving immediately to the counter where a woman wearing a big pink sweater with the drawing of a horse over a long blue skirt was checking some papers.

Jinki smiled because Nari looked cute that day and actually more normal than the usual. Her hair was caught up in a bun with a big hair pin in the shape of a bear.

He quickly hid behind one of the shelves and took his time observing her.

She was striking something out from a list and he noticed the several boxes around her.  Nari was very feminine and not bad looking. He checked her out before but now he could take a better look at her without having to pretend he wasn't. Jinki walked to the shelf where the candle he usually bought was and peeked at her again from between the candles displayed in rows.

She bit her lower lip absentmindedly and Jinki sighed wanting to be the one biting her lower lip instead.

That was like the night she fell asleep on his couch. Her skin seemed so soft and sometimes she looked so ethereal, like the kind of magical beings you read about in stories. She could pass as a fairy or an elf wearing weird clothes and making candles. Jinki only realized that he was spending a long time lurking and watching her when a man showed up by her side and tickled her side making her jump and slap his hands away.

“Stop that and carry the boxes!” Nari scolded him with a smile and Jinki narrowed his eyes glaring at the man that touched her in such a familiar way. Was he her boyfriend? Was she cheating on him? Not that they were actually dating but...He never thought that pure and honest Nari would ever do that to him.

“I'm not your slave!” The man complained but he grabbed a box and flashed a pretty smile at her.

He was handsome, probably shorter than Jinki and was wearing casual clothes as if he was at home.

Maybe that was the guy that lived at her place.

The man walked away and Jinki turned back to the shelf to look for the candle he needed. Why did she let that guy touch her like that? They seemed very close and he slept at her place every night. Jinki wondered if his bedroom was next to hers. They probably even ate lunch together every day. He groaned upset and in his haste to find the candle he wanted he pushed others to the floor.

The sound attracted Nari that hurried to help him grab the candles and place them back on the shelves. She aligned them and then turned to Jinki with a soft smile.

“I didn't see you come in.”

“I didn't want to interrupt you.” he said bitterly.

Nari didn't seem to notice his frustration and instead touched his hand that was still holding a candle. He stared at her hand admired with the way the skin of her fingers felt soft against his. They held hands before and he never noticed how small and delicate her hand was, how soft her skin felt , even though he was just before thinking about the soft skin of her neck.

“You want it?”

Jinki blinked his eyes. Did she just ask if he wanted her? He followed her gaze to the candle he was still holding. Oh, that's what she meant.

“It has lavender. It promotes happiness.” Nari explained and Jinki placed the candle back on the shelf next to the other ones.

He didn’t feel that happy at the moment. “I want the one I always get.”

Nari smiled passing by him so close he could smell her soft perfume and then grabbed the usual green one he always bought from an upper shelf.

She walked back to the counter and he followed her awkwardly still thinking about his lustful thoughts from before. He went from wanting to kiss her to wanting to sleep with her and that wasn't good. They were supposed to be over by now. He couldn't complicate things even more.

The guy that lived with her came back again and he watched them talk briefly while she cleaned the counter to wrap the candle. Nari called him Jonghyun and he caught the man glancing at him as if he was her guardian or something, evaluating him.

“Is there any other box to take downstairs?” He asked while Nari placed a yellow wrapping paper on the counter.

“No. It’s all of them thank you.”

Jonghyun didn't move and stood by her side his eyes in Jinki that didn't look away either. Was that a battle of stares?!

“You can go now.” Nari said seeming embarrassed and Jonghyun moved away from the counter but didn't leave.

“Is he your boyfriend?” Jinki asked in a lower voice so he couldn't hear.

“Jonghyun?” Nari chuckled “No. He is like my brother.”

“He lives here right?”

“Yes and Sora, my friend too.”

Sora was the girl Taemin was after, he saw him take her home before.

“Jonghyun was my father’s apprentice. After my dad died he followed me around until I accepted his request to live here.”

“He stalked you?”

Nari chuckled because Jinki’s worried expression was funny “No. He admired my father a lot and once I became an orphan he wanted to take care of me. We became friends and I let him live in the room at the back of the store.”

Jinki’s eyes moved from the professional way Nari wrapped the candle to Jonghyun that was still watching him from the other side of the store. She saw him as a brother but that didn’t mean that Jonghyun felt the same towards her.

“Is he in love with you?” Jinki asked lowering his voice even more.

“No. He sees me as a little sister!” Nari grabbed a red ribbon “Are you perhaps...jealous?” Jinki shook his head. The idea was ridiculous. It seemed to amuse her though because her lips parted into a beautiful smile.

“No, I'm not.” His tone of voice probably made his answer suspiciously false because she seemed very happy about it.

Was he jealous? Maybe he was, he didn't like to see Jonghyun touch her and the idea of him living with her also wasn't pleasing to him. However he wasn't jealous because he had feelings for her, he was jealous because she was supposed to be his little mouse and not play with another guy. It was only that.

Jonghyun approached them again “Do you need any help?”

The question was directed at Nari but his eyes were on Jinki and he realized that the candle was wrapped and that was the moment he was supposed to pay and leave. But he didn't want to.

“Want to have lunch with me?”

“Right now?” Nari asked accepting the money from him.

“Yes. I missed you.” That wasn't planned at all but it wasn't a lie either even though he said it because Jonghyun was watching both of them. She had to accept his invitation so he could show that guy that he was the one she liked.

Nari pursed her lips before answering “Well I…"

“She had lunch already.” Jonghyun answered for Nari that glared at him.

“But I can go with you!” She added quickly “I can accompany you and Jonghyun will take care of the store for me, right?”

The man beside her took a deep breath but nodded his head.

“I'm going to grab my bag.” Nari remarked before she climbed the stairs behind the counter happily, leaving both men alone.

Jinki grabbed the package with the candle feeling Jonghyun’s stare on him.

Their dislike for each other seemed to be mutual.

 

 

Sora always liked black. She was even scolded a lot by her mother for wearing black clothes often. She was still young and should wear colorful clothes that matched her age but it was her own decision what clothes she would wear and also by going against her mother she could keep acting like the rebellious girl. Yet that day she hated her black hanbok. She wasn't wearing it because she liked the color, she was wearing it because the portrait on the altar was of her father.

Her mother was talking with a friend of her father that came to pay respect while her sister was in one corner of the room talking with two of her close classmates.

Her eyes drifted to the portrait of her father smiling. They choose the picture taken after they went on a family trip when everything seemed to be going well in their lives, when her father had fewer wrinkles in the corners of his eyes, when she didn't start to act like a spoiled brat, when he wasn't sad all the time and didn't argue with her mother.

It seemed to Sora that that man from the picture was another version of the father she loved. She didn't see his body yet, he wasn't prepared for the funeral yet and she wasn't able to say her goodbyes, but she already dreaded the moment she had to see his lifeless body again. One time was enough and as much as she tried she couldn't see the father she knew for the last weeks in that picture. He wasn't also in the body she found dead in her parent's bedroom.

Sora quietly left the room after telling her mom that she was going to the bathroom. She passed by the dining area and spotted some of her relatives eating together and talking about her father, some even laughing. She couldn't do that. She couldn't speak about him and smile at least not for now. She only wanted to get out of that place, get rid of the smell of the incense that seemed to be everywhere.

Instead of going to the bathroom she stepped outside and leaned against the side wall of the building.

Guilt assaulted her again. For the last months, the only thing she did was make her father scold her. Later she would realize that that was the only way her young self found to call for his attention but at the moment Sora only felt guilt. Maybe if she didn't go out without his consent, maybe if she hadn't screamed at him, maybe if she studied more, maybe he wouldn't have done it. She would give up on everything for only a few more hours with him. Sora grasped her arm holding it with all her strength.  She started to do that to hurt herself as a way of punishment for disappointing her family. It never truly helped contain the pain and regret she was feeling after her father died.

“I left them a big amount of money.” A familiar voice caught her interest and she peeked to see one of her uncles speaking to a man she recalled to be related to her mother's family. “I feel for the girls. They are still so young. Sora should go to college and marry, she needs to help her mother. They didn't have any son.”

“If only things could have been different.”

“I'm sure that if he didn't lose his company he wouldn't have committed suicide.”

She bit her lower lip. It was true that her father lost his company two months before that happened, it was true his mood got even worse. To her father his small company that created and sold perfumes was everything.

“The truth is that he was being pressured by that big CEO to sell it.” her uncle said.

“Really?I thought he sold it because he didn't have money to pay the employees.”

“It was true he was going through rough times but trust me when I say that losing his company to that big one was the nail in the coffin.”

Sora hid again behind the wall and cleaned the tears falling down her eyes. It happened all the time now, almost automatically.

Her father's sadness, the way his marriage with her mother was falling apart and maybe even the reason he seemed to ignore her existence lead to his death and it was all because of the person that bought the company from him.

 

“Sora?”

Sora’s attention was back to the present day and to her coworkers calling her from across the table. They were having a company dinner and she was tired.

“You seem distracted.” her coworker pointed out and Sora smiled at her.

“It's nothing.” She grabbed her glass to drink and watched two of her male coworkers bickering again about who could drink the most.

“Where is Taemin?” One said, “He seems like a good drinker!”

Sora rolled her eyes and played with her earring. He also came along and in only two hours became the favorite person of everyone. Women either found him cute and adorable or y and hot. Men treated him as if he was the prodigy younger brother they never had.  Of course being the son of the boss helped, but the idiot was working hard lately and doing his job well for a newbie out of college with no experience. The truth was that she was the one guiding him along but she was a woman and therefore in that male-ruled society no one cared.

If they only knew how Taemin was at night. He was an exemplary worker by day and a dark seducer by night.

Sora giggled to herself. That suited him. One man and two identities.

“Sora can you go find Taemin?” One of her older coworkers asked.

“Me? Why? He probably went to the bathroom.”

He did go to the bathroom almost forty minutes ago though.

“Oh don't be like that.” Before he annoyed her more and because she needed to be respectful,  Sora stood up and went in search of Taemin.

She couldn't care less about where Taemin was….right?

She touched the button of the collar of her blouse and ed it because she was feeling hot due to the alcohol she drank.

Sora checked the bathroom but didn't found him. Next to the bathroom door was a door to a back alley. Some men were smoking there so Sora passed by them and further down. She walked outside to catch some cold air and wondering if maybe he had the same idea just like it happened in the bar when they met. He was there but not alone.

Taemin was accompanied by a brunette that was latched on him as if he was the last man on Earth, her lips moving against his in a cinematic liplock.

Taemin’s eyes weren't closed so he spotted Sora watching them. She thought he would push the woman away but he didn't. Instead, he wrapped an arm around her pulling her again this chest in a very manly arousing way and closed his eyes kissing her more eagerly.

Sora felt weird. She didn't want to watch that but at the same time she couldn't move. A part of her wanted to see what would happen next.

What happened was that after a while they broke the kiss. The girl offered him a drunk goodbye offering him a paper with her number, telling him to call her and then left.

Taemin crumpled the paper in his hand and threw it in the garbage can nearby before walking back to Sora.

She swallowed hard and did her best to act normal as if what she witness didn't affect her.

“Everyone was wondering where you were.”

“I met someone when I went to the bathroom and got a little busy.”

Sora didn't answer and he passed his fingers over his lips as if he had to remember her of what just happened.

Angel by day devil by night. It fitted him perfectly.

“Are you upset? You seem upset.”

Sora turned around without even answering and she heard him follow her even though he said nothing.  Both joined the others at the table. Taemin immediately became his angel self and Sora avoided looking at him the rest of the night.

Yes, she was upset. He held that woman and kissed her in a similar way he did to her and that truly upset her.

 

 

“Are you cold?” Jinki asked Nari. They went out for dinner and then ended up at his place to drink coffee and talk and she hadn't taken her coat off yet.

Nari moved a hand over her coat sleeve “Not really.” There was a moment of hesitation and then she pulled the sleeve of her coat up showing her arm to him.

For a second he saw nothing but then she raised her arm for him to see the small red dots all over it.

“I probably ate too much chocolate. Sometimes my body reacts to it.”

“You should stop eating it then.” It annoyed him that she acted like a kid when it came to her health.

“Then I would have to stop eating. When the doctors realized I was allergic to almost everything and that I also had severe breathing problems they told my parents that I could die of the smallest thing. Instead of overprotecting me they decided to let me experiment the most that could hurt me in small doses with hopes that my body would learn to fight it. And in some cases it worked. I'm still here after all. I just need to be careful and know my limits.”

“That is very bothersome.” It must have been bad for her growing up with those limitations.

“It's alright now. I´m used to it now.”

“You can take your coat off if you want. Now I know about it, no point of hiding.” She was probably too self-conscious about it around him.

“I wasn't hiding it because of that. It's not a shame to be sick. It just makes people uncomfortable sometimes.”

He smiled and then moved his hands to her shoulders to help her take the coat off.

“I don't care about it.” it was only small tiny little dots that he barely could see, since the only light in the room was from a lamp beside the couch.

“You are not going to tease me?” Nari asked half jokingly and for once he realized that he wasn't the only one that got used to hiding what he truly thought behind a smile. Along the way she probably had to grow a thick skin and ignore the way people treated her differently because of her health and the way she behaved.

“No. I won't.” He poked one of the marks on her arm as if he needed to prove that he was ok with it.

Nari seemed a little taken aback but watched him in silence. Suddenly the mood in the room changed and Jinki swallowed moving his fingers over the skin of her arm tracing an imaginary line between those red dots, a line that he wasn't keeping attention to anymore because his gaze was on her face, on her eyes on him, on her lips parted, asking for him to kiss them.

“Do you only have them on your arms?” he asked not much louder than a whisper realizing suddenly how close they were to each other.

“Mostly my arms…” She stuttered a little “Also legs and chest…”

“I see…” His fingers itched and he wanted to trace the red dots up to her shoulders and then down to her chest and legs, explore her body in search for more.

“You don't have any on your neck and…” he couldn't help it “And lips.”

She pursed her lips as if she suddenly realized his true intentions and then answered softly. “I have some on my neck…not my lips.”

Jinki leaned forward and waited for her reaction. She was a clueless girl coming to his apartment at night alone, wasn't she? Or maybe she wanted that, maybe she wanted to be seduced by him as much as he wanted to seduce her. They were meeting an awful lot now - he broke the three dates rule of him already - and they even called each other. It was as if they were dating and yet they never even kissed yet. If things progressed it would be even more complicated for him to maintain a good relationship with her and get to buy her candles after they broke up but…

Nari didn't move an inch and he knew it. She desired that kiss as much as he did and that meant trouble.

Jinki placed his hand on her arm which made her shiver but she didn't move away. He slid his hand over her skin slowly admired with the softness of it. He moved his lips to her neck and she held her breath when they brushed against her neck over one of her spots. Her skin was like silk and he closed his eyes, his blood pumping faster with desire.  Jinki raised his head to look at her and he wasn't surprised to see the aroused way she was looking back at him. That was the right moment. He was going to close small distance between his lips and hers when she rubbed her nose that was itchy.

Jinki pulled away, the moment ruined and chuckled at the ridiculousness of the situation.

“I'm sorry. Just a little itchy.”

“Because of me?” he asked. Last time she sneezed because he made her nervous.

“No. Probably because of one of my allergies.”

“Great.” he stood up grabbing the now empty mugs and took them to the kitchen.

Nari stayed alone in the room disappointed. She wanted that kiss. It was the perfect romantic moment. Ever since her last boyfriend, she never met anyone that didn't care about her crazy allergies. It was true that her last boyfriend only wanted her money though. He probably pretended all along. She sighed admiring the way the only lamp in the room illuminated his living room, casting shadows over the small bookcase he had beside the window. Last time she was there she was able to check it briefly. The only place in his small apartment she never entered was his bedroom.

Nari liked his taste in books and he had a very interesting collection of gaming awards and science ones. Lee Jinki was smart and that was truly attractive to her. And he was also absolutely handsome too. Nari giggled to herself recalling the way he almost kissed her. He could be lying to her about stopping smoking - she pretended no to saw a pack of cigarettes in his coat pocket earlier that night when he tried to hide it quickly - but he wanted to kiss her and that was something.

Jinki entered the room again and sat by her side on the couch not saying anything and she watched him searching for something to say, not because she was uncomfortable - because that never happened when she was with him - but because she wanted to talk with him. Their conversations when he wasn't seducing her were always interesting….well even when he was seducing her. She couldn't deny she loved it. Nari had her fair share of dates and even had boyfriends before but Jinki was far more interesting than all of the previous men she met.

Sometimes she wondered if he remembered her from the summer they both volunteered at the community center. He never mentioned it before so probably not. They didn't even talk back then and most likely he didn't even notice her there.

“Four years ago I volunteered at the community center for one month.” And that was the first time she truly fell for the customer with the beautiful smile that went to her store. He was so gentle with everyone and despite being rich he was humble and even played the piano and sang for everyone. She was so moved back then that she teared up watching his performance.

“Really?” He seemed surprised “I did too. We could have met each other.”

Nari hid her disappointment well. “We could.” She wondered if he would have spoken to her if she tried to strike a conversation with him back then, if they would still be contacting each other now. In her wildest dreams maybe they could be dating and then what happened with her ex would never have happened at all.

Silence fell on the room again and she watched him in silence. He seemed to be thinking hard about something maybe trying to figure out if he met her back then.

“It's been over one week.” She said finally “One week without dramas.” Not truly a week without him smoking though.

“Oh.” He seemed sorry towards her “Maybe we can watch one together as a reward.”

That proposal made her brighten up “You mean it?”

“I'm not a big fan of dramas but why not? Maybe you can suggest me a good one and we can watch together.”

Nari took her phone from inside her bag and searched for one she truly enjoyed before. It was a thriller with some romance. It deviated from the typical dramas and had a serial killer on the loose. She enjoyed watching it and was sure Jinki would too.

Quickly she explained the premise to Jinki and started the first episode holding her phone in the middle of their legs that were joined together. They were extremely close but she didn't seem to realize it, too focused on the drama she watched before.

Jinki realized it though, how their bodies were touching, how her head was close to his and how he could smell her sweet fresh scent. Nari didn't only make candles, she was scented like one and it aroused him.

Above all, the expression on her face, the way her eyes shined while watching the drama it made him smile too and slowly he relaxed, her scent and her warmth becoming familiar.

 

Sora entered Taemin’s office and placed the document for him to sign over his desk and the papers he was working on.

He removed his eyes from the computer screen to her with a blank expression and she regretted the aggressive way she acted and treated him the whole day. He was working well lately and respecting her space, not flirting with her anymore, so why was she so angry after all?!

“Is this all because you are jealous?” Apparently, Taemin didn't miss her weird behavior towards him.

“Jealous?” That was ridiculous.

“Yes, because I kissed that woman yesterday at the restaurant.”

“No. I don't care about what do you do.” She was the one who told him to go practice his kissing with other women after all.

Taemin exhaled slowly and grabbed the paper Sora brought to him. He had some serious decision to do when it came to the image of an old perfume they were trying to sell.

“I only need to read this and sign?” He grabbed his seal and Sora nodded having mixed feelings about the way he decided the topic of the kissing fall like that. “Anything else for me to do?”

She bit her lower lip. He had a pile of folders on his table already beside a big book that he was clearly consulting once in a while. Taemin was working hard, he was even staying later every night.

“You are doing a good job for a newbie.”

The compliment was sincere and he seemed truly happy with it.

“Thank you. There are many things I don't understand but I'm doing my best and I have you.”

His comment made her tingle inside. He had her…

“I heard yesterday at dinner that you graduated with impressive grades. Best of our year.”

He chuckled as if that was nothing “I did my best...apparently, it wasn't enough for some.”

Sora watched him confused. What was that supposed to mean?!

“I guess that for some people you are always bound to fail, doesn't matter how hard you try and yet…” he played with his seal “...you keep trying your best.”

The bitterness in his voice intrigued her but what came next truly surprised Sora.

“I might have done good at college but this, real life, this job and position, I'm not qualified enough for it. I lack experience!”

It was an honest answer and she was impressed. So he recognized that he was offered that place because of his father.

“Anyway, should I sign this?”

Sora blinked her eyes not expecting that question either. Taemin was truly asking her opinion in a big decision like that?

“You are more experienced than me, right?” There was no malice in his comment.

“You are asking my opinion?” it was true she helped him in almost everything but that decision was supposed to be made by him alone. That was also the first time a man inside that company asked for her opinion on something. “I'm sure you could ask someone else’s opinion.”

“Why can't I ask yours? Wasn't this supposed to be your job? Didn't I came in here and steal it from you?”

He probably learned some things about her from the dinner the previous night. Her coworkers were a bunch of gossipers after all.

“The old director never asked for my opinion.”

“Why?” He truly seemed interested.

“Because I'm a woman? Because he was an .”

Taemin chuckled “Well you are the person most qualified to answer it and I don't think that having a or not will change it. So, should I sign this or will it destroy completely this perfume’s image?”

Sora smiled and nodded “Sign it. It seems like a good decision even if it sounds bold.”

Taemin stamped the paper and then gave it back to Sora. Then he grabbed his phone and his things and turned to the computer.

“I have to go earlier today. I am already late.”

Sora watched him and the words left before she had time to think “You have a date?”

Taemin didn't even look at her too busy turning off the computer “With the girl I kissed last night.”

His words hit her in a more painful way than she expected.

“I'm kidding.” A sense of relief washed over her “I have no idea what is her number. I threw it away and besides I don't intend to see her ever again. Also, I don't have a date. I have other plans.” He put his coat on “You have to stop being jealous Sora.”

Taemin walked to Sora and she didn't even flinch when he touched her lips with his fingers. Somehow that felt familiar now. He moved his finger on her lower lip and for a moment she thought he would kiss her but…

“I don't want to punish you with my awful kisses anymore. Have a good night Miss Kitty.”

Sora stood in the empty office after he left still holding the papers. It was hot how he recognized his shortcomings for that job position, how he admitted that she was the one who should have used her seal in that paper; and it was hot how he treated her as an equal too. That time she truly wanted him to kiss her.

 

 

Jinki parked his car in front of Nari’s store. Their date was officially over and he was relieved and sad at the same time. Relieved because he couldn't watch another episode of the drama they started watching together. It wasn't bad but he was starting to get sleepy watching it, maybe he was tired. Yet he was sad because weirdly he enjoyed her company.

“Well then…” It was time for a quick goodbye so that he could go back home and sleep. However, Nari wasn't leaving and she was staring at his car's glove compartment.

“What's wrong?”

“I take the contract we made very seriously!”

He stuttered his eyes drifting to the gloves compartment. Did she had x-ray vision now?! He did hide his cigarettes there earlier. “I-I take it seriously too!”

She opened it and easily found the pack of cigarettes he “hid” there. He had it in the pocket of his coat earlier that night, he completely forgot because he didn't smoke in two days and in his haste to conceal it from her he threw it inside it. He thought she didn't notice but obviously he was wrong.

“What are you doing?” His defense mechanism kicked in and he closed the gloves compartment upset “You can't go through people's things like that!”

“I can when it comes to drugs and protecting that person from them!”

“Drugs?!” She was going too far “That is not drugs and you are not my mother.”

“No I'm not but I worry about you.” She opened her bag and took out a folded piece of paper that he recognized immediately as the contract they made. “Also I have this!”

“That's only a damn piece of paper. It means nothing!”

Nari glared at him and Jinki swallowed hard. He never saw her so upset. “You just said that you took it seriously, and yes it does mean something. We both agreed on it. It's like a promise.”

“I didn't agree on anything.” He was lead to accept that stupid situation.

“You signed it!” Nari insisted and they both frowned at each other. They were like two kids fighting or a couple of lovers quarreling.

“I signed it to shut you up!” As soon as the words came out he regretted them because Nari’s expression fell and she looked at her lap soulless.

“I see.”

Jinki groaned frustrated. The last thing he wanted at that moment was to hurt her but she needed to back off and stop pestering him about that nonsense contract. Why was she so worried about him smoking anyway?! And why the hell was he so worried about her feelings?! Didn't he want to push her away?

“Look, I'm sorry but you can't possibly believe that someone can stop smoking that easily.”

“It's not easy, I'm giving you time. I just wanted to give you enough motivation for you to do it.”

“Why would I ever stop?” He his seat and she looked at him with puppy eyes that almost broke his heart “Why do you want me to stop smoking?”

“I told you before. It kills.”

“I think that everyone that smokes knows the danger of doing it.”

“I care about you!” She stated it firmly “You have people that care about you.”

“Smoking won't kill me on the spot!”

“It's true but it raises the chances of it happening earlier than it should. My father died of lung cancer.” She took a deep breath “If he didn't smoke maybe he could still be here, maybe he could have lived longer.” So that was the reason. “I would do anything to raise the chances of having him here alive with me by my side longer, wouldn't you do it for someone you love also?”

Jinki swallowed hard. If he could he would do anything for only a whole year more…

“So If I stop smoking…”

“You get points in the health factor, just like a game.” her comparison made him smile and his tone softened.

He got it now. He knew why she was doing that. She said she cared for him, she liked him.

“Like a game.” he repeated, “I understand those.” He had to, he was the owner of a company who developed them.

“Yes. You like them.” he could see the excitement grow on her now that they seemed to reach a level of understanding “Your life percentage goes up like 20% when you don't smoke.”

“Maybe 30%!” he added and she nodded happily. Oh, she was cute!

“Then will I get a reward if I manage to do it? You get those in games when you achieve a mission.”

“I will give you a reward. Something you truly want. Tell me and I will give it to you. A special candle? Maybe a cake? I can bake you one.”

“No…” There was something else he wanted for a long time now, something he carved and only she could give it to him. Maybe that was what he was waiting all that time for, for her to offer it to him, for him to work to actually deserve it. His eyes fell to her lips and he noticed how she blinked her eyes nervously. Nari knew what he wanted. “I want a kiss.” He grabbed her hand and made her raise one finger. “I want one kiss.”

“Will you stop smoking if I give you a kiss?” She asked in a sweet way that only made him desire her lips even more.

“A kiss on the lips, not the cheek or anywhere else.” he needed to make that clear.

“I know.” her answer made his heart beat faster and for a moment he wondered if he was the one setting the traps to catch that mouse or the other way around.

He was supposed to be the cat in that story so he raised the stakes even more “One kiss for every week without smoking, a reward for every mission accomplished. Deal?”

He raised his pinky and waited for her answer. Nari intertwined her pinky with his much to his relief.

“Deal. But you must promise you won't truly smoke after I leave. No lying.”

He furrowed his brow. Did she know?

“Then all this time you…” She didn't let him finish.

“Doesn't matter. Let's pretend it didn't happen.”

Nari was giving him a  second chance and Jinki watched that curious woman in front of him in a different way.

“Let's add this to the contract.” he suggested. Maybe he was becoming crazy like her but he truly wanted to make that work. He wanted to win that kiss fairly.

She gave him the paper and he took a pen from his pocket and started writing the new clause to it.

He could kiss any woman he wanted, he would even kiss Nari if he truly wanted. She was there by his side in the car, he could force it on her, hell he could even have kissed her when they were watching the drama at his place and yet it wasn't the right time, it wasn't the right thing to do. Maybe he was an idiot, a crazy fool but that silly contract they made seemed to be fun and above all he had a motivation to stop smoking. Nari was right. He was going to raise his life bar to 30% more and even get to claim her lips in one go.

“We both should sign it.”

She agreed to it and after both did it he added “I should have a copy of it too.” he took a picture with his phone under the supervision of a satisfied Nari.

“You truly taking this seriously.” She remarked.

“Of course. I take games pretty seriously.”

He gave the contract back to her and Nari folded it again and placed it inside her bag. “So I guess it's goodnight now.”

He wished Nari a good night and then waited for her to enter her place. She looked at him one last time and he saw himself smile back at her.

As soon as Nari closed the door he grabbed the pack of cigarettes and threw it back to the car seat. That and the one he had back home were going to be thrown away.

He wasn't going to cheat. He was going to win that game fairly and her lips would be his.

Jinki always loved a good game.

 

 

Taemin the lamp on the bedside table and placed the tray of food on the bed next to his mother.

“Why didn't you go downstairs to have dinner?”

“My head hurts.”

Taemin didn't say anything, already expecting that answer, and instead pushed the tray to his mother.

“Today is a special day. It's someone's birthday!” He tried to be cheerful even though his mother didn't seem that excited.

“Your father gave me flowers.” She said fixing the pillow behind her.

“That was nice of him.” He wished he had taken her out for lunch instead or was there so that they could have a dinner like a family, something they didn't do in a long time.

“I have a surprise for you!” Taemin chuckled searching his pocket and then took a small box from it.

His mother grabbed it seeming slightly interested.

“Open it up!”

She opened the box and looked at the bracelet with small silver seashells. Taemin’s mother always loved the sea and he thought that that was a good way to try and motivate her to leave the house.

“I was thinking, Jinki’s family still have their boat and maybe we could go sailing tomorrow. It can be fun! What do you think?”

“Your brother went with us last time.” The mentioning of Minwoo made Taemin frown.

“I know mom but that doesn't mean that you, me and dad can't go. I can convince him to take the day off and we could…”

“Without Minwoo it won't be the same.”

“It doesn't have to be the same.” Taemin insisted. “He won't be back mom. We can't stay with our lives suspended waiting for him when he isn't coming back. We have to move on.” Taemin grabbed her arm “You have to move on and live again mom.”

“I can't, not when your brother isn't living. It's not fair.” She raised her hands to her eyes covering her face murmuring “He deserved so much more.”

Taemin stood up from the bed “He did! You are right mom but it happened and there is nothing we can do to change it. We also deserve so much more.” He knew that he shouldn't snap at her but he was losing his temper, he was getting tired of seeing her like that. “You deserve much more than being in this room all day pretending that he will come back and everything will be alright because he won't mom.”

“Stop saying that.” She begged, grasping her pillow, but Taemin wasn't going to stop.

“Minwoo isn't coming back mom!”

“STOP SAYING THAT!” She screamed.

“He isn't here anymore but I am mom.”

“You were always jealous of him!” his mother accused him, tears now falling down her cheek.

“I…” Taemin lost his voice. Was that what his mother thought?

His father always compared them and Taemin always failed but he was never jealous of his brother. He admired him as much as his parents did and there wasn't a day that passed without him missing his older brother dearly.

Taemin bit his lower lip. Even though he was falling apart inside no one would see him cry.

“You wish he was here instead of me. That we traded places.”

His mother cried louder but didn't answer. Yet he could read in that lack of an answer that he wasn't far from the truth.

“I wish I could do it too….But even on that I fail.”

 

 

“Where is Nari?” One of Sora’s friend asked. She was out drinking at the usual bar with two of her old friends. They rarely saw each other and usually, Sora would bring Nari with her so it wouldn't be too awkward.

“She had a date.”

“Oh, nice.”

Sora grabbed her drink and tried to keep attention to the conversation between her two friends - which was basically about their boyfriends - when she noticed Taemin sitting alone at the counter drinking.

That was the bar where they met and apparently, they were failed to meet there over and over again. However, wasn't he supposed to have plans for that night?

She watched him carefully. He seemed to be in such a good mood when he left work and now his expression was blank and he wasn't even checking out any girl, acting like his playboy self. He was just there drinking, his mind seemed to be elsewhere and Sora couldn't shake the feeling away that something was wrong.

She pursed her lips pondering if she should approach him but that was when another woman sat by his side. He didn't seem that interested in talking with her but she was all smiles. Another guy approached them after a while and strike a conversation with Taemin. He seemed rather displeased with the woman and glared at Taemin. Sora supposed that he was the woman's boyfriend and that Taemin found himself in a mess without even searching for it. Still instead of explaining to this man that he wasn't at fault there Taemin’s attitude changed and he was now sending the girl a flirty smile which confused Sora.

After a heated argument that made Sora completely lose track of the conversation at her own table, the guy pushed Taemin that stood up with raised arms and palms turned to the man in a peaceful way.

Sora watched them talk a little longer smiling at her friends once in a while pretending that she was still keeping attention to their conversation. When she looked back at the scene Taemin had just wrapped an arm around the woman and got a punch from her boyfriend in exchange. Sora flinched on her seat but Taemin only chuckled. Things would probably have gotten worse if the bar owner didn't separate the boyfriend from Taemin at that moment and asked the later to leave.

Sora witnessed the scene and followed Taemin with her eyes. He grabbed his bottle of beer from over the counter and left the bar.

“Is everything alright?” one of Sora's friends asked, “You seem distracted.”

“It's nothing.” it was nothing. She didn't care about him at all. If he wanted to get drunk and seduce another guy's girlfriend to get in trouble than it was his bad. However he didn't really seduce her, he didn't seem to care for her until that man showed up. It was as if Taemin was searching for conflict and unfortunately, Sora knew that destructive behavior really well.

“You know what, I remembered I have something to do. I'm sorry. I need to go.”

She quickly grabbed her things and ran outside. She didn't lose time checking the street and followed her instinct turning to the alley behind the bar where they kissed for the first time. If Taemin was there then she would cross the line and approach him not as her coworker but as a possible friend, if he wasn't then she would forget about what she saw.

Sora stopped under the sign of the bar and her lips twitched.

Taemin was there, sitting on the steps in darkness.

An angel by day, a devil by night, however at that moment he was neither, just a human like her.

He seemed to notice her standing there because he chuckled and even though she couldn't see his eyes she was sure he was looking at her.

“This is like a scene of a drama. The great Lee Taemin, heir of one of the biggest companies in South Korea was kicked out of a bar after he was punched and the amazing Nam Sora came to make fun of his demise.”

“I was thinking more along the lines of by day Lee Taemin is the popular Marketing director of one of the biggest companies in South Korea, a prodigy, an exemplary son. However by night, he is the guy that goes out seducing every girl, the one from whom we should hide our children.”

Taemin laughed out loud and Sora walked closer to him so that she could see his expression.

He rubbed his cheek still laughing but his eyes weren't following so her smile faded.

“You are so wrong there, like everyone else.”

She stopped beside him and wondered if she should sit beside him. The closer she got to him the deepest she would be tangled in his affairs, in him, and that could mean big trouble to her.

“Why am I wrong? Aren't you a rich heir, popular, the jewel of the Lee family?”

“I'm not a beloved son, even though everyone seems to think that, even you. Everyone thinks that just because you are born with everything to be good and happy that you end up like that. It's not that easy, things happen and...I'm not a two-dimensional character of a typical drama.” He drank from the bottle “But you are right about something, I am the devil for sure!”

“You are drunk.” Sora remarked crossing her arms over her chest.

“No, I wish I was. “ He raised the bottle of beer “I need a couple more of these to get there but I will.”

She bit her lower lip and watched him in silence. When she met him before he was wearing all black and that seemed to be his preferred color for when he went out seducing women. However that night he was still wearing his suit from work, his cheek was reddish from the punch he received and he was lacking that mischievous expression he always had when he . He seemed out of it…

“You wanted to be punched.” It was a sudden realization and she knew she was right because his steel like gaze confirmed the truth “That's why you teased the guy by wrapping an arm around his girlfriend, that's why you didn't even retaliate or complain when you were kicked out because you did it all on purpose.”

“Was it that obvious? I didn't want t to be kicked out though. Didn't think that far.”

Sora sat by his side on the step of the stairs. It was late now, she was too involved.

“Sometimes you are so frustrated with yourself that you search for ways to punish yourself.” He added.

“And hurting yourself physically seems like the right thing to do.” Sora completed and they both looked at each other, some kind of understanding flowing between them. It was funny how sometimes they didn't need to say anything, how they seemed to understand each other in ways deeper than words.

Sora ed the sleeve of her blouse and pulled it up showing her arm to Taemin. He didn't see anything special about it but then she grasped her arm with all strength making him gasp and then released it. He faintly could see her fingers marked on her skin when the light of the bar sign that still flickered once in a while light up.  

“I did this to myself before,” Sora explained. "I hated myself." Taemin's gaze softened and he raised his hand hesitating but she pulled his fingers down to touch her red skin so Taemin traced the mark slowly while it disappeared.

“You hurt yourself? Did you...”

She knew what he was asking “No. I would never. But I was so mad at the world and I hated the person I was, the one that couldn't do anything to stop things from happening, the one that I saw in the mirror.”

“Did it help?" He never tried to hurt himself like that, but his teenager days were pretty normal until he lost his brother.

“Not really. That's why I went to college, left home and decided to change my life. That's the only thing I seemed to have control over so…”

“Good thinking.” He praised her again and slowly moved his fingers away from her warm skin. None of them noticed how they were still touching each other, her hand still over his.

Sora slid the sleeve down her arm again and Taemin drank his beer in silence.

They were sharing and that was something unusual for both of them. Sora rarely shared anything and if she did she would do it with Linna and Jonghyun. Taemin only confided on Jinki and even those feelings and the anger inside him was usually hidden from him.

Still, though they were opening up about those things to someone they didn't know that well they didn't feel embarrassed.

“I never hurt myself but sometimes I wish I have died.” He added and Sora pursed her lips and looked at him sadly.

“Why?”

“So that I could be in the place of someone else.” He ran a hand through his hair and she didn't miss the way his eyes started to get wet “I would have traded with him in a heartbeat.”

Sora placed her hand on his shoulder comforting him and he looked away. “Forget it. It's stupid it can't be done.”

Sora didn't say anything but leaned her head against his shoulder and both stayed like that as if they were a real couple or at least friends. He didn't push her away either and his hand met hers on his lap and held it.

Maybe that was all he needed all that time, someone to listen to him, to give him some human warmth, just someone that truly wanted to be there beside him without asking any question or judging him.

“There was a time when I wanted to make that trade too. Then I learned that its part of the grieving process.” He didn't say anything but she knew he was paying attention to what she was saying “I would tell myself that I would be a good daughter, that I would do everything he wanted, that I would go in his place if he came back to me. My father had so much to give and his useless good for nothing daughter was the one that stayed.”

Taemin didn't say anything so she continued "But even if a trade was possible, wouldn't he be in my place wanting to make the same deal too? He loved me too much, he would suffer also, and I am sure the same would happen in your case."

Taemin sniffed and then spoke in a cheerful voice trying to change the subject "Why are we even here, at the back of a bar, sitting in almost darkness having this kind of conversation. We aren't even friends.”

Yet they were holding hands and she was until that moment with her head leaning against his shoulder.

“Still we understand each other and we are drawn to each other.”

“We are…” He his lips looking at her “And we are good in bed.”

Sora frowned because his teasing self was back but ended up smiling relieved with the change in his attitude “That's true. We are good together in some things. We can read each other well.”

He didn't say anything and instead looked at their fingers intertwined. It has been a long time since the last time he held someone's hand like that. He used to hold the hands of the girls he hooked up with but that was different. It had no second intentions, he only wanted to hold her hand because it felt good, because it made him feel warm, because he felt less alone and he was so tired of being alone.

“Lee Taemin, devil, I'm glad you are here, I'm glad we are both here and we didn't make that trade.”

Her comment made him choke up. When was the last time someone told him that he was happy to be with him? Besides Jinki that would say that not with words but with random hugs, he didn't hear that from anyone in a long time. He wished it was his parents saying that, or his brother but it wasn't bad hearing it from Sora either.

At that moment he wanted to hug her too, maybe even kiss her but he didn't move. He was giving that cat mouse hunt a hiatus, she deserved it that night.

“I mean alive.” Sora added embarrassed wondering if he didn't understand what she meant.

“Why?” His lips raised into a smile. He felt better, way better. “Don't you hate me?”

“I don't hate you. Well sometimes you get on my nerves but I don't hate you.”  She only hated one person in that world.

Taemin chuckled and rubbed his eyes, making his fringe fall over them and Sora’s heart tingled. He looked more handsome than ever,  dressed like a man, wearing an expensive suit but he looked like a boy smiling at her. His hand was so small, just like hers and yet he held hers so firmly, so manly and not delicate like her hand. He always gave her that mix of vibes, manly and yet boyish.

“You always say I am cocky and annoying.” He remarked, his voice now more cheerful “And of course lazy!”

“You are!” Her honesty made him laugh heartily and she couldn't help but laugh also “You did get better lately though.”

“Wow, thanks!” He ironically said “Why don't you make a list of things you don't like about me so that I can improve?! You also said I was a bad kisser!”

“I lied!”

Her confession made his smile falter and she felt her cheeks get hot under his penetrating gaze.

“You lied?” He did suspect that since she seemed to enjoy his kisses very much but he never thought she would admit her lie.

“You kiss very well.”

“Oh well thank you, you aren't that bad at all either.” Sora hoped that the subject would die there didn't come through “Why did you lie? That was very childish. You keep treating me like a kid and yet look at you!” He poked her nose playfully blinking his eyes cutely and Sora bit her lower lip falling deeper into the trap that was his beautiful intense gaze.

He never looked so attractive to her, so human, so approachable and vulnerable, so much like her. Sora should have stood up at that moment. Alarms were ringing inside her head but she didn't know what it meant, she didn't know that later on, she would look back at that moment when she let all her defenses fall as the moment that led to a major heartbreak and the flooding of pain into her life once again.

But as if it was meant to be she let her heart take control ignoring the possible consequences.

“Because I wanted to deny the obvious.”

“Which is?” Taemin asked raising an eyebrow, his seductive and yet adorable expression shutting up all alarms in Sora's head.

She was once again breaking the rules because of him. She was going to do what she wanted.

“That I want to do this!”

Sora leaned forward and only had time to see Taemin’s beautiful eyes on her lips before she closed hers kissing him.

 

Thank you for being here, for still reading. Thank you so much. 

I will keep writing. I will do my best.