Chapter 1

All You Never Say

It was during his second year in college when Baekhyun get to bump with Park Chanyeol for the very first time. Everyone might call it fate, but for Baekhyun it’s not, they just happen to be classmates in Biology.
“Is this seat taken?” looking up, Baekhyun finds a sheepishly looking Park Chanyeol asking him. Baekhyun could only shake his head as he realizes that no words seemed to come out from his mouth, too mesmerized to speak.
Minutes later, their professor came in, eyeing the whole class before saying: “do you know your seatmate?” he asked and Baekhyun cautiously glanced at the latter one who was already looking at him. Surprised, Baekhyun quickly turned his head towards the opposite direction, “I suppose not? But it’s okay since you’ll be getting to know each other well except for those who are taking up Medicine here, and because starting today, the person seating right beside you will be you partner for our laboratory exercises, what do you think?” the whole class went livid, complaining to their professor about this and that, and all of a sudden Sehun came to Chanyeol, whining like a child.
“er, you know this would happen right? Right?!” Sehun exclaimed; eyes’ suddenly meeting Baekhyun’s baffled ones. He gulped. Baekhyun wasn’t sure how it happened but everything seemed to go so fast that he could no longer comprehend what’s happening. He and Chanyeol; lab partners!
“I did not Hunnie, this is the only vacant chair . . . well . . . since you didn’t get me one and I thought you like to sit with Luhan this semester?” Chanyeol retorted, quite annoyed but he was grinning widely at his friend.
Sehun mouthed a you before trudging his way back to his seat.
“It’s okay with you right?” Baekhyun jolted when he heard Chanyeol beside him.
“Eh?”
“I mean us being lab partners?” Chanyeol asked voice laced with glee. Baekhyun could only nod, trying to supress the erratic beating of his heart.
“Great, anyway I’m Park Chanyeol” Chanyeol said reaching out his overly large hand for a handshake.
I know, Baekhyun mentally said.
“Byun Baekhyun”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Should I change my schedule?”
SMACK!
“And why would you do that?” Kyungsoo said while Baekhyun winced in pain.
“Yeah, others would go crazy for having such opportunity to share a same class with their crush, not to mention lab. partners. But you!” Jongdae added pointing a finger at his friend.
“You should consider yourself lucky Baek, who knows this will be your only chance to be close with Chanyeol.”
“Yes I like him but I have lots of other things to tend first like—” 
“Family”
“Tuition Fees”
“School expenses”
The two enumerated, and Baekhyun couldn’t disagree more since they were right.
They’ve been friends with Baekhyun and they’re keenly aware of the problems their friend is compelled to carry deep down in his heart. Being born in a middle class family never brought any problem to Baekhyun but when their farmland was pilfered from them by his scheming uncle, Baekhyun’s father became weary and so was his mom who became more and more relentless as the days go on, struggling where to get money and how to keep their family alive. But having luck on their side, his father was able to retrieve some piece of the land, enough to start their own little farm and started farming again, viable enough to keep them alive every day and enough to sustain Baekhyun in high school and enough to send him into college. And so, Baekhyun knowing that their farm could not sustain him in college forever applied for a scholarship program and was lucky enough to have his self to be accepted and glad to know that in some ways, he’s able to help his parents.
“We know it well Baek, but isn’t it too selfish to constrain yourself because of this?” Jongdae said as a matter of fact.
“I want to be friends with him, yes, but I’m worried” Baekhyun confessed and his two best friends could only frown as they’re keenly aware of what their friend is worried about.
“We know Baek but don’t tell us that you’ll fix this first and be happy after because that’s a total bull, why not be happy now, why wait for later? Why not love now, you know nothing lasts forever. Just enjoy the moment while it last Baek, you deserve to be happy too” Jongdae said.