Nerve

Ephemeral Iridescence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hard shove, feel the heavy weight
It's the same love that I push away”

She stared up at the speakers on the ceiling momentarily, cursing them for reminding her of her bittersweet feelings. She quickly shook it off and remembered that she was still on the clock.

“It's all in my head, there's not much I can do
You set your pace, I keep mine too
Each time I chase, I feel dark blue
Confuse your face for someone new”

She knew she couldn’t stew in these feelings forever. She eventually needed to tell him, but that would absolutely ruin everything.

“I guess I owe you for most everything
Like the way I feel and the curse you bring-”

Haru was making drinks alongside Jin for the mountain of customers that were waiting for the newbies, apparently named Monsta X, when the speakers cut off and the crowd started to cheer.

Haru and Jin glanced at each other with big smirks on their faces.

Let the insanity begin.

Monsta X walked out and the fans started to go wild, the fangirls screeching upon all the chaos of getting squished and hit. The mosh pits instantly formed as the lead singer belted out the beginning lyrics.

Haru decided not long after their second song that they were pretty damn good. She didn't have much time to look up at the actual band since the bar was the busiest it had ever been since the venue opened, but she felt the familiar itch of wanting to be in the crowd; to immerse herself completely in its energy. Maybe if the bar died down in a bit she could.

Haru took a quick glance up at the band as the beer poured into the glass mug she was holding and felt her whole body turn cold.

There was a guy in a black mask and beanie, hands glowing a glittery gold as he played the electric guitar.

"You have got to be ting me," she said aloud, heads at the bar turning to look at her. Haru shook her head, hair in her face to hide the panic she felt bubbling up inside. What kind of sick joke was this? She had convinced herself that what she had seen yesterday was bull, but now she couldn't deny it. Could she see various people's colors now, or was it the same guy?

It had to be. Whether she was in denial or not, his color was so unique it was engraved into her brain.

Just as Haru went to take another quick glance up, Jin yelled in her ear, "Haru, what are you doing?! That's quality beer you're wasting there!" She suddenly felt her fingers slicked with beer, realizing far too late that she had let the beer spill over. "Oh ," Haru cursed as she grabbed a rag to clean up the mess she had made.

"You've always had such a way with words," Namjoon sniggered as he sidled up next to her behind the bar. "How about you finish up that drink and then take the night off? I'll wrap up the night with Jin." Haru glanced at Jin who was nodding enthusiastically, making her give in easily. "Okay..." She said as she turned to redo the beer.

Today was just not Haru's day.

She walked out of the bar area and into the crowd, already staring at the guy with the golden mist around his hands as he played.

"Alright, we're gunna slow it down now. Turn on your phone lights for this one guys," the lead singer with pink hair said to the crowd as the guy with the golden mist grabbed an acoustic guitar.

Why couldn't Haru remember his name?

Golden guy started to play the acoustic guitar and Haru watched the golden mist spread to his elbows. Did that mean playing the acoustic guitar made him extra happy?

Haru moved further toward the front, saying excuse me as she roughly passed through the jam-packed crowd. As she got to the front she could see golden guy more clearly now, his golden mist so bright it was like she was staring at the sun.

"You’re so beautiful, I can’t take my eyes off you. Like a thorn on a flower,
I know I’ll get pricked but I want you." Haru observed how the beautiful mist swished up and down as he played the acoustic guitar. She couldn't for the life of her stop staring. She was completely entranced.

"You’re so pretty, so beautiful it makes me sad," the pink haired singer crooned as golden guy finally looked up to the crowd. Haru couldn't help but scrutinize every little detail about him. His eyes that seemed nothing but invitingly warm and gentle. His black jeans that were ripped all along his thighs, revealing a tattoo she couldn't quite read. His arms that were so muscular, but looked equally soft. "Too beautiful to handle."

"Hey, these guys are pretty good huh?" Haru heard near her and snapped to attention at the couple standing right next to her.

She suddenly felt embarrassed at how she was so openly observing a total stranger. With that train of thought, the panic set in. She felt her ears heat up along with the rest of her face, her heart began racing and felt the clamminess of her hands. Haru didn't need to see somebody else's colors. Didn't she go through enough with her own? Why was this happening to her now?

She felt the anxiety seeping into her skin, the panic yelling at her to leave.

So that's what she did. Haru ran out of that crowd like a bat out of hell.

Haru didn't want to deal with Jungkook or the guy with inviting eyes, who's emotions she could see. She just wanted to go home and cuddle with Butter and possibly cry her eyes out at this new discovery. She didn’t want it.

She could hear Jin and Namjoon calling out to her, but she didn’t want them to see her face; her eyes that were welling up with tears.

Haru ran the whole three miles to her apartment with her phone constantly vibrating in her bag.

But for just one night she would be selfish and shut the world out.
 


"Wonho, the customer at table five is asking for you."

Wonho looked over from behind the kitchen door, curious as to who it was this time. There were very few customers who specifically asked for him these days.

"! It's Eunbi," Wonho said as he dragged his hands down his face. "Just tell her I'm not working today."

"No can do. Plus, how is she gunna believe that when you have to serve the rest of our customers?"

", come on Jaehyun. I know this cafe is a little special, but I can't stand her!" Wonho whisper yelled, feeling every cell in his body already screaming at the thought of being touched by that woman. He could handle the flirting he had to do to get great tips, but customers touching him always left Wonho feeling sick to his stomach.

He needed this job though.

"She always leaves

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter