Metal

1,2...

9 months later…

 

“Yah, Jimin!” I laugh, “You know I can’t catch you!” I shout at my best friend. He stops and turns around to smile at me. 

 

“Fine, only because you have an excuse,” he says, nodding to my black boot casts for my still recovering bones. The jump shattered much of my bones, and doctors were amazed that I was able to walk again. They were almost healed, but I had to take it easy and keep these boots on. I know not to complain because well, I did do this to myself. Jimin runs back to me and gives me back the hat that he stole from my head. “I’m waiting for you to be good as new because once you are, game on!” 

 

I chuckle and fix the hat on my head. We continue to walk to school and I love the fact that I’m smiling. I knew I wouldn’t if it weren’t for Jimin. After I came back to school, at that time in a wheelchair, Jimin just appeared in my life. He wasn’t like the others who looked at me in disgust or pity, he saw me for me. He helped me get around the school and helped me get caught up in all my classes that I had missed three months of. He was my savior, and I was lucky to call him my best friend. 

 

He helped me physically, as well as mentally. After waking up and talking to Tae, I was a mess. I was at war with myself, not knowing what to believe or what to do. I had told Tae to leave because I had no idea what to do or say. He understood, but I let him know that I didn’t hate him, and he seemed relieved by it. We haven’t talked since. The only exchanges were the daily eye contacts that we shared passing through in the hallway. I could never fully read what was in his eyes. Pity? Guilt? I could never tell. It bothered me so much at first but with Jimin here with me,  it faded, and Jimin became my world.

 

Now don’t get me wrong, I love Jimin, but as a brother. I have no desire for any relationship. I didn’t need to be in one, and Jimin was all I needed.

 

He even helped me get through what my parents threw my way. Yes, there was the concern and love for me as their son, but it was hard for them to not show their disappointment in what I had done, for who I was. If it weren’t for Jimin, I’d be all alone.

 

We laugh and goof off until we get to school. We walk to our first period when we get inside, and split off. Before we do, Jimin stops me. “Hey, I’m not going to walk home today, I’m leaving early for a dentist appointment,” he tells me, and I nod. “Don’t walk home by yourself, ride the bus, ok?” He makes me promise, and I do. He worries about me constantly and I don’t want to worry him. He hands me a bus pass to allow me on the bus for that day, and I thank him. With this, we break off and go about our school day.

 

***

 

The final bell rings and I slowly make my way towards the bus area. I look at my ticket and see I ride the bus that goes around my neighborhood, bus 49. I see the bus is already here and waiting and I go as fast as I can to the bus. I clumsily get up the large stairs on the bus and make my way down the aisle, and pick the very last empty seat in the back. No one sits next to me and I lay my head on the window. 

 

The bus leaves and starts the route and I just observe everything that is around. I look at all the different trees and homes as they whiz by. The bus driver certainly liked the pedal on the right.

 

I soon recognize the neighborhood around me and my breath pauses for a moment. The cookie-cutter houses stand one by one, and memories come by fast. I remember coming here for a date with Tae, his family lived here. I remember walking around the neighborhood with him, the cool crisp autumn air on my face, the conversations we had while walking. I blink a few times to make the memory fade and I close my eyes for a moment. I open them a few seconds later when I hear the bus squeal.

 

The bus is unable to stop in time, and I see a familiar car trying to come to a stop as well. The blue Toyota Prius skids as well, and it almost seems like the world goes in slow motion. The sound of crashing metal is deafening, and I can’t breathe. Both vehicles come to a stop and everyone on the bus is panicking. Everyone on the bus is ok but I know it must be a different story for the passenger in the Prius. I shove my way through out of the bus and rush my way to the scrunched up metal that used to be a car on the far side of the road. There is steam coming from the hood, and the man’s eyes are closed. I’m screaming and crying, and feel numb. I’m soon next to the driver’s window and see the man is breathing in short shallow gasps. The scene is messy, he’s crushed in the front seat.

 

“Mr. Kim!” I call to him in a panic. His eyes are drawn closed so tight, deepening the crows feet around his eyes. He slowly opens them to look at me. His eyes shine and I choke on my breath. A single tears wells, and slowly descends down his battered face. I’m trying to choke back tears but it isn’t working. I’m leaned into the car trying to undo his seatbelt, and our tears intermingle.

 

“Mr. Kim, say something, please!” I whisper. He tries to speak but it comes out in stressed unintelligible mumbles. “You’re going to be okay, I promise! Fight for me, for Tae, please!” I beg. I try and open the door but it’s no use, it’s jammed shut. People are rushing towards us, adults, paramedics, and try to pull me away.

 

“NO!” I screech and fight, “NO NO NO!”

 

I can’t breath, the two-letter word continues to be screeched over and over again until its so inhuman, and I can’t even recognize myself anymore. Strong arms keep pulling me back. I can’t see past my tears, everything is so blurry. I’m brought down on a stretcher with an oxygen mask, but I continue to fight. I feel a small prick in my arm and soon everything fades until I can no longer fight, nor keep my eyes open.

 

***

 

My thoughts are jumbled as I burst into the hospital. Could they have not been more clear? The phone call was so rushed, all I know is that there was an accident with a local school bus. My father could be dead for all I know and they can’t tell me a damn thing!?

 

I rush over to my mom who is sitting in the waiting room in tears. “Mom tell me what’s going on, please!” I beg, tears streaming down my face. I sit down next to her and grab her hand.

 

She gives me a big hug and takes a breath. “T-There was a-an accident, y-your father was leaving a-and the bus, it c-couldn’t stop!” She sobs into my chest. My heart breaks, I’ve never seen my mom like this in my life. She can barely speak. I’m about to ask more when a doctor approaches us.

 

“Mrs. Kim?” He addresses, and my mom sits up, wiping her dark mascara stain tears from her face. “Y-Yes?”

 

“I’m afraid I have some terrible news, I need you to come with me.” He says in a serious tone. There’s pity in his eyes and I panic. 

 

“Please, let me come!” I beg. My mother grabs my hand and the doctor nods as we make our way down the hospital hallways, and we stop outside room 204-the room where Jungkook had lain, shattered. I breath hitches and we stop just outside the room.

 

“I’m so sorry for what’s happened. We’ve tried everything, we suggest you say your last goodbyes, he doesn’t have much time left.” He says calmly, and look up at the ceiling to try and prevent his own tears. My mother falls into my arms in hysterics. “NO!” She shrills, and everyone in the hallway stares with sorrow. I can’t feel anything. I support my mom’s weight and try to get her to stand back up.

 

“Come on mama, we have to see him!” I whisper to her. She slowly stands back up and walks with my a couple of steps to open the door. I feel such dèjá vu as I open the door. Instead of Jungkook, I see my father. He’s in bad shape, connected with countless machines and tubes. I see his chest rise and fall every now and then and I bite my lip to try and contain my sadness. I have to be strong, for my mom’s sake.

 

My mom is taken back by the sight of my father as well. I feel such hatred for the room that housed the wounds of the people that I love. I don’t have much time to think about anything else because my father slowly opens his eyes.

 

He smiles the best he can and tries to speak. My mom rushes to his side and holds his hand.

 

“I will be fine,” he finally whispers slowly. My lip is raw and I stand at the end of his bed. He moves his fingers to caress my mom’s hand the best he can. My mom sobs and buries her head in the bed.

 

“Dad…” I whisper, my voice cracking. He looks at me and smiles. 

 

“Hey son, are you ok?” He asks in the same slow tone. Every word takes so much out of him, the end of his sentence barely audible.

 

“You know I’m not, father, you know what the doctors have been saying. They said you’re-“ he interrupts me before I can finish.

 

“I know, but it’s ok. I lived my life, and it was a wonderful one. This is just my time…” I give up and set my tears free. I bury my face in my hands.

 

“Son, I want you to do something for me, promise something…”

 

I look up at him and nod, “Of course dad, anything!” I promise.

 

“Make amends with Jungk-“ he starts but falls silent. His eyes close, and a loud unending beep finishes his sentence. My mom is screaming and shaking my father, staff is rushing into the room. I can’t react. Was he telling me to make amends with Jungkook? Why was that so important to him, it being his last words?

 

My mom and I are pulled out of the room and my mom collapses on the floor in grief, and I stand there unable to speak, to cry, to do anything at all.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N

Ok, this is the beginning of the end! This is part one of two for the final chapter!

Thank you so much to who read, commented, and subscribed!

This started as a one-shot I wrote having a bad day, and so many people read and enjoyed, and I'm flattered

I continued for you guys, and it has become such a great story, and I want to thank you all!

Please continue to read and comment, I enjoy comments so much!

Thank you all again, until next time!

~Rin