Ch 5: Bittersweet Valentine

I Just Wanted To Walk My Dog

I held Kookie’s leash in one hand and palmed a few chocolates in my pocket. Friends can give friends chocolate on Valentine’s Day. It’ll be like when we were in elementary school and gave everyone valentines. It doesn’t mean anything I sternly told myself despite how my heart nervously beat against my ribcage and how a little voice whispered oh yeah? Then why are giving him dark chocolate. A long time ago someone told me that if you want someone to think about you, you should give them bittersweet chocolate. I ignored the voice and kept walking to the dog park. He was at our usual spot pacing back and forth in front of the oak tree. Mochii was following him looking up at him curiously. I couldn’t help smiling to myself. He looked so cute. I wonder what’s got him so worked up though.

“Zelo!” He jumped a little.

“Oh did I scare you?” I teased.

“Of course not, shorty.” I playfully punched his arm.

“Whatever dork.” We chatted for awhile, but I was little distracted today. I had to give him the chocolate at just the right moment as naturally as possible. But I just couldn’t find the right time.He suddenly cleared his throat.

“Ok so um Jenny. I’m going to be in my department’s showcase in two weeks. It would mean a lot to me if you came.”

“That’s great news! Of course I would love to come!”

“Really? I even prepared a bribe for you. Hold out your hand” He pulled out a handful of chocolates wrapped in pink and white foil from his pocket.

“I can’t say no to chocolate. But my pocket is full. Let’s trade.” I placed the chocolates I brought into his hand, brushing his fingers.

On the way home, I unwrapped one of the chocolates and popped it in my mouth. I made a face. Gross. Dark chocolate. But for some reason I didn’t mind it as much this time. The bittersweet flavor lingered on my tongue just like the feeling of his fingers brushing mine.