Chapter 1: It's Never Too Cold To Meet Cute Dogs

I Just Wanted To Walk My Dog

The treetops swayed along with the slight chilly breeze. It’s too cold for this I grumbled to myself as I stopped to tighten my scarf around my neck so it hugged my neck like a noose. Kookie patiently waited for me to pick up his leash again.

When we finally reached the dog park, for some reason Kookie became restless. He kept on violently tugging on his leash. I eventually lost my grip and had to take off running after him. For such a small dog he was surprisingly strong. Maybe he lifted weights when I wasn’t home.

I finally caught up to Kookie who was excitedly barking with a brown Pomeranian near a giant oak tree. After I caught my breath, I noticed the Pomeranian’s owner standing nearby with an amused smile . He was freakishly tall (I mean I’m not even 5 feet tall so). He had to be at least 6 feet tall. He had a face that at first seemed just okay, but the longer I looked at it the cuter it became. His black bangs fell into his eyes and I had to ignore the impulse to brush them away. I wonder what color his eyes are. Crap. I’ve been staring at him like a weirdo.

    “I’m really sorry. I don’t know why he took off like that. He’s usually way more behaved.” I said glaring at Kookie. Kookie ignored me and just kept running around with the Pomeranian. The guy chuckled.

“No worries. Mochii was really excited to meet a new friend, too.”

“Mochii? Is that his name? That’s a really cute name. He kind of looks like a loaf of bread from where I’m standing though.” I said. I realized how rude that sounded and worriedly looked up at him. He let out a surprised laugh.

“Really? I think so, too.” I let out a relieved sigh. What’s wrong with me? I usually think more before I speak. Especially with strangers who were kind of cute.

“By the way my name’s Junhong, but my friends call me Zelo.”

“Jenny and this is Kookie. Zelo, huh? Like the Greek god of envy?” He gave me a surprised look.

“Yeah but he’s also the god of rivalry. It reminds me to always challenge myself to do better because no matter how good I am there will always be someone better. But I’m impressed. He’s a minor god no one really knows.” I shrugged in response.

“What can I say? I am a nerd for stories and myths.”

“Oh? Do you know any good ones? Why don’t you sit with me and tell me one?” He gestured to the white weathered bench behind him.

“I would like that.” We let our dogs run around together and I told him an old Chinese story my mom used to tell me when I was little. I also found out that he was a dance major at a nearby university. It was actually pretty close to my university. We just started talking and talking. Before I knew it, the sun had started to get lower .

“It’s getting late. Me and Kookie have to go.”

“Oh ok. Do you uh think you will come back to you know hang out again?” I pretended to think while I leashed Kookie.

“We’ll have to see.” He looked a little disappointed. How cute.

“I’ll see you later, Junhong.” I started to walk away.

“You can call me Zelo!”, he called after me. I turned around to look at him.

“We’re friends after all.” he said with a smile. He looked even cuter when he smiled.

“Are we?” I asked with a smile as if I were just teasing him. Maybe I didn’t want to be just friends. But it was a start.

 

When I got home, I collapsed on my bed clutching Kookie.

“What the hell was that? I can’t believe I was talking to him normally!” Kookie squirmed in my hands. It had been awhile since someone has caught my eye. I felt energized and decided to actually attempt to make a dent in my homework. I was halfway through solving an indefinite integral when I realized I hadn’t asked for his number. Ugh real smooth Jenny.