Wavering Hearts

Beyond The Border (Sequel to Navillera's Border)

The dark silver haired male had his eyes fixed on the window of the room for a tad too long. Even for someone who worked as the gate keeper should not have the strong gaze in their eyes. It was disturbing actually. Not only to the people around him but also himself. He could feel the warmness within his body as his element flowed through his vein like his second blood. He did not even want to start thinking the stranger part just yet. He did not have the chance to ponder it through while eyeing on the scenario beyond the sight.

 

Minhyuk sighed before his attention tore off for his glance to change its view to his laps. He noticed the prince leading the voyage tended to not stay put in the room and as someone who knew of the other’s character, he let Prince Changsub being his adventurous self by roaming around the island without him. The Seonghwa prince often entered the room to call him for breakfast, lunch and dinner so other than that, he spent his time alone in the room.

 

Finally standing up from his bed, he walked nearer to the window as he grew amused at the fact he was able to be back on his two feet, lightly he might add. The silence he had around him was not the uncommon part of his train of thoughts. It was the restless amount of sleep he had been getting for the last couple of days. His mind went on and off at the most random timing, contemplating whether he should or should he not tell Changsub about the subject which had been bothering him. Yet the long knowing breath escaping his lips was a sign of him still not ready to seriously confront the prince.

 

And the day passed by to make way for another tomorrow. Shaking his fellow friend’s body gently to wake him up for breakfast, Minhyuk slowly but surely lifted his body off the comfort of his cot which he earned a pair of eyes looking at him, feeling genuinely concern of his well-being. “I see you’re getting better every day.” Changsub casually pointed out to start a new conversation for the day. Frankly, any topic was better than worrying at one fact.

 

The prince never thought he would have to stand by the pier that early to bid the three royals: Prince Sungjae as his best friend and the two Haesang to leave the island on their ship. Hyunsik was unsurprisingly quiet with Minhyuk standing on his right side, making him stood in between the two Seonghwa. Since the ship was conveniently by the deck, Changsub could see the three making their last preparation. It would be a lie to say he did nothing to stop them from leaving. They had their way with words and he simply could not fight against them.

 

“Are you sure you know what you’re doing?” The oldest Seonghwa in the group asked when he saw Ilhoon walking back to where they waited. They were not the only ones there though since a number of the local villagers walking by chose to witness the visitors making their leave. Bobbing his head, Ilhoon replied to Minhyuk’s question. “We’ll do just fine. We made it through the storm once. We can go through it again safely.”

 

“I wonder what the Kings and Queen will think about the two of you not tagging along with them.” Hyunsik said suddenly before Changsub turned his head to look at the other seeing that that were the first few words coming out of his mouth that morning. “I’m sure Sungjae and Ilhoon know what to say.” He answered and his eyes landed on Minhyuk’s only to see him nodding approvingly at his statement.

 

“I actually thought of that too.” A female voice joined in the talk, causing the three males to jump in shock. Minhyuk even had his hand on his chest as he tried to calm himself from the jolt. Smiling at them shyly as she plotted behind the Seonghwa prince, it was Changsub who decided to stutter, “What are you doing out of the palace, Chorong?”

 

If the Crown Princess was in the mood to tease his choice of tone of talking to her, she would chuckle but she obviously was not since there was a visible thin line made by her lips on her face. “I’m here to bid them goodbyes too.” Chorong earnestly told before she saw Hyunsik stepped back so he was by her side. “I thought you’re recovering.”

 

“I still am but mother persistently told me to be here because she knows I will regret of not doing so. Anyway, how will you two go back to Navillera without the ship? Didn’t you say flying is not an option?” She turned her head to face the gate keeper. “Well, Changsub says he will figure out a way. Until then we’ll have to stay a bit longer.”

 

By the time the four ended their conversation, Prince Sungjae called for his friend before informing that they were indeed ready to set sail. Changsub was very sure he saw the way Princess Naeun stared at the open sky, noticing the incoming dark grey clouds coming towards them. However, she mentioned nothing about it as she remained preoccupied. Following her gaze, the prince grew wary of the two younger princes’ decision.

 

“The weather doesn’t seem great.” Prince Hyunsik easily spoke as if he managed to read Prince Changsub’s mind. Minhyuk and Chorong also turned their sights only to realise what the fellow said.

 

The looming dark patches on the used to be blue sky triggered nothing but worry to one point the word itself was getting used too often in their dictionary. That was the most applied emotion throughout their stay and the two Seonghwa did not like it. Not even a tiny bit of it. Advancing towards the edge of the deck, Hyunsik’s eyes widened as it glanced downwards where he saw the height of the splashing water underneath before looking up and saw the princess also maintained her eyes on the sea, slightly wavering.

 

‘The ocean is never as hectic before. What is going on?’ The Iseung prince noted questioningly and spun on his heels to walk back to his female friend. “Chorong, you need to head back to the palace. I have a feeling it’s going to rain soon. You should too, Minhyuk.” He told them respectively but eyes still stuck on the uncanny panorama.

 

“Is everything alright?” Changsub asked, instantly noticed the urgent tone applied in Hyunsik’s sentence before continued but his line was short. “They haven’t even-”

 

Naeun looked up to Sungjae who hoisted the anchor from the sea as a roar of thunder filled the sky from kilometres away. Based on the sound, it was coming nearer as they spoke. “I don’t know about this, Ilhoon. Are you sure about this?” She stepped onto the top part of the ship where the mentioned prince already had his hands on the wheel. “Hey, it’s going to be fine. I’m here.” He patted the female’s shoulder, assuring her.

 

The thunder came with a set of drizzle moments later which made the ones on the pier lifted their hands above their brows, creating a barrier so the water would not enter their eyes. Wind picked up its pace. It was only then they saw the ship set off as it stumbled on the wavering sea. The ones on the land were too distracted to pay attention and before they realised of the time, the ship managed to sail further away despite the horrendous weather.

 

It was not safe to stay out in the open and that was the thing filling each and every single one of their minds at the time. Shifting into their butterfly forms would be the last option on the list since the apparently pouring rain on their heads would only push them down. Flying pushed out of the context, they broke into a run instead with Hyunsik leading the way. He managed to turn back to fetch the Crown Princess but a hazy silhouette owned by the female being pulled by the other prince passed by him in an instant. He got anxious for nothing.

 

Trailing behind the three was Minhyuk who appeared to be struggling to bring his legs forward. Water splashed underneath his feet as he ran, attempting to decrease the distance between him and the others. Why the palace ground had to be far away from the deck, he thought. Minutes passed, his legs gave out its last bit of energy. Fortunately for him, he saw someone extending his hand.

 

“Come on Minhyuk. We’re not that far away anymore.” Hyunsik’s voice laced between the gush of rain entered his consciousness and that was the last few words Minhyuk heard before passing out.

 


 

The heat produced by the warm crackling fire reached his ears as soon as his mind regained its consciousness. His body was laid on a long dark gold sofa with a quilt draped softly against his skin. Pushing himself up, Minhyuk’s eyes squinted for a second before he noticed the new surrounding he was in. He thought it was new but it was not for the two princes who were apparently chatting over cup of teas in their hands. They saw him waking up from the corner of their eyes.

 

“Oh, you’re finally awake.” Hyunsik obviously stated as that was the only sentence he could think of that instant. Minhyuk nodded his head twice warily as his eyes automatically scanned the room he was in with them.

 

In front of him was the hearth which burned the woods, providing the necessary temperature while a row of photos were neatly arranged above it. Deciding to let the content passed for a moment, he saw the room had curtains hung highly off the shiny floor before his eyes landed on the princes’ spot and noticed the small potted plants randomly decorating the room. When he was done, his gaze came back on the photographs in keen.

 

One of them was a picture of the King and Queen of Iseung along with their daughter, smiling brightly. Assuming that was taken in the past about a decade ago, he glanced further to the right, his eyes slightly widened at another where it might seemed similar upon first look but there was a boy blending in with the three figures. Minhyuk got up from the sofa before he neared himself to the fireplace to look at the last picture up close, not aware of the one he had been staring was beside him, just older compared to the one in the picture.

 

“Is that you? I never actually bothered looking before.” Changsub asked Hyunsik who fondly stared at it before taking it in his hand. “Yes, it is me. This is the day when they adopted me.” He told easily and was surely shocked the two Seonghwa.

 

“You were adopted? What happened to your parents?” Minhyuk bobbed his head as Changsub did most of the talk, not wanting to break the conversation they appeared to be sharing previously. “I don’t know. They’re just gone. They used to be servants here in the palace so I literally grew up in here. That explain how I’m close with Chorong. She’s unlike the other princess who looked down on me.”

 

“So you got the title like that huh.” The oldest among the three finally spoke, almost sounded like a whisper if it was not because of the total silence occupying the room. “You can say it that way. Anyway, forget about me,” Hyunsik said as he placed the picture back on the hearth before looking at Minhyuk. “How about you? Are you feeling any better? We can accompany you here if you want for the night. You need all the warmth after the heavy rain.”

 

“That’s alright. I can manage without the warmness. It doesn’t really make any difference actually.” He admitted casually with a shrug yet Changsub seemed to have doubt. “It’s not like you have the choice. You can leave if you want, Hyunsik.” The Seonghwa prince assured and patted the other on his arm. Lightly chuckled at the statement, Hyunsik turned to make his leave as he wanted to get enough rest for tomorrow.

 

“Changsub, the fire is dying by the way.” Minhyuk informed while pointing at the small fire casted. “I’ll get the wood. Hold it for a while for me.” Prince Changsub instructed before walking away to the stack of wooden piled neatly by the fireplace.

 

The gate keeper held his hand out, controlling the blaze and smiled upon realising something. It had been so long since the last time he actually used his element. Being able to control was nothing compared to conjure one but it was better than nothing. His eyes followed Changsub’s movement as he selected the appropriate size logs to heat them through the night. By the time he arrived at the fireplace again, his brows furrowed, forming creases on his forehead.

 

“Minhyuk, you’re supposed to keep the fire going. Not putting them out.” He said without looking at the fellow and only then Minhyuk lowered his hand to look at the hearth which was supposed to have fire burning on the woods. Staring at his palms in puzzlement, the dark silver haired male thought he still had his full focus on the red element. Maybe he put his focus a bit more on Changsub to his liking.

 

“Sorry,” He apologised meekly before sitting on the sofa at once and tucked the quilt around his body tighter. “I was distracted for a while, I guess.”

 

Changsub shook his head while holding the small piece of wood in his hand before lighting it up with fire on his palm. He then threw the burned wood into the pile he stacked underneath the hearth and the warmth immediately radiated the room at once. Making his way to Minhyuk, he sat with his torso leaned forward as his arms acted as support.

 

The stillness they shared was the same as any day they encountered during their stay on the foreign island and the prince was troubled about it simply because the gate keeper did not act the same way as he would back in Navillera. Breaking the silence, Minhyuk glanced at Changsub’s profile as he spoke.

 

“If the weather is fine tomorrow, we’ll head down to the village centre and do some exploring. It’s been days since we went out.”

 

“The last time we head out, the Crown Princess fainted because of power drainage and I became too sick to leave the room.”

 

Changsub sighed knowingly as his fingers went through his dark brown hair. It was getting long and he somewhat regretting for not cutting them before heading out of their home island. He looked up and their eyes connected.

 

“Don’t you think it’s strange for you to suddenly be sick on a foreign land? You never appear that weak before, Minhyuk.” The prince said and after listening to that line, Minhyuk looked away and fixed his sight on the fire. “This might be just coincidence. It’s not the first I got sick.”

 

“No, Minhyuk. This is not just any coincidence.” Changsub spurted before his eyes widened since he was not supposed to say whatever in his mind aloud. Nonetheless, he turned back to his neutral expression and continued, “Let’s just sleep.” He said before heading over to a reclined chair and immediately closed his eyes as he did not want to answer Minhyuk’s bewildered look.

Author's note:

Annyeong Melodies~ Please do check out my sister's BTOB oneshot collection. I'm the beta reader just so you know.