Stranger Than Fiction

Beyond The Border (Sequel to Navillera's Border)

Morning came once the curtain draped around the room the two Seonghwa slept in opened by the Iseung prince. He walked towards Changsub first, patting the fellow prince lightly on his side before gesturing him to wake up the other. Honestly, Hyunsik did not expect them to really sleep in the common room located in the Park’s quarter but when he saw them groggily lifting their bodies up simultaneously, he merely smiled. In some way, he already grew comfortable with their personalities.

 

“We will head out to the village centre to see the final preparation for the Moonlight Dance Festival. Usually it’s Chorong’s work but she is still enclosed herself in her bedroom.” Prince Hyunsik informed them once the two finished washing up for the day and walked down to the dining hall. They stood in front of the door almost instantly which was surprising how aimless talks could take them off.

 

Stepping into the hall, Changsub noticed Hyunsik halted in the middle of the path for them to take their seats at the table. The fellow prince’s eyes appeared to land itself on a figure. He followed the glance after seeing him smiling and soon he too unexpectedly copied the expression.

 

“It feels like ages since the last time I see you. How are you? Feeling any better?” The light silver haired prince advanced to the apparently chirpy looking Crown Princess of the land. Claiming the chair by her side, Chorong too put on a bright smile as her attention turned to the male occupying the seat across her before returning back to Hyunsik’s. “I feel so light on my feet after waking up today. It’s like the tiredness flowed out along with the rain.” She snapped her fingers.

 

“Good to see you’re healthy, Crown Princess Chorong.” The Seonghwa prince spoke, finally able to conjure a few genuine words. “Other might already go down with a cold or anything related with that.” He added and saw Minhyuk nodded his head from the corner of his eyes.

 

“Are you going to follow us to the village centre today? I’m supposed to replace you for the reviewing part of the event.” Hyunsik wanted to start off but a few seconds passed, he realised there were only the four of them in the room. “Where are mother and father?”

 

“They have an early meeting with the royal advisors, I think. I walked into the hall by the time they left. It seemed urgent.” She replied his question and continued, “My guess it’s none of our concern. Let’s just be ready to head out.”

 

It was about an hour flew by on the island when the four figures fluttered their way to the village centre and gently landed on the brick foundation in their human forms. The familiar vibe radiated by the local villagers passing by brought a hint of nostalgia in Minhyuk’s heart. He figured it was because it was almost a month of their day on the foreign island with no real mission. He was there to follow Changsub and not for any other reason. Maybe the occasional boredom of being the gate keeper but that was it.

 

The Iseung’s village centre was beautifully decorated with colourful lanterns which the two Seonghwa assumed will be lit at night to light up the main centre square of the area. Market stands were neatly aligned by the sides in the same green and brown roofs yet the paper streamers hung around were one of the elements that differs one stall to another. The corner of the Seonghwa prince’s lips curved upwards as he thought it might be interesting to deliver the idea back in Navillera.

 

That is if he could figure out how to return back besides flying.

 

Changsub was not able to think of any other way to head back to Navillera Isle once he was done with whatever he must do in the current island he was on. Building another ship would consume unnecessary number of time and material. The Iseung could lend their power of plant controlling but he did not want to use them in any circumstance. Lightly brushing the thoughts away, his mind was back in reality when he heard the Crown Princess’ conversation with the village head.

 

“Are you planning to attend this season’s festival with Prince Hyunsik again?” He, Kim Junmyeon, asked as they visited a market stall selling bouquet of flowers. Changsub’s brows furrowed disturbingly at the idea of the Crown Princess going to the Moonlight Dance Festival with her friend. Hyunsik did say he preferred not to be at the event with her again and he was her younger brother even though he was adopted into the family.

 

“Hyunsik doesn’t want to go with me again this year. So I don’t know. Maybe I’ll drag Prince Changsub instead. Are you up for it?” Chorong suddenly said as she turned to look at her back where Changsub froze on his spot. He did not expect the invitation. Not even the slightest so there he was staring back at her, eyes widening as the seconds ticked by. She chuckled at his respond as she asked permission from Junmyeon to leave the stand which he bowed in agreement before walking off.

 

“Hey, are you still at the village centre?” The Iseung Crown Princess called out and nudged his side playfully with intention to catch his attention. A tint of light pink that almost resembled her fellow palace servant friend’s hair colour crept on the prince’s cheeks before he looked elsewhere and pursed his lips. Stuttering, he asked a question instead of answering to the rhetorical question. “Where are Hyunsik and Minhyuk anyway?”

 

Right on the opposite of the stall the two stood at, Hyunsik thought it would be better for Chorong and him to divide the work in evaluating the marketplace where most of the goods sold and buffet would be set up. Also he knew it would be a good opportunity for Changsub to be with the Crown Princess. He was observant to notice the aura floating around them whenever they constantly met over eating sessions. Either that or their so-called subtle glances were a bit too obvious.

 

“What is this?” Minhyuk showed him a wooden carving with symbols on them. Looking at the object in the older’s hand, Hyunsik took it to see it up close before explaining in a simple manner. “It’s a carving of the Iseung’s element.”

 

The prince pointed his index finger on the shape of trees, teak trees – the trees which populated most of the exterior of the palace and village area. They were the main symbol of their element merely due to that one fact. Surrounding the carving of the tree was cracked grounds to picture the second controlling element. The ones who had the ability to control the land were not as many as the ones who could control plants, interestingly.

 

“If only our symbols can be combine in such design.” Minhyuk mentioned before a sigh escaped between his lips. Snapping his gaze up to meet his eyes, Hyunsik placed the wooden object back on the stand and bowed slightly before turning his body to move to another place. “Why did you say that?”

 

“I just never thought the Seonghwa and Haesang can be together just like how Iseung is a one community. We live in two different parts with element the total opposite, fire and water. However, I hold deep respect on our Crown Prince. He’s young and same as his betrothed. They are very determined to make the island to stand as Navillera, not just Seonghwa and Haesang.”

 

Hyunsik continued to stare at the fellow keenly and stopped at the last stall and beyond that was the dense forest to unknown. “Being different with one another should not be a hindrance in making an understanding community. I knew a bit of your people’s history while talking to Changsub. He said there’s no one with dual element just like Chorong on your land.”

 

“If the future rulers of Navillera tie the knot, their child can be a combination of both.” The dark silver haired male shrugged easily and turned to see the forest on his left while Hyunsik talked with the market stall owner.

 

Recalling the day Chorong lose control of her elements, Minhyuk’s brain decided to take on a quick trip on train of thoughts. He remembered how strangely weak he felt during the incident and the following days. When the Crown Princess said she felt great during breakfast today, he seemed to be able to relate with her condition because he too felt light on his feet. They had been going from one stand to another for the past half an hour and the tiredness that usually took his body was not present.

 

Another thought later rode on the same train, the thought of him holding onto a tree branch which followed by a scream after that. He saw smoke in between his grasp, briefly since it immediately disappeared after he let it go. He brought his hand to his view in wonder and he realised something. He was very sure the power surged from his hand at that time was hot but there was no fire. Impossible, he pondered. He wanted to think of last night’s episode where the fire in the hearth gone out under his control. That was even stranger.

 

“Hey,” Minhyuk jolted in shock as his eyes closed instantly in respond. The older felt a hand on his shoulder, patting him slightly to calm down. He should have got use with surprises by being a gate keeper for most of his life. “We’re done here for the day. Let’s meet up with Chorong and Changsub. They might be waiting for us.” Hyunsik stated and put up an assuring smile.

 

“What should we do now? It’s nearly lunch time too. I don’t feel like heading back to the palace though.” Chorong did the honour of questioning once the four of them gathering at the centre square. “Honestly, me too.” Her friend replied before glancing at the two male figures. He did not know about the two but he was sure judging on their expressions, they had the same in mind.

 

“How about doing something fun?” Changsub purposed out of the blue which made three pair of eyes fixed on his face simultaneously. Merely smiling, Minhyuk had a slight idea of his plan already. “Let me guess, you’re seeking for a random adventure? Is being on a foreign land not enough for you?” He spoke questioningly.

 

“That sounds interesting to me.” And their attention changed to the only female in the group who shook her shoulders when Hyunsik asked, “Are you sure? Where?”

 

“There.” The adventurous prince of Seonghwa told as his hand pointed to his right side where metres away were the forest they once entered but not deep enough for his liking. Eyes widened at his choice were both of the silver headed males and for two distinct reasons.

 

Shock and afraid – try guessing who is who.

 

Once they filled their stomach, thanks to Junmyeon kindness in showing them a small eatery within the village area, the four of them advanced forward to the forest in pairs: Hyunsik and Chorong, Changsub and Minhyuk in front of them.

 

They shared no verbal conversations along the way as they were immersed with the full grown trees surrounding them in clusters. Chorong remembered being there vaguely and suddenly felt embarrassed by the scenario played days ago. Hyunsik’s eyes found the branches of trees lowering above them as they continuously walked deeper into the forest before looking the back of Changsub’s head.

 

“What do you usually do when you do this kind of thing?” He asked in wonder which made the fellow prince turned his body to fully face the Iseung prince and princess. “I just walk because good things usually come by chance. I never focused on finding something whenever I walk around the palace back in Seonghwa. If I did, I would not have the thought of going out for a voyage and meet you two” Changsub replied as if it was scripted beforehand and his words amused the Crown Princess before turning back to his front mainly because walking backwards was uncomfortable.

 

After what it felt like hours of wandering on the carved path underneath them, Prince Changsub lifted his right hand all of the sudden which made the other three stopped. “What’s wrong?” Minhyuk asked, glancing at the younger fellow in puzzlement. “Do any of you hear that?” The prince replied with another question as his eyes scanned the perimeter of their current spot.

 

Only after Changsub mentioned it they listened keenly to their surroundings. Ears perked in wonder, it was Chorong who giddily clapped and pointed out. She heard a soft sound of water flowing on their right side so she turned to follow her instinct and stepped ahead of the three males.

 

“Chorong, wait for us!” Hyunsik voiced with a chuckle after seeing the Crown Princess broke into a run to a direction. Nonetheless, the other silver haired male was not amused at the royals’ actions. Instead he stayed put until Changsub pulled him by the arm.

 

A long stream of shallow river greeted their sight once they made it through the dense cluster of trees. It sparkled under the strays of lights passing the canopy high above them. The splashing of waters, accompanied by the musty smell of the forest was so refreshing that made the two Iseung royals think why had they not discover the place?

 

“This place is so beautiful.” Chorong spoke in fascination before she crouched, a couple of metres away from the waters. Planting her palm on ground, it vibrated a bit as it cracked open and revealed a tree stump for her to sit. Hyunsik found himself stood by her side as always while Minhyuk sat on the edge of the river, staring at the crystal clear water streaming down.

 

Meanwhile, the Seonghwa prince locked his eyes somewhere beyond the river, somewhere up higher than the ground they were on. Every river had its water source. That was what he concluded. He wanted to look for it as it was a part of his nature to check out the curious little things playing in his mind. Nevertheless, his focus was torn when he heard a rather loud winced from his behind.

 

Turning to look, he saw Minhyuk flapping his hand before cradling it with the other hand. “What happened? Did a fish bit you or something?” Changsub plotted by him to be on the same eye level. “No. The water suddenly got so hot. It shocked me.”

 

“Minhyuk, you have the ability to conjure fire. Shouldn’t you get used to it?” It was Hyunsik who joined in the conversation while Chorong tagged along with the same bewildered expression. “I don’t think you understand. Yes, I can conjure fire but I was shock because for a while I felt the water cold and out of the blue, it turned warmer than normal.”

 

Changsub’s eyes squinted doubly at the new found fact. He decided to check the phenomenon himself by dipping his hand into the exact same liquid only to feel the water cold as any natural flowing river would. The Iseung prince and Crown Princess also sensed the same temperature so the oldest fellow among them opted to do the same and a frown came on his lips.

 

“I think it’s just on your head, Minhyuk. Come on let’s head back to the palace before it gets dark here.” Hyunsik suggested after noticing the beams of sunlight were growing dimmer. Making their leave one by one, Changsub gently patted the Seonghwa gate keeper on the back before joining the two Iseung royals.

 

Minhyuk’s body delayed for a moment as he stared on the water. Taking out his hand out of the river finally, he waved his hands a couple of times to get the water off his hand but he saw something uncanny.

 

Something he never thought would ever happened in his life.