First And Last

Beyond The Border (Sequel to Navillera's Border)

Opening the door of the throne room was Crown Prince Jimin with Crown Princess Jiyeon, entering the room before stopping in front of the King and Queen of Seonghwa and bowed in respect. After the door to the room was closed, Jimin’s father stood up from his seat and walked down from his throne with a warm smile plastered on his face. He gestured for the two to stand up properly at once, telling them his intention of calling them to the room in the first place.

 

“As promised by two parts of the island, a month was given for you two to show that your plan of combining the two set of monarch into one will go well.” He began as he placed his hands behind his back, the smile did not waver upon saying them.

 

Nervous was the perfect word in both Jimin and Jiyeon’s mind. Instinctively took her hand into his, he gave it a light squeeze which translated into the fact he was willing to fight if his own parents are not going to approve of the plan.

 

The Crown Princess of Haesang worked hard to get use with the Seonghwa princesses, learning bits and pieces with the help of Taehyung if he had the free time from his duties. She also handled the Seonghwa villagers’ troubles well although fire was not her element of control but Jimin reminded her to be neutral and it proven to show results.

 

The Crown Prince of Seonghwa though, picked up his old hobby with his father and invited the King of Haesang, his future father-in-law for a hunting trip but instead of aiming for a huge catch, they only went for the smaller animals to his highness surprised. Walking up to the stable with Hayan, he was often greeted by Jiyeon who apparently took an extra lesson from Baekhyun on horse riding.

 

All in all, Seonghwa and Haesang seemingly returned back to their former glory from way back when everyone lived as one community instead of two.

 

“The coronation day will be held in two months from now.” The King informed which made their heads snapped up from the shiny floor to look at him simultaneously. “Wait, coronation day?” Jimin asked, completely puzzled upon gaining the information. Giggling at his confused expression, Jiyeon politely bowed at the King and Queen before seek a permission for them to leave the throne room.

 

Waiting for them outside was Taehyung with a bright smile, brighter than fire that he could conjure out of his hands. “So, can we stay?” He giddily questioned straight ahead instead of beating around the bush.

 

“The plan works and yes, we’re here to stay.” His step sister answered since his best friend was deep in thought to do so. When the same age prince heard the reply, he immediately clapped in joy before shifting into his silvery purple pair of wings and headed down the hallway to deliver the news, perhaps to Sujeong.

 

“Jimin?” Jiyeon waved her hand in front of his eyes to gain his attention and it indeed worked but he was still quiet. “What are you thinking about?”

 

“Many many many things.” He stated dramatically and added on, “We will be the King and Queen of Navillera, Jiyeon. The first ruler of Navillera, not just Seonghwa or Haesang.” Glancing down to their locked hands, Jimin finally smiled.

 

“I can’t wait for the day you’ll be my Queen, Kim Jiyeon.” The Crown Princess blushed at the smooth line came from the Crown Prince and seeing that the tint of pink also crept on his cheeks, he too was embarrassed. “Umm… I need to go and meet with Baekhyun for the lesson.” She said as she tried to walk away only to strain back since someone was not fond of the idea.

 

“You know what will be a better idea? I teach you horse riding instead. No one can hang out with the future Queen of Navillera without my watch.” Jimin uttered and gently pulled her to the direction leading to the stable. “Why are you being protective all of the sudden?”

 

“I’m not. It’s just my excuse to be with you since I have a free time now. Besides, I know I can teach you better than that stable fellow.”

 

“Hey, Baekhyun is not that bad.”

 

“Sure, Jiyeon, sure.”

 


 

Sipping the warm cup of tea in the garden full of colourful flowers and green trees surrounding him, Prince Changsub’s lips curved a genuine smile when he saw the dark silver haired fellow made an attempt to conjure particles of clear water out of his bare hands. By his side was the Iseung prince with the lighter shade of silver, talking to the other. Perhaps he was helping on grasping the new found power possessed within their systems.

 

A bubble of water exploded in front of their sights, earning a couple of cheery laughter upon failing a simple control. Changsub saw the way Minhyuk would purposely sprayed twinkles of water on Hyunsik’s face occasionally as the prince wrapped a vine on his leg, causing him to face plant on the ground. With all means, he wanted to join in the fun as well but with fire as an element, he knew only bad would come out than good if he was to be a part of the two.

 

Time wise, the chilly breeze autumn already made its way over on the nameless island. For that span of time, it was rather uneventful. There was not much happening around the Iseung palace and village areas. Many acknowledge about the Crown Princess mysterious disappearance during the Moonlight Dance Festival which she loved and adore so much. However, there were only a number knew the truth and existence of the so-called prophecy Hyunsik opted to study in his pastime.

 

He had to include that secret he kept with Chorong while they conversed about his expedition to the mountain with Changsub and Minhyuk. To his surprise, the King and Queen knew the day would come. In contrary to Hyunsik’s assumption, they indeed knew about the ancient writing and it was a discussion the royals had since the day the Navillera arrived in their land months ago. Also unlike him, they knew of his real background.

 

Changsub unconsciously remembered the talk he had with Hyunsik from a week ago at the same location. The three of them grew closer fast in anyone’s point of view. Even Kyungsoo could detect the chemistry his friend had bonded with these voyagers. He purposely mentioned the only female who left with the other two princes. Only then the Iseung prince had pictured the last look she had before setting off.

 

Hyunsik had a lot to cope and catch on after facing the King and Queen who he claimed to be his guardian since young. It was difficult for him to see them as a parent-figure especially when they shared two very distinct surnames. Unveiling his past, he could only look far beyond the window of the room.

 

Of course he knew his parents passed unknowingly but as if his mind deleted some part of his brain, he could recite his parents’ element only after years of growing up. He was taken into the royal family since he was little and just like Chorong, his fellow guardian chose to train him using only one element instead of two. As it passed by, he thought he only had one element all along without knowing he could beat Kyungsoo during their friendly sparring sessions.

 

The prince took the information well but getting used to the fact he possessed dual element, the Crown Princess was more than happy to help him to bring out the new element out. In all of those small training sessions, Hyunsik never forgot to drag the two Seonghwa out of their room too to join in the fun, just like that day.

 

“Hey, what the-” Changsub yelped in surprise when he felt coldness attacking him directly from the front, spilling the tea off his hand before crashed on the ground. Someone needs to clean that up and he would not be the one to do it. Looking up, Changsub glared over at the two’s direction who were busy laughing away.

 

“Let’s see who will have the last laugh.” He said, lifting his right hand up before a small ball of fire conjured on his palm and a smirk came on his face. “Oh no, I’m so scared.” Minhyuk jokingly voiced and ran ahead. He followed Hyunsik who already left the scene, afraid that Changsub might actually lid his precious hair up on flame.

 

For princes and gate keeper, they sure were childish in their own way judging on how they played with their elements at the garden. Fortunately, Minhyuk somewhat mastered the basics of the water element which he used against Changsub while Hyunsik preferred to use his ability to control the plants to trample the Seonghwa prince.

 

“That’s not fair! You two are going against one person, four elements against one element.” A very familiar female voiced owned by the Crown Princess entered their ears at once. Being the nearest to her, Changsub turned his head back and saw Chorong good-naturedly held her hand out to help him stand on his feet again.

 

“My guess your princess lessons ended for the day?” Changsub questioned as he patted his back and felt her brushing his shoulders which he stiffened at once. “Yeah, I did and it was boring as usual.” Chorong replied with a bright smile but pursed her lips when he eyes on the silver haired males.

 

“Minhyuk, that’s our cue to leave.” Hyunsik whispered while leaning slightly so the other would hear him speaking. Nodding his head approvingly, both of them quickly broke into a run, passing the prince and Crown Princess swifter than any blowing wind surrounding them. Scoffing, Chorong put her hand up front, the ground shook out of the blue and followed after was a set of scream.

 

“Oh my goodness,” Changsub spoke before jogging towards the opened ground where Hyunsik and Minhyuk had fallen into. “Are you guys alright?” He asked when he witnessed the two males rubbing their bottoms from the fall. Seeing that their head barely at the same level as the ground, he assumed the princess only opened the ground two metres deep.

 

“We’re alright. Just surprised.” Minhyuk admitted and there was a visible crease forming on his forehead as he winced in pain. Same condition was applied for Hyunsik. “How do we get out of here then?” The gate keeper questioned before he saw how the trapped prince shook his head and shifted into his butterfly form.

 

Once Chorong taught Hyunsik how to close the ground, they made their way into the palace building and walked down to the dining area for dinner. The scene in the room was light and the two Seonghwa easily felt as if they were back at home with their family. Speaking of family, the King surprised the two of them with news worth celebrating.

 

While they were busy playing and staying within the quarter, he had instructed a group of villagers to build a ship, big enough for the two of them to return back to Navillera. Minhyuk immediately jumped from his seat just so he could bow and shook the King’s hand. He was very grateful by the action to speak out his thank you.

 

As for Changsub, his eyes fixed on the food on his plate as if it was the most interesting thing to see at the moment. Sitting on his opposite as usual was the Crown Princess, eyeing on him in worry. His hands stopped moving when he heard the news. He was supposed to be happy since it was always in his mind – of ways to leave the island and head back to their homeland. Nonetheless, there was also a foreign feeling lingered in his border of consciousness.

 

Walking back to his bedroom, hours after dinner ended, Changsub caught a glimpse of dirty blonde lock at the garden with her hands wrapped around her body to warm up. Stepping into the area slowly, he carefully stood by her side not wanting to gain unnecessary attention from any palace servants. It was a habit he picked up while being in the Iseung palace.

 

“What are you doing out here? It’s cold.” He asked softly before copying her action. Glancing at her, he found lights on the palace walls were lit dimly as her eyes gazing far beyond the starry night sky above them. “I like staying out here to think.” She replied in the same whispery tone.

 

“Chorong.”

“Changsub.”

 

They called at the same time before their eyes met and turned to look the other way in embarrassment. Ruffling his hair slightly, he gestured the princess to speak first.

 

“So you will leave tomorrow?” She took the initiative to glance at his face first and saw him nodding his head slowly before sighing. “Honestly, I don’t want to leave. I feel like as if there is an unfinished task I have yet to fulfil.” He confessed and fixed his eyes on hers after seconds of thought.

 

“Well, I can’t say I can help you with that.” Chorong smiled as she tried to read Changsub’s mind through his eyes. One thing she could tell, there was a hindrance to his plan. “You’re not supposed to say that.” He finally spoke.

 

“Why?” Her eyes widened slightly at the statement coming from him. He made no verbal reply but when his eyes tore from hers to look upwards, her smile grew wider when she saw a crescent moon hung on the sky.  A wash of memory came to her mind instantly. Frankly, she asked him out of playfulness bubbling in her heart. There was a hint of hope but he never accepted nor declined her invitation to dance with her during the Moonlight Dance Festival.

 

Prince Changsub held out his right hand within her sight which dragged her back to reality. Confused, Crown Princess Chorong took his hand before she imitated his steps towards the centre of the garden. In the background, there were a soft gush of wind blowing, crickets singing through the night and that made her questioned.

 

“There’s no music.” She told him which he apparently found amusing as he lightly chuckled upon hearing it. Shaking his head, he placed his left hand on her waist while the other clasping her hand. She was surprised by the surge of braveness coming from the male so she had no choice but to place her freehand on his shoulder.

 

Taking the first step, the two of them started to dance accompanied by the sound of nature as their music and also using the beat of their hearts as guidance. He was not a dancer. She could see that based on the subtle movement as he led the moves. Nevertheless, he made an amazing effort to twirl and got her back to him easily as if he had done it before in his life.

 

“Let’s meet again soon, promise me that.” Changsub voiced in the midst of the impromptu dance and the bob of the head was all he needed before he suddenly felt a tug. She gently pulled him nearer as she wrapped her hands around his neck before sharing a lovely silent atmosphere.