TWO - Missing

The Dog Lover Next Door

TWO – Missing Son and Dog

For the first half of that day, Baekhyun finished cleaning and arranging everything in their new home. The beds had already arrived and Baekhyun was quite proud with the job he has finished. Everything is all set, their new life at their new perfect home is about to begin.

            Taehyung was outside, exploring the subdivision. It was already a quarter before noon and Baekhyun figured that he should start preparing lunch, since Taehyung will be coming home soon with a growling stomach. That’s when he remembered that their fridge is totally void of food. They had survived breakfast because of the cereals and milk Baekhyun had packed, but now, it seems like they’ll have to survive another meal with only a mix of chicken soup and bread for lunch.

            Baekhyun sighed and started to boil water for the soup mix. He noted to himself to go grocery shopping as soon as lunch was finished. They did a lot of work and Taehyung hasn’t had a decent meal yet. Besides, he needs to whip up quite a feast if he was planning to break the bad news to Taehyung, the fact that they really can’t afford a dog for now.

            “Dad!” Taehyung greeted as he barged in through the back door, surprising Baekhyun for a moment. “I have great news!”

            Baekhyun smiled back at his son as he poured the soup mix and started stirring it. “Really? What’s that?”

            “I met lots of really cool kids! I made lots of friends!” Taehyung proudly said as he settled in one of the seats by the kitchen counter.

            “I’m glad to hear that.” Baekhyun said as he took out two bowls and spoons and began pouring some soup for both of them. As he was preparing their measly lunch, Taehyung launched into a lot of stories about his new friends, Jin, Jimin and Suga were cousins and the two ‘weird kids’ who preferred to be called ‘Rap Monster’ and ‘J-hope’ were stepbrothers according to Taehyung.

            “And the best part is, we’re all going to the same school! This is going to be so awesome!” Taehyung exclaimed.

            “So, I take it that you really like it here in our new home?”

            “Yep!”

            Baekhyun laughed and carried the two bowls over to the kitchen counter and set them down, giving his son a sheepish grin, “And so, it’s all right if we can only have chicken soup for lunch?”

            Taehyung beamed up at his father and shrugged. “I can manage. Besides, we also have bread!” he said and reached over one of the shelves taking out a loaf of bread.

            Baekhyun grinned and nodded, sitting down. “Bon appetite!”

            Father and son started eating their lunch with Taehyung’s stories serving as background music. “I really like it here, Dad!” he concluded as he finished his soup and two slices of bread. “Life is perfect, I have so many new friends, I’m getting a dog soon and as I made my way home, I noticed something!”

            Baekhyun can’t help but flinch at the mention of the dog, but since he was a coward he decided to distract his son with the other statement he had mentioned, “Oh, yeah? What did you notice?”

            “I found a fort.” Taehyung solemnly stated. “It is hidden way back Mr. Park’s yard and covered by a bunch of bush. It’s real neat inside there, though. I would like to invite the boys over, but I don’t think Mr. Park will like that because the word on the street is he doesn’t like kids very much. But that won’t stop me from using the fort as my own personal lair! I think I’ve got the right since it’s partly located in our yard anyway.”

            Baekhyun was about to say something when the doorbell chimed.

            “Our first visitor, Dad!” Taehyung said standing up. “I bet it’s one of my friends with their parents coming over to meet you.”

            Baekhyun was smiling as he and Taehyung went to open the front door. Taehyung was right. Standing on their front porch was a man with a warm smile and beside him was a boy, almost Taehyung’s age.

            “Hi.” The man greeted, extending his hand for a shake which Baekhyun quickly took. “Sorry for intruding without notice, I wanted to introduce myself. I’m Kim Suho, chairman of the subdivision and this is my son, Jungkook. We actually live next door and we like to welcome you to the neighborhood.”

            Baekhyun warmly introduced himself and his son as well and invited the pair inside of their home. Suho had the perfect ‘fatherly’ air in Baekhyun’s opinion and he immediately felt comfort and welcome with the man’s presence. He was very handsome and nice as well and Baekhyun hoped they would be great friends. Suho’s warm reception was a pleasant change from his meeting with his other neighbor, Park Chanyeol.

            “Would you like some coffee?” Baekhyun asked as he lead Suho towards the sofa.

            “If it’s not any trouble, I would love a cup.” Suho smiled as he sat down.

            “It’s my pleasure, don’t worry. Would you like some mango juice, Jungkook?” Baekhyun asked and the boy nodded silently in response. Baekhyun smiled and excused himself to the kitchen to make some coffee and juice.

            “I haven’t met you before, Jungkook, but I hope we can be friends!” Taehyung said as he stood in front of the shy and silent boy, wearing his brightest smile. “Do you want to go out and play with me at our back yard?”

            Jungkook looked up at Taehyung with wide eyes and turned to his father for permission. Suho nodded with a smile and without waiting for Jungkook’s verbal consent, Taehyung took his hand and lead him out of the house passing his father at the kitchen.

Baekhyun smiled and shook his head and opted to leave the juice at the counter for when Jungkook returns and hopefully survives Taehyung’s hyper self. He grabbed the two ceramic cups filled with hot instant coffee and made his way back to the living room. He placed one of the mugs in front of Suho and sat down at the couch opposite his neighbor.

            “I’m sorry about Taehyung.” Baekhyun sheepishly said, “He loves socializing with people and making new friends.”

            “No worries. I actually hope he can instill that attitude to my son, Jungkook is too shy around kids his age.” Suho said as he took a sip of the coffee.

            “I gurantee you that Taehyung will transform your son into a socialite soon enough.” Baekhyun laughed and Suho joined him, hoping the same.

            They drank their coffee silently for a few moment before Baekhyun commented, “I thought it would take days before I get to know my neighbors but I’ve already met two in my first day.”

            “Someone else has already been over?”

            “Park Chanyeol introduced himself this morning,” Baekhyun explained, biting his lip as the memories of the early encounter came rushing in.

            “Park Chanyeol introduced himself?” Suho repeated, sounding shocked.

            Baekhyun rubbed his neck and shrugged. “To be honest, I bumped into him and he simply felt obligated to introduce himself. I think he would’ve preferred to avoid me but his dog wanted to make friends with Taehyung.”

            “That big white Labrador wanted to make friends with Taehyung?” Suho once again repeated, too shock to formulate other words.

            Baekhyun tilted his head to the side. “Yeah. Is there something strange about that?”

            “Frankly, yes. To say that Mr. Park keeps to himself is an understatement. I don’t think he’s said more than a handful of words to me in the entire two years since my family moved here.” Suho started to explain. “He’s all alone in that huge house I guess that explains his anti-social behavior…”

            Baekhyun had dealt with unfriendly men before, but something about Park Chanyeol struck him hard and deep and he wasn’t sure what it was or why the man evoked such a strong feeling within Baekhyun. “Doesn’t he have any family to live with him?”

            Suho pursed his lips and sighed, “I heard he was married once, but he was divorced long before I came here. His extended family lives on the countryside and I think one of the reasons he can’t leave this place is because of his job. He is the best lawyer this city has.”

            “That’s just lonely…” Baekhyun can’t help but mutter and Suho nodded in agreement.

            “We would love to make him feel like he is part of the neighborhood family, but he really... he prefers his privacy, I guess. Well, he and his dog are inseparable though so I guess he is contented enough with that.” Suho said. There were a few moments of silence before the buzzing of Suho’s phone broke it. “Oh, right! Jungkook has a dentist appointment by 1:00 we have to go now. I’m sorry for the hasty exit Baekhyun but it was really nice meeting you, I hope we can grow close as neighbors.”

            “It’s fine.” Baekhyun assured with a smile as he stood up, heading towards their back yard with Suho following behind him. “I’m pretty sure we’ll be great friends! I’ll drop by to visit as much as I can—if you don’t mind?”

            “Oh, I don’t, no worries.” Suho said. “My husband, Kim Minseok works abroad, it’s just usually Jungkook and I in the house. I would truly appreciate your company.”

            “That’s great!” Baekhyun grinned and he opened the back door, calling Taehyung and Jungkook out. Just as Baekhyun said, Taehyung managed to loosen up the shy Jungkook, they were now happily chatting about random things as the piled up rocks in a corner.

            “Wow, I’m impressed.” Suho commented. “I’ve never seen Jungkook that verbal. Your son has talent.”

            Baekhyun laughed in response. “Taehyung, Jungkook,” he called out. “It’s time for Jungkook’s dentist appointment. You guys can play some other time.”

            Both boys stood up and rush towards their fathers grinning. “Appa! Taehyung is getting a dog! I want one too!”

            “Kook, I’m not so sure your Daddy Min would approve of having a dog in the house…” Suho said as he started leading his son towards the front door.

            Taehyung and Baekhyun followed. Baekhyun was feeling nervous and had a bad feeling where the conversation was heading to and sure enough, Taehyung said, “Don’t worry, Jungkook! You can come over and play here in our house with my new dog! Daddy is sure to get me one by the end of the week!”

            That’s it. Baekhyun can’t afford to lift up the hopes of his son any longer. He feels wretched but as soon as Suho and Jungkook left, he was going to tell Taehyung the truth. He fully intended to let Taehyung have his dog but he has to wait for another year at most. He had already practiced what he had to say. He’ll be positive and direct with Taehyung. He raised his son to be understanding and kind. He can do this! He hopes…

            After a few more greetings and a promise of more future meetings, the door closed and it was only Baekhyun and Taehyung inside the house. Baekhyun braced himself for the talk with Taehyung and proceeded as plan.

            He told Taehyung everything that ran through his mind for the past few hours with regards to the dog issue and made a new promise of buying a dog for his birthday next year.

            Unfortunately and unsurprisingly, it didn’t go well.

            “You promised!” Taehyung shouted. “You said I could have a dog as soon as we moved into the new house! I believed you, Dad, but you lied!”

            Baekhyun’s eyes widen and his heart broke. “Y-you can, Taehyung. At your birthday, I swear I would give you the best dog ever. B-but please understand that Daddy can’t afford a dog, right now… I’m so sorry, baby.”

            Unusual for Taehyung, tears gathered in his eyes and he struggled to hold them back. The sight of his son crying crushed Baekhyun’s heart even more but before he could reach out to hug his son, Taehyung ran upstairs to his room. “Leave me alone, Dad! I don’t want to see you right now!”

            He heard the door slammed shut and Baekhyun sat down on the floor hugging his knees as he tried his best to not cry as well. He hugged his knees and muttered, “Oh, Joohyuk, how I wish you were the one here for him.”

 

It was a couple of hours before Baekhyun managed to compose himself enough to peek inside his son’s room.

            He saw Taehyung sleeping and he had to breathe hard to not cry once again over the fact that his little boy probably had cried himself to sleep. On a desperate attempt to make it up a bit to his son, Baekhyun rushed back downstairs to grab his wallet, a sticky note and a pen.

            He wrote that he would be at the grocery store just a couple of streets away from their house and that he would be back by 4 in the afternoon. The note was just a precaution in case Taehyung wakes up and finds Baekhyun gone but one look at the face of his son told Baekhyun, Taehyung wouldn’t be up any time soon. He left the note by the side table near Taehyung’s bed. He leaned down and gave a soft kiss on Taehyung’s forehead. “I’m really sorry, Tae. I’ll make it up to you and I will get your dog as soon as I can. I love you.”

 

Baekhyun jogged towards the grocery store for three reasons. One, he didn’t have a car,  two, the grocery was a safe walking distance away from their house and three, there weren’t any form of public transportation since the grocery store was still located inside their private subdivision.

            When he reached the store he quickly began his search for all their basic hygienic necessities and stock up on food. He ended up only buying a week’s supply of food but it was still quite a lot for him to carry by himself back home. He planned on making a feast for Taehyung every day of the week and he got so carried away with his shopping that only when he had paid for them all did he notice that there were a total of two plastic bags and one box he had to carry home.

            With a sigh, Baekhyun braced himself and carried the box placing the two plastic bags on top. There were barely any staffs or customer in the grocery store so as much as the people wanted to help Baekhyun he denied any offer because it was impossible any way. They offered for the politeness of the gesture but Baekhyun feels he will just be a hindrance. Oh, well it’s the thought that counts and in some ways, he felt like this was his karma for being a coward and lifting up the hopes of his son.

            It was slow and hard progress but Baekhyun knew he can manage. It would probably take him half an hour to get home with all the load and the fact that he was such a weakling, but he could do this! Just think positive—

            It was when Baekhyun rounded the corner that he nearly bumped with a man. The two plastic bags on top fell out of balance and Baekhyun can only watch in horror as they fell to the ground.

            Fortunately, someone with quick reflexes quickly took hold of the bags and saved anything from falling out. Now that his view was clear and his heart resumed a normal beating since the crisis was averted, Baekhyun looked back in front to apologize and thank the person he had bumped into.

            “I’m so sorry—Park Chanyeol?” Baekhyun gasped.

            Chanyeol blinked for a few seconds, before he nodded his head in greeting, a small smile on his lips. “Byun Baekhyun.”

            Park Chanyeol was wearing a black wifebeater and dark gray jogging pants. He was obviously out for a run since he was slightly sweating. Baekhyun can’t help but glance at his bare biceps and be impressed and jealous at the same time. If only he had a body as hot—physically fit!—as Chanyeol’s carrying these boxes home would be a cinch.

The two were simply staring at each other for a few moments before Baekhyun snapped back to reality. “Oh, right! I am, uhh, sorry about bumping into you again and thank you very much for saving our food for the week. You can place them back on top of the box and I’ll be on my way.”

Baekhyun smiled as best as he could towards the emotionless face of the man who was still staring down at him with a gaze Baekhyun cannot read once more. Baekhyun blinked lost in the intense gaze of the tall man and the only thing that woke him up from his daydream is when he felt his hands quickly brush the arms of Chanyeol as the tall man took the box from his hands.

“I’ll take the box, you can carry the plastics. They’re light. I put them back down the ground.” Chanyeol said. The man turned around and started walking.

It was when Chanyeol was already a few feet away did the whole situation sink into Baekhyun’s mind. He quickly picked up the plastic bags and dashed towards Chanyeol walking beside the man whose face was blank once more as he continued walking while carrying the box and staring straight ahead.

“Why are you helping me?” Baekhyun asked. He was walking, trying to keep up with Chanyeol’s pace, staring up at the man’s face once more searching Chanyeol’s face for answers.

“You obviously needed help. Is it a crime to help people? Should I give the box back to you so you can continue struggling your way back home?”

Baekhyun pursed his lips trying hard not to pout. He probably looked pathetic enough that someone like Park Chanyeol actually helped him. “I guess not… Thank you so much.”

Chanyeol simply nodded in response, there was a sort of conflicting emotions swimming through his eyes and Baekhyun can’t help but stare back up. He can’t believe he was becoming such a creep! Why does he keep on being fascinated by Chanyeol’s face—

Things happened fast. Since Baekhyun was busy staring up and having a conversation with his self, he tripped over a rock on the street. Well, he almost tripped. Because, quick as lightning, Chanyeol held the box with one arm and use the other to catch Baekhyun’s waist pulling him safely by his side.

His heart was pounding so hard as he looked at Chanyeol’s eyes which were so much closer now after what just happened. Once again, lots of emotions were swimming through those dark irises but worry was most prominent. “You really should start looking at where you’re going, Byun. We don’t want you to get hurt.”

All Baekhyun can do was nod slowly as Chanyeol quickly released him and started walking once more without another word. Silently, Baekhyun followed him a few steps behind, his face beet red. He didn’t want a repeat of what happened so he looked up and down at where he was walking. He decided not to walk beside Chanyeol anymore. The man is too… distractingly dangerous for his own good and Baekhyun didn’t like it. Besides he was so embarrassed he believes he can never face Chanyeol’s eyes once again!

Thankfully, they soon reached Baekhyun’s house. Baekhyun opened the door and Chanyeol followed him inside. “Y-you can put the box down at the kitchen counter.” Baekhyun softly muttered.

Chanyeol did as he was told. As soon as he placed down the box, he started making his way to the door. “Chanyeol!” Baekhyun instinctively called out.

The man glanced back at him and for the hundredth time that day, Chanyeol’s gaze pierced Baekhyun’s own. Baekhyun bit his lips and nervously fumbled with his fingers. “T-thank you for the… help. Would you like some, uhh, water or something?”

Chanyeol politely shook his head. “You’re welcome. I should get going now, Baek’s all alone at home.”

Baekhyun slowly nodded and with a small wave of good-bye from Chanyeol, the tall man was soon out of the door.

Baekhyun stared silently into space for quite a few minutes before he patted his cheeks back to reality. “Byun Baekhyun, snap out of it, damn it! Just—just start cooking dinner! Forget everything that happened!”

And so he did. Baekhyun distracted himself by quickly preparing dinner. Soon, Taehyung’s favorite mac and cheese, sausages and roasted chicken was ready. After setting the table, Baekhyun hurried upstairs to call out his son.

Once again, he nervously opened the door, peeking inside. “Tae? It’s time for dinner…”

He looked around the room and slowly frowned. Taehyung was out of sight.

Baekhyun stepped inside. Surely, Taehyung must have read his note and no matter how upset his son may be, he wouldn’t leave the house without telling Baekhyun, right?

And yes, Baekhyun was right. Taehyung did not leave the house without telling Baekhyun for he wrote a note. A note that made Baekhyun so scared for the first time in his fatherly life.

Dad,

You broke your promise. You made me believe I could have a dog as soon as possible but you lied. If I can’t have a dog then I don’t want to live with you anymore. Good bye.

Love, Tae

Everything was a blur. With Taehyung’s note crushed in his hand, Baekhyun dashed outside desperately shouting for his son’s name.

He ran outside of the house shouting for Taehyung, his eyes streaming with tears, his body shaking with fear. He felt two strong hands holding his shoulder and he turned around.

Park Chanyeol was staring at him with wide eyes, alarmed at the tears on Baekhyun’s eyes. “Baekhyun? What’s wrong?”

“It’s T-tae. H-he—“ Baekhyun couldn’t finish his sentence, he broke down crying, sobbing loudly. His knees felt so weak. The world felt so empty…

Chanyeol, without a word, pulled Baekhyun into his arms, hugging the man tightly. He didn’t say anything. This type of act goes against everything Chanyeol believes in and is fighting against but seeing this man so broken, broke Chanyeol’s walls. But right now, he wanted nothing else but to calm down the man whom he had just met but has risen so many emotions he thought he had long buried.

           

 

. . . unbeta-ed . . .

sorry for the typos and spelling in the grammar

 

anyway, what do you think? hehe can i have your opinions so far? it would mean a lot :)