Unveiling the glass bead

It hurts

I started being a trainee since grade 6. It was a choice purely directed by my passion in singing and dancing. My shoulder problem did not seem to be a concern back then, to me and also my parents. Training was tough, but I managed to push through without much injury. I even earned myself a reputation of powerful dancing when I was a trainee in BigHit.

Having debuted for more than two years, if I am to choose again whether I want to audition to become a trainee, I might actually hesitate. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I am tired of being a girl group member, or I lost interest in singing and dancing, or anything like that. I am still passionate about all these, and every day since I became part of Gfriend were amazing. The love and support we gained little by little gave me energy. The reason why I would hesitate is that I am not that confident that I could make it. I mean, why get a trainee that claims to be good at dancing but couldn't dance too much, otherwise her shoulder might be popping out? Why get a trainee who needs sufficient rest, when the whole world knows that idols in the kpop industry tend to be overworked? I don't know how the decision was made and what the decision was based on, but I am glad that these problems that I could think of did not seem to be concerns to the companies that accepted me.

There was once when I suddenly felt some kind of a burden because of my problem. That was not too long before our debut as Gfriend. We finally decided our standing position and we started to practice our self-introduction. When I said "I am the main dancer" aloud for the first time, the thought "Oh, I AM the main dancer..." kicked in. Our roles in the team have been decided ages ago, and I have always known that I am the main dancer of the group. Having danced for so many years, and with 4 years' experience as a trainee, my pride would not have allowed otherwise. But introducing myself aloud as the main dancer of a group that would be using powerful dancing as a trademark...it made me feel some kind of burden all of a sudden.

I knew my perfectionism would help me perform to my very best and the very best, but somehow I was worried. Worried that my physical state might not be able to catch up with my mental state. Worried about my problem that could potentially be a burden to me, and to the team. But everyone on the team knew about my problem or have witnessed me in a not-so-good state, and they believe that I will be able to handle it, and we will be able to handle it.

The members and everyone else on the team backed me up. We successfully had our debut, and we walked through the glass bead era without any major accidents. My arm and shoulder still hurt when we practiced too much or had a lot of performances consecutively, but it wasn't a big deal. I was used to it.

Now that I think about it, I was really lucky. That period of time was important for us, to make a good first impression to the public. Imagine me flinching or anything because of pain on the stage, the public would happily label me or even the group as having an 'attitude problem'. That would be a disaster.

 

**Video time~**

Predebut Gfriend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2SLXch9HCE