A painkiller named professionalism

It hurts

Navillera era was tough, as what I have said...both mentally and physically.

"I can't decide which one is worse...running under the scorching sun, or dancing in a stuffy to the max indoor set?" Eunha-unnie asked. It was the second day of our music video shooting. We spent the whole day outdoors yesterday, from bright day light to pitch black. For some reason, there are many scenes of running in this music video, so we have been dancing plus running Marathons in the sweltering heat throughout the day. Then at night, we fed mosquitos near the pool. We happily came for filming on this second day, since we were told that filming will be done indoors. Turns out the air conditioner was not working, and it was hot like an oven at the set.

I was feeling so hot after dancing that I could only sit and pant, almost sticking my tongue out like a dog. Our stylist-unnie was kind enough to fan me to prevent me from washing the products on my face away with my sweat.

"I prefer outdoors, although we could easily fry eggs on our heads out there, at least we get some wind when we run...and at least it wasn't like when we filmed for Me Gustas Tu..." Yuju-unnie casted her vote. Well, running doesn't bother her much I guess.

"Being Gfriend is like having an extreme job." Umji blurted, and we bursted into laughter. Yerin-unnie went to check her ankle's taping, and she came back just in time to hear Umji's statement, and she joined in laughing. Yerin-unnie sprained her ankle yesterday while on the skates and got her ankle taped up before filming.

Hearing Yerin-unnie's laughter at her back, Yuju-unnie turned to her and asked, "Yerin-unnie, gwaenchanayo?" Yerin-unnie was hurting quite a bit yesterday, she even cried last night when we were back at the dorm. "Ne, gwaenchanha. It's much better than yesterday." Yerin-unnie answered. "Great, just be careful later, we still have two dancing scenes to shoot!" Sowon-unnie was relieved to know that her dongsaeng was feeling better, but she was still a bit worried. We all know that we have a schedule to follow, and we must finish everything in time no matter how, so all we can give to Yerin-unnie were care, consolation, and hugs.

"Time to start!" Director-nim announced. "Ye-yes..." Sowon-unnie answered, apparently not ready to start again though. We weren't ready for another flaming dancing session yet, but anyhow we got into our position immediately.

As they started the music, we started dancing and lip-syncing..."Ouch!" I yelled as I lost my balance and twisted my ankle. "Cut! SinB-si, gwaenchanayo?" Director-nim asked. "Ne, I am really sorry I just twisted my ankle. Can I go and get my ankle taped?" "Of course! Five minutes break everybody!" Director-nim announced.

As I was getting my ankle taped up, the members gathered around me. "Omo...one more after Yerin...gwaechanayo, SinB-ya?" Sowon-unnie looked worried. "Ottoke..." Eunha-unnie whined. "We still have two dancing scenes...what are we going to do?" Umji added. "Gwaechanha...I can do it..."

Yerin-unnie still looked concerned. Of course, someone who has a sprained ankle understands another one who also got a sprained ankle. It sure was painful, I could see that my ankle was starting to swell up. But what else could I do? It was not like I could say "No I am not going to do it!" or anything. I couldn't hold the team back.

Director-nim came over right when I put my shoe back on, "SinB-si, you ok? Are you ready to continue?" "Ne, sorry for the trouble." I said as I stood up, holding back the moan in my throat as I felt the throbbing pain.

Director-nim went back to the monitor. As Umji helped me move to my spot, Sowon-unnie said, "Tell us if you can't stand it. We will see what we can do." "Ne..." I responded although both of us knew that there could be no 'if's, but I guess it does make me feel better to feel that someone cares about you as a person more than anything else. By saying this I was not complaining about the treatment we as idols receive, don't get me wrong, the members care about each other, our managers care about us, our staff care about us, our boss cares about us, not solely as business partners or cash cows (at least that is what I believe). As SinB, who is an idol, I would want the best for our team and for our fans. Hwang Eunbi can cry later on, but SinB must work now. Seeing how Yerin-unnie cried at night at the dorm, but worked as a professional in the day, I know that is the belief that everyone has in Gfriend.

"Gfriend ready? Lighting ready? Camera ready? Action!"

We all started to dance passionately. As soon as the filming started, the Gfriend in the monitor became the Gfriend in the best shape. I was not going to lie and say that my ankle didn't hurt as I danced, it hurts A LOT when we started. Every move was an ordeal, and I had to pay extra attention to my control over my facial muscles. But as I put all my heart and soul into the dance moves, the facial expressions and the lyrics, the pain became more bearable. It's still there, just more bearable.

"Cut! Come over to the monitor, girls." Director-nim shouted as soon as we finished off the dance with the butterfly pose. "Gwaechanayo, SinB-ya?" Sowon-unnie asked immediately. "Ne, I will be alright as soon as you don't make mistakes coz you are too worried~" I to ease her worries. "Aish this maknae!" Sowon-unnie pretended to be angry while she held my arm and carried my weight as we went over to the monitor. The shot was fine. One done one more to go.

"Great! One dancing scene left~ Last dancing scene~" Eunha-unnie and Umji sang as we were getting ready for the last dancing scene. I needed a bit of retouch for my makeup. The sharp pain at the ankle was driving cold sweat up my forehead. One left. Fighting, Hwang Eunbi! It will be quick. To be honest, I was feeling weak already. I had to pay a conscious effort to fight back my tears. It's painful enough to walk with a sprained ankle, let alone dancing powerfully. This is no time for crying, Hwang Eunbi.

"Ok girls, get ready for the last dancing scene!" "Fighting~" We shouted as we got into position. After I took a deep breath, the music started...

"Cut!" "Yes!" Eunha-unnie yelled. Finally! "Umji-ya, can you help me get to the chair?" "Of course! Is it very painful?" Umji came to my side immediately. Sowon-unnie came to the other side and carried my weight again. "Umji-ya..." I held back my tears until I was on the chair, with some tissue in my hand. I couldn't just let my tears roll down my cheeks. That would be especially troublesome for our makeup artist-unnie.

Umji hugged my and patted my back, while Sowon-unnie patted my head, while making sure that I was not smearing my makeup too much. They let me cry for about a minute or two, then I heard Sowon-unnie's sigh. "Eunbi-ya, you feeling better now? Don't cry anymore, otherwise your eyes would look puffy in the monitor!" Sowon-unnie handed me a tissue, and I blew my nose. "Aigo this dongsaeng..." Sowon-unnie took another tissue, bent down, and carefully wiped my tears away, causing minimal damage to  my makeup. "Ok, now get your makeup done! We got one last scene left."

To my relief, I didn't have to move much for the last scene. It was a short segment, and we finished in a jiffy.

"Wow, SinB is looking especially pretty in this scene..." Sowon-unnie exclaimed in an exaggerated manner. "Yeah...her eyes were moist...aww...yeppeo..." Yuju-unnie added. "Yuksi (역시 ~ as expected) sel.je.ye (세젤예 = the world's prettiest)" Yerin-unnie said in a playful tone. Now that the shooting was done, we were all relieved.

Just as we were joking around, manager-nim came over and said, "Great job everybody, especially Yerin and SinB! Since two of you are injured, you are excused from dance practice tomorrow, and all of you will have a half-day break tomorrow!" "Wow! That's great!" the six of us exclaimed.

With this great piece of news, we wrapped up our painful but memorable Navillera music video shooting.

 

**Video time~**

It's too hot at the set! (Navillera MV behind ~7:45): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIQev1z-4wc

Yerin sprained her ankle (Stardust 20160712 ~22:00) (I couldn't find the engsub, the only one with eng sub that I could find was a very similar but different one...this is the one I watched with Chinese subtitle): http://www.helloidol.com/19635.html

SinB sprained her ankle (Navillera MV commentary ~3:05): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4m7kkg_eng-sub-gfriend-navillera-mv-commentary-full-hd_music

Se.Jel.Ye (Gfriend x American Tourister special clips ~2:14): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KCmb3OQoa8

 

*Author's message*

Finally another update! Not entirely satisfied with it, but for now I haven't got other ideas for this chapter. At first this chapter was going to be named "Gonna be ok?" but then as I write, I found that some content that fits this title more have to be moved to the next chapter, so I changed the title for this, and the upcoming chapter will be "Gonna be ok?" I guess lol. I got more motivation to write these days, since I feel like I should at least finish writing what I have in mind about the past eras before Gfriend's comeback...BUT I am lazy and I am going on a trip next week, so I don't expect myself to be producing another chapter very very soon...Anyway, enjoy and stay tuned~