The letter

The withered rose

*Five days later*

I'm still waiting for you to come and now I can finally meet you. If I could wait 49 years for this, then I can wait 49 minutes. How ironic.

“You're here,” that voice brings me back to reality.

I look up to see the man I have never expected to see again in this lifetime, “have a seat.”

He changed through these years, but that smile is still there.

“How are you doing?” he asks me. Why do you look so sad when you said those words?

“I'm doing well these years.”

“... I…”

“Grandpa, what are you doing here?” A voice interrupts us. Our eyes turn to the boy with big cutely eyes. What is this feeling inside of me?

“Naeun-ah, meet my grandson, kyungsoo. Kuyngsoo, this is my long time friend,” so I'm just a friend to him? And he has a family? So many thoughts, and so many feelings that hurt me.

Tears start to form, “ Kyungsoo, it's a pleasure to meet you.”

“The pleasure is mine, …” he seems a little hesitant on how to address me.

“Nainai would be fine,” Suho tells him.

“I have to go,” I quickly grab my stuff and bid my farewell. I just can't take it anymore.

“Wait..”

I try my best to hide somewhere near the cafe. I turn around to see them looking around for me when I overheard their conversation.

“Grandpa, we don't have much time left. Grandma is waiting for us to celebrate your wedding anniversary,” I can feel my heart crash into pieces.

“Wait for me for a second,” Suho quickly runs inside the cafe and runs out. They leave the cafe in their car and from that moment on, I haven't seen him again.

I go back inside the cafe to wait for my husband when a waitress gives me a letter, “ it's from the man you were with.”

 

Dear the love of my life,

Am I still a part of your heart?

There are so many times I waited for this moment. I was beyond happy when I came to know you were still alive. I have to thank your husband for setting this meeting up.Let me tell you what happened to my life without you in it. I started working hard when I arrived in China and a family took me in afterward. The family offered me a marriage with their daughter but I refused. And the news from your parents saying that you passed away left me devastated.

Why are you doing this to me when you said I was your miracle ever since I was born?

I agreed to their arrangements and they said I must give them at least 3 kids. What else could I do at that time? So I took the whole thing as repaying my debt when they took me in. I treated her well but my heart was never with her. She did everything she could to make me happy but I couldn't.

Why can't you just be happy?

When I met your husband, I introduced my wife to him and he also introduced his wife’s name and said that she was sick. I was shocked to hear that but I couldn't do much at the moment since there were cameras around. I then met him in private and asked more information about his wife and it turned out to be you. I came to know how well he took care of you but he said you were waiting for me.

I wonder how many times I cried for you to the point that my eyes had no tears left.

Treat him well, Naeun-ah. You and I probably don't belong to each other in this lifetime. But I promise you I will find you in the next life and I will marry you. I will definitely keep this promise with me until death and when I reborn I will demonstrate my promise to you. He's a good guy to be able to endure you like this. Live the rest of your life well with your husband and I will do the same with my family.

Sincerely,

     The man who will love you forever

p.s. Even though you are still in my heart, but so is my wife. I'm sorry.

I will do it, I will live the rest of my life like you wish to repay what my parents did to us. I can't hold back my tears anymore when Baekhyun comes to pick me. He drops me off at our mansion and goes back to work. He normally engages us in conversation but he's quite during the car ride.

I walk around the house to take a look at our pictures with our family. So many happy memories happened in this house. I come across a calendar that says our wedding anniversary is tomorrow. Like any year my husband would throw a romantic dinner for both us but like any year I would just walk away.