Escape

First Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The teeny tiny crush I had on Professor Min had manifested into something even more as I spent more time in the Music Room, composing and writing. Even if he wasn't there, I worked hard on stringing chords together. I would then ask him about how it sounded. He was a very nurturing teacher and he didn't explicitly tell me "do this" or "change that" but guided me to do what I thought sounded good. Technical mistakes, he would correct, but if I liked the way my melody was constructed, he never told me that it sounded bad or I should change it. I liked the way his smile showed his gums and sometimes when he listened to me play, his lips would part in concentration, a daydream-like look on his face. I liked it when he pat my head and told me that I was talented, because I never once received any sort of affirmation from my parents. I doubt anyone even knew I played the piano since my parents hid it from them.

"You could use a G-chord here instead, but it would sound quite flat compared to your current A-minor." Professor Min said. I nodded, telling him that I preferred my A-minor because the melody was supposed to be more upbeat and he nodded, listening to the rest of my tweaking. 

My grades in school were good and I had made two friends so far - a girl called Nara and her brother, Nankyung. They were quirky and made me laugh a lot and they made studying a lot easier since I semi-tutored them, giving me a chance to relearn stuff as well. They had heard me play the piano and were smitten. Some of their free days, they came over to my place for food and studying, listening to me play the piano but not for long since my mother would tell me to stop being noisy. They always shot me looks of pity when she did and I would sigh, going back to the books. 

 

--

Time had very soon flown by and it was August. Exams had just ended and I walked out of my accounting exam, trading answers with Nara and Nankyung, also exchanging plans for summer. Nara was going to Italy with her old high school girl friends but Nankyung was trying to get into a higher-level class for summer term. I told them about doing a secret double major for music and they had given me their support, but they also worried my parents would find out. I shared their worries but as long as I did well in business, they probably wouldn't care too much. I just had to hide my Music grading slip from them.

A week after, I had submitted my second major registration form to the office. I had heard the music major was a rare take-up and had a maximum of 20 applicants per year since 3 years ago, but anyone who took music under the school would blossom and become successful composers or musical artists and teachers. Professor Min had been merely 22 when he started teaching but since then, under Professor Min, the department flourished and the school was slowly gaining fame in the area. I had read articles of success stories coming from Professor Min's guidance and strict programme.

My request for second major was approved and I had to dive through the letters sent to my home every day to make sure my parents didn't find out. I hid in my room for the rest of the night, clutching the piece of paper tightly as I fell asleep. It meant I could possibly live my dream one day and perhaps see Professor a bit more... I chuckled to myself.

 

"Welcome to the Music Major's first official lecture." Professor Min clapped and smiled at the 15 students before him. "I haven't had a full class in 2 years, so pardon me for being rusty. The handbooks given out just now contain your sy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter