Ouch! Out of the Blue...

Dying to See You

 Don't forget to watch: Trailer

  The dinner was filled with silence and awkwardness. Mr. Kwon ate quickly and messily. Prison probably helped him develop this new style of eating. Yuri watched her father stuff pounds of food into his deceitful mouth. Somehow, she felt so intolerant towards him today. She couldn’t help but think about what Nichkhun said of being robbed. Curiosity invaded her thoughts.

   She dropped her chopsticks on her plate which resonated in the small room. Mr. Kwon paused and eyed his daughter.

   “What’s wrong, Yul?” he asked while attempting to swallow a large amount of rice. Yuri gave him a strong glare before answering.

   “What was the place that you went off to yesterday?” He didn’t answer and simply rolled his eyes in disinterest.

   “It actually wasn’t the best place. I was expecting more.” Yuri was angry now.

   “Appa! I want to know where you went and not what benefits it brought to you,” she shouted across the table. He jolted and glanced from left to right. His mind buffered.

   “Wae, Yul? Is there anything wrong?” The girls gave out one of her irritated fixes. Her eyes lit on fire and directed their piercing effects on his.

   “Will you just tell me exactly where you went?” Mr. Kwon clearly got the message. He could see his daughter hold herself in.

   “Ok… Ok… I’ll tell you.” Yuri sat up and concentrated on every movement her father let out. “The place we picked out was in a little urban area, not rich, but not poor. The place seemed perfect because the area was closed, and not very many people would enter.

   “Who owned the house?” He thought about it before answering. He tried to recall the pictures on the wall and the owners of the different rooms he visited.

   “Ummm… I think there were two kids in that family, with a father and mother. Looking at the pictures on the wall, the kids seem to be a girl and a boy.” Yuri gave him a head signal to keep going. “The sister appeared younger by a couple of years, and the boy had this weird look on his eyes.” This rung a bell in her head.

   “By any chance, did the boy look blind?” asked Yuri, hoping for a denial.

   “Well, yes. How did you know?” Yuri clinched her fist into one another. She got up from her chair and changed her expression to something even worse than the previous one.

   “APPA! What do you think you’re doing? Go give their stuff back.” Her father remained calm and continued to eat.

   “Why should I? My partners have part of it too?” Yuri pouted like a child and held herself from going unreasonably insane.

   “You really make me crazy!” she said with an irritated tone as she left her food and disappeared behind the exit door. Even if she loved her father, for some reason, he was her least favorite person on the planet at the moment.

 


 

   Yuri ran to school today. That wasn’t her usual reflex. She normally preferred to take her time and go slow and easy. At the gate of the school, she caught her breath and took a small sip of her water. Her bag pack was another burden that slowed her down from finishing the final steps into the school. Gathering her last ounces of energy, she went inside. Her eyes traveled throughout her surroundings. She desperately tried to look for Nichkhun. Yuri went everywhere she could think of: his locker, the classrooms. She even waited on front of the restrooms. Most wondered what made her so desperate.

   “Where on earth can he be?” she thought, almost drained out of her own body. Then the answer came to her like gold. She forgot to check the piano room. Quickly, Yuri glided though the hallways and made her way to the destination. Her feet were almost unstoppable. She made it to the room, practically hanging on the doorknob. From the outside, a beautiful melody could be heard. Even if only a simple hand played the melody, it was surprisingly beautiful. Yuri went inside and listened. It sounded just like “Kiss the Rain” from Yiruma.

   Tears came to her eyes. Yuri, without hesitation, walked towards Nichkhun who sat peacefully at the piano. She placed herself beside him and completed his piece with a left hand accompaniment, the harmony. Together, the song sounded complete. Nichkhun, even without being able to see who it was, knew exactly who sat by his side. By the end of the song, their hands drew away from the piano.

   “Yuri-ah,” said Nichkhun’s voice, confused.

   “You recognized me?” He nodded in responds to the question. There was a long moment when nobody dared uttered a word until… “Nichkhun-sshi… Mianhe.”

   “Sorry for what?” Yuri was on the verge of answering until she virtually stopped herself. If she told Nichkhun, the police would eventually find out, meaning she would have to be separated from her father again. For this reason, she kept sealed.

   “For… playing a flat instead of a sharp a second ago.” Nichkhun smirked and faced her, with his eyes remaining immobile.

   “I came to realized that you’re really weird.” Yuri pushed him off the piano bench as they laughed hysterically. Their friendship was pure and sweet.

 

***

...3 years later... 

   Years went by like a summer cloud; fast yet enjoyably. Even so, Yuri never forgot to repay her friend. However, she didn't do it in one shot for certain. Nichkhun wouldn’t ever accept. Everyday, she would slip extra coins in his bag to eventually pay off her secret dept towards his family. So far, she had never gotten caught.

   Nichkhun walked along side with his younger sister, Yoona, through the hallways. Her arm hung between his as they glided around as if they didn’t have sense of time. They were always close siblings, since their toddler years. The only thing Nichkhun didn’t really appreciate was Yoona’s over protectiveness despite being the younger sister. It made him feel so much more inferior.

 

 

   Meanwhile, Yuri shuffled her feet across the school grounds as well, but this time, with Taecyeon. They had just about finished class, and they were eager to get out of it. Yuri swung a lunch box back and forth. Occasionally, it would hit her companion on the knee.

   “Yah! You hit me again. Watch it!” shouted Taecyeon with sarcastic annoyance.

   “Omo! Mian. I didn’t mean to oppa,” she replied in defense.

   “Since when have you started bringing such large amount of food to school?” Yuri smiled mischievously. The look on her face was unusual and embarrassed altogether.

   “It’s not for me. It’s for Khun oppa,” she explained with her cheeks turning some sort of red. Taecyeon elbowed the side of her arm with a naughty glare.

   “Be careful. Victoria would be super jealous if she see’s that you’re finding ways to get closer to him. You do know how much she likes him after all.”

   “Yah! I never said that I liked him!” Yuri couldn’t hide her interior joy. It sprouted on it’s own. She continued to walk forward as Taec followed consistently.

   “Suit yourself. Whatever you say…” mumbled Taecyeon who obviously saw the apparent evidence through her actions that she was lying. At that same moment, Yuri found her piano student from afar. Her pace began to pick up, giving her friend much difficulty in catching up. At the sight of Nichkhun, it was as if energy invaded her body. At her arrival on front of him, Yuri made an abrupt halt, leaving Taec without control of his own feet.

   “Annyeong Nichkhun-sshi! Yoona-sshi!” she greeted while letting out her hand for Nichkhun to feel. This way, he could easily recognize her unique traits, allowing him to identify her better. Yoona glared unhappily. She never liked Yuri for various reasons. She didn’t like the fact that her vulnerable brother was hanging out with a criminal’s daughter. It scared her to death. Yuri tried to let out one of her friendliest smirks, but still no success in convincing the almighty sister.

   “Oh! Yuri-ah. I was looking all over for you. I thought that we had a piano lesson at 3pm,” started Nichkhun, happy with her presence. Taecyeon watched their hands still gripped onto one another. He knew that something was going on between them.

   “Sorry for being late. Why don’t we start anyways? Besides, I have something to make it up to you.” Nichkhun nodded in a manly but attractive matter. Yuri turned towards Yoona and beamed again. “Mianhamnida Yoona-sshi. I hope that you won’t mind if I borrow your brother for a bit. She rolled her eyes coldly and stared away. As per usual, Yuri ignored her distant attitude and proceeded with a bow. As Nichkhun and Yuri walked down the hallway towards the music room, Yoona felt anger.

   Taecyeon leaned over to blurt a whisper in her ear.

   “Why are you so mean?” he asked playfully, even if he somewhat knew the answer.

   “How can you trust such a thing after all the crimes her father has committed?” she supported her reasoning. Taecyeon nodded with disagreement.

   “You’re underestimating her too much. She’s a lot better than her dad,” he finally let out. Yoona refused to believe that she was good. Everything about her was trouble.

 


 

   Yuri the lights to the room while guiding Nichkhun inside. Knowing the place by heart, he walked towards the piano bench all by himself. The young lady watched him move around so confidently.

   “Khun oppa, I have something for you.” She opened the lunch box packed with a variety of vegetables, fruits, meat, noodles and egg rolls. Nichkhun would smell the aroma, making his saliva crave for it.

   “Wah! You made this?” Yuri would’ve said yes, but she then thought of what Taec mentioned about Victoria earlier.

   “No! Victoria made it,” she answered instead as he already had a piece of cabbage in his mouth. “She wanted to make you something nice, but she couldn’t be here to hear you play.”

   “That’s okay. Tell her that I said thank you.” He had a bright look on his face today. It was different from his usual passive expressions he wore every single day. Yuri watched him gracefully pick the food with his hands and place them to savor in his mouth. It made her smile. Everything went well until Nichkhun gradually began to chew slower. It was as if something weren’t right.

   “What’s wrong oppa? Does the food taste funny?” she asked worriedly. His facial expression told more than just a simple lack of taste buds. He began to shut his eyes tightly, covering them with his hands. Moans of pain came out of his mouth as he leaned on the piano keys for support. His body began to twitch in dangerous pain. The sting he felt in the eye area was almost unbearable. Nichkhun stood up and backed further away.

   Yuri felt terrified.

   “Oppa, are you alright,” she asked with a somewhat soft and gentle voice. He shoved her away. As consistent as she was, Yuri didn’t give up. She continued to take his arm for comfort. Nichkhun couldn’t cease to shout even more. His sudden suffering scared her to death. Feeling that her intervention was aggravating his headache, Nichkhun swung his arm in to air, hitting Yuri directly on her face. She fell to the ground, surprised by his powerful hit. He evidently didn’t mean to do it, and he probably didn’t know he did either.

 

“Stay away from me Yuri-ah. I’m afraid that I’ll hurt you if you come closer. I don’t want to hurt you,” whispered Nichkhun with an aching tone. 

Yuri didn't understand what was going on.