The New Taste Inside Me

Dying to See You

   Yuri peeked through the school’s music room to see if the coast was clear. Nobody… She went inside the vacant area and made her way to the piano. A lot of people often took over that instrument, but this time it was free to use. It was her favorite instrument, out of many, to play on. She made herself comfortable on her bench and rested her hands on the keys. Before playing, a song came to mind and it transpired between her fingers.

   The pretty melody echoed throughout the nearby rooms. People who walked by could hear the keys resonating on the strings. Every single touch had some sort of emotion behind it. Then, she began to sing with her soft and smooth voice. The lyrics she wrote for it didn’t belong to the original song; she simply added them in out of boredom.

   Nichkhun walked past the sound coming from the door crack. It was a purely perfect sound. Just wandering through the hallways after his class, he felt a tingle when hearing such wonderful music. Something drew him towards the source of this voice. Without ever entering such room, Nichkhun had absolutely no idea where he was going. The resonance was the only thing guiding him.

      Without having the orientation to see it, Nichkhun hit his knee on one of the chairs. Yuri stopped her tune and turned her focus on the blind boy who desperately tried to find a clear step.

   “Oh Nichkhun-sshi. You were here. Are you alright?” she asked when seeing his struggles to move around. Nichkhun recognized her voice from their previous conversation. Yuri got up to help him locate his way to the piano bench beside her. “Did you come to use the music room?”

   “Aniyo. I’m here because I heard someone playing and singing. It sounded so soothing that I wanted to know who it was. So… it was you.”

   “What? You mean this? That was just me fooling around. I’m not very good,” she stated with her eyebrows lifted up in surprise at his words.

   “Are you kidding me? You’re amazing. I would love to have that kind of talent,” he expressed with earnestness. “I always wanted to learn how to play an instrument, but as you can see, that’s kind of impossible for someone like me.” Yuri frowned mischievously. She didn’t think this was completely true.

   “I think that you could do it,” she assured with a smile. “People who can’t see literally can see bigger things that others don’t.” Nichkhun tried to understand what she meant by this. “Do you want me to teach you how to play?”

   He absolutely would die to learn. “Are you sure?” Yuri didn’t even bother to give a definitive answer and grabbed his hands towards the keys. Each key felt smooth but cold between each finger. Yuri played notes that Nichkhun listened to attentively. He tried his hardest to identify the same sound on the piano. It was very difficult, especially because everything was new to him. Quickly, his ear’s and hands found a link.

 

   They sat on front of the piano for hours, not even noticing time go by so fast. Within that short amount of time, Nichkhun was able to play like he’d learn for months. His ear was so pitched that he knew all the sounds, barely knowing how the keys looked like. Yuri stretched her arm to sooth its tenseness and wiggled her fingers for comfort.

   “Nichkhun-sshi, I told you that you were able to do it. You learned so fast for a start.” she said encouragingly.

   “Khun…” he stated making Yuri confused.

   “Khun? What do you mean?”

   “Call me Khun. We’re friends now. We need no be comfortable with each other. Araso?” Yuri smiled widely. Having a friend was a huge exploit in her eyes. In the mist of her gaze, Nichkhun laid a soft kiss on her cheek. His lips were warm. Yuri froze. “Komawo, for helping me. Being able to play was only a dream for me.” He backed away. “The fact that you were able to teach me something that looked impossible, gives me some sort of hope.  It makes me think that, one day, I might actually be able to see again. I might not be as helpless after all.”

   She stared at him for a while. No wonder Victoria had a crush on him. He was such a sweet boy. His hair gleamed in the weak lighting of the room. Yuri snapped out of her admiration and got to her feet. She knew that if she were to help her friend win this guy’s heart, she couldn’t let a friendly ‘kiss’ affect her. His peck was still stinging her interiorly as she tried her all to let it slide.  

   “Since you did such a good job today, we should go celebrate!” Nichkhun stood up as well. Yuri swallowed and attempted to think of other things rather than what had just happened. “Yuri-ah, why are you so anxious? Just act natural,” Yuri thought to herself. She gripped on his arm and led him out of that stuffy place. Her arm was tucked under his at their exit.

“I need you to meet someone Khun. I think that she would really like to meet you.”

 


 

   Yuri made her companion enter the restaurant with her hands gripping on his. They walked around, looking like a sweet couple strolling by. Nichkhun was often an independent blind boy, but he liked holding Yuri’s hand, even if they didn’t have that sort of relationship. A waitress greeted them and handed over the menu.

   “Tell me if you want anything. I’ll take care of it,” she ordered even if her money had been little lately. After blurting out a few words amongst each other, they heard the door open, letting in another customer. Victoria suddenly came flying past the door. Yuri gave her a hand motion to come over quickly. As she sat down, Victoria eyed Nichkhun with anxiety. He obviously didn’t notice her loving gaze. Her friend gave her an encouraging stare. “Victoria, this is Nichkhun Horvejkul. Khun, this is my best friend, Victoria,” introduced Yuri warmly as she gave the girl’s hand for Nichkhun to feel.

   He smiled charmingly after rubbing the tip of her fingers. “Annyeong haseyo! Nice to meet you,” he began politely. Victoria was too nervous to answer. Her heart raced worriedly. She gave edgy signs, begging her best friend to break the awkwardness. They eyed each other quietly so Nichkhun wouldn’t hear. Yuri found the atmosphere uncomfortable and decided to spice it up a bit. Nobody seemed to have anything to say anyways.

   “Are you guys hungry? Why don’t we get some food?” she suggested before calling over the waitress and placed the order.

   The food brought over shortly was delicious, but supper was less pleasing. Yuri felt like she was building up two different discussions. Victoria and Nichkhun almost never addressed themselves to one another. Of course, Nichkhun tried to connect with her, but it just didn’t work. Victoria answered with short replies, making it hard for him to create a conversation.  Yuri, watching this tense ambiance, attempted to bond them with almost no success.

   Victoria was too shy. She couldn’t even say his name without nearly fainting.

 

 

   Later on that evening, after the bittersweet supper, all three leisurely walked on the sidewalk just outside the restaurant. Yuri’s hand was directly linked to Nichkhun’s for safety purposes since he didn’t have his walking stick. This made Victoria give out shivers of jealousy. She fixed them while slowly shuffling from behind.

   Yuri grinned and took a gulp of the fresh air. It felt really good, especially in the wonderful indigo sky. She observed people walk by, smiling and laughing on the seemingly filled streets.

   “The air is nice, isn’t it Khun-sshi?” His nose absorbed the fresh city air. Yuri’s gentle touch made all satisfaction multiply by ten, making the polluted air more refreshing to him.

   “It is. We should do this more often. I really had fun today. I mean… It felt good getting to know you and all,” he added with his gentle voice. Yuri smiled at his words. She rapidly realized that they were alone. Where was Victoria? Her guard went from every corner to look for her friend. Turning back, there she was; pacing behind them with sadness covering every inch of her face.

   Yuri realized how rude it was for her to hold onto Khun like that, especially after the promise she made the other day. Yuri pulled Victoria by her side and let go of Khun’s hand.

   “Khun-sshi, I’m a little tired. Victoria will walk with you for a while,” she gave as an excuse on purpose while connecting their hands together. Nichkhun felt a new shape crawl across his fingers. Somehow, these hands felt a lot different from Yuri’s. The sensation he possessed changed when coming in contact with this new touch.

   Victoria glared at Yuri with a little smile that could be spotted on the side of her lip. She was thrilled yet scared when holding his hand. It felt wonderful having him by her side, just like in her dreams. Nichkhun adjusted to his new guide and continued to walk.

   The two ambled quietly on front of Yuri who followed from behind. She watched them trail sweetly across the sidewalk covered in fallen leaves. It was like watching a movie, except Yuri felt funny towards the main actor. Why did a sour taste come through when seeing her best friend get her wish? Was she jealous of her? What could possibly make her envious? Khun? Now way!

“Yuri-ah, you shouldn’t feel this uneasy. You’re not interested in boys. You’re a daughter of a burglar,” she convinced herself repeatedly.

   But who can lie to themselves in this case? Deep down, she knew that there was something agitating her. Yuri failed to understand this ‘sensation’ that was completely new to her. She had never fallen in love. Was this the first?

Impossible. 

 

Sorry for taking so long. I started school again so it's really hard to find time. And as some of you know, I'm a huge Khunri fan. Sorry Khuntoria shippers. So not to worry about the ending if you were hoping Khunri. :D On another note, I'm sorry for this more or less interesting chapter. I will proably finish my other story so this one will be updated slowly. Once I'm done with the other one, updates will come a lot more frequently.

Saranghae!

maeanneda123