CHAPTER 4

If only

Kyungsoo had never said it out loud, yet Baekhyun had known that she liked Jongin long before.. since the first day she laid her eyes on him. She had been observing them silently since then. Kyungsoo’s smile faltered whenever she saw Jongin with the other girls. Now that Soojung had become a member of their circle of friends, her concern for Kyungsoo had increased. She noticed that Kyungsoo would keep out of the way of the two. Sometimes she’s spacing out in the class. She’s not as cheery as before.

 

 

 

 

It’s been months that Kyungsoo and Jongin had fallen out of their routine. Kyungsoo no longer called him in the morning to wake him up. Number of days Kyungsoo would go home alone had also increased. Jongin’s absence in their group study date became normal. Kyungsoo started all of this. Because she didn’t want to fall too deep. She realized why she hurt so much last time when she saw Jongin with Soojung. It’s because she had fallen too hard. So, she started avoiding them. One time, Jongin asked her if she wanted to hang out at the weekends and she rejected right away with “I already promised Sehun to tutor him this weekend.” Next time was when Jongin called her on the holiday. He wanted to come to her home and watch movie together. In the past, it was normal for them to have movie marathon on holidays at each other’s house. Mostly Jongin came to hers. However, she made up an excuse this time just to avoid being alone with him. Jongin must have laid off after so many times of trying to amend their relationship. He no longer initiated to approach her or request to hang out.

 

 

 

 

Today is the weekend before the university started again after summer and the two best friends were hanging out at Kyungsoo’s home. After having lunch what Kyungsoo’s mother made, the two girls were watching ‘The Lying Games’ in Kyungsoo’s room, sitting against the headboard of her bed, laptop perching on top of her lap.

“Kyungsoo-yah, how can your mom cook so well? I think my stomach will burst with the food I gobbled earlier.”

“You shouldn’t have eaten too much then.” Kyungsoo retorted.

“Huh., I can’t help it.”

After that, Baekhyun was fidgeting in her seat, contemplating how to continue the conversation. She wanted to confront her friend about Jongin.

Kungsoo’s trying to concentrating in the movie but with the way Baekhyun was squirming constantly beside her made it hard to do so.

“Spill it.” Kyungsoo finally asked.

“Huh..?” Baekhyun was startled.

“What’s on your mind, Baek? Tell me. You have something to tell me, right?”

“Um… It’s about Jongin.” Baekhyun started carefully, reading her friend’s emotion through her face.

“Oh.. ..what about him?” Kyungsoo knew this day would come eventually. Her best friend would ask about this matter sooner or later since she’s been not herself lately. She’s avoiding Jongin and made little to no interaction with him while meeting up with the group. She would stay close to Sehun or Baekhyun or any other one except Jongin.

“I know you’ve been distant to him, Soo. Tell me, baby. How’re you feeling? At least talk to me so that I can help you.”

Kyungsoo’s heart swelled due to her best friend’s concern about her. She could read her like an open book. That moment she knew there’s someone she could rely on made her lose it. Tears flowed out of her eyes like a broken dam.

“Oh my poor girl. Come here.” Baekhyun embraced the crying girl in her arms, rubbing soothing circles on her back. She must have contained her emotions so long that she broke down completely.

 

After a while, Kyungsoo had calmed down again. But she’s still snuggling to Baekhyun.

“I like him, Baek. No…I think I’m in love with him.” Kyungsoo started.

“I know, Soo. I know.” Baekhyun said patting her head lightly before continuing, “then why are you avoiding him?”

“I don’t think he likes me back. I thought he harbored the same feeling as me at first. But I’m not sure of it anymore. Now he’s spending more time with Soojung and I’m afraid that I couldn’t handle it if they end up together at last. So I’m keeping a distance from them. So that I couldn’t fall too deep.” Kyungsoo confessed her feeling for the first time.

“Then what about you confess him first? You won’t know it if you don’t open up with each other. What if he likes you back?”

“I don’t think I could handle the rejection, Baek. I don’t know what will happen if he rejects my feeling.”

“Then, you have me. I’ll always be here, right beside you whenever you need me. If you don’t know the answer clearly, you can’t move on. You have to do this to make your heart at peace. Avoiding the problem won’t take you anywhere.”

Baekhyun was right. She’s in the current state because she was being a coward. She’s being extremely cautious not to get hurt. Right! It’s time to man up and open her mind.

 

 

 

 

 

University-days started again and everything was bright due to the brilliant sun. Flowers were blooming to their utmost. People’s spirits were uplifted. So was Kyungsoo’s. She had made up her mind to face her fear now.

At the lunch break, she saw Jongin going to the cafeteria. She sped up her pace and followed him.

“Hey, Jongin!” she greeted him first when she reached near him.

Jongin turned back and met her, “Oh. ..hey, Kyungsoo!”

“You’re going to canteen, right? Let’s go together.” Said Kyungsoo.

“Okay. Let’s go.” Jongin responded and walked together.

“How’s your holiday?” Kyungsoo asked.

“Great! I went to Taemin’s hometown. He invited me.”

“Really? He lives in Ulsan, right? It must be great, Jongin.”

“Yeah, it is.” Jongin replied showing her a wide grin.

It wasn’t that hard to start a conversation, Kyungsoo thought. There’s hope to amend their friendship to previous state. She’ll definitely try to be brave.

They reached their destination soon. Other friends were already there with their meal on the table. Baekhyun was sitting at one end of the table, Minseok was next to her. Jongin took the seat opposite Minseok and Kyungsoo sat down next to him. Baekhyun inwardly smiled. Soon after, Soojung, Sehun and Jongdae were coming to them. Soojung was aiming to for the seat beside Jongin but before she could do so, Baekhyun spoke up, “Hey Soojung, come here. Sit beside me.”

When Soojung was about to protest, Sehun took the place beside Jongin. She reluctantly sat down next to Baekhyun. Baekhyun smirked secretly.

The lunch break was not enough for them as they were animatedly chatting and catching up about the summer holiday. When it was time for classes, Jongin walked Kyungsoo to her next classroom. Soojung nowhere to be found because Baekhyun intentionally took her to the bathroom to make her help touch up the make-up. Beakhyun may or may not deliberately smear her own eyeliner.

 

That evening Jongin and Kyungsoo went home together. It’s spring in Kyungsoo’s heart , flowers blooming colourfully.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Thank you for reading and sorry for the imperfection. Please tell me what you think. ;)