CHAPTER 2

If only

Kyungsoo’s nature was quiet, reserved and introverted, but not oblivious. She kept to herself what she saw and heard.

She could feel that she and Jongin were closer than others. She was drawn to Jongin more than necessary. She didn’t know how but her instinct told her that Jongin felt the same.

When she was revising the lessons alone between the lectures, Jongin would come and sit just beside her or play some games on his mobile phone. It became a habit for both of them. They won’t talk or interact with each other at such times, but just enjoy each other’s company silently. Other girls would stare at them with jealousy wishing to be in her position. Kyungsoo didn’t care anymore, she became accustomed to those stare and whisper.

Kyungsoo’s heart fluttered a little at those times when Jongin would wait for her at the front of her practical classes or when he offered her a helping hand when she had so many things to carry around.

 

Her friends and Sehun also noticed their attraction for each other. Sometimes Baekhyun would subtly tease them when Jongin shared his lunch with Kyungsoo or bought extra can of beverage from vending machine only for Kyungsoo. Baekhyun would say ‘’ You know, Jongin, I wouldn’t mind a bottle of coke.’’

‘’Oh, I thought you’re on diet, Baek,’’ Jongin would reply like that.

Sometimes, being a brat and mischievous, Sehun would snatch the drink even before reaching into Kyungsoo’s hand saying, “Thanks, Jongin. How do you know I’m thirsty?”

 

People thought they were a thing except that Jongin hadn’t confess his feeling yet. They were not lovers yet, and not just friends either. Kyungsoo wished he would ask her out and to be his girlfriend. She would accept him immediately without hesitation.

 

 

Times passed just like that, Kyungsoo waiting for him patiently and Jongin hesitating for who knows what.

 

And then there came into the 4th year of university. Jongin was still popular. Even more handsome and manly; fruits of work out at the gym. His masculine feature attracts more people. More girls falling for him. He started going out with other friends when he’s not with Kyungsoo’s squad. Sehun would tag along and his circle of friends grew larger. No matter what, Kungsoo was his priority. He always spared some alone time with Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo couldn’t help but jealous though whenever someone said that Jongin was seen with another girl outside of the campus.

 

Kyungsoo also became a little bit more sociable. She befriended with her classmates and seat mates from her practical group.

 

 

This weekend is supposed to be a movie date with Jongin. But Sehun asked for her help on Pathology for the upcoming exam. Kyungsoo couldn’t refuse anyone when it came to education. She had to cancel her appointment with Jongin on the last minute. She couldn’t forget the disappointment in his voice before he hung up. “Whatever, Kyungsoo. You ditch me again. I will just go with someone else.”

Before she could apologize again, he hung up on her. This is the second time she had to call off their meet up. Movie can wait another time, right? She convinced herself.

 

On the next day, her heart sunk a little when Baekhyun said, “I saw Jongin at the Capital Mall with Soojung yesterday. They were heading to the cinema there. I thought he was going with you. You said so, didn’t you?”

“I had to call off ‘cuz Sehun came to ask for help with his study.” She said smiling that didn’t reach her eyes.

“Oh..” Baekhyun sensed the disappointment and regret but she didn’t voice out anything.

 

The whole day, Kyungsoo couldn’t focus on her lectures. The images of Jongin and Soojung together replaying in her head again and again. Jung Soojung is one of her classmates. She is next most popular beside Baekhyun. Her chic look and cool personality is her charm. She also made sure to show her interest in Jongin once by asking him out. But Jongin politely refused and agreed to be just friends.

“They’re just friend. It’s okay, Kyungsoo. It’s okay.” She convinced herself.

However her resolve crumbled to the ground when she saw them walking together to the cafeteria on the lunch break. They were talking along the way and smiling to ears.

Kyungsoo couldn’t stand the sight before her anymore. She retraced her steps and ran to the rooftop. All she needed right now is alone time with herself. She didn’t know how long she sat alone on the rooftop. Suddenly her phone ringtone made her conscious of her state. After the ringtone went off after some time, she could see her reflection on the phone screen. Tears stained face pointed out that she’s been crying.

Her phone rang again displaying Baekhyun’s name on the caller ID. She answered this time.

“Hello, Baekhyun.”

“Soo, where are you? Why aren’t you at the canteen yet? We’re waiting for you.”

“Just eat without me, Baek. I’m not feeling well. I’ll skip lunch today.”

“Are you okay, Soo? Where does it hurt? I’ll come to you right now. Where’re you at?”

“No, Baek. I’ll be fine. It’s just period cramps. Don’t worry about me,” she lied. It’s more than cramps. Her heart is aching now.

“Are you sure, Soo? Wait, I will. ..”

“I’m really okay, Baek. I just need a rest for a while.”

“Okay, if you say so. Just call me immediately if you’re feeling worse.”

“Ok, thanks Baek. Enjoy your meal.”

 

Baekhyun hung up the phone. Everyone at the table was waiting for her response since they overheard a piece of conversation.

“Kyungsoo’s not feeling well today. She’s not eating lunch today. She said she’ll rest for a while.”

“Is she hurting a lot? Where does she hurt?” Jongin enquired worriedly.

“She said it’s not that bad. She just wanted to rest for a while in the meantime.” Baekhyun reassured him.

Jongin was not convinced though. He started dialing Kyungsoo’s number. But his call was unanswered.

“Don’t worry, Jongin. She will take care of herself.” A girl’s voice interrupted his attempt to call again. It’s Soojung. She tagged along with Jongin and was sitting with them today.

“Heol…! Now you get Jongin all for yourself.” Baekhyun thought. It’s a relieve Kyingsoo didn’t come here to witness that. Her cramps will become worse if she saw them together.

 

 

On the rooftop, Kyungsoo saw Jongin’s name flashing on her phone screen. She stared at it until it stop ringing. She didn’t want to see or hear him right now. When the lunch time was over, she went to her next class. Along the way, she walked past the practical class where Jongin was at. She regretted that she looked for the familiar face at the second she saw more than she longed for. It’s Soojung again, sitting beside Jongin having a conversation. Jongin smiling along with her.

 

The next class was the absolute torture. Combination of low sugar level in her system and nauseous feeling of the earlier events made her dizzy. Kyungsoo wished she didn’t skip lunch earlier. That nauseous feeling made her want to puke her gut out. She tried to stand up to get permission to go to restroom. As soon as she stood up from her seat, her vision got blurred and all she saw was blue and white dots against the dark background. She lost her balance and collapse to the ground. She heard faint voice of Baekhyun worriedly calling her name. And then everything went black.