CHAPTER 3

If only

 

When Kyungsoo woke up, she’s alone. A white curtain surrounding her bed and a cannula inserted on the back of her hand, she’s in the campus infirmary. She looked at the fluid bottle that’s being infused into her vein. Not much left. Looking at the rate at which fluid was run into her system, she must have been here for about 30 minutes.

She heard a footstep and suddenly the curtain was lifted revealing her to the intruder. It’s Ms. Jang.. school nurse.

“Hey, girl. Are you awake already? How do you feel now?”

“Um.. still a little dizzy.” Kyungsoo replied.

“That’s the consequence of skipping a meal, girl. Your friend said so. Moreover, you’re on period, aren’t you? It’s not good to starve yourself when you’re on monthly period. Blood loss and low blood sugar level will shrive you.”

“Yes, I’ll remember that. Thank you, Miss.” Kyungsoo weakly answered.

“Alright, it’s almost done. You can go back to your class when it’s done.”

“Okay.”

 

In the classroom, Baekhyun couldn’t sit still. She’s worried for Kyungsoo although Ms. Jang said not to worry too much. It’s just hypoglycemia and Her friend will be better soon. She was told to return to her class.

As soon as the professor concluded today’s lecture, Baekhyun sprinted out of the classroom to the infirmary.

 

In the hallway, Jongin saw her rushing to somewhere.

“Hey, Baekhyun. Slow down. Where’re you heading to?” Jongin grabbed her hand and asked noticing her worry struck face.

“Kyungsoo’s in infirmary, Jongin. She fainted during the class.” Baekhyun paused just to answer him and continued her way before waiting for his response.

It took a second for Jongin to register what he’s just heard. And then he’s sprinting towards the infirmary.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo wasn’t expecting Jongin when she heard another set of footsteps behind the curtains. But here he was. Jongin looked out of breath, seemed like he ran to here.

“Soo, are you okay? How’re you feeling now?”

“I’m fine now, Jongin.” Kyungsoo was a little surprised from his sudden appearance, but she replied anyway.

“God! I was so worried about you.”

Kyungsoo was glad that Jongin still cared about her.

That evening, Jongin waited for her to go home. They took the same bus and Jongin walked her home. Jongin no longer mad at her anymore and Kyungsoo’s heart became warm under care of Jongin.

 

 

The following days returned back to routine. Kyungsoo called Jongin at six in the morning to wake him up and get ready for University. They have lunch together at the cafeteria. In the evening, Jongin walked her home after they got off the bus. Jongin was taking extra care of her. Kyungsoo thought she was on heaven at such moments.

Occasionally, Soojung would join them at lunch. She didn’t like it. But she didn’t have the right to tell her back off. She played along with it. Jongin had brought along a few other friends in the past too. But this is a different case. Soojung was obviously in love with him. She would always try to steal his attention away from Kyungsoo. One day, Kyungsoo invited him to group study with Baekhyun, Minseok and Sehun.

“I’ll think about it.” That’s what he answered. Anyway, the next exam was still far away.

“Ok. Come to Baek’s home at two on Saturday if you want.” Kyungsoo informed him.

They were hanging out at their usual place. Baekhyun cracking at Jongdae’s joke. Jongdae was their new friend from Jongin’s practical class. He tagged along with Jongin today. Minseok listening carefully to what Sehun was explaining about the game he’s playing. Jongin was browsing the facebook and beside him, Kyungsoo was reading a novel leaning against the tree. A shadow casted upon the book she’s reading and she looked up who the intruder was.

“Hi! Soojung, what’s brought you here?” she greeted the person smiling although a little bit disappointed at her appearance.

All the others were now greeting the new come person. Soojung took a seat next to Jongin.

“Jongin, I’m going to a dance competition taking place in downtown on coming Saturday. Will you go with me? It’ll be fun.” Soojung invited him.

Kyungsoo was eavesdropping on their conversation pretending to be immersed in her book.

“What time?” Jongin asked.

“It’s 3 in the evening. Will you come? I promise you won’t regret it.”

“Okay, sure.”

 

Kyungsoo noticed Jongin didn’t even hesitate to reply. Kyungsoo couldn’t even pretend to be reading anymore and glanced at their direction. Jongin was oblivious to her stare, chatting happily with Soojung. Disappointment and jealousy was consuming her so badly that she didn’t want to stay near them even for a second. She closed her book, stood up and left without telling anyone.

Her heart felt as heavy as her steps when she went home alone that day.

 

 

 

A/N : i'm sorry. this chapter is short. I'll try to write longer in the next chapter. Thank you for reading <3