-FIVE-

Going Home

hi. it had to be this long. im still glad you are all reading this. thank you as always.

are you guys coming to diamond edge? cause i will be. i guess it's a see you. :) 

 

----------

 

Mirrors 
(Inspired by Justin Timberlake)


It suddenly rained.

Jeonghan walked hurriedly. He ended up running anyway. 

The shouts that were clamped while he was at the cafe burned him, burned his throat, burned his eyes. He knew once Seungcheol shows up at his door, it would be the end. If he had to cry it all day, it will be just today. 

'I wish'.

The sound of the wind chime brings Jeonghan back to present - the same place he lost everything. He has not seen him since the guy said he can't go back. The memories he thinks he lost are resurfacing.

"Hi Jisoo! One mocha latte please," 

"Hey Jeonghan," Jisoo's deer eyes glints. "Something happened?" 

"Nope. Just some office work," 

"Really? Is this to go?" 

"Yeah. One frappe too," 

"Yeah for my 'really' or the question after that? I got the frappe part," Jisoo smiles connivingly. 

"Ah Shua, nothing. You're worrying again," Jeonghan opts to look at the cakes on display. 

"On whose fault?" Wonwoo coughs to the wind. 

"Ha. Ha," Jeonghan guffaws. 

---

"Hyung?" Mingyu is staring at his phone for an hour now after his dramatic exit. He picks it up when he read the name.

"Yeah, okay. I got you." He wants to message Jun or Jeonghan about what happen. But when he starts to key in letters, he ends up deleting everything again. What could he say right?

"No it's okay. I got nothing on my hands right now. It's no big deal. I miss the kid too!" It's damn confusing though. It is not as if he wants to impress anyone. But remembering Jeonghan's reaction... Mingyu sighs once more.

 

To Boss, Jun-nim
Im fine. Im okay now. Im sorry i left early. Will report tomorrow. Really sorry.

Sent.

 

Mingyu slips his phone back to his back pocket. 

---

Jeonghan finally gets the courage to open the door. His head is demanding him to take the medicine too. After some time between mopping, dying from embarassment and living to his horrendous reality again, he gives up and picks from Mingyu's cabinet for clothes.

He sees the tall guy bending down the refrigerator. As if on cue, their eyes meet.

"Hi," Mingyu raises a hand at mid-air. His eyes light up, Jeonghan observes. He holds a carton of milk and walks to the counter. "I know you dont want my clothes and you're probably excited to go home. But please, eat first. Huh?"

Jeonghan thinks Mingyu is homely. The feeling he never felt for a long time now. Endearing. Maybe if he was watching this very scene from a drama right now, he would shed little tears. He shakes his head. 

"In other countries, when people shake their head, it would mean yes. Let's say we're there. Yeah?" His forehead creases which Jeonghan would want to put his finger on.

His thoughts, the situation make him chuckle. Before he could even think, he blurts, "This feels like after . Haha."

---

Although he did not drink any prior to their present conversation, Mingyu chokes. 

"After s-? I told you, promise, pinky swear, I never - I did not -" he hears nothing but his own heart beat, drumming against his rib cage.

Jeonghan laughs heartily. "Okay.  This hangover is making me hungry. Im gonna eat well." He takes the seat adjacent to his.

"I swear-"

"Mhm-hmm -Jeonghan reaches his shoulder and taps him a few times- the kids left me with you so you must be trustworthy," 

The sun beams and shines on Jeonghan's lovely cheeks which makes Mingyu think the sun itself is taunting him.

It teases him to fall.

His heart will likely melt. 

 

Dangerous.

 

"They still have class,"

"Going to class with hangovers? I think i did that before too," 

"I never -

"I wasn't proud of that too. But i can laugh about it now. Just like waking up and was told about preference,"

Although he consumes his food slowly throughout their present interaction, Mingyu still chokes. 

Jeonghan gets another wave of laughter. Mingyu, on the other hand, is taken aback by this bruteness. The blood has accumulated and centers on his cheeks. He is blushing so much. 

"I got questions," the long-haired beauty puts his spoon down. 

"Shoot. Im all ears," Mingyu puts his utensils down. 

"How do you know my name? Before. The first time we met," 

"Is this the getting-to-know-you part? We'll really gonna end up together," Mingyu grins.

Now is Jeonghan's turn to choke. 

---

"Can you guys do me favor? I want to go out," Jeonghan announces as he sips the last of his coffee. Jisoo stops from checking the cakes. 

"Jeonghan-" he hears Jisoo's voice soften. 

"I told Jun to pick his drink himself," he stands.

"Don't get yourself in trouble," Wonwoo says squeezing Jeonghan's arm lightly. 

"You guys act-couple so much. It's making me cringe," Jeonghan shrivels to emphasize his point. 

"Figuratively, I'm your natural dad and Jisoo's your literal nagger dad," 

"Ya!"

The scrunch Wonwoo's nose makes every time he laughs is Jisoo's first topic when he first told Jeonghan about them.

---

"Im here for Lee Chan," Mingyu says as he presents his identification card to the teacher. This writing project has been stressing him. Or the editor himself is the cause of his stress. 

"Uncle Gyu! Uncle Gyu!" Chan, five, bounces up and down at the sight of him. He has been the babysitter when his parents are occupied since the kid was two. 

"Ah did our Channie grow?" He kneels on one knee and places his palm on his head. Mingyu squints his eyes as if reading an invisible measure. Little Chan, on the other hand, stands straight as he can and sneaks a little tiptoe here and there. "Oh you did!" 

"Yeah," the child is back to his bouncing again. 

"What do you want to eat?" He scoops him and bows to the teacher. 

"Ice cream," Mingyu screams inside. The kid is so cute. "But," Chan rummages in his bag. The lines between his brows are a little deep that Mingyu stops walking. 

"What is it?" 

"Dad says he wants to go places when he has time - still going through his bag - but he's been very busy. I want to surprise him. Please help me uncle." He stops and looks at him with big, glittering, round eyes. 

"Let's do that."

---

"Hi," a small voice pulls Jeonghan back to reality. He has been standing in front of this large mollusks aquarium since he has entered the ocean park. Being lost in space and time is his specialty. He looks around and sees no one. Perhaps he needs that small voice to wake him up. Or it was his consciousness looking after him. Or the voice of the people he has been worrying when they should have not. He sighs big time. 

"I remember my other uncle while looking at them," Jeonghan looks down to see a kid who's higher than his knee staring at the octopi fondly. Both hands stick to the glass. His eyes following the animal's languid gliding. He laughs inwardly. 

"You must like this uncle," he chooses to kneel at the level of the kid's height. 

"He's okay. But he can be so - the kid looks at him, Jeonghan's heart skips a beat - you know, very adult," he has this expression of someone tolerating something much to his dislike. "I dont want to disrespect because you are an adult too."

This fidgetting and this hesitance of doing-anything-that-might-hurt reminds Jeonghan of Mingyu, but that intense look is of somebody else not too unfamiliar with him.

"This adult must love you though," he smiles warmly. 

"I think so too," the kid beams at him. 

"Ah we could still see the octopus moving from that bench and i think there's a little light show at this time. Do you wanna tell me more of this uncle?" 

"My papa said i should not talk to strangers," the kid steps one big step away from him. 

"Your dad is right. Sorry," 

"My papa makes me remember that always," 

"Wonderful dad,"

"Dad's a little busy right now," the kid's voice changes. "He usually takes me to places."

"Ah your papa works hard for you," 

"But i like to be with him sometimes too. Sleeping with my papa. Playing and going around with my dad. But i dont want to be a demanding kid. Sometimes i wanna grow fast so i'll be in-charge of providing the family," 

For a kid to think that much, Jeonghan should be ashame of his attitude bursts. He should talk to Mingyu when he gets back. "Ahm, Im not sure about this, but do you want a hug?" 

"Im not crying sir," the kid furiously wipes his eyes.

"Well i think i need the hug," Jeonghan sits crossing his legs. He sees the kid biting his lower lip.

"If you could let me hold your ID, maybe i can give you a hug."

"That's sly - he fishes his security card from his wallet -  here," Jeonghan offers his, holding his wrist. 

He could think of those black organizations that use children in monkey businesses. And he could be one of those victims today. But all these doubts flies away when the kid spreads his arms wide. 

The joke is on you Jeonghan. See, this kid is in pain yet he can give a part of himself. You told him you need his hug but truthfully you were tricking him, playing with his guilt. "What's your name?"

"Lee Chan," answers the kid who found his spot on Jeonghan's neck. 

Warmth. Outside, the rain finally stops.

---

"D'you have something i could use for my soiled clothes?" 

Mingyu inclines to laughing a little when he told Jeonghan he was wearing his name on his shirt that night. It was pure coincidence but the loveliest risk. He gives him a paper bag.

"And ahm - coughs - i think i left my bag at Soonyoung's, if you know him - Mingyu looks at him - well i know your place. Lend me money, please? Just for the taxi. I will give it back," 

"Oh. You live next door. Don't you know?" 

"What?" 

 

 

 

---

seriously, thank you for reading.