Red Dress

You Are My Possession

Admin's note: Thank you to those subscribing to this story though I'm pretty sure there are some grammar or spelling mistakes but I will fix it when I have time. Also, thank you to kinsenka for the upvote. I appreciate it.


She has her head in her hands and her elbows propped on the table. Jungmi still can’t believe at what happened earlier this morning. She can’t believe he appeared once again in front of her after a few years of being away. Why? Why did he come back?

She thought everything was over the moment he walked out of the door five years ago. Why did he come back as the CEO in this company she is working in? Is he trying to destroy her life after all those moments she tried so hard to get stronger? What is his intention right now?

Questions keep popping up into her mind. But one thing she knows, she can’t quit from this company just because of he is the CEO. People will think she is weak. He will think that she is weak. Well, it’s not like she will meet him anytime soon. He is the CEO of the company now but that doesn’t mean they will bump each other every now and then. He is the busiest guy in town now so it does make sense if they don’t meet each other at all.

“Ms. Jeon, please come into my office now”. Jungmi lifts her head up lazily before letting out a soft sigh. To be honest, she does not have the mood to talk to anyone or even move from her seat. She doesn’t even feel like going to toilet even if she wants to. But because of her duty towards her one and only boss, Mr. Im, she stands up from her chair and makes her way into his office.

“Yes, Mr. Im. May I help you with anything,” she asked, trying so hard to not make it obvious that she doesn’t have any mood to do anything right now. Thanks to Shin Hoseok, also known as Wonho. Jaebum lift his head from the paper he is currently reading before flashes her a soft smile, making Jungmi blinks her eyes for a few moments. Due to her observations ever since she works under him, Im Jaebum is a man who didn’t really smile to anyone. To be honest, it makes her surprise but she didn’t show it.

“I want you to accompany me to the party tonight”. Oh, right. She totally forgot that the company will be having a party to celebrate the new CEO also knows as Mr. Shin. Now, she has to accompany this guy to the party. Perks of being a secretary aren’t always full of rainbows. Sometimes there will be rain and thunder, just like what she is experiencing right now.

She bites the inner of her cheeks, trying to suppress her anger. “I’m sorry, Mr. Im but can I be excluded from the party?” Her words makes Jaebum’s frown and it is obvious enough for her to know that he is unsatisfied with what she just said. Jungmi’s eyes fall onto the floor. She begins to regret what she just said just now. Oh god, she doesn’t like the tension in the room right now. She feels like her boss can explode anytime soon.

“I want to say yes but sadly, we already make a reservation for you and it is too late to cancel it since the party will begin in another six hours”. Jungmi’s mood decreases. Though she only started working here for a few months, it is enough for her to know that this company doesn’t like to cancel any event or reservations in less than 24 hours. It’s not like they can’t do it but they want to take care of their image and reputation. This company is one of the biggest companies in South Korea anyway so it’s not impossible if the workers here are taking care of its image.

Jungmi let out another sigh before nodding her head towards Jaebum’s direction, indicating that she will follow him tonight at the party. Jaebum’s eyes soften at her expression. He knows something is wrong right after they met Wonho earlier. He wants to ask her but he is afraid that she is not ready to tell him what’s going on in her beautiful mind.

“You can go home now and freshen up. I will meet you there at eight o’clock at night,” he said then turns his head towards the papers scattered on his table. Jungmi bows her head then walks out of his room and lean her back against the door. Bad things keep happening to her today. First, Wonho decided to appear out of nowhere without any news. Then, she must go to the party where she might bump into him when few minutes ago she just dreamed of not meeting him at all after this morning.

Why did all of these happen to her?

 

His back leans against the chair while his face staring up at the ceiling. He knows she is working in this company. He knows that she is also Im Jaebum’s secretary. He knows everything about her and he didn’t regret meeting her the moment he stepped into this building.

But, he can’t forget the way her eyes looked into his earlier – full of anger and hatred. Did she despise him that much after he walked out of her life? Those eyes used to look at him with love and it never fail to make his stomach full of butterflies. He almost can’t recognize those eyes earlier. She never looks at him like that before.  

He lets out a sigh as his hand reach up to rub his face. She must’ve hates him so much now. It’s not like he can blame her. He made her that way. He made her hate him. His lady hates him right now. Yet, her lips form a soft smile. He knows she was forcing herself to smile but that just prove that she is a lot stronger than before. She changed and get stronger ever since he left her. He can’t get even more proud than he already is right now.

A knock can be heard from outside of his room, making Wonho straighten himself on the chair. “Come in,” he instructed. The door open and reveal his secretary who is holding a tablet in his hand. “Mr. Shin, you need to get ready now. The party will begin shortly.”

Wonho nods his head then get off from his seat and button up his blazer, ready to walk out of this room.

“Let’s go.”

 

A lot of well-known people had gathered in the big ballroom. Not only those who are from the company attend this party but also from other companies and everyone is here for only one reason – to congratulate Shin Hoseok as the new Kim’s Corporation CEO. All except for one who obviously is Jeon Jungmi. She attended this stupid event just because her boss said so. If she is not working as the secretary in the company, no one will ever witness how beautiful she is.

Standing at the entrance is Jeon Jungmi in a sleeveless knee-length red dress. The dress is not too tight but it’s perfect to show of her body curve. She paired the dress with a black high heels shoe and in her hand is a black purse to complete the look. She put on a simple and natural make up. It’s not like she came here to hunt for boys or anything. That’s why she doesn’t put on too much product on her face.

She styles her hair in a bun and that makes her look a bit different than she usually is. But, you know what they said – difference can be good sometimes and in her case, it is. She seems a lot more beautiful than she already is. Maybe it’s because of the dress she is wearing. Honestly, she didn’t know what to wear for the party but she found this dress back at her house. She doesn’t remember how it got there.

Jaebum who saw her at the entrance, excuses himself and walks towards Jungmi. As he gets closer to her, he sees what she is wearing and he would be lying to himself if he said that she doesn’t look gorgeous. “Nice dress you got there, Ms. Jeon. You look beautiful tonight.”

A voice makes her turns her head to his direction. Her lips curl up into a shy smile before bowing her head lightly at her boss’s direction. “Thank you for the compliment, Mr. Im. You look great yourself too,” she complimented her, making Jaebum let out a soft chuckle. He then walks beside her and hold out his arm for her to hold. “Let me lead you in,” he said.

Jungmi looks at his arm for a few seconds, debating in her head if she should take it or not but she decided to take it since she doesn’t want to get lost in a big crowd like this. Although she knows almost all of the people in here, she never talked to them before so she finds it hard to communicate with them except when they have business to settle together.

“Ladies and gentlemen, please take a seat in your assigned table,” the mc said and this only mean one thing – Wonho has arrive at the party. All of the people take a seat in their own place, including both Jaebum and Jungmi. After finding their own place, a projector slowly rolling down from the ceiling and few seconds later, a video appeared and it’s all about Kim’s Corporation’s achievements.

Everyone’s eyes are so focus on the video except for Jungmi. Her eyes keep looking down at the table. She still feels not good after what happened earlier this morning. She still can’t grasp completely what is happening. She still thinks that all of these are only a dream and she has to wake up sooner or else, things will get worse.

Sensing like there is something wrong, Jaebum reaches his hand to hold Jungmi’s tightly. She turns her head to look at him but his eyes are focus at the video. Yet, he is gently caressing the back of her hand with his thumb, hoping it will help her calm down a little bit.

After the video ended, everyone in the hall clap their hands, as usual. The mc is already standing behind the lectern. As soon as everyone finished clapping their hands, the mc bend slightly so that he can speak from the microphone. “Now, I present to you, Kim’s Corporation’s new CEO, Mr. Shin Hoseok.”

The announcement is followed by a lot of claps and some of them even cheering for the said man. Jungmi just sit there. Her face doesn’t have any emotion. Wonho stands up from his chair and move to behind the lectern, ready to give his words.

Although people are listening to him talking about how he felt so honoured to stand there and what he will do for the company with smiles on their faces, Jungmi just keep staring at him. If looks could kill, he would be dead by now. He might be talking about how grateful he is to gain such position but in Jungmi’s head, she keeps remembering the moment where he left her.

 

There he is, standing there in nothing but a hoodie and jeans. In his hand is his luggage full of his things and he slings his backpack over his shoulder, ready to leave soon. She is speechless. She didn’t know what to say to him. After a lot of times they had spent together, he decided to leave her just like that. She didn’t know where she went wrong. Was it her fault for him to treat her like this?

With his hood covering his head and the rain pouring down from the sky, he walked out of the house, leaving all memories both of them had together. She wanted to run to him and grabbed his arms, preventing him to leave her. She wanted to reach for him and told him that she will be better. She will take care of him. She will protect him. But, she couldn’t. She had to let him go because that was what it said on the piece of paper on the table.

“I’m sorry but I have to leave you. I’m really sorry for doing this to you, Jungmi – Wonho.”

 

The sound of people cheering and clapping their hands woke her up from her own memory. She turns her head to the stage and sees that Wonho had finished his speech not too long ago and it is time for everyone to enjoy themselves. Some of the guests are chatting with each other. Some of them are drinking. Some of them are on the dance floor, dancing to the slow song.

But Jungmi didn’t feel like doing any of those things so she excuse herself, saying that she needs some air before walking out of the hall not realizing that Wonho’s eyes are currently following her movements until she disappears. He turns to face the people he is currently talking to you before flashing his charming smile that can melt any ladies’ hearts. “I’m sorry but will you excuse me? I need to go to toilet,” he said before making his way out to find the lady in the red dress.

 

Jungmi looks up at the sky. The stars are looking so beautiful tonight but her day is not as beautiful as those beautiful things. She is currently at the balcony, not far from the hall but enough to prevent any of the sounds to get into her ears. Her stomach feels so empty since she didn’t get to eat anything but she doesn’t feel like having any foods.

Memories of Wonho together with her keep popping into her mind every single time, which just make her mood even worse than it already is. Why did he come back? She needs the answer to that question ever since she met him earlier. All these years, she thought everything will be fine and perfect but now, it feels like everything she did to herself just shattered. Things that she had built for few years are now destroyed in only a few seconds.

She lets out a frustrated sigh as her hands supporting her head. Suddenly, she heard someone clearing its throat making her turns her body to face him. “What did a beautiful woman like you doing alone out here?”

Jungmi eyes widen slightly before bowing down her head. She can’t believe that he is standing in front of her right now. She can’t believe that the son of Park’s Corporation CEO is standing right in front of her right now. Besides Wonho, this man is also one of the dream guys of all ladies in Kim’s company. He is Park Jinyoung, the vice president of Park’s Corporation that had been working together with Kim’s since few years ago.

The man isn’t muscular but his face and his charms are enough to make women swoon over him – obviously including our little Jeon Jungmi. “I’m sorry I didn’t notice you, sir”. Her words make him chuckle lightly. “Just call me Jinyoung,” he said. The girl just nods her head.

He looks up at the sky and smile to himself. “The stars are really pretty tonight…” his head fall on Jungmi’s face before continuing his words, “… just like you”. His compliment makes the lady’s cheeks turn red like the dress she is wearing right now. She didn’t know what to say so she just bows her head lightly at him. “Thank you, Jinyoung.”

“So, are you here alone?” Jungmi shakes her head. “I came here with my boss, Mr. Im Jaebum.” Hearing what she said, Jinyoung suddenly took an interest on her and he wants to talk to her even more. “You must be Jeon Jungmi then.” She nods her head.

“I’ve heard a lot about you but I didn’t expect you to be so gorgeous,” he said. Jungmi’s lips curl up into a small smile. It’s not weird to hear that to be honest. Ever since she got the job as Jaebum’s secretary, lots of people are talking about her and all because she is a secretary to one of the most choosey bosses ever. “I’ve heard a lot about you too, Mr. Park.”

Jinyoung knows his position but somehow, he is attracted to her. Was it because of her looks? No, it can’t be since what he is feeling right now is much more than when he was surrounded by beautiful looking girls. He never feels so attracted to someone like how he is attracted to the girl in front of him right now. She is gorgeous and everything but something inside him telling him to get closer to her for she is holding something much more than just being a beautiful woman.

He was about to open his mouth to say something but another voice interrupted both of them. “Jinyoung, I didn’t know that you are here. No wonder I didn’t see you inside.”

Jungmi swallows her saliva when she heard that voice. She didn’t have to lift her head to see whose voice does that belonged to. As for Jinyoung, he turns his body to face the celebrated guy who is standing at the door. He flashes him a grin before walking up to Wonho and pull him into a bro hug.

“Congratulations for the position, Wonho. You deserved it,” Jinyoung said. Wonho smile softly at him then pat his shoulder gently. “Thanks man. Go inside. There are a lot of activities going on.”

Jinyoung glance at Jungmi once before turning his head to Wonho again and nods his head at his words. He then makes his way back into the hall, leaving Wonho and Jungmi outside together, which obviously a wrong thing to do.

Both Jungmi and Wonho just stare at each other as if they are in a battle and they are waiting for either one of them to lose. She looks into his eyes and she is not sure if it’s just her or there is a hint of longing in it. Taking the safe way, she just shakes off that thought. He can’t possibly miss her since he is the one who left her, willingly. Maybe it’s just her imagination.

But what she knows is that she doesn’t want to be alone with him outside here. She is not ready for that kind of thing yet. Without wasting any time, she makes her way just to stop the moment she reached next to him because of his words. “Have you been doing well?”

Jungmi’s hands had curled into a fist and her jaw clench at his words. Have her been doing well? That’s his questions after five years of leaving her alone and suddenly come back without any news? Oh, wow. She is very impress right now. She wants to yell at him, scream at him, let out his anger and frustration at him but she can’t. She has to act professional to show that she is not the same lady as she was before.

Without turning her head, she opens . “Sorry, I don’t talk to people like you.”

Her words make his lips curl up into a smirk. She had always been sassy and feisty before but wow, he still can’t get over this attitude of hers. It attracts him to her even more. She thought he won’t say anything to her anymore but she is wrong. The moment he turns his body to face her side, he leans down a little bit to whisper into her ear.

“Nice dress by the way,” he said, still with the same smirk plastered on his face before he walks away to get back to his own party where a lot of people are waiting for him. She had always wonder how did she has those dress but after what he whispered, she remember something.

The dress that she is wearing right now was her first valentine present from him to her and it’s in his favourite colour too – red.