D-Day

Semicolon (;)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The morning sky that reflected an even bluer tint today compared to the past few days, was greeted by the gleaming sun flashing a non-bright yellow shade, causing the weather to give off the right amount of warmth to caress my skin—a perfect timing for my big day ahead.

I bustled around the unit, readying myself for my first day of school in…no matter how long it has been. But I do know it hasn’t been a month…or so I guess.

All sorts of things sprinkled around my room as I delved for the stuff I needed for school—and also, for clothes to wear. A pile of clothes were tossed everywhere, including books, notebooks, and some other stuff, turning my room into a complete disaster, barely leaving a space to walk on.

Obviously, I didn’t bother preparing ahead of time as I was not the slightest bit anticipating this day. I was too busy with other things for the past few days…such as worrying, dreading, and cursing this day.

It’s stunning how Mina greatly affects me that I feel obliged to heed to her requests, no matter what the damn hell it is. I wouldn’t even budge if it was just anyone—not even grandma could shake me. That’s how obstinate I was. Quaint enough, only Mina has this effect on me.

“Finally!” I exclaimed in rejoice when I finally took a hold of the history book needed for today’s class (the last out of the eight things I was looking for), which I found in the farthest corner under my bed. I slipped my head out from under my bed and sat upright. I shook off the dust on the cover of the book. I can’t believe it took me ten minutes to search for this book.

I tilted my head to my side and reached for my backpack settled on my bed sheet, and just tossed the book in, not bothering to arrange it along with the other contents. I rose up from the floor, zipped my bag and slid the straps on my shoulder. With my hands still clutching the straps of my backpack, I walked to the mirror and did a final check of my reflection.

I first checked my attire. I’m clothed in my uniform (white blouse layered by a black vest and a coat paired with a pale gray skirt, and adorned with a red-checkered bow tie dangling just below my neck collar).

Wow. It feels like forever since I last wore this.

I then darted my gaze on my face. I leaned closer to the mirror—dark circles bulging under my eyes, utterly noticeable dry, pale, wrinkled lips, and a damp hair. I grimaced at myself in disgust.

“Disgusting,” I muttered under my breath as I shook my head.

I then let out a hoot. “Well, this is it,” I shrugged.

I turned around and gaped at the sight of the mess scattered all over the place. This is the second time today I gave out a grimace. I hopped gingerly through the mess with the tip of my toes to avoid stomping on important stuff. After stepping out of the doorway, I let out a sigh and a ’Thank God’ from my mouth. I persisted heading off.

As the morning sunlight caressed me as I burst through the door leading me outside the building, seeing the busy street, I held my breath for a fleeting moment, clutching tighter on the straps of my backpack, feeling a prickle of nervousness in my chest. I let it all out with a sigh and a shrug. I then took a step forward and loosened my grip on the straps. I squared my shoulders and continued sauntering off to school.

Mina has started her therapy session yesterday. Mrs. Myoui quitted her job already. She can finally focus her full attention on Mina. That therapy…would that really help her get better? Will needles be pierced through her body, or does she have to be put to sleep while the doctors do some examinations on her? Or will long thin tubes be latched on her wrists and chest? I see those kinds of things on TV. Oh, will there be a surgery? ….

Those thoughts came flooding in as I headed off to school, vaguely aware of everything around me as I walked and only upon the sight of the signage hovering a few distance away above me which embossed the letters ‘Seorin High’ that snapped me back to reality.

“,” I blurted out upon the realization. “I’m here,” I whiningly announced to myself.

I shuffled off inside, passing through the black grills where a guard posted—who was glancing nonchalantly at every student that comes in, seemingly uncaring even if an outsider sneaks in.

Since it’s been almost a month since I last went to school, for a second I felt like an outsider that I actually stiffened as I passed through the grills, afraid that the guard would notice me. I breathed a deep sigh as I made it past those grills. I motioned myself to walk, scuffing my shoes against the ground.

It practically felt like a thousand steps before I reached the second floor. I ratcheted along the thin corridor painted in white to search for my classroom, panting.

201-C…202-C…203-C….204-C. Finally!

I stood in front of the door, leaned an ear against it and listened to the chattering inside, squinting my eyes. I could only hear the bees-like muttering of the students. I stood upright, breathed a quick sigh, and turned the knob leading me to hell. I felt my shoulders stiffened and heaved upward as I swung the door open. The chattering ceased as they took notice of the door being opened, and everyone’s heads jerked around to my direction almost in sync. Most are seated on their chairs, some are vertical, and others are sitting on the edge of their tables.

It was the most awkward moment of my life. Everyone gazed at me in silence; no one even move an inch. I was stoned in my place, contemplating to just storm out of this dungeon and never come back. But then, Dahyun’s shrill screams of my name began shooting off in all directions as she approached me, dashing and flailing her arms.

“Chaeyoung-ah!” she cried out as she slapped my arm. “Where have you been? I can’t believe it took you this long to come back,” she whined as she held my right hand thirty degrees up. Everyone’s still staring attentively at me.

“I—” I stuttered, fumbling. “Well…at least I’m back,” I responded with an infirm tone.

She gave off a long hiss and then sighed. “Come on, rest your on your seat,” she advised as she squeezed my hand. She then dragged me gently towards my seat, and everyone’s gaze still seems to be fixed on me as I sat.

“Do well today,” Dahyun cheered with a smile. I returned a half smile. She then petted my head and went off to her seat.

I slid my backpack down and placed it under my table. The atmosphere felt so stifling with everyone’s eyes pierced on me. I felt my throat ran dry. I pulled out my phone from my coat pocket and keyed a message in for Mina. This is a great idea to lure me out of this awkward situation.

SCY: I’m in school now. 7:46AM

She replied almost instantly.

MMN: Proof :) 7:46AM

SCY: A photo? I’m in class. It’s embarrassing. 7:47AM

MMN: Make ways. 7:47AM

SCY: What a boss… 7:48AM

SCY: Later after class. 7:48AM

MMN: Okay I’ll wait :) 7:48AM

SCY: How’s your therapy going? I’m coming there after class. 7:49AM

 

MMN: It’s going well but don’t come today. 7:49AM

 

SCY: Why not? 7:49AM

MMN: Just focus on your school tasks for now. I’ll tell you when to come. 7:50AM

I was about to grumble to Mina when I noticed someone hovered over me. I ceased typing. I darted my gaze up and saw Jihyo, our class president, beaming at me.

“How have you been?” she asked warmly.

My head twitched along

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter