Stuck

Semicolon (;)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s strange how the world could play you without realizing. Today you might be alive and well, and the next day you’re dying and miserable. Myoui Mina. I wonder where she’s getting the will to live on. I might be cursing the world now if I discovered I’m ill. How can she not hate the world for having to go through something like this? Till when can she put on a smile on her face?

I willed my eyes to open. I didn’t want to be occupied with useless thoughts. I sat up and breathed a sigh. I felt my stomach grumbling. I’m hungry. I sauntered to the kitchen and grabbed a box of cereal, a bowl, a box of milk, and a spoon. I sat and loaded myself up. I’m not sure if the cereal tasted gross or my stomach still refuses to intake anything. I stopped after consuming half of the content. I got up to wash the bowl. The water splashing on my skin felt cold. It felt nice and soothing. I then switched the faucet off after being distracted by a sound. I cocked my ear and focused on the sound.

A knock? Is it Dahyun again? I sighed. I went for the door and got welcomed by a smiling Mina, her gums, shining.

“Hey!” she greeted.

“What are you doing here?” I expressionlessly replied. “And how did you know where my unit was?” I added.

“Well, I saw you talking with a friend yesterday. I just pretended not to see,” she responded with a chuckle.

“Then what are you doing here?”

“You know, it isn’t nice to not let a visitor in,” she reproached.

“And it isn’t nice to come ruining people’s morning,” I retorted.

“Oh come on, we’re kinda close now right?”

“What do you mean? I barely even know you.”

“Don’t be such an . Should I recite everything you told me yesterday about yourself? I can do that. Word for word even,” she daringly replied, grinning.

“Oh shut up.”

“Now come on, let me in.”

“No,” I adamantly refused.

“Come on,” she insisted, jostling me with her shoulder, forcing herself in. I tried to keep still but strangely, she was stronger than me. She won against me.

Wow. She’s strong for someone who’s ill. I thought to myself.

“WOAH,” she exclaimed. I scratched my head with a grimace on my face, aggravated by the situation.

“I’m not sure if this is an apartment or a pigsty. How can you live here?”

“Why do you care?”

She surveyed the room, setting her eyes on everything, and even touching things she finds interesting. She then noticed the photo of my grandma on the shelf and picked it up.

“So this is your grandma?”

 I nodded.

“She’s pretty for her age,” she remarked. My lips curled up a little. She then tilted her head to her left. “Oh! Is that your room?” she asked, then excitedly trotted inside, disorderly leaving my grandma’s photo. I clenched my fingers, wanting to smack someone. I followed her in.

“Wow. What a mess,” she commented as she examined the room. “Are these your drawings?” she asked while pointing at the drawings pasted at the walls.

“Mhm.”

“Wow I didn’t know you could draw.”

“How would you even know when I just met you?”

She chuckled. “Right.”

“What are you doing here anyways?” I asked with a hint of aggravation, starting to lose my temper.

She turned to me. “Uhm..” I stared at her nonchalantly. “I talked to Mom about you and what happened yesterday.”

“So?”  I asked on a rising note.

She blew air. “She wants to invite you for lunch.”

“No,” I instantly declined.

“Oh come on.”

“I said no. What is it for anyways?”

“Uhm, a token of gratitude for helping her daughter out?”

“Thanks, but no thanks.”

“Well okay, I guess I’ll be having lunch here. So what’s for lunch?”

“What?”

“Mom said I should bring you no matter what. So I’m not leaving without you.”

I facepalmed in dismay, sighing. I dropped my hand. “All right. All right. I’m coming.” I agreed, compelled.

She bit her lip in excitement. “Finally! Should we go now?”

I checked the time on the wall clock behind her. “Isn’t it too early for lunch?”

“Hmm.. yeah but that means we can hang right?”

“Where?”

“In my room. Where else?”

I scratched my forehead. “Fine.”

I decided to change clothes before coming with her. I walked alongside with her as we head there. Silence accompanied us on our way, and only our footsteps can be heard. Although both of us were silent, I didn’t sense any awkwardness. Rather, her silent presence made me feel comfortable and at ease. It was interestingly quaint.  And when we finally got into her unit, there was nobody.

“Where’s your mom?” I asked.

“Oh she’ll be back soon.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter