absquatulate

Absquatulate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

  Kim Jennie's abrupt exits duplicated itself minute by minute. Namjoon find it strange how such a brave girl can run away from such an intimate scene that she would usually initiate. Kim Jennie hates it but she can't do anything about it. Her brother was questioning her scent [prior to Namjoon's hug, she smells like peppermint contrasting to her usual lavender scent], and her father's questioning her habit of not wearing pajamas when she goes to sleep. They were questioning why her eye bags were getting darker and bigger each day and why she seems to lack sleep when she sleeps nine hours a day.

  Jennie had to hide Namjoon's texts from her dad sometimes. Namjoon's name in Jennie's contact is "Roseanne~" so her father won't open their inbox. Jennie would always warn her father that Rosé and her would always talk about periods and other girl things, 'causing her father to toss her phone back to her.

  Jennie would consider school her happy place. In school, she gets to hold Namjoon's hand as they walk, hug him in the middle of the corridors, and eat lunch with him at the rooftop. She can be with Namjoon 24/7. Well, at least until her brother comes to pick her up. 

  She would find herself texting her brother that she has a project to complete or an extra-cirricular activity to do, which would result an "okay" back and an extra hour with Namjoon. 

 

  It was one day when the jig was up. Jennie got home late after doing her "project", a smile on her face. The moment she entered the living room, however, she felt the tension in the atmosphere. Jennie was about to greet her dad when she saw him frowning, his arms crossed. She looks at her brother for some explanation but Jin remained stoic. 

  "What's going on?" Jennie asks nervously. "Did you encounter a new business ompetition or something, dad?" Jennie continues to initiate a conversation, Her father's coldness makes her wince.

  "Jennie," her father called coldly, making Jennie jolt. 

  "Yes, Dad?" Jennie was getting more and more nervous. Was it because she failed a small pop quiz in chemistry today? She couldn't help it, really. Namjoon looked so perfect as he was contradicting their teacher's explanation that she forgot to finish her paper and just watched Namjoon's debate with Mr. Kim.

  "You don't have any secrets from me, right?" Her dad asks. 

   Jennie gulped. "Of course, Dad!" She giggles nervously. "I always tell you everything, don't I?" Jin shook his head at her answer, making Jennie's hands sweaty. She just gave the wrong answer.

  Jennie's dad suddenly threw a few paper on the coffee table, making Jennie look. She realized it was pictures-- 

  "D-dad..." Jennie starts, her eyes widening.

  The pictures were their pictures.

  "D-dad... I can explain!" Jennie immediately defended herself, looking at her father's eyes. However, her father's eyes showed no mercy as he stood up, his closed fists were shaking with fury as he resists the urge to hurt her.

  "The vandalizing and stealing were one thing, but dating Kim Namjoon?!" His dad frustratedly screamed, looking at her daughter in anger. "Are you out of your mind?!" Her dad sfrustratedly asks, making her squirm.

  "Dad-"

  "You don't know how much me and your brother had to explain in the meeting when this was presented by an affiliate! My reputation came to an all-time low, Jennie!" Her dad continues, pacing back and forth. 

  Jennie was about to speak when her dad beat her to it. "Imagine, the daughter of the famous CEO of KJ Corporation doing illegal things- your brother and I made a lot of excuses and lies at that meeting!" Her dad's voice thundered louder and louder. "We didn't know any of this- we didn't know why- why our precious angel would do such a thing! We thought you were badly framed to the point that we accused the presenters of photoshopping the pictures!" 

  "You're a huge disappointment, Kim Jennie," her father spats, finally looking her in the eye. And there, Jennie sees a tear rolling down to his cheek- dropping at the purple carpet. She faced the floor, afraid of her father.  "To think that you're my daughter- I'm glad your mom doesn't have to see you like this, she would've probably been so disappointed." 

  It wasn't the screams and anger that made her burst. It wasn't even her father claiming that she was a disappointment to him. It was the way that he brought in her mother to the conversation. 

  "I know that I'm not the best out there and that you're disappointed of me right now," Jennie exhales sharply. "But don't bring mom into this." She said through gritted teeth. 

  Her dad stayed quiet, and that urged Jennie to continue. "As far as I remember, my mom wanted me to be myself," Jennie whispers, loud enough for the two men to hear. "My mom is your typical and classy uptown girl. You might have wanted me to grow like her but she didn't." She confessed. Her dad's eyes widened at the realization.

  Jennie continues to speak as the memory kicked in. "The night mom asked me to come to her room and lay by her side, she told me to never grow up like her." Jennie voices, the memory still flashing in. It was fresh as if it just happened yesterday. "It was her last night here on Earth. She said to me to always be yourself and don't live as someone you're not." The room was silent and the tension was still there. "I'm not saying that I didn't like the way you raised me, I like you Dad- you and Seokjin. You're my family, of course I'll always love you."

  "Why you- you still have the nerve to say that when-"

  "Let's both stop this now," Jin interrupted. "Let's just rest and talk about it in the morning, we're disturbing the neighbors-"

  "No!" Jennie slices his suggestion short. "You don't understand! I don't like being this-" she pointed at her uniform, "classy girl with certain regards for the rules. Even if you think that Namjoon is a bad influence, I like the world he introduced me. In that world, I'm free. In that world, I learned that rules were made to be broken." She continues on in spite of her voice slowly giving up on her. "I like him, Dad. And for the first time, I'm gonna fight. I'm gonna tell you how I want to live my life." 

  "Mom would be happy for me. She'll stick by my side and defend me." She whispers softly.

  And bam! It all happened too fast. Her father's hand hit her cheek, resulting a loud sound. Her cheek was red, and it ached. Jennie looked at her dad in surprise. Her dad suddenly raised his hands in surprise but Jin immediately came in between them.

  "I know you're mad at her," he says. "But don't hurt her. She's your daughter for heaven's sake!" Jennie looked at Jin in great surprise.

  "Jennie-ah," her dad said softly, although Jennie could tell it was forced.

  "I hate you," she blinked back her tears and ran away. And for the first time, she didn't felt guilty of absquatulating.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter