Chapter 1

Dying Embers

A/N: Was in a rush for this one. Probably have several grammatical errors and misspelled words. Please point out if you see one. Other than that, hope you enjoy. 



CHAPTER I



Tianchao at day is a peaceful kingdom.

Under the scorching sun and by the calm ocean breeze, residents go about with their daily tasks. There is order in the community and people strictly follow rules and traditions. Fights among neighbors occur but they are minimal. People live in peace and harmony together within the security of the walls of Tianchao.

Tianchao at day is a peaceful kingdom.

Tianchao at night is a quiet kingdom.

When the moon reigns the sky and the ocean breeze is warm, the people live in their tranquil dreams. They rest from the day of work, and conserve energy for another. Seldom, there are lights and music when special occasions call for celebrations. But more often than not, the night means silence.

Silence in Tianchao is peace for its residents.

But it spells danger for the King.

The night is where the darkness reigns, and in the darkness, so many things are kept hidden. There is harm in things kept secret, and the King fears the unknown for the unknown brings many possibilities.

He fears the possibility of theft within his palace. He fears the possibility of treachery. He fears the possibility of an intrusion. He fears the possibility of an attack. But most of all, he fears of a possibility that in the silence of the night, his son’s heartbeat will fade into that very quietness.

The King loves his only child dearly that he treats him as the most precious gem this world could ever possess. He grants the Prince’s every wish and command in a snap. He never lets him raise a finger or work for his own sake, he makes sure everything is served to his son in a silver plate.

But as the King may pamper the Prince with everything he can give, there is one thing the Prince truly desires that the King could not dare offer to him.

Freedom.

“Many nights we’ve fought over the same matter, Luhan. But my answer will remain the same.” The King said firmly, speaking in a stern tone he rarely used against his only son, “You are forbidden to step foot outside the palace grounds.”

“But why not, father? There are several other young men around my age and even younger who have traveled many lands.” The Prince argued exasperatedly, “And don’t use the excuse of me being a prince, because I am quite aware that we get visitors from other Kingdoms’ princes so what makes me so different from them that I cannot even be permitted to venture my own Kingdom?”

“Because you are my only son and I forbid to let you out into a world of predators that would devour you like a fawn!” The King replied, raising his voice, “You could get yourself killed out there so it’s best that you stay protected within the safety of the palace.”

“Don’t treat me as if I’m some princess in need of protection or a damsel in distress! I don’t have a witch after me nor dragons guarding my tower like those old fairytales in the library, and I am perfectly capable of handling myself!” Luhan insisted, “Besides, Tianchao is like the safest place in the world because of how paranoid you are with safety and order. It’s not like someone’s off to cut my head off when I leave this pala—“

“You know nothing.” The King interrupted his sentence, “Luhan, I will and have given you everything that you have ever asked, but this time grant my plea. Don’t ever leave this palace and never question the extremes I am willing to go through just to prioritize your safety.”

“I don’t need the things you gave to me. You can take them back for all I care!” The Prince glared harshly at his father, “All I want is freedom. No one wants to be locked in here forever. I swear the longer I’m in here, the more I go crazy.”

“Well, I’d rather have a crazy son than a dead one.” The King said, much to the Prince’s dismay. “You can have everything else that you want and I will gladly offer them to you. The only condition I ask is for you to stay inside this place and be contented.”

The Prince, who had tears of anger and frustration swell up in his eyes, was about to insist once again. But before he was given chance to speak, the King told him, “I will hear no more about this foolish demand, Luhan. If I hear you say a word about it, then I may have to consider disciplining you for once.”

Shortly after he said this, however, the King’s eyes soften at the sight of his son’s tearful eyes. The Prince was breathing heavily and he was holding his tears back out of pride. Deciding that the conversation was over, the King greeted, “Good night.”

Not bothering to reply, Luhan turned his back on his father and ignored the man until he left the chamber without receiving any response from his son.

When he was left alone, the Prince rubbed his eyes angrily, berating himself for almost shedding tears. “Stupid tears,” he muttered. “Now my stupid father’s even more convinced that I can’t take care of myself.”

For a few moments, the Prince wallowed himself in self-pity and frustration. He muttered under his breath, cursing and complaining everything in his short and dull life. In his afflicting state, he lost track of time and soon fell asleep with those words filling his mind.

 


 

The Prince was awoken from his slumber when he heard a low voice that he could not recognize. A little groggy, he blinked once and twice before he finally realized another presence in his room. He turned to the person in haste but was silenced when a blade was held against his neck.

Confusion and panic filled the Prince’s mind but when the man moved out of the shadow and into the light, Luhan’s eyes widened as he stared into the man’s piercing orbs. There were several questions in his mind but he was unable to voice them out as the intruder spoke in a low voice, “Do not make a sound,” he said. “If you yell or scream, I will have no choice but to hurt you. Do you understand?”

Luhan was about to nod when he realized that there was a blade by his neck, so he said in the softest voice he could muster, “Yes.”

Without a sound, the intruder motioned for the Prince to rise from his sitting position and told him to keep his hands behind his back. Without removing the blade from his neck, the intruder took a rope out and skillfully bounded the Prince’s hands.

The Prince’s eyes darted to every corner of the room, looking for a way to escape and contemplating whether he should call for help or not. However, when his minimum movements made his skin come in slight contact with the cold surface of the blade, he halted all his thoughts of escape and his heart raced against his chest.

“I know what you’re thinking.” The intruder whispered from behind, “I suggest you don’t do it. You wouldn’t want me to scar you, Your Highness.”

The sudden mention of his title awakened the pride within the Prince and he mustered the courage to speak in the calmest voice he could manage at the moment, “If you bring harm to me, it will be your life that you will lose.” The Prince felt the blade pressed harder against his skin, “You don’t scare me.”

There was silence in the room. The quietness amplified the sound of Luhan’s heart beats that he wondered if the intruder could hear them from where he stood behind the Prince. In the midst of this thought, the intruder spoke, “I have nothing to lose, Your Highness. It is not you nor the King who scares me.”

“My Father can take away your life and he will put you to death if you hurt me. Does that not strike fear to you?” The Prince asked only to receive more silence. He gulped and asked again, “Are you not scared of death?”

Instead of a reply to that question, the man told Luhan to follow him obediently or he will be harmed.

“Where are you taking me?” Luhan asked, voice restrained and inwardly panicking. His heart was beating fast as he thought of several possibilities. Is he going to be killed? No, if this guy wanted to kill him, he would’ve been dead by now. Is he being kidnapped? What for? Could it be that—

Luhan gasped in realization, He must be taking me to gain money. Using me as a hostage to take ransom from my father. This bastard!

The thought angered Luhan and when the man had not noticed, he kicked the unknowing stranger right in the place where it hurts. He heard a sharp wince before he ran farther towards the door, yelling for help. He tried to open the door but his hands were both tied, so he kicked and pushed using his body.

Just as he was about to yell for help once again, he was pulled from behind and a hand had covered his mouth, muffling his voice and restraining him. Still, he struggled in his kidnapper’s hold and even bit the other’s hand, earning a low groan from the man as he retracted the injured palm.

“There’s no way I’d go with you, you scoundrel!” Luhan yelled as he glared at the other man. “You’re not gaining money from me like some damsel in distress! There’s no way I’d let you.”

“Just come here, or I’ll—“, the other threatened but was interrupted by the door slamming open and guards coming in with swords in their hands. “,” he cursed as he swiftly grabbed the stupefied prince and held him closely. “I can’t believe you’re making me resort to this.” He muttered darkly before he took a black marble-like object out from nowhere and threw it to the ground. As soon as it shattered, black smoke appeared and covered the whole room.

The guards coughed and coughed. They were unable to see through the thick smoke and their eyes were in pain. As soon as the smoke had cleared, the strange man and the prince had disappeared.

This alerted the guards present and the search for the prince had started.

 


 

Luhan doesn’t remember what had happened before he was pulled into oblivion, but when he came to be, the first thing that registered his mind was that he was leaning against something and it was warm. The next thing he felt was breeze against his face and short strands of his hair tickling his skin.

When he opened his eyes, however, he felt his stomach dropped and panic had replaced his drowsiness. He wasn’t in his room anymore! And worse, he was carried, asleep on the arms of the stranger slash his abductor—no wonder it was warm—and worse of all, when he looked down, fear clouded his mind.

What the heck! Is this guy for real? Luhan felt dizzy as he looked down and suddenly all those people below looked like ants, He’s flying. Oh god, he’s flying!

“Put me down!” He repeatedly hit the man’s broad chest hard and demanded, “Put me down this instant!”

The man groaned in a mix of pain and surprise as he was suddenly being abused by the now conscious prince. He growled, “Stop hitting me! Or else I’ll let you go, and then you’d fall and die!”

At those words, the prince froze as it registered in his mind—yes, he would fall. And God, the thought of falling is making him dizzier. In an instant, he clung desperately against his kidnapper and buried his face against the other’s warmth, eyes closed tightly, “Don’t let me go.”

What’s with this guy? First, he’s rejecting me then next, he clings on for dear life. Does he not have a sense of pride? The man wondered inwardly as he continued his travel. The journey was quiet and he could feel the prince in his arms trembling. Is he...afraid?

The man took a glance at the person in his arms and saw that he was paler. A part of him felt guilty and worried for the other’s wellbeing; however, he pushed that feeling down as he had to get to his destination. But as silence engulfed the two of them, the stranger spoke, “My name is Kris.”

The trembling prince opened his eyes and stared at the man who called himself Kris. At the moment, he looked vulnerable with the way those unshed tears glistened in his eyes and as the look of confusion graced his features. However, those orbs flickered for a moment before he muttered weakly, “You’re lying. That’s not your real name. I can tell.”

Kris was quiet for a moment, his calm façade hiding the surprise he felt at being caught. It took a while before he said, “It doesn’t matter. You don’t need to know my real name.”

Luhan opened his mouth as he was about to retort, but he stopped and shook his head. He then asked, “Where are you taking me? If you’re planning on using me as hostage for money, forget it. My father has elites working for him and he’ll have you killed before you could even name a price.”

“Are you waiting for them to find you and kill me then?” Kris asked.

Luhan was quiet for a moment. True, he wanted to be safe from Kris and whatever the guy’s plans were. But a part of him doesn’t want to be rescued yet. A part of him was curious where Kris was taking him, wondering if he could get a glimpse of the life outside the palace this way. Another part of him also feared that if he went back after this, his father would be ten times more protective.

A part of him just didn’t wanna go back.

As he kept his silence, Kris was waiting for an answer. But as seconds passed without a reply, he started, “I didn’t take you for money. I’m not using you as a hostage nor am I gonna ask for some ransom.”

His words caught Luhan off guard. What did he say?, Luhan wondered. If he wasn’t after money, then what else—

“I need you to do me a favor.” Kris said, and suddenly his grip on Luhan tightened. Suddenly, the calmness in his face looked forced and his eyes reflected pain, “Just one request. After that, I’ll return you to your father safely and never show my face again.”

“What do you want from me?” Luhan wondered out loud. All this time, his father had told him that the world outside was dangerous. It was greedy and it would eat him alive. It was a monster and it would steal his life away. But tonight, despite the chaos and threats Kris gave him, he felt at ease.

Being in high places scared him, but for some reason, he felt light. He loved the feeling of the breeze against him, seeing the stars and the moon closer than he ever could from his window. And Luhan wondered if it had something to do with Kris’ calming presence.

The rest of their journey was left in silence.

When Kris had arrived to an inn right at a small town outside the Kingdom of Tianchao, Luhan was fast asleep in his arms. He reserved a single room to stay in for the night.

When he carried Luhan upstairs and entered their room, the place only had a single bed. It wasn’t a problem for Kris though, as he was used to it. He gently placed the prince in the bed and the latter curled up into a ball, mumbling in his sleep. The image reminded Kris of his little brother and his eyes softened at the sight.

He gently pulled the covers and placed it over Luhan, to keep the prince warm for the night. Kris decided that he’d talk to the other by the morning and call it a day. Seeing as the bed was too small—also he had assumed that Luhan would probably freak out if he woke up beside him—Kris made his way to the couch.

It was definitely uncomfortable for him, but he could bear with it for a while. By tomorrow, they’d be heading back to his hometown and all of this will be over with.