Chapter 1

Letters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter one

12 years later... Present day: Portland Oregon USA 5:30 am

         "Billie, Billie" a voice called out. The voice came from the small woman named Alana, with honey brown hair pinned up. She was dressed in and loose shell pink open neck sweater that hung loosely off of one shoulder with a simple deep lavender bow holding it together and a tight black boatneck top under that showed with the exposed shoulder, with fitted black slacks and a pair of bright fuzzy yellow slippers on her feet.

         I stepped into her room wake my daughter. I then pushed back the covers to see the sleeping black haired angel that was about to get pushed and prodded out of bed. Even excessive tickling and poking did not work on this child. We are going to be late to the shop if she does not rouse soon. We have to be at the shop by six thirty am. I wonder why it is always so hard to wake her up? Finally, the evilness has to begin. As I yell "EUN YUN GET OUT OF BED NOW!!!!" and then pull a spray bottle from behind my back as I sprayed her face with water. I stepped back as she screamed and jumped out of bed only to be kissing the floor as her bed sheets conspired against her and are tangled around her feet, thus the face plant. I try to hold back my laughter as I picked the now in pain drowsy twelve-year-old up off the floor and gently guided her to the bathroom to get ready. What a heck of a way to start the day.

One month later

Three weeks till Christmas:

           It was three weeks until Christmas and the little coffee shop called Secret was humming with holiday cheer. In the shop, the smell of vanilla, hazelnut, peppermint, and cinnamon, chocolate, hot milk, and espresso permitted the air. The little shop buzzed with the sound of people coming in from the cold wet winter day. The doors bells chiming as the door welcomed in the morning customers. Alana and her two other employees took turns between taking orders, making drinks and wrapping up pastries and pottery. Billie sat in an end booth where Alanna could see her while she did her school work sleepily with a cup of hot cocoa with a melting mountain of whip cream on it sitting beside it was a plate with an sliced Fuji apple on it with spoon full of crunchy peanut butter and a blueberry muffin with a tiny nibble bite taken out of the top. The morning holiday rush just settled down and Alana made her way over to Billie. Alana knew Billie was sleepy in the morning, but she should be fully awake by now since it was, in fact, eight am and Billie had been up since five thirty am. Alana slid into the booth across from the girl and gently knocked on the table so she would not frighten her. Billie's head shot up and her eyes widened as she looked at her mother. She shook her head awake and smiled at her.

         "Billie" Alana said, "How are you today? Are you okay, you seem extra sleepy this morning?Billy smiled sweetly at her mom and replied "I'm okay mom, I just have had a lot on my mind lately and I couldn't sleep well last night" Alana looked at her daughter with concern. Then she asked - What has been on your mind? Billie tried to be evasive saying that it was nothing, but Alana held her ground as she stared at her daughter. Soon Billy let out a sigh "Mom I have been thinking - Do you know who my dad is? Do you know what he even looks like? Did Milly my birth mom, ever tell you anything about him?  Alana's thoughts raced within her mind to find a reply. She then paused for a moment and then suddenly knowing that honesty was what Billie needed now more than a made up story for comfort. Alanna then took a deep breath and spoke.

            "No, I don't know who he is. Milly never said a word about him, but I knew she really missed someone after she returned. I knew that she had fallen in love with someone when she had gone back home to Korea for two years. When she returned here she seemed frightened and so lonely and would not speak about what happened over there no matter how I pressed her for an answer. Then one day she suddenly stopped coming by our shop, stopped calling me or answering my emails and simply disappeared. The next time I heard from her was in the letter that was given to me the day you were placed in my arms. All that I know is according to the Will a letter was sent to him."  "So, said Billy, does that mean I am not wanted by him?"   Her big golden brown almond shaped eyes began to bubble up with tears.

              "Billie ", Alana said; We don't know that." "Maybe the letter got lost?, Or maybe he is waiting for something so he can come and meet you? Maybe the letter was only sent to him now? Don't give up hope that you will never see him. Don't you dare think that you are not wanted? I love you and no matter what happens you will always be wanted." Billie rubbed her eyes wiping away her tears and smiled at her mom. She thought to herself "I'm just being silly and thinking too much and besides, I can always ask Santa to bring him to me."

               Billie smiled at her mom and then took a big bite of her muffin and giggled. Alana smiled at her daughter- happy that she was able to push the clouds away from her daughter even if she may have given her false hope of ever seeing her dad. Then Alana stood up and walked back over to wash her hands to help with the new wave of costumes that came cascading through the door. Alana called back to her and said, "When you are done with that set of problems- go and get some of the Christmas decorations down out of the attic." Billie excitedly got to work on the last few math problems so that the decorating could begin.



 

The same day Seoul Korea

Choi Seung-hyun!" called Daesung, " Seung-hyun where are you?"

         Seung-hyun was in the Apartment/offices with his Elders, He had been in his office doing paperwork.  Seung-hyun poked his head out of the door and called back, "I'm in m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter