Part III

Pandora Box

Jennie was in the middle of a shopping centre with Lisa, and she didn't know why. Not that she despised it, but Lisa took her out all of a sudden. Besides, it was weird that Lisa was not particularly in need of buying anything lately. Didn't she just spend all that cash last week with Chaeyoung? 

So when the shopping had finally ended with Lisa purchasing nothing but a few pairs of cute socks, that curiousity ballooned. The youngest of the group could not just beg her to join just for the sake of freaking socks. By the time they had sat in a restaurant to have their late lunch, Jennie snapped.

"Yah, Lalisa. Where is your Jisoo unnie and why are you not going with her?" Jennie eyed her companion in discreet as the latter took her time to answer.

"Unnie said she had grown tired of shopping with me and would like a new experience with Chaeyoung"

"Is that so?" 

The younger's expression turned rather gloomy. "Wae, unnie? You really hate shopping with me?" 

"I didn't say that"

The two fell into a moment without words. 

"Unnie" The said maknae brought end to the dead air first at last. Jennie's daunting gaze was fixated right at the girl, and she could sense that Lisa was going to stutter with her upcoming words. "U- Unnie, have you ever fallen for someone?" 

The older almost sneered; Lisa indeed was up to something. "I guess every girl around our age must have done so at least once, right?"

"Yeah... Uh, I mean... With the fact that we have debuted now, it is much better to go all out on our career first rather than thinking about dating stuffs, isn't it?"

"Well" Jennie's head sank slightly lower. "It will be really a lie to say that we do not think about it at all, but considering all the years we have trained before debut, we should not waste too much of our time on that just to let all the hard work go to waste" 

She knew that lately that advise did not apply to her. All that she suggested a few seconds ago was a total contradiction to what she was actually doing. She had been, and still was, wasting too much time thinking of one person, but she was helpless. She wanted to put 100% of her effort into her just-debuted career, but rationality was always thrown out the window when it came to that one person. 

"But, unnie, you know... Let's say we were normal girls who were leading a normal life, but still living together. Would you date?"

"Definitely yes" A sweet smile brushed Jennie's face, but it was soon replaced by a smirk. "What's with the questions, Lalisa?"

"Nothing, unnie. That kind of topic just... suddenly passed my mind" 

"Are you thinking about dating someone?"

"No! Of course not! I told you it just crossed my mind, unnie. Since you are older than me, who knows you've got a better point of view"

"Have you tried asking Jisoo then?" 

The blonde's facial aura somehow shifted upon the question. Do not ask Jennie how she knew; she just did. 

"I have. Jisoo unnie gave a similar answer"

The arrival of their food ended the discussion. Jennie gave an unappreciative look at the dishes, despite most of them being her favorites. Jisoo did not deserve to be in this kind of situation. If that girl named Kang Seulgi did not recognize just how much Jisoo was worth, then Jennie could never possibly forgive her.

"Did Jisoo say something else regarding... that?" The brunette finally began prying Lisa out. 

The Thai girl simply pretended to be savouring the samgyeopsal in before shaking her head. 

"Did she say that she would not consider dating anyone due to that?" 

"Actually, she said it is not necessarily the main reason, but something else-" The maknae's hand hooded her entire mouth. Jennie witnessed how her eyes widened up in panic. "What I mean is that..."

"Just bring it to the table already, Lisa" The older's stare was a mix of obstinacy and plead. "I know who she is in love with. I know the name"

"You know already, unnie? Really?" Lisa asked her with agape. That youngest member was living up to her 'reaction king' title; Jennie thought that the meat in the blonde's mouth might as well jump out seeing how wide was open.

"Yes, I know. So just tell me what she said"

"You should talk to her, unnie, really. I don't think that she knows that you know. She told me that she was too scared of ruining the friendship. Even if it happens, she added, there is a chance that our group's image will be ruined if people find out"

Jennie listened to all of it while forcing the food to go down . Her appetite had fled since minutes ago.

"But I think Jisoo unnie deserves to be happy. She always acts as if she is high of sugar but looks troubled most of the time when it is not in front of the fans. You also deserve to be happy, Jennie unnie"

Jennie's eyes met Lisa's. "I will talk to her, don't worry"

It was not until nighttime, though, when she was by herself in her room, that she somehow had a second thought of talking to Jisoo. Would it not be nicer if her unnie did not end up with Seulgi? For what reason was she considering to encourage Jisoo to confess her love to someone who was not Jennie Kim? Would it not be a better view for her eyes if Jisoo stayed single, focusing on her work together with her and the rest of Blackpink? 

That was just so freaking selfish. She acknowledged that, but realistically speaking, sacrificing your own feeling for the sake of your dearest one was simply nothing but a cliché line from an old-century book. What right did one have to call her selfish anyway? It was not as if she was planning on snatching Jisoo all for herself either.

'Jisoo unnie deserves to be happy. You also deserve to be happy, Jennie unnie' 

The maknae's sentence involuntarily replayed in her mind. She sighed; nails scraping the head. It would be for the good of both her and Jisoo if the latter ended up with Seulgi. The earlier the pair came into existence, the quicker it would be for Jennie to start her moving-on pilgrimage. One day, perhaps, she would be able to completely dismiss her feelings for the older girl, although Jennie could never see herself being capable of that. 

While she was sitting there on her bed with what it seemed to be the biggest dilemma in her life, the door creaked open. Jennie jolted almost immediately as she was revealed to the sight of a dark-haired girl, who obviously was Jisoo. 

"Dalgom-ah... Why don't you want to do tricks anymore? You seize all the treats without doing the tricks. You will get fat that way"

Here she came, Jennie thought. The older was of course oblivious to Jennie's condition. The brunette released a noiseless sigh. Whatever decision she would make later, it seemed like it would not be made that night. 

"Ah, Jendeukie" Jisoo finally paid her some attention. "What did you buy today at the stores?"

"Huh?"

"You went shopping with Lisa, didn't you?"

"Yes"

Jisoo then bent her body slightly in front of her. The older had no idea of how much she blew Jennie's mind away with such an intense stare from such a close proximity. "Are you okay, Jendeuk?"

"Ah? Y- Yeah of course!" Jennie swore that the other girl was close to murdering her just by looking into the very deepest of her soul with those dark orbs for a mere five seconds. If Jisoo brought any other weapon with her, that would be her lips. For a moment Jennie congratulated herself for having a shield strong enough to hold herself back from kissing those luscious, plump lips. 

"So, how was shopping with Nalalisa?" The dark-haired girl took the vacant space next to Jennie as a seat. 

"It was alright except for the part where I went with her all along just so that she could buy socks"

"Socks?"

"Yes, socks"

"I don't remember her saying she needs those" Jisoo commented as she let go of her dog pet on the floor.

"I don't either, but that's what she bought. She just probably wanted me to come because of something else"

"What is the 'something else'?"

"Nothing" 

"Did you buy me anythinggg?" Jisoo tilted her head closer to hers.

"Why would I? This is not even Christmas and your next birthday is not until next January, Kim Chichoo" Jennie beamed her a teasing smirk. 

"I was just wondering if you would get me a surprise like last time with the night-lamp" The older girl turned her face away. The bubbly tone that was previously there seconds ago had dropped to a rather dim one. Jennie was fond of Jisoo's pout, but definitely not of her dejected expression.

"I'm sorry, I didn't even think of buying anything for myself. The next time I go, I will definitely grab you something" 

"I was just joking, Jendeukie. Hihiiing" Jisoo faced her again, this time with a victorious sneer and raised eyebrows. "Let's go to sleep then. I am so sleepy today"

Instead of responding, the younger let Jisoo turn off the lamp and prepare their blanket in silence. Why would Jisoo want anything from her while she certainly was in love with another human? She let herself sound like a moron in the eyes of her crush. 

The room had grown dark safe for the moonlight that shone weakly through the window's curtain. Jennie's head met her pillow and it did not take a few minutes for her eyes to gradually close. The only activity she did that day was going shopping with Lisa, but for some reasons, she felt so exhausted after juggling so much between one emotion and one thought with anothers.