Part II

Pandora Box

Jennie's yoga instructor must have almost given up at this point, considering how frequent she had called for the girl's attention only to lose it again minutes after. After a while, Jennie was quite convinced that the teacher had come to a point where she just permitted her to be lost in her thought, for she no longer said a word. 

"Are you not focused today because Jisoo is not with you?" The silence was broken at last. 

She was disrupted from her train of thoughts. Uneasy for her lack of concentration that day, Jennie looked at the instructor apologetically. "No, not really. I just cannot come out with my best today. I am sorry" 

"It's alright. I will see you next time then, with Jisoo, hopefully" 

Jennie beamed another smile as a form of gratitude. She felt sincerely sorry for the wasted session, but it was sensible to say that anyone in her circumstance that day would do the same thing. 

Jisoo - her unnie, her soft-spot, the girl to whom she dedicated her ardor, was in love with someone. Her pulse came into a halt the second Jisoo mentioned that it was someone with the same gender. She was not substantially taken aback with the fact that the dark-haired member was not straight. She was just dead curious of who the fortunate person was, and also was simultaneously frustrated just by thinking of the potential candidates. So when the older girl made clear that she was not ready to speak the name just yet, Jennie's feeling felt like an uncanny combination of anxiety and relief. 

Jisoo dropped hints, however, about the said girl. It was like someone committed a crime of stealing Jisoo's heart, and Jennie was left with a bunch of clues regarding the culprit.  It got Jennie's brain into working mode ever since, to the point where she even made a list in order to figure out how possible it was that the person inside the pandora box might be her, as delusional as it sounded. 

Hints that tell it might be her: 
- Has cat/fox-like eyes (she failed to recall which one was exactly what Jisoo said) 
- Chubby cheeks
- Can sing and dance well on stage (by this far, it was safe to say that the girl was an idol. There were other idols who could sing and dance, though, but since Jennie was confident of her skills, she put 50-50 on this)

Hints that tell it might not be her:
- Different height with Jisoo (of course, it was not like she and Jisoo shared the same precise number in height, but the oldest member once claimed that they were the same, so this hint fell to this category) 
- Dork and adorable (Jennie could never reckon herself as dork and adorable in any way. If anything, she was the least funny person among the quartet)
- Lastly, and most crucially, the person did not seem to reciprocate Jisoo's feelings (this one was pretty much a grey area, but Jennie always displayed her affection for the older girl so it might not be her)

She sighed for the nth time that day. She lost count of how many times the thoughts of the 4D princess had made her sigh since the morning. The vibration of her phone in her training-pants' pocket alerted her. 

Speaking of the devil, Jennie snorted after she pulled out the gadget and saw Jisoo's face and name filling up the screen. Despite all the insane, quickening poundings of her heart, Jennie managed to bring her thumb to the 'answer' button. 

"Unnie"

"Yah, Jendeukie!"

"Yes?"

"What do you mean by going to our yoga class by yourself!?"

"Unnie, you were filming for Inkigayo"

"Couldn't you wait until tomorrow!? We always go together and now I returned to the dorm without you around!"

"I will be there in no time" Jennie said, grateful that Jisoo was unable to see her idiotic grin. She loved it every time she heard the older girl wail in demand of something. It was an exceptionally heavenly feeling to have Jisoo needing her. She was in a state of bliss once upon a time when the husky-voiced member wrote, on her CH+ to her fans, that she wanted Jendeukie for her next birthday present. She still remembered she literally swung Kuma around that night, not being able to hold the euphoria back (she did it without the presence of the others, obviously). Poor that dog. 

"You'd better do. Jendeukie, I am hungry..." The girl on the other line commenced on whining. "And I have something to tell you" 

Why had she not been born as a superhero, so she could fly right away to Jisoo's side? Jennie erected from where she had sat for a quarter of an hour. "I will change my clothes now and be home right away" 

"15 minutes is your time limit, Jendeuk! Or else, Kuma's life is nearing its end" 

"What!? But I haven't even called the driver-" 

"I don't care. Bye Jendeukie" 

Jennie snorted as she put her phone down; if she had the power to, she would want to be by her side in less than 15 minutes. So off she changed her clothing that was damp of sweats and called her driver to pick her up on the spot she had been dropped earlier. 

Her gaze was thrown outside the car window all the way during the trip home, but her mind concentrated on one matter and only one: what was it that Jisoo wanted to tell her? The closer the van got to their dorm, the higher her spirit should have been, but her nervous soul told her otherwise. She could feel her hands literally losing their temperature that she had to blow warm air though her lips just to alleviate the frigid state. 

Was Jisoo about to finally spill the beans? Was she ready to be let known of the name of the human who had captured her crush's attention? Was she ready to be broken-hearted? What would she do if the name was not Jennie Kim? It would trample her, destroy her to the bone to listen to Jisoo's discourse about the girl, with those lovable eyes sparkling in felicity. To have to hear how madly in love Jisoo was with the person; all those things coming out from Jisoo's beloved, heart-shaped lips. These had turned Jennie's stomach upside down, and her gut responded with pain. 

She inhaled, very deeply, when the vehicle made its way through the apartment's gate. All the way from being dropped off at the lobby, submitting her ID card to the building staff, and waiting for the elevator to send her to the floor where Blackpink's room was located, she rubbed her hands in great tension. It had turned too numbing for her that Jennie thought she might as well blow steam from even if Seoul was not in its coldest days anymore. 

Nobody was behind the door after she pushed it open. A few more steps and she noticed that it seemed like Chaeyoung and Lisa were gone. Come to think about it again, Jennie conceived, her older fellow member would not have requested her to return so quickly if Rosé and Lisa had been around. Jisoo could have just asked either of them to cook. 

"Jendeukiiie" The girl who had filled her mind the whole day turned up in front of her, at last. 

"Hey" Jennie smiled; that was her only resort to appear composed in front of the other. "Still hungry?"

"Certainly!" Jisoo answered without reluctance. Jennie's stare then flew all over the older girl. Jisoo was in her homey-style, wrapped in her black tee and short pants and her face barren without the heavy make-ups. This version of Jisoo was always the best Jisoo in Jennie's perspective. 

"Then I'll do my job" Jennie commented as she unwrapped herself from her jacket. "What would you like, Ms. Jisoo Kim?"

"Hmmm Thai fried rice!" One favorable thing about Jisoo was that she never took long to know what she wanted, even more so when it came to food. "I thought about it last night. Lisa once cooked it for me and it was an absolute fail. So I would like to try yours"

"You always talk as if I literally could cook every single cuisine in the world" Jennie started walking to the kitchen.  

"But you are the best and you will cook it for me. Jendeukie jjang" 

Well, 100 for Jisoo on that. Frankly speaking, Jennie would not mind if one day Jisoo wanted her to cook the most complicated dishes in the world. She would make her best effort.

"Wait nicely then"

"I will wait here with you"

"You can just sit back and relax, princess. I don't want to set the whole building on fire" 

That successfully forced Jisoo to land a playful slap on Jennie's back. "Yah!"

The younger girl's lips pulled up to a simper. She could not help but to relish Jisoo's pouting face. Jisoo barely ever set that kind of expression to Rosé or the maknae, probably because she tended to be the 'bully' towards the two youngest of the group. So every moment Jennie managed to make Jisoo pout, she felt like she scored a goal. 

"No, seriously. You can wait in the bedroom. It's fine" 

"It's okay, I want to wait here with you" Jisoo answered, and Jennie almost cursed for having heard that damn husky voice delivering that sentence and having seen those puppy-like eyes staring back right onto her eyeballs. 

"Okay then..." 

She looked back at the fridge, hoping that her brain would nicely cooperate on concentrating during her whole time cooking. Silence was then permitted to the room for... Jennie was not counting. Her naughty orbs did steal a few glances at her companion's figure, and she found Jisoo doing nothing but waiting nicely on the dinner table like a puppy; she was using her hands to support her head.  Jennie felt like setting the whole building on fire and kidnapping Jisoo by bundling her off. 

The words that Jisoo mentioned during the phone call reminded her of something.

"So..." She began. "Didn't you mention that you want to tell something to me?" 

She was too scared to look at her companion's face, so she kept her gaze at where it had been for a few minutes - the frying pan. 

"Uh... That..." Jisoo's volume was too low it almost sounded like a mere whisper. "You still remember Seulgi? Kang Seulgi from Red Velvet?"

"Y- Yeah?" At this point, Jennie's heart had began thumping at a rocketing pace. 

"Well today I finally got to talk to her again after a while since that award show" The dark-haired girl continued, this time with a brighter tone of voice. "I am happy that we are closer now. She has somehow avoided to talk to me a few times, but it was maybe because she was always occupied with her fellow members"

"I see" Jennie responded. She did not know if Jisoo noticed how desolate she sounded, but her heart had sunk to its lowest point. "I am glad to hear that"

So the person in question was Seulgi. Kang Seulgi. And no, Jennie was not glad at all to hear that, but she undoubtedly could not say that to Jisoo's face, could she? So instead she released a sigh, trying to make it as inaudible as she could. The rest of her day would definitely be dark after this, and probably the rest of her life as well.