Orders

Promises Promises

“What?” Jeonghan said, the confusion on his face, well Joshua would call it cute but now wasn’t the time to think about how cute Jeonghan was.

“I’m going to buy us time,” he repeated. Biting his lip, he looked pensive. “None of us will like it much but this might be the only way.”

As soon as he heard the words won’t like, Jeonghan leaned into Joshua’s personal space, his face right above Joshua’s, his whole body towering over him, as if he were trying to intimidate the answer out of him, “Shua?”

Joshua pushed at him, not quite moving him all the way out of his face, but enough distance. Stupid alpha hormones gave Jeonghan an advantage when he decided to use them, or when they surged out of nowhere. And considering the situation, Jeonghan no doubt didn’t even know he was doing this to Joshua.

“Calm down,” he said gently, “I haven’t even told you yet.”

Breathing through his nose, Jeonghan nodded. “Sorry. With everything that’s happened though. I’m feeling a bit, tense.”

Seungcheol snorted. “Lies. You mean you feel like you want to rip my head off.” He stuffed a piece of toast into his mouth. Munching, he said, “There’s no need to sugar coat it. I’d feel agitated and violent too if someone was taking my place by Jihoon’s side.”

Jeonghan moved, as if he were going to lunge at his childhood friend and start wrestling on the floor, in thanks for reminding Jeonghan just what sort of situation they were currently in thanks to Seungcheol’s father and family.

“We’re going to play along with it,” Joshua said, grabbing Jeonghan by the back of his shirt, pulling him down. “We’re going to make as if I’m fine with Seungcheol and then we’re going to go to Seungcheol’s family home and find out what it is.”

“What?!” The two of them shouted at Joshua. Seungcheol leaped up to his feet while Jeonghan turned back to Joshua.

“We,” he said slowly, as if they were slow witted, “are going to act like we all are ok with Seungcheol and I being promised. Then, we’ll make up some dumb excuse to go to Seungcheol’s home and his family will follow and since alphas are dumb and like to boast he’d likely left something around.”

“Subterfuge?” Jeonghan asked.

“Yes. We’re going to act and lie our way to the secrets and then end this farce.”

“He can’t lie,” Jeonghan said, pointing at Seungcheol.

“We don’t have to act like we’re in love. Not really,” Joshua pointed out. “If anything, he can just pretend I'm Jihoon while I hide the fact that I want to flinch away from his touch.”

“If we do this,” Seungcheol said, “what do we do about Jihoon? He’s not going to know that we’re all lying. This can very well end everything for him and I.” His face drooped. His eyes might have even got a bit misty. A rare occurrence for Seungcheol.

“Did you talk to him today?” Joshua mused, adding another person into their little scheme would make it more complicated. There were already the three of them and then their manservants. But Jihoon was intelligent in his own right. But could he tamp down on the urge to brain Seungcheol and Joshua for potential things they would have to do in order to pass as a couple. Joshua knew he would be able to placate Jeonghan. They were too wrapped up in each other not to trust each other. That Joshua was sure of. But Seungcheol and Jihoon.

He shook his head. “He wouldn’t see me.” Hands coming together, he sighed. “Seokmin came to the door and told me without even lying that Jihoon would not see me. And that if I didn’t leave I’d be without an important appendage.”

“I’ll talk to him then.” Joshua moved to stand up. “He cannot refuse to see his prince. Even if he likely hates my guts as much as yours. I’ll force him.” He looked down at his friend who seemed as if his whole world was Jihoon and that without him he’d have nothing. “As your friend. I’ll do my best to persuade him.” After all Joshua wasn’t close with Jihoon.

“Joshua,” Jeonghan said, “darling.” He stared at Joshua, a bit frightened. “You have that glint in your eyes that spell trouble. What else are you planning my dear?” He was dropping too many pet names this morning. Joshua wasn’t going to be placated.

“Things, Jeonghan. I have to go set them in motion now. I’ll be back in my study later.” Joshua frowned. “I would have you come see me but at this point it would be a bit...” he said trailing off.

“Later,” Jeonghan answered. “I’ll be by later. I will come find you. Away from prying eyes.”

Joshua beamed at him. Leaning down he kissed Jeonghan lightly on the lips. “I’ll hold you to that promise then.” He pulled away. “We’ll have dinner and I’ll tell you the news and the refined plans on how we’re going to set this into motion. We have to be on top of our game to win our lives back.”

“But will it be the same lives as before all of this?”

Joshua whipped his head over to look at Seungcheol. “What?”

He looked at Joshua, his eyes filled with something he couldn’t figure out. “Our lives. You said you had plans to win them back. But who is to say after we do all of this our lives will go back to being the same. Who is to say that Jihoon will come back to me and we somehow will not change everything?”

Joshua stood still, stiff in a statue like manner. “We have no choice. Whether or not things change we cannot help it. But we can’t keep things the way they are.”

“I’m more worried on how far you will take things,” he said, eyes narrowing.

Clearly, he remembered Joshua’s threats from the night before. Too bad Joshua didn’t care. Snapping back at Seungcheol, Joshua retorted, “I will do as I see fit.” He turned and walked towards his door. “Best for you to remember that.”


“Are you sure we should be doing this,” Soonyoung whispered.

Joshua waited in front of the door of Jihoon’s guest room. It didn’t even matter what they should be doing. It only mattered that if Jihoon wanted in his little scheme then Joshua would take him into the circle and they’d plan it down to the last detail. Joshua wasn’t going to fail.  “If he refuses to see me,” Joshua said quietly, “then I’ll order him.” Joshua wanted to grit his teeth, but it was unbecoming of a prince. “You know I don’t want to. But this is our lives. I want my happy ending.”

Soonyoung nodded. This whole situation was several levels of ed but they had to do what they could to right everything.

The door opened, a familiar face leaned out. Apologetic wasn’t a good look on Seokmin, but he still had that friendly demeanor that was like a ray of sunshine even on a rainy day. “I’m sorry your highness, but Lord Jihoon isn’t feeling well. He’s requested all visitors to come back another day.”

Another lovely thing about Seokmin was that he was a horrible liar.

“I’m not asking as a friend,” Joshua said. “I’m ordering him as his prince,” Joshua murmured. It wouldn’t do to let people hear things and wonder what was happening. For Joshua to even bother coming to see Jihoon was a sign that Joshua was here on serious business. It wasn’t as if Joshua hated Jihoon, or even disliked him; they just didn’t seem to click as well and Joshua was too wrapped up in Jeonghan to care. A mistake now.

Seokmin’s face tightened. He nodded. “I’ll inform him your highness. Please come in. Have a seat while I fetch Lord Jihoon.” He practically ran from them, into the bed chambers.

Joshua sat down on the arm chair facing the bedroom. It gave him line of sight of everyone and he would hear any knock on the door. it was a simple tactic but one that would have Jihoon unnerved. And that’s how Joshua needed him to feel. Jihoon was a spitfire and he’d lose his temper even to Joshua.

“Your highness,” Jihoon said, bowing low to him. “How may I help you this morning? Shouldn’t you be spending it with your promised one?”

Joshua gave him a razor-sharp smile. “Sit.”

Jihoon didn’t move. Speak of the devil. His ing temper was out and about already.

“It wasn’t a suggestion,” Joshua said, his voice ice cold. “I said sit. If you refuse I can make you.”

With gritted teeth and mulish jaw, Jihoon almost stomped over and flopped down on the couch.

Nodding, Joshua took a slight breath. “I’m not here to be superior,” he stopped as he heard Jihoon scoff. “It’d behoove you to remember Lord Lee,” Joshua hissed, “who is your prince. The more you fight me the longer I shall be in your presence. But also, the more trouble you give the likelier I am to take it out on your family’s holdings. I can be just as childish. I have no need for your family, you’d best remember that.”

The fire in Jihoon’s eyes grew. Good.

“I won’t apologize for last night as it wasn’t my doing. I don’t care what you thought or misunderstood—”

“What was there to misunderstand your highness, Seungcheol is yours now.”

“Stop cutting me off,” Joshua snapped. “I don’t know what went wrong but he wasn’t the intended suitor. His profile was never crossed my hands. I chose another. The fact that his name was thrown out was out of my control and under someone else’s machinations. I came here to offer you peace. But if you want to act like this then fine. Live with the life you have now. Be without your beloved. I don’t care.” He stood up. He had enough of this insolence. His nerves were already frayed. “You’re to leave within the day. Your presence in the castle is no longer welcome.”

Joshua moved to leave, Soonyoung flanking his back.

“Wait,” A voice called out.

Joshua stopped. There was a rustle, and what sounded like a knee hitting the floor. Interesting. Turning around, Joshua looked down to see not Jihoon but Seokmin on his knees.

“I beg your highness to reconsider,” he said. “Lord Jihoon is brusque and unfairly snappish at times but he means well. Yesterday was an ugly surprise and while he may not be showing his pain,” Seokmin paused. “He is deeply hurt your highness.” He implored Joshua, “Please help him. We will listen to what you have to say.”

Jihoon hissed. “What are you doing? Get up.” He grabbed Seokmin by the arm. “You don’t have to kneel on my behalf.”

Seokmin yanked his arm out of his hold. “I do. Especially when you are hurt so and you refuse to do anything about it. I will protect you my lord if no one else will.”

“How noble,” Joshua drawled. “But considering your lord has no wish to hear me out, I don’t see the need for me to waste my breath on someone who could care less.”

“Your highness please,” Seokmin all but sobbed.

“I thought you were the benevolent White Prince,” Jihoon said through clenched teeth.

“Benevolence? To someone who refuses to listen?” Joshua gave him a droll look. “It would like talking to a brick wall. Except the wall has enough wit to not argue back.” Joshua looked Jihoon up and down. “The order stands. You and your staff are to leave within the day.”

He moved to turn but a gritted reply made him stop once more.

“I beg your forgiveness,” Jihoon said.

Now wasn’t this interesting. Joshua waited.

He took the elbow to the gut from Seokmin, and with a bit more grace, “I ask for your highness’s understanding. My mind is in shambles from yesterday.”

If Joshua wanted to be cutting and petty he’d snap back at Jihoon. But it wouldn’t do. “Sit,” he said. “Let’s talk. You might be interested in what I have to say.”


“So, you all are going to trick your way into finding out?” Jihoon’s eyebrows were raised high on his small face, almost to the point of reaching his hairline.

“There will be more involved things then that but in the simplest terms yes,” Joshua affirmed. “Are you in or not?”

“And how sure are you that you’ll be able to fix everything?”

Joshua watched as Seokmin once again jabbed Jihoon in the side, no doubt for what he thought was insolent behavior to one’s prince.

“There is no guarantee,” Joshua said quietly. “But I’d rather try and get what I want then sit here and let others run my life. I’m not a coward like you.” He watched as Jihoon look as he was stabbed. Getting up, he left Jihoon with one last order, “If you’re happy with how the cards were drawn yesterday then my orders still stand and I expect you to leave. Otherwise come see me later on.”


“You called your highness?”

“I did,” Joshua said, motioning the man forward. “I have a new mission for you.” Joshua frowned down at what little he information he had.

“A mission having to do with what conspired last night?”

“Of course,” Joshua huffed. “Find out what my father is hiding. What odious Lord Choi is holding over him? I don’t care what it is. Find out everything about that damn family. I want to see them burn,” he hissed.

“Understood.” He moved to leave, pausing once. “And what of Yoon family my prince? They’re awfully close to the Chois as well.”

Biting his lip, Joshua hesitated. If Jeonghan found out. No. Jeonghan just wouldn’t find out then. “Everyone and everything that got us into this mess. Leave no stone unturned.”

“Yes.”

Joshua slid into his chair as his spy slid out of the room through the secret passage quietly. There was so much to be done still.