You Promised me so

Promises Promises

A/N: So I decided that I wouldn't stop writing. I just have to do something. From now on if people want to see an update from me on any story there must be at least 10 comments on the last updated chapter. So this chapter needs at least 10 comments before I update again.  :/ That way it ensures I do see readers and that the same pattern of nonresponsiveness doesn't occur. 


A roar of applause assaulted his ears as his fingers lost their grip on the box. It clattered to the floor. Joshua turned to Jeonghan, watching as he stopped his moving. He stared back at Joshua, his eyes wide. He mouthed, “What?”

Joshua gave a small shake of his head. He had no idea what was going on. Whipping around he stared at his father who had a wide smile on his face, but his eyes. His eyes were cold. His mother stared back at him, eyes a little sad.

Joshua moved towards them, legs a bit shaky. What was going on? He ignored everyone else. This wasn’t happening to him.

“Mother,” he whispered as he went to her. “What’s going on?” He felt light headed, dizzy. “Mother,” he hissed.

She shook her head, her arms clutching his.

Joshua’s eyes fluttered. The lights, the nerves, the heat were getting to him. He hated doing this but it would get him a way out of this, this mockery that was being made of his life. He fainted. Well more like he faked it mildly. Certainly, he was feeling like ; he could’ve endured it, but he used this as an opportunity to postpone whatever the hell was happening.

He shut his eyes, hearing his mother yell for Soonyoung and a doctor. The ballroom was in an uproar.

His father called for quiet and for everyone to relax. Joshua felt Soonyoung grab him and rush out the side doors, up the stairs and to his room, no doubt Joshua’s doctor following him. He was laid on the bed, the doctor taking his pulse.

He heard tsking.

“Now isn’t the time to fake being faint your highness.”

Opening his eyes, Joshua stared at him. “I only faked the fainting. I’m feeling light headed. You felt my heartbeat, didn’t you?”

“Shooting through the roof. I take it what just happened wasn’t supposed to happen,” Dr. Kim said.

“No,” Joshua answered. “I’m sorry Soonyoung for faking, but—“

“I understand,” Soonyoung shook his head, “I understand your highness.”

“The box. Did you get the bracelet?” Joshua’s eyes hardened. “I won’t be giving it to Seungcheol.” His hands clenched into fists, “This wasn’t supposed to happen.”

“How’s my son?” Footsteps echoed on the floorboards and a swish of fabric made its way through his ears.

Speak of the devil. Joshua narrowed his eyes. “What happened out there?! We agreed on Jeonghan. You told me my choice was fine! What happened!?”

“Joshua now isn’t the time to discuss this,” he said in a placating manner.

“No! Now is exactly the time! What you announced out there was wrong? You promised me!”

Immediately his father’s eyes hardened. “I will not discuss this. Not here.” He stormed out, most likely walking to his study.

Joshua sprang up from his bed, ignoring Soonyoung’s hand on his arm, steadying him. He shouldn’t be up but damn it all.

He stormed after his father, ignoring his mother’s cries for him to calm down. All Joshua had in mind now was making things right. He clacked his boots hard on the stone floors, pushing the door open with a bit too much strength as it made a large noise against the wall. Furiously he took the last few steps towards the desk his father sat at.

The parts of his brain that wasn’t occupied with what went down heard the quiet click of the door closing and the rustling of his mother’s dress.

Slamming his hand on the table he snarled, “What the hell?! You promised me it was my choice! That I was to choose!” He jabbed a finger in the air, “I chose Jeonghan! How in the seven hells was it announced that it was Seungcheol?!” With each sentence his voice got higher, angrier. This was beyond a minor thing. It was a promise that wasn’t kept. When it was all he had ever asked for in his life; the choice to choose his promised, the one he’d spend forever with. For this to happen when they promised him, it made angrier than ever before.

“Joshua, son, calm down,” his mother said in a soothing voice.

Whirling around he bared his teeth, “No! I won’t. How could you let this happen? You promised me! Both of you promised me!” His heart felt like it was breaking. How on Earth did his parents have the nerve to lie to him, to bring up his hopes for years only to make them come crashing down like this. In front of the person he loved, in front of the family he had made in the castle, their friends. “How?”

Joshua took in a few deep breaths. Tamping down on his anger, he said calm as he could, “Retract it. Rescind that decision. Put out another announcement that it’s not Seungcheol. Now. Tomorrow.” He wanted to plead, beg, but he wouldn’t. No, they promised him. They had to fix this. Before Jeonghan did something stupid. Before any more hearts were broken. Joshua saw that devastated look in Jihoon’s eyes. “Father.”

His father, silent throughout his yelling, sighed. “I can’t.” The King of the Brione, the man who wielded the most power in the entire coastal areas couldn’t grant his only son’s request.

“And why not?” Joshua asked, heart pounding so loud he could barely hear his own thoughts. “Why can’t you? It’s easy father. Write another announcement and tell them the truth. Take back what you said tonight.”

“It’s not as easy as that Joshua.” He said rubbing his forehead.

“You’re the King! Of course it’s that easy.” He said, but his father shook his head. Joshua turned to his mother, who stood still throughout the whole thing besides the moment she asked for him to calm down. “Mother, tell him it’s as easy that.” He took a shuddering breath, “Please.”

The hurt in her child’s voice made her want to hug him, but she could tell if she did at this moment, he’d lash out, even at her. She shook her head.

“Mother,” his voice wavered. They couldn’t do this to him. Not on this. Anything but this. He had done his duty, dropped his hopes and dreams, did things he didn’t want to do, learned things he never wanted to learn. All so he could have this. So he could marry the one person he loved and who loved him in return.

He could stomach life as an omega, as a King who people might not take seriously half the time. He stomached being treated as if he were less despite all the skill he showed on the battlefield, in the strategy room, in politics. He stomached being treated as glass, as a pawn on several occasions. He stomached a lot, just so he could have this, and yet they were denying him. His eyes welled, “Mommy. Please.”

She choked back tears. Joshua had stopped calling her mommy years ago, back when he started his training, back when the ugly world was shown to him. “The Choi’s have something on your father. Something was promised or something is being held over him. He wouldn’t tell me. That’s all I know.” She held her handkerchief to , trying to stave back the tears.

“Father, what is it?” Joshua asked. The man stayed silent. “What do the Choi’s have on you?”

“That is not something for you to know. Not now. Nor ever.” He said, the tone in his voice emphasizing the finality of his statement. He stood up. “You will live with the decision that has been made.” He started to walk out of the study presumably to the royal chambers.

“Father!” He screamed. “Come back here and tell me!” Joshua moved to run after his father, but he felt his mother grab him by the arms. “You promised me! Get back here and fix it!”

“Joshua. Joshua darling please calm down,” she pleaded.

He yanked himself away from her. “No. I won’t. I won’t live with this decision. I will find out what’s going on and I won’t have Seungcheol as my promised. Nothing can make me.” He gritted his teeth, “If I have to expose the royal family to get what I want then so be it. I won’t take this.” Joshua stormed off, leaving his mother in the study crying.


Joshua walked down the halls, boots slapping the floor angrily. Ignoring the guards who were stationed nearby and his own manservant Soonyoung, he continued until he saw the rooms Seungcheol was placed in. Joshua knew that he’d be in there, despite going to try and placate Jihoon, Joshua knew that he was turned away. He knocked on the doors, keeping the fury inside. The doors opened showing his manservant, Mingyu.

“I’m sorry Your Highness, but Seungcheol has expressed that he’s not taking any visitors right now. Although we are glad you are awake and well.” He bowed as courteous as ever.

Joshua wasn’t having it. “Did he now? Well too damn bad. Move aside. He may be a friend but he is first and foremost a citizen and noble in this kingdom and I am its prince. And he will talk to me.” He hissed at Mingyu, pushing him in the room so he could get inside.

“Joshua?” Soonyoung questioned.

Joshua ignored him as he pushed his way into the room. Once inside he yelled, “Choi Seungcheol, get your stupid out here! We need to talk!”

“My Prince,” Soonyoung hissed, grabbing onto Joshua, “calm down.”

He shrugged him off. “If you don’t ing come out here I’ll freaking go talk to Jihoon myself and blame you for this! Get out here!”

A few seconds later a drenched Seungcheol emerged from the bed chambers. “Oh, so you’re saying it’s my fault instead of yours?”

The tone that Seungcheol said it in made Joshua want to draw his sword, but he had been denied his weapon in the sake of looking more omega like instead of his warrior persona. “You want to argue about whose fault it is instead of trying to fix this mess?” Joshua spat.

“No, no you’re right. We know, a lot of people know that you weren’t looking my way at all.” He sounded tired. Mingyu ran over with a towel drying him, as Seungcheol clearly ignored drying himself off. “We all knew who you were looking at. So what the is up with this situation then?”

“He won’t take it back,” Joshua bit out. “Father won’t take back the announcement. He won’t tell me why or what. All Mother has said is that your family is holding something over him, that’s why we’re promised.” Taking deep breaths, he tried to calm down, reminding himself that Seungcheol was a friend, a friend in the same boat he was in.

“What?!” Seungcheol exclaimed. “What in the hells do we have over him?”

“If I knew I wouldn’t be here now would I? I’d be fixing this problem. But I don’t know and if we want out of this debacle we have to work together. I don’t want to have your children, let alone marry you. Just the idea of bedding you makes me vomit.” Joshua said vehemently.

Quirking one eyebrow, Seungcheol said, “Gee, thanks to know that. Well while the idea isn’t as abhorrent to me, but if I so much as looked in your direction with anything besides thoughts of friend, Jihoon would de-man me.”

“Oh, you mean he hasn’t already tried to,” he sniped. Joshua sighed, as soon as he heard what he said. “I’m sorry. That was cruel of me.”

“It was,” Seungcheol muttered. “And he did. He threw the presents I gave him at me, telling me to give them to you since we’re ‘promised’ and all. Even the fancy dagger I got him for his birthday. Which nearly de-manned me.” Pushing his hand into hair he sighed sadly, “He wouldn’t let me explain, but then again I didn’t have anything to explain. He threw the contents of his water pitcher at me.” He gestured to his wet body. “I was kept in the dark about this too you know.”

Joshua thinned his lips and nodded reluctantly.

“You would think that by now they know who you had your eye on. Goodness knows you had countless people after you, but you rebuffed them all but one. How you two kept it so secret I don’t know?”

Soonyoung coughed muttering, “Lots of hiding and secrecy on the castle staff’s part.”

Joshua gave him a glare, “It’s not like you were chaperoning all the time.”

Seungcheol laughed, because he himself employed similar tactics with Jihoon, but as he wasn’t crown prince it was much easier. “In any case back to the matter at hand. What’s this about my family holding something over your father.”

“I screamed at Father and he said nothing beyond no. Mother is the one who told me that Father told her the Choi’s are holding something over him, a promise or secrets she didn’t know. That is why we’re promised.” He sneered, “I guess your family wants to be a part of the royal family more than we thought. Small mercies it was you and not your older brother.”

“A promise or blackmail? Weird. Thought your father was an upstanding guy. But what the hell do we have on him.” Seungcheol said, muttering the last sentence.

“Something big enough; We’re going to find out what it is and I’m going to break the Choi family if I need to in order to get what I want,” Joshua said, eyes gleaming viciously. “I will do whatever is necessary, exposing the royal family and taking yours down.”

“Hey now,” Seungcheol said. “Think for a second here Joshua. This might be bigger than we think. You sure you want to do that?”

“I will do whatever I deem necessary!” He snapped. “This is my happiness at stake. I will find out what’s happening and if I take down some stupid old fogies while I’m at it so be it. I’m going to be this country’s future King, if they think they can manipulate me like this they have another thing coming.”

“But—“

“I’ll do my best not to strike your family from the book of nobles, but if they think they can dictate my life like this using blackmail. They underestimate me severely.” Joshua said fiercely. He trained to be a leader, a King, a ruler first and foremost. His status came second to all of these things. He wouldn’t let other people pull his strings. “I’m going to bed. We’ll talk more tomorrow.” He turned leaving Seungcheol slack jawed as to the apparent viciousness.

“What about Jeonghan? Aren’t you going to explain things to him?”

“Who says I won’t?”


“Joshua?”

“Not tonight Soonyoung. Go off to bed. I’ll be all right.” Joshua sighed and waved Soonyoung off. “Tomorrow.”

He looked at him, concern in his eyes. He nodded, knowing that Joshua needed time alone. “Yes, your highness.”

Joshua walked into his chambers and closed the door, knowing that there was someone in here. He walked past the sitting area into his bedroom and saw Jeonghan on his bed.

“You’re here,” he said voice slightly trembling. “I thought you wouldn’t show.”

Jeonghan opened his arms. “I’ll always be here. Now come. Tell me what’s going on.” Jeonghan mentioned nothing of the fainting. Joshua hated showing weakness, the fact that he fainted in front of so many people meant he’d be embarrassed by it and it would not do to bring it up.

Falling into his arms, he clung to Jeonghan, letting him take them down into the blankets. How could everything go so wrong? All he asked for was for this man to be his. Why couldn’t he get this one thing? “Father won’t rescind the announcement. I argued and screamed. He wouldn’t even tell me why.” He felt Jeonghan tighten his hold. Moving his hands up and down in a soothing manner, Joshua continued, “Mother was the one who told me, after I pleaded with her, that the Choi’s have something over Father. A promise, a secret, something. This is why he announced Seungcheol instead of you like we had agreed upon.”

“What are we going to do? I know there’s no way you want to marry Seungcheol.” He smirked at Joshua, “Not when you have me.”

He laughed and then let out a tired sigh. “We’re going to find out what’s this secret is and then I’m going to show these people what happens when you try to manipulate the future King’s life. I’ll take lives if necessary, strike the Choi’s from the Book of Nobles, expose the Royal family’s secrets. I won’t take this lying down.” He wanted to snarl still. “I won’t.”

Kissing Joshua lightly on the lips, “Woe to those who underestimate my beloved. Show them who the White Prince really is.” Jeonghan moved his hands from his back to his waist, down to his . Giving it a light squeeze, he rolled Joshua onto the blankets onto his back. He unwound his arms and moved as to get up.

“No. Not tonight. Stay.” Joshua clung to his arms, not letting go his grip on Jeonghan’s fine shirt. After everything that happened today, he needed Jeonghan here with him. Even if they were pushing the boundaries, because as of this evening he was technically promised to Seungcheol.

“Beloved, we shouldn’t.”

“Please,” he begged. “You know how much I hate begging.” He looked up at Jeonghan from his lashes, “Stay. No one will say anything. They know who I want.”

He let out a little moan as he saw Joshua flutter his lashes like a wily seducer out of the romance novels. “Stop trying to seduce me. We’ve gone farther than we should’ve thanks to that.” He rolled them over onto their sides. “But all right. Just this once. I’ll stay.” Taking a look at Joshua’s appearance, “You should change though. As should I. Go on. You first. I may have seen a lot but I haven’t seen everything yet.”

Joshua laughed. Kissing him, he replied, “Because we’ve had the sense to stop before we went too far.”

Jeonghan swat at his . “Go.”

He changed quietly. Something would have to be done. Nothing was going right and he wouldn’t have this taken away from him. No matter what he had to have this one thing. Joshua moved back to the bed, letting Jeonghan wrap his arms around him, pulling the covers over them.

Laying his head on Jeonghan’s shoulder, he held on. There was too many questions and not enough answers. Tomorrow he would be pushed to take Seungcheol’s ring and pushed to give Seungcheol his own gift. Tomorrow he would have to make up some sort of plan to change everything or he wouldn’t have these arms around him any longer. Everything would come tomorrow and Joshua had no idea on what to do.

He jerked out of his thoughts as he felt a kiss on his forehead. “Tomorrow,” Jeonghan said softly. “We will deal with things tomorrow.” Lightly he ran his thumb under Joshua’s eye, “You need rest. Look at these eye bags. Rest.”

“Am I not pretty with the bags under my eyes?” Joshua felt a surge of irrational anger. He knew Jeonghan was talking out of concern but after he faked fainting and the way he had to dress; everything played on his biological status and he officially had enough of it today. “Will you leave me when I’m no longer beautiful? Is that all I’m good for?”

“You know that’s not what I mean. But I also know that you’re angry at everything. Relax. Just for tonight and then tomorrow you can go on the warpath I know you want to start.”

Joshua bit his lip, feeling guilty but still angry and afraid.

Jeonghan smirked in the dark. “Do you need me to help you relax?” He wiggled his hands in Joshua’s face. “Some touching perhaps.”

Laughing Joshua pushed at his chest. “And who’s the one who said we shouldn’t do anything.”

He smiled back. “I needed to get you to laugh. I would help you but I’m afraid with the bed underneath us I would push too far.” He paused, “But then again, I’m more afraid that you would push me too far. Seducing me until I gave in.”

Smirking at him, Joshua said nothing. He wrapped his arms around him again. “Tomorrow. I’ll go on my warpath tomorrow.”

Jeonghan kissed him. “I’ll help. Can’t let my best friend steal my beloved away from me.”

“No one ever could,” Joshua said against his lips.

Jeonghan stopped, staring at him intensely. Their declarations of love were sweet, sugary more often than not. This one was intense, laden with meaning. “You’re mine forever?”

“As long as I live,” Joshua whispered. “The only children I will ever bear will be children you father. No one else can have me. Body, soul, or heart.”

“That is the best news I will ever have in my life,” Jeonghan replied. Wrapping Joshua up in his arms, he breathed deep. “Tomorrow I will help you make that come true. And then we can practice having children when your heat rolls around.”

Joshua laughed in that cute chuckle of his. “Tomorrow.”


Groaning Joshua rolled into Jeonghan more, ignoring the hand shaking him awake.

“My prince.” More shaking. “Joshua,” Soonyoung hissed. “Get up before anyone else comes in here and sees you in bed with Lord Jeonghan.”

Joshua mumbled. “If I’m ruined then they have no choice but to let Jeonghan marry me.”

Jeonghan chuckled sleepily into Joshua’s neck.

“Or they could very well push a wedding with Seungcheol to happen sooner,” Soonyoung said. “Especially if Jeonghan had with you.”

“We didn’t do anything,” Joshua said, getting up and rubbing his eyes. “I’m still a . Sadly.”

“Your highness,” Soonyoung said, scandalized. “You two…” he quivered, finger shaking as he pointed.

“We’ve done nothing. Which is sad since we’re in love.” Joshua got up from the bed, walking to his closet. “What’s the huge fuss?”

“Lord Seungcheol wants to see you. I think about last night. Since your father won’t…”

Joshua laughed, which could be heard through the open door. Why he left it open Jeonghan didn’t know? Was it to tempt him? Or to entice him to get up and watch Joshua undress. Either of those options were bad. He got up, smiling as he saw Chan scramble into the bedroom.

“My lord. Where were you? You didn’t come back to your rooms like you promised. I was worried sick. If people knew that you were in bed with Prince Joshua you’d be dead.” Chan waved his hands around, exasperated and in a mild panic.

“We didn’t do anything inappropriate. No matter how much he wanted it,” Jeonghan said with a sly smile.

Joshua emerged from his closet, clad in black trousers and a blue shirt. Soonyoung rushed over to tie a lovely bow onto the collar and fixed the Prince’s vest.

“Don’t listen to him Chan. He offered to help me relax,” with a wry smile on his face, “with his hands.” He raised an eyebrow, “Your lord has dirty thoughts a plenty.”

Jeonghan walked up and wrapped his arms around his shoulders. “You inspire such lovely thoughts my dear.”

“I’m letting Lord Seungcheol into the antechamber your highness,” Soonyoung said with a raised brow, as if he were telling Joshua to tone it down.

“With breakfast laid out?”

“Already done your highness.”

“Thank you Soonyoung.” Joshua took Jeonghan’s hands off. “Better you get dressed too Jeonghan. I’ll be waiting outside in the antechamber.”

Jeonghan held onto Joshua’s left hand. Lifting it he kissed the ring finger. “Of course, I’ll be right out my prince.”

Joshua smiled before pulling away. “Keep your lord on schedule please Chan.”

Chan saluted. “At your service your highness.” Chan pushed Jeonghan into Joshua’s closet, ignoring his protests.

Joshua walked into his sitting room. “So what brings you here Seungcheol?” He sat down, taking the cup of coffee Soonyoung offered him and drank silently.

“My father came to me this morning and told me to see you. Since we’re promised now.”

Lowering his cup, Joshua gave him a razor sharp smile. “Don’t say that again. I won’t have it. I’m coming up with a plan to get us out of this. I won’t have you. Friend or not.” He brought the cup back to his lips, taking another sip. As he lowered it, the cup moved from his hands.

Jeonghan came out it seemed. Mingyu eyes were wide enough to pop out of his skull. Jeonghan took a long gulp from Joshua’s cup, handing it back to him empty.

Seungcheol sputtered. “Did you two spend the night together? Were you trying to get yourself pregnant to get out of this?”

Joshua restrained himself from throwing his cup at Seungcheol’s dumb face. “Yes, we spent the night together. Sleeping,” he seethed. “And no I wasn’t trying to get myself pregnant. If you knew anything about omegas you would know the only time we’re fertile is during heat. And it’s not even every heat you utter imbecile.” Joshua gave him an ugly smile, “Did you learn nothing from all those fancy teachers your father spent money on? I learned from mine.”

“Hey now,” Seungcheol said, “it’s a bit too early to start on the insults.”

“He’s not wrong though,” Jeonghan mused, moving to sit next to Joshua, making sure to sit so close that there was no space in between them. He moved to take a croissant, breaking off the end to feed to Joshua, tapping against the seam of his lips until he opened to accept it.

 Joshua gave him a tiny glare, swiping his tongue across Jeonghan’s fingers but eating it.  

Nodding, Jeonghan continued, “Even I learned how omega cycles work. It’d be dumb of me not to.”

Seungcheol sputtered. “It’s not as if Jihoon is one. We were going to adopt.”

“If your father was going to let you,” Joshua snapped. He growled as Jeonghan held up a piece of toast with jam spread on it. Aggressively he took a bite, which seemed to appease Jeonghan. He chewed unable to speak. Well more like he had manners drilled into him so he chewed until it was gone.

“What Joshua is saying is that we all know that your father would’ve thrown a fit and held out. He opposed your courting since the beginning. He wanted to use you as a means for something,” Jeonghan said gently. Turning to Joshua he again held up the toast, raising a brow as Joshua lifted his lips in a tiny growl. He smiled as Joshua took another bite, but not without muttering some uncouth words from his pretty mouth aiming them at Jeonghan.

Jeonghan’s own mouth twisted. “Well it looks like your father is trying to angle his way into the royal family by using you.” His eyes narrowed as he looked at Seungcheol. “You’re my friend. One of my best friends. But I won’t have you taking Joshua from me.”

“I don’t want him!” Seungcheol snapped. “I just want Jihoon! And yes, I knew I’d have a hard time with convincing my father. But I would do it for Jihoon.” He let out a huge growl of frustration. “But look at where we are now! God damn it!”

Joshua opened his mouth, turning away from Jeonghan who held a forkful of eggs. “Let me speak Jeonghan.”

“Darling,” he said, trying to persuade Joshua, “you’re too skinny lately. You even fainted yesterday. Eat.”

Any other day and Joshua would enjoy being spoiled by Jeonghan but not today. Snarling Joshua said, “I faked it if you must know. I needed to buy time.”

“Something we need to do now,” Soonyoung muttered.

“You faked it?!” Seungcheol eyes opened wide as if he had just discovered a new side to Joshua.

Joshua whirled to face him. “Did you forget just how much longer I normally can go in the training field than you two? How on Earth did you think I would faint over something like that?”

Chan’s lips moved. And judging by the way Soonyoung snickered it was something insulting.

“Like I said I needed time,” pausing, he straightened, a lightbulb going off in his head. “Time.” Scrunching his eyebrows, he repeated once more, “Time. I need more time.” He snapped his fingers. “That’s it!”

“What’s it?” Jeonghan and Seungcheol asked.

Eyes gleaming Joshua replied, “I know what we’re going to do.”