D Day

Promises Promises

A/N: I've noticed an increasing trend to when I post things or when I update. Lots of views/readers/subscribers about five comments. And the thing is that the comments are from the same people which I love to death since they actually give me comments. I wonder a lot lately if the people reading my stuff even enjoy it since they don't seem to tell me. I've been busy so I haven't had as much time to write but I've had time. I just haven't because the silence on my updates is upsetting. I get if people are frightened but you can't expect me to keep updating for what looks to be almost no one since I don't get feedback. I don't have to keep writing to share. I spend time writing to share these stories and I share them because I know people enjoy it. Yet a lot of you don't seem to tell me that. I'm nearing the point where I feel like I should just finish what I can and then stop writing. Or just stop it all as it is. I give you my time and my work and all I ask is for a bit of yours and a few words. :/ I'll have to reconsider everything now.


All day the castle had been in a hurry. Things were brought in, put up, cleaned, cooked, all in preparation for the ball where the announcement of the Prince’s promised one was to be held. It was the biggest news that came from the royal family since it was announced that Joshua developed into an Omega.

The day that had been announced, letters came pouring in. All of them asking for the same thing, his hand in marriage. The more politely worded letters mentioned courting. Prince Joshua had seen mountains of requests. Each of one more ridiculous than the last. From those who were either too damn young or too damn old for a young teenager of fourteen. Joshua who had been old enough to take care of his own matters as he trained for this, found each letter distasteful. It disgusted him beyond belief and nearly made him swear off marriage of any sort. But he grew older, more jaded in ways; somehow though Joshua still held a small sliver of hope that he would find his happiness in whoever he deemed fit and he’d be able to marry them.

He just turned twenty the past winter but he still sent all of them away, to be burnt to make his study fires, or rejected. The White Prince had no need for anyone to come to him, nor did he want any of the suitors who sent in their gifts at a chance to be his other ruling half. Joshua needed no one to take over his crown simply because he was an omega. He’d been raised to be King, to be the final decision maker. He needed no one at his side telling him what to do.

Yet he fell in love. Stupidly he thought at first. Stupid to fall in love with one of your childhood friends, who in all honestly was just dropped into some of his lessons unceremoniously. Stupid Jeonghan and dumb Seungcheol. Two people who invaded his life, two people he didn’t want. But while Seungcheol remained in the friend circle, Jeonghan, Jeonghan crept further than friends and somewhere in the leap between teenager and adult Joshua let him in.

Joshua went to the country side for more training on how to rule and run a household the three summers after he showed his status. He ran the country estate with ease, hitting some minor hiccups with people who didn’t trust his authority. He showed them; force his father said shouldn’t always be used but when necessary show them who holds the power, and he did. They weren’t nice people anyhow, and he had several others come up to him thanking him for ridding the estate of them. He came back to the capital tan, thin, and more beautiful than ever. Shedding the baby fat, growing taller, stronger, and that much more experienced.

He greeted his friends the next day. Their jaws dropped. Apparently despite the smell change when he turned fourteen, they still hadn’t seen him as an actual omega. But they had the luck of not hitting puberty yet either, lucky for them Joshua always thought bitterly. But the summer away from them had seen them finding their own statuses. Irritating that the two of them were alphas, but it was something he expected. The way the two of them looked at him though. No. He’d show them that he was still able to wipe hand their asses to them on the training battlefield.

Smashing Seungcheol into the floor first after he made him lose his grip on his weapon, Joshua shouted for Jeonghan to man up and get his over here. As they fought he could tell that Jeonghan had watched the battle between him and Seungcheol as he didn’t hold back. But even spending summers away from each other meant nothing it seemed as Joshua could still tell where Jeonghan was still as weak as ever. Striking Jeonghan with the hilt of his sword to surprise him, Joshua began his assault, hitting him fast from all angles until the ferocity and speed of Joshua’s blows tripped him up, landing Jeonghan on his with Joshua’s sword at his throat.

Jeonghan whispered to him in one of their illicit meet ups that at that moment when Joshua took off his helmet and asked Jeonghan in what he described as a velvety purr, “Do you yield?”, that he had wanted to say that Joshua didn’t even have to ask and Jeonghan would gladly get on his knees and hand the prince his heart.

“In that moment, you looked like an avenging angel and it gave me butterflies in my stomach darling. You had sweat dripping down your beautiful face, yet the hardened look in your eyes and the smirk on your full lips aroused me to no end. It made my heart beat something bad. Not to mention sent something else throbbing as well.”

Jeonghan didn’t say that though. He had instead nodded; Joshua lowered his weapon. He rose to his knee, and taking Joshua’s blade in his gloved hand kissed it and told him that if the prince preferred he could have Jeonghan’s unwavering loyalty. The sincere look in Jeonghan’s eyes took Joshua by surprise. Jeonghan smiled up at his prince and said, “I am yours.”

And that was that. From that point on the two leaped from friends to lovers; Joshua entranced by the steadfast loyalty and what looked to be love from Jeonghan’s eyes. Jeonghan entranced by the strength and beauty his childhood friend possessed. The only difference in the change was that instead of hands drawing away, they lingered. Touches became more intimate, in places that weren’t for friends. It was easy, so very easy to go from friends to lovers. That the puzzle pieces that they were before slotted that much more easily now and with so much more want. The two were close before and all that was now was that their intimacy took a different form.

They would’ve felt bad for coming together and leaving Seungcheol alone, but he too had someone to preoccupy his thoughts, giving them ample time to run and hide from the world for a few hours at most where nothing was seen and the only things forbidden were how close and far they wanted to go.

Three years of running around and giggling like children who would get caught, sneaking kisses and time together, of courting gifts passed off as things he bought for himself, of convincing parents that perhaps summers together would be nice, please. Three years of heavy beating hearts, kisses slow like honey or quick like a stinging bee, of promising vows and pleas. Three years to lead up to this day.

Today was the day where it could finally be announced and things put into action. The day where he could actually be seen with his beloved without reprimand or fear of being too close. After tonight things wouldn’t have to be hidden anymore. Presents given in secret would finally have their origins told, instead of being passed off as something he bought for himself. Finally, the ring Joshua wanted to wear would adorn his finger and he’d have what he hoped for.


He stood as still as he could as his attendants dressed him. If he had his way he’d dismiss them all save one and dress himself, but as per tradition he was to let others dress him. In the purest of white he’d ever laid his eyes upon. Joshua would scoff at the implication if he wouldn’t offend the makers. Yet another tradition, which they tested the boundaries of plenty of times once they moved on from shy touching act. Well once Joshua made Jeonghan go wild enough to move past the idea of propriety. Things got more heated, kisses longer, deeper, touches lingering longer, in places they shouldn’t be. But he cared little as he had his beloved touching him in intimate places making him feel alive.

With the last button in place, Joshua took his reflection in. Decked head to toe in white, with glistening silver accents, with the occasional twinkle of sapphires and diamonds. The clothes were body hugging to show off his every curve and wiry muscle. If he didn’t know any better he’d peg himself as some spoiled, rich, weak omega, and only two of those descriptions were right. He would have a lot of eyes on him, which is what they wanted no doubt. But he only wanted one pair of eyes on him, Joshua knew he’d have it but still, sue him if he was a tad insecure. While he held title and looks, Jeonghan held the same. And watching every eligible omega throw themselves at him if they were interested or told to left a bad taste in Joshua’s mouth.  

He knew, Joshua knew who Jeonghan had his eyes on. He felt them over and over again, saw them light up when Joshua came into the room, felt them lingering on him, always. But it was a different sort of unsettling when he couldn’t tell the other eligible omegas to back the off. That Jeonghan was his, and unless they thought they could fight the crown prince and win they best step right off. However, he couldn’t. Joshua had no choice but to watch him dance with other people besides himself, make small talk, see him being flirted at, watch him flirt with others. He watched it all until it made him sick to his stomach.

And he had to deal with his own too. The flirting nobles, dignitaries, ambassadors, foreign royalty, everyone who thought they could sway him came at him, single or not. They made the mistake of giving Joshua his blade before, and one stupid person made the grave mistake of coming too close to touch him inappropriately. He nearly de-manned the bastard on the ballroom floor. Some had written if off as youthful brashness since he had been sixteen, but he knew that people were wary of him after that. And his father then banned his sword from making its appearance during balls and the such ever again. Couldn’t have his son accidentally lopping off something important from someone who was semi important.

Joshua made sure to show them omega or not, he’d take no from anyone. And his dressers following his father’s exact orders made sure to never give him his sword again; they allowed him to sneak in daggers, and small blades. No one could take Joshua’s weapons from him, and if he couldn’t carry his sword, well he made Soonyoung carry it for him as an extra blade. Everyone backed off after that incident. Gossip carried itself though the lands that despite being the White Prince, Joshua would not have any liberties being taken, not unless someone wanted to lose a limb.

A voice jerked Joshua out of his thoughts. “You look stunning your highness.”

Turning his head, he smiled at his attendant. “Do I?” While he could tell, the clothes were cut and made to fit close to his body, and the material was of the best quality; he couldn’t help but wonder if the extra sparkles and decorations outshined him. “I’m not lost in all the white and gems?”

“You are the brightest of them all,” Soonyoung said smugly.

Always the flatterer his friend turned man servant. “You have to say that to me,” laughing into his hand, “I’m your boss. I could have you beheaded for back talk.”

The dressers laughed, as did the tailor.

“No, my prince you wouldn’t. But I would never lie to you. You outshine them all and all eyes will be on you.” Soonyoung said, eyes conveying his sincerity.

Joshua smiled at his reflection shyly. “And what of the only eyes that I want on me?” God, he was acting like a school girl with her first crush. He’d be sickened by his behavior if he wasn’t so damn in love.

The other attendants all voiced their reassurances, telling him that everyone’s eyes would be on him, including the ones that he wanted. That he was the crown prince and he was the brightest jewel in the kingdom’s treasury.

Soonyoung though looked at him sharply with those tiger eyes of his and said confident and just a tad reprimanding, “When have they ever strayed away from you?”

Joshua looked at him a bit in shock at first, before he nodded. Soonyoung was right. When had Jeonghan’s eyes ever strayed away from him? No matter who took his attention or if he went far from him, Jeonghan would find Joshua in the end. Always.

Straightening his coat, he stared at himself one more time. Nodding at what he saw, he turned and said, “Let’s go greet the guests shall we?”


As the guest of honor, he was announced last. He walked down the grand staircase to the doors of the ballroom. Smiling, Joshua remembered that when they were younger and it was only him and Soonyoung, the two of them would slide down the banisters over and over again. Now he was walking towards the start of a new chapter. No longer that young child who played with his manservant. Knowing his father, he’d be married by the next year.

“You have the box?” Joshua asked Soonyoung, nerves in his voice.

Chuckling at Joshua, Soonyoung answered, “Or course your highness.” He snickered into his hands. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen you this nervous before. Not even when you had to go to training the day after you recovered from presenting.”

They continued down the staircase. “This and that are different. Training is nothing new. And I showed those idiots who was boss. This is important. Far more important than anything else so far. This is the rest of my life we’re talking about.” Quietly asking Soonyoung once again for reassurance, “Do you think he’ll like it?”

“Obviously. You made it with his image in mind. The love and care you put into the design shows. He’d be a stupid man not to love it.” Soonyoung patted his pocket. “Like he’d be a stupid man to hurt you once you two are officially promised.” Eyes glinting, he said, “I’ll cut him down if he hurts you.”

“I can take care of myself,” Joshua said with a bit of reprimand in his voice. Lifting one brow, “Did you forget that I regularly wipe the floor with their asses on a daily basis?”

“Nope. But as your friend and your closet servant, it’s my prerogative to have first dibs. Then I shall leave the killing blow to you.”

Joshua laughed, voice echoing down the staircase alerting the guards and footmen stationed there. “Yes. It is my right.” Lifting his head high he said, “Now let’s deal the killing blow.”

He stood at the front of the doors nodding to the footmen and the announcer. Joshua stood as the doors swung open.

“Announcing, his royal highness, Crown Prince Joshua Hong!”

All eyes swung towards the door and Joshua walked in, head high. He smiled at some people as he walked by. Joshua ignored the gasps of awe, the jealous nobles who talked behind their hands, and the gossip mongers who kept wondering about who he had chosen. He was looking only for one person. Always for that one person. And there he was. Slouching against the wall with a glass of champagne in his hands. Looking like an noble. Soon to be his noble.

Jeonghan raised his glass as Joshua walked by, a smirk playing on his lips. With each step towards the dais, Joshua could feel Jeonghan’s eyes watching him. Just as Soonyoung assured him that they would. Why he felt so scared he didn’t understand. Today was supposed to be on the of the happiest days of his life. Nothing could go wrong.


Joshua stayed on the dais with his parents as he was supposed to. He had people come up to him to congratulate him on the announcement. Others who came to wish him well on this journey to marriage. Acquaintances who ribbed him for being the first among them to be promised. Vernon, who came to up to talk to him about life and the various going ons in their lives; he left with a promise to give the shovel talk to his promised one. Leaving Joshua smiling into his own glass of champagne.

Joshua picked at his plate of food that Soonyoung graciously brought to him, reminding him to eat or he’d be too skinny for any sort activity. Chewing on a cracker, he nearly dropped the plate as Jeonghan walked up to the dais.

Jeonghan bowed to his father and mother. “Your majesties. How are you faring so far?” What that idiot was doing Joshua didn’t know.

“We’re doing well Jeonghan. How is the training with your father doing?”

“Absolutely great your majesty. My father despaired at first but with the quality work I’m doing he seems to be calming down,” Jeonghan replied with an easy smile. “He’s letting me handle the vineyard estate.”

 “Ah that’s right. He complained of you before. Now he sings your praises. Seems like you’ve changed your ways,” the King said with a smile.

Joshua nearly choked on his food. Jeonghan’s habits of lazing about was a rather large issue when it came down to choose who Joshua wanted. The whole process was easy for Joshua since he knew who he had wanted, but reading the actual information that had been compiled on Jeonghan. Well…that wasn’t so pretty.


His father called him into his study and handed him a pile of files. “You’re here. Good,” waving his hand over a medium sized pile of files, “You know what these are I assume?”

“Yes.” He pressed his lips together. Joshua could figure out a decent number of names those files held, but he hoped for a specific one. “The candidates.”

“Correct.” His father added, “You are free to add any names you want. In the case that they aren’t there and you’d like to actually consider them.”

Joshua motioned for Soonyoung to take the files. “I’ll bring back the one I want. I’ll burn the rest for my study fire.” It was a still a bit nippy considering his birthday had just passed. No need to waste the trees if he had perfectly good useless paper. He’d read the files for future blackmail material and then burn them.

“We will discuss the person you choose. No matter the promise we made,” his father said giving him a serious look.

Joshua simply walked out of the room, Soonyoung following him. His father said discuss, but to Joshua all it meant that was he would have to defend his choice.

The process of choosing was easy. Hoshi and him even had some fun with the files, sitting on the floor of his study laughing at some of the information and the candidates.

“Oh lord. Your father chose Lord Aron,” Soonyoung said holding up the file with a laugh bubbling from his mouth.

Joshua pulled a face. “Aron? Really?” He shook his head. “Father knows nothing about me. Too busy playing king to spend time with his omega son.” Pulling his pretty face into a sneer, “Aron would be like marrying a brother who I’m not even that close with. Not to mention he’s actually taken.”

Hoshi nodded. “True. Rumors of him and Lady Hyemi possibly tying the knot have been circulating something mad.” Then Soonyoung started to collapse in a fit of hysterical laughter.

“What?” Joshua asked turning his head away from a file on some older Duke that he threw in the fire.

“Your father,” more laughter petered out of his mouth, “Put Vernon in here,” Soonyoung said laughter filling the air.

“No,” Joshua said in a horrified voice.

“Yes.” He threw the file over to Joshua who stared down at it in horror. Picking the boy who felt like his only brother felt wrong, on so many levels.

“He really doesn’t know me at all,” Joshua said, looking down at the picture of Vernon. He wanted to say that it didn’t hurt, but it did. On purely emotional level it hurt, like a knife to the gut. It shouldn’t have phased him any more considering his father was absent for most if not all of his life. Dismissing the file, he tossed it to the side. “It’s no matter. Did you find Jeonghan’s yet?”

Soonyoung kept mum about the elephant in the room. He nodded. “Right here,” he paused, “I’m not sure if you’ll like what the notes have to say.”

Joshua narrowed his eyes. “Besides his habits of being lazy what else can they say about him? He’s a rather high status, can fight, educated, an alpha, has money. What does Father find lacking?”

“It might be better if you take a look on what it says.” He handed it over, scooting back a bit in preparation for Joshua’s outburst.

“Noble standing is high enough not to merit much comment,” Joshua said, pushing back a piece of hair mumbling, “Age bears no comment.” His eyes kept scanning the pages, “Physical appearance noted for being highly handsome, even with the rakish,” he raised one eyebrow, “long hair.” Joshua gave a small quirk of his lips, he wouldn’t call Jeonghan’s long hair rakish but obviously the person who compiled the report had something against it. “Personality,” he hummed. “. Friendly. Charismatic. Qualities wanted in a King’s partner. But,” his lips thinned. “But noticed to be overtly charming and too flirty. The rumors circulating on how many women,” Joshua paused anger building, “And men he may have gone through is large. Nothing can be confirmed besides hearsay from some rather desperate ladies and young men who were, are, somewhat still infatuated with the young noble.”

“His work ethic may leave something to be desired as well. The young lord is noted to be lazy. Despite being the only son and the eldest child, the way he goes about life is lacking. Education or not he is not currently putting it to use at the moment this is being compiled.” Joshua grit his teeth. The report wasn’t exactly wrong, but the way they put it like Jeonghan was doing absolutely nothing and had no plans for anything besides being a lay about. They didn’t seem to find that Jeonghan was currently handling his own investments and was thinking of opening business of sorts.

 “Overall superficially he is a good match, considering the close bond. But he lacks what a few other candidates may have in order to be a successful partner or King.” Joshua put down the file calmly. “Lacking? Jeonghan is lacking?”

In the most even voice Soonyoung had heard from his prince, Joshua said, “What Jeonghan lacks I have in spades. There’s no use for a partner to take over for me. Which they no doubt think will happen” Hoshi noted how Joshua’s hands clenched on the file though and the tightened jaw. He skidded further away from Joshua. Best to be out of the way in case he exploded.

“I wasn’t raised to be only a breeder,” he snapped. “I am going to be King and me choosing someone alpha or not doesn’t mean they will automatically take over for me. I won’t have it!” Slapping the file on the table beside them, Joshua ranted, “In any case a partner is to be another half. A person with qualities that complement me! Not override me! I can take the burden of being King as long as someone is there to help and tell me when enough is enough! I have no need for someone to be my King!”

Snorting at the other open file he abandoned, he picked it up waving it around, “This idiot! This idiot wants to be King! He would no doubt try to delegate me to being prince consort with no power once we would be married! I have no need for idiots like this!” Joshua threw the file in the flames, his nostrils flaring, “Jeonghan is perfect. He knows that I am capable and will let me handle myself. But he also knows when to pull me back and take over.”

“Of course,” Soonyoung said. He heard all the rants and yelling of the issues Joshua had to deal with plenty of times before. As tiring as it was at times, he couldn’t help but feel sorry for his prince for having to deal with all of this.

“He is the pillar I lean on when the world is spinning and I need someone to make it stop.” Joshua scoffed. “Lacking? The only thing lacking is this information collector’s brain. Father needs better spies. He’s getting behind on his network.”

“Not everyone can claim and actually have intimate knowledge on Jeonghan my prince.” Soonyoung said trying to calm Joshua down.

“People can claim. But you’re right. No can actually have this much knowledge unless they’re as close as we are.” Joshua deflated. “Now the problem is convincing Father that Jeonghan is the right one.”


“Joshua?”

Jeonghan laughed. “He’s lost in his own head again.”

The queen shook her head. “Joshua.”

Joshua jerked out of his memories. “I’m sorry. Did someone say something?”

“I asked how you were feeling tonight Joshua,” Jeonghan repeated, smirk on his face.

That stupid smirk made Joshua alternate between wanting to kiss it away or slap it off his face. Which he had done before. Slap it off. Well more like punch it off. But lately he switched to kissing the damn smile off Jeonghan’s face. Maybe he should go back to punching it off.

“Excited,” he said giving Jeonghan a small smile, “afraid.”

“Afraid?” Jeonghan asked.

“Afraid of how the person I chose won’t be happy with the gift I had made.” He gave a weak smile.

Jeonghan looked back at him gently. “I’m sure they’ll like whatever you give them my prince. I think they’ll be too happy and overwhelmed with having you as their promised one to even care about a piece of jewelry.”

Joshua smiled back, his eyes lighting up. He got the message. “Thank you for your reassurances my friend.” Soon to be his promised one.

“Ah, my father is calling me back. My apologies your highnesses.” Jeonghan bowed as the king dismissed him.

“He’s doing well,” Joshua’s mother said. “His mother sings his praises and thanks the gods for the changed attitude he’s had about taking over his father’s seat.”

His father nodded absentmindedly. One of the councilors walked up, whispering in his ear. He stood up.

The ballroom quieted.

“Today is a joyous day. A day where I can finally announce the promised one we have chosen for my son, the crown prince.”

A round of applause sounded through the room.

“Joshua,” he said, gesturing for him to come forward.

Soonyoung held out the box for Joshua to take. Gently Joshua took it from his hands, smiling at his friend, before turning to the front and walking to the center.

“I am proud to announce,”

The seconds ticked by. Joshua stared as Jeonghan moved closer, his hand in his pockets. His own hands clenched around the box that held the bracelet he had agonized over. Joshua scrapped design after design to settle on this.

“My son’s promised one,” his hands waved, “Choi Seungcheol.”