Chapter 3

Magically Brave
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It didn’t take long for Joohyun and Seulgi to become friends. Joohyun quickly learned that Seulgi was a very easy person to talk to and it wasn’t long before she started to hang out with her more often, whether it was grabbing a meal in the Great Hall or working on homework in study halls. Every so often, Wendy would tag along to their weekend trips to Hogsmeade or join them to study. Wendy and Seulgi were both getting busy preparing for their OWLs, and it wasn’t surprising that Wendy would annoy Joohyun about them. Joohyun secretly didn’t mind because it also meant spending more time with Seulgi.

 

Seulgi, on the other hand, was barely paying attention to Wendy’s pestering questions about the Defense Against the Dark Arts OWL. She was busy playing her game, furiously moving her fingers as her phone emitted music.

 

“So is it true there’s going to be a boggart? What about dementors? Oh my gosh, they’re not going to bring a real dementor, are they? I still haven’t perfected my patronus yet! Wait, I don’t even know what I fear!! How am I supposed to focus on getting rid of the boggart?!”

 

“WENDY!!!” Seulgi yelled, almost throwing her phone at the panicking Ravenclaw. Joohyun jumped from Seulgi’s yell and Wendy froze with her hands in her hair, previously ruffling it from frustration and panic.

 

“Sorry,” she sheepishly said, “but honestly, OWLs aren’t until June. We still got like, over 2 months to study. Calm yourself.” Looking back at her game, she frowned immediately. “Look at what you’ve done! I almost beat this level,” Seulgi whined.

 

Wendy scoffed. “Just because we have over 2 months doesn’t mean it’s going to get easier. We still have so much material to learn!”

 

“Yeah, yeah. I’m sure you’ll do fine,” Seulgi casually waved her hand to dismiss whatever Wendy said. “Hey, I think my phone is going haywire again. Could you fix it again?”

 

Wendy scowled. “Ugh, no, you’re such lazy bum. I still don’t know how you got into Hogwarts.”

 

“Pleaseeeee.”

 

“No means no!” Wendy firmly said and stood up. “I need to find that textbook about the Great Lake in the library. I need to brush up on freshwater creatures.”

 

And with that, Wendy left Joohyun and a sulky Seulgi. Joohyun grinned at the sight of a pouty Seulgi. “She’s too cute,” thought Joohyun. Shaking her head of the image in front of her and before she got caught staring, Joohyun asked, “Why do you play games on your phone?”

 

Joohyun was genuinely curious. There wasn’t a said rule on having muggle devices in Hogwarts, but that was because everyone expected them to go haywire. She assumed that they’re keeping this a secret from professors and the student body just in case something were to happen, like cheating on exams. She didn’t try to logic out how that would happen, because she just can’t think of one.

 

“Because I like playing games on my phone,” Seulgi simply said. She was still sulking that Wendy wouldn’t help her.

 

“Is that seriously it?” Joohyun chuckled.

 

“Yeah. I grew up playing a lot of video games, but I wasn’t as good at them like my brother. So when I wasn’t able to beat the game, I’d go do something else, like sing or dance.”

 

Her last remark piqued Joohyun’s thoughts. She didn’t really know much about Seulgi’s background and was eager to learn more about the muggle-born’s life. “You dance and sing? What was your childhood like? Were you and your family surprised about the letter to Hogwarts?”

 

“Oh, definitely. My parents thought it was a joke at first, but when one of the professors came to explain and show magic, we immediately became excited,” Seulgi looked off in the distance as she said this, probably recalling the moments when her family realized there was going to be a witch in the family. “As for my childhood… it was warm… and nice. I have loving parents and brother. We grew up with more than enough food and my parents would take my brother and me out to trips during the summer.”

 

Joohyun smiled when Seulgi donned a wide grin as she talked about her family. It sounded Seulgi grew up in a warm household and with all the love she deserved. “What about the singing and dancing?”

 

“Oh! About that…” Seulgi hesitantly looked up to meet Joohyun’s eyes. “It’s nothing. Just for fun, to be honest. My cousin owns a dance studio and during the summer, I occasionally teach the younger students there. Singing is a hobby, I guess. I like to karaoke.”

 

“What kind of songs do you like to sing? Do you like the songs from your game?” Joohyun pointed at her phone.

 

“Oh! Actually, yes, I do!” Seulgi grinned excitedly. “Well, I can’t really show you since my phone is kind of dead, but I love listening to a singer name Taeyeon. Her ballads are phenomenal. Also, her recent album is gold. I really like

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter