A Night At The Fair

Loves Quiet Place

This was still considered productive right? Jinyoung moving them from the cold outside, to a warmer area where studying would be easier was a good idea. There were no alternative motives, no plans to slack off. He had an essay that was due by friday that he could finish most of in the time he had before he had to go to work. Mark had class at 4 so he would have to leave anyway making Jinyoung sure to be on time for his 6:00 shift.

Walking through the campus from his classroom and down to the library, as he got closer to the south entrance Jinyoung saw Mark coming from the opposite walkway. The wind was not as fierce today but his pink hair still got lost in the gentle breeze making it kind of look like swirled cotton candy. Jinyoung didn’t care that that was his favorite candy, or pay attention to the connection. Nope. Jinyoung's scarf secure around Mark’s neck, headphones in to block everyone out.

Everyone but Jinyoung.

Smiling when Mark finally looked up and made eye contact. Jinyoung gave a little wave that he regretted the seconds after he did it. Mentally yelling at himself for being an actual loser before quickly shoving his hands deep into his pockets to prevent further embarrassment. If anything he could play it off as seeking the warmth radiating from his thighs, a common desire in brisk weather.

When Mark was close enough he took his headphones out and gave Jinyoung a brighter smile as he pushed them haphazardly into his pocket. Jinyoung cringed as he felt the wire knots forming the more Mark fussed with them but he remained quiet on the issue. Mark was set on letting Jinyoung lead their way into the Library, and Jinyoung felt an odd sense of joy knowing he was someone Mark felt comfortable not having his headphones in around. Like he was one of the few that got to see Mark so vulnerable, exposed, and could be trusted to protect that.

Jinyoung lead the both of them up the modern metal staircase towards the upper area where the designated quiet rooms were located. The ones towards the back of the building were the least used and always Jinyoung’s favorite. The privacy wrapped him up in a secure ball that allowed him to get everything done quickly. Opening the door Jinyoung flicked the light on and set his bag down on the table where he normally would sit. Mark followed letting the door shut behind them, before taking a seat across from Jinyoung to make it easier for him to see his mouth if he wanted to talk to him. Mark knew it was hard for people to not talk, even he still did it out of habit.

Jinyoung appreciated Mark’s making it easier on him, even if having a better look at Mark from not a side profile had him feeling a bit flustered. He wasn’t custom to this kind of face to face interaction even if they had been talking for over a week at this point. Jinyoung needed to stay focused though, he had homework due and Mark’s impossibly long eyelashes or unnaturally pink lips were not topics on his course agenda.

They were not on the schedule.

Pulling out his laptop and the two bento boxes Jinyoung slid Mark the box he had prepared the night prior for them. Mark smiled so brightly at the food before reaching over to carefully pull it closer to him. He slid over a post-it note that had a drawing of Mark stuffing his face happily. Jinyoung smiled at it and stuck it to the side of his notebook to add to his collection when he returned home later that evening.

 

I2ilXcM.jpg

The pair ate in silence, Jinyoung working on his paper between bites. Mark seemed content to sketch away while he ate and Jinyoung felt like this could be one of his favorite friendships. Mark never bothered him when he was studying, he tried not to interrupt Mark while he was sketching. When he was finished eating he put his container away and went back to his essay before another note was passed his way. He finished his sentence before he glanced over at the little paper, smirking at the words.

“Did anyone ever tell you that you chew your lip a lot when you type?”

Looking up Jinyoung playfully stuck his tongue out in reply, sticking the note with the others. Mark let out a quiet laugh, covering his mouth since he was in the middle of chewing and didn’t want to be rude. Jinyoung appreciated that even if he doubted he would care if Mark laughed with a mouth full of food.

What a gross thought.

Taking out his own pad of post-it notes, Jinyoung observed the thinning stack before him and made a mental note to buy more when he went grocery shopping later on, he was running low enough for worry. It wasn’t going out of his way to buy them, they were always stocked at the local grocery store and he found it very useful to write down little notes so he would remember to get stuff done around the apartment, in no way shape or form were they just so he could hold conversations with Mark.

“It’s a habit of mine, I’m trying to break it. I get so focused though I don’t seem to notice.”

Jinyoung stuck the note by Mark and got back to typing. Several minutes passed before Mark tapped the table with his pen to make Jinyoung look up, finishing his thought yet again Jinyoung’s attention turned to Mark, his hands coming up to let his chin rest on them carefully.

“You’re doing it again.” Mark said, wagging his finger at Jinyoung who could only laugh in return.

A real laugh though, those rare ones that only seemed to ever happen when Mark was around. He moved to cover his mouth, head falling back some as he laughed a bit harder than he probably should have. He didn’t know why he found it so endearing that Mark was going to keep an eye on him, he really had been trying to find a way to break the habit and save his poor abused lower lip. During especially demanding essays he would chew the poor thing raw and be forced to nurse it back to health with copious amounts of medicated lip balm.

He hated medicated lip balm.

“I’m sorry. Thank you for stopping me.” Jinyoung said slowly, making sure Mark was watching his mouth. He must have understood because he nodded his head and smiled brightly. Jinyoung liked that, not that he felt like he had to cater to Mark. But when he knew that he was doing everything right on the first go it was somewhat rewarding for him.

Jinyoung reached over for his notes and tapped his pen to the desk before scribbling away, sliding it over once he was finished for Mark to read.

“Do I get a prize if I can stop by the end of the week?”

Mark smirked at the note sticking it to his own note book where he had collected Jinyoung’s other post-it’s from that day, he replied back quickly and slid the paper over. Jinyoung picked it up and smiled wide at the adorable little figure of Mark thinking. He loved so much when the notes had pictures attached to them.

 

UAvSLCd.jpg

“I’m a decent cook, so maybe I can make us lunch for friday? Provided I don’t forget it in my fridge. That’s kind of all I’m good for. I have almost nothing else to offer.”

Jinyoung doubted that was even close to true, someone with Mark’s artistic talents and visual aesthetics could probably do anything he set his mind to. But to taste his cooking, now that was an interesting reward. Jinyoung felt it was actually the perfect prize for stopping a rather bad habit of his.

“Deal! Lunch is on you this friday if i can stop biting my life NOT only when we’re together but in general. Watch me win!”

Jinyoung set the note down in front of Mark and got back to doing his paper. Every time he felt himself draw his lower lip up between his teeth he would quickly release it before anything happened. By the time Mark had to get to class he was surprised at how many times he had counted him stopping himself from chewing at his lower lip.

“You win for today, I’ll see you tomorrow.” Mark said, giving Jinyoung a wink before he left the room to make for his class.

Jinyoung sat in the chair a few moments longer feeling rather proud that he was doing well so far. He knew that he had to keep it up when Mark wasn’t around, or the meal wouldn’t be properly earned, but he could do this.

He had motivation, not needing to cook extra food on thursday was a positive for him. That saved him on groceries, which he needed to buy tonight anyway if he was going to keep making them lunch for the other days. Looking at his watch Jinyoung saw he had ample time to get his shopping done before work if he left the campus within the next 5 minutes, it might make him a few minutes late to work but honestly- he had never been late before. He was entitled to one day.

He still wouldn’t admit that Mark was rubbing off on him.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursdays were Jinyoung’s long days which meant he only had the one hour with Mark before his General Psyche class with Jackson. They spent that hour again in the library passing notes and working on their homework. Mark spoke to him more which had Jinyoung feeling lighter as he walked to the class. He enjoyed when Mark spoke to him, because it always felt like a treat. He never asked for it, that would be rude. Jinyoung wasn’t rude… Well Mark didn’t know that Jinyoung was rude.

Or he did and was too polite to say anything.

Either way whenever he spoke it felt like he was opening up more to Jinyoung. He told him that in therapy they wanted him to talk more because it would help him adjust if in the event his hearing could be repaired. He confessed he was more quiet because he didn’t know if he was shouting and didn’t want to be that person. Jinyoung assured him that he was doing well with volume control, then almost lost it when Mark blushed at his compliment. The rosy color highlighting the apples of his cheeks and the tips of his ears something Jinyoung found to be so innocently alluring.

No. He had homework to do.

Once they made their way to class Jinyoung attached the paper that Mark had drawn for him to the back of his binder, it was a drawing of his weekly class schedule so Jinyoung would have a better idea of when he was free so they could talk. Jinyoung pretended not to care that every Monday/Tuesday/Thursday from 1-2, and Wednesday/Friday from 1-4 had Jinyoung’s name written in it with a little star that meant he was busy.

Jinyoung would be lying if he said his planner didn’t look somewhat identical to the paper Mark had provided him.

Thursdays meant work late, something he didn’t mind since it helped ease the financial burden his parents tried to assure him they didn’t face with him in school. He knew they weren’t poor, but they weren’t the richest either. Jinyoung living on his own was an additional cost to them that he made clear he would take care of on his own, and so far he had kept up that agreement nicely.

Strolling into the bookshop 5 minutes before his shift was set to start Jinyoung smiled brightly at the older women behind the counter. She mumbled something about Jaebum not answering his phone, and if Jinyoung saw him to let him know he got a package. Jinyoung assured her he would relay the message before he set off putting away the small stack of returns she had left for him on the cart behind the counter. Generally there weren’t many returns or books that needed to go back. Jinyoung would typically do them after his homework but with managing to get everything done that he needed to do earlier in the day Jinyoung decided to just get them over with first.

He was putting the last book away when Jaebum and Jackson came through the door, the pair whispering to each other about something that had happened at the cafe next door. Jaebum had an amused smile about his face as he laughed at a rather sour looking Jackson. The pair moved to sit behind the counter talking while Jinyoung took to straightening the rack that held some of their older architecture magazines. He was curious though, who wouldn’t be. Before he knew it he was heading up to the counter where his two friends were still brooding. Since Jackson had taken his usual seat Jinyoung just leaned against the counter and crossed his arms over his chest.

“Tell me how Jackson tried for 20 minutes to hit on this guy at the cafe, and this boy wouldn’t give him the time of day.” Jaebum laughed again, holding his side as if he were in pain from how much he had been laughing.

“You got shut down too, he wouldn’t even look at you!” Jackson tried to retort and Jinyoung grew curious. He turned around to face them better, Jackson’s frown a seemingly permanent fixture on his face.

Even Jinyoung couldn’t help but laugh at the thought of both of them being rejected, because in all honesty he knew they were two gorgeous men. Sure, they were a fair portion of the time but Jinyoung wouldn’t bother with them if that’s all there was to them. Jaebum noticed Jinyoung’s laugh and sat upright, smirking at Jackson before he looked at Jinyoung.

“Bet you’d get shot down too.” Jaebum said with a smug look about his face, Jinyoung could only roll his eyes in response.

“Probably. You know I don’t date anymore. I wouldn’t even try.” Jinyoung said honestly, shrugging his shoulders before he turned to look away from them.

“He doesn’t have it in him anymore, remember what a smooth talker Jinyoung used to be.” Jackson said in a sing song voice, and even though he couldn’t see Jinyoung could tell that Jaebum was nodding his head in agreement. Gritting his teeth Jinyoung spun back around quickly and narrowed his eyes at the two.

“Fine. Come with me, show me who it is, I bet I can get his number in under 5 minutes.” Jinyoung didn’t know what had gotten into him, maybe he was just tired of being teased relentlessly for how closed off he had become since his last breakup. Maybe it was the way his guard had lowered since meeting Mark.

He still had it though! He wasn’t an old fart yet.

Jaebum and Jackson gave each other a look before they quickly moved from behind the counter, yanking Jinyoung out by his shirt to follow them. Jaebum locked the store quickly in hopes that the boy would still be at the cafe for them to watch Jinyoung try and talk to. Jinyoung just grumbled to himself as he was pushed in the door. Nervously he looked around scanning the room before he looked up at the menu as if he were there to actually buy something. He probably should, he didn’t bring a drink with him.

“He’s around the corner sitting in the pink sweatshirt. You have 5 minutes to get $50.” Jaebum said, shoving Jinyoung towards the seating area of the cafe.

Jinyoung whimpered and fixed his shirt that had been so manhandled it came half untucked before he looked around the room. So far no pink, he saw several groups of kids studying though. A woman in an expensive looking dress fixing her hair- perhaps she was there waiting for a date. A very handsome man was sat in a somewhat red button down reading one of his favorite books by the look of the worn spine and the obvious markings from many dog eared pages, but the wedding ring was a clear sign he wasn’t the one they were talking about.

Turning the corner more to get a better scope of the room tucked away in the furthest corner Jinyoung saw Mark sitting in the same spot he had seen him in a week before, sketching away. His headphones were in, and he was wearing the same light pink sweatshirt he had been wearing earlier that day. Jinyoung mentally kicked himself for agreeing to this now, he had a great friendship with Mark how was he going to make it look like he was flirting enough to convince Jaebum and Jackson.

Maybe Mark would be understanding.

Jinyoung remembered he had the post-it notes from lunch still in his pocket, smirking he pulled them out and wrote on one before heading over to Mark’s table. He pulled the sticky end from the pad and carefully attached it to Mark’s drawing. Mark stopped what he was doing and looked at the note before looking up with wide eyes excited to see Jinyoung there. Jinyoung was quick to put his finger to his lips telling Mark to be quiet before he sat down in the empty chair across from him.

“My friends think you’re cute, and bet me $50 I couldn’t get your number. Wanna help me out and I’ll buy us a wonderful lunch for Monday?”

Mark read the note carefully, a bright smile coming to his lips before he gestured for Jinyoung to sit. Thankfully neither Jaebum or Jackson had seen the note being placed, and Mark was quick enough to get rid of it by the time they walked over trying to ‘inconspicuously’ sit at a table near by.

“I’m Mark.”

“Jinyoung.” Jinyoung made sure to face Mark so he could watch his lips carefully. Mark pretended to get shy, lowering his head as he tucked some of his longish pink hair behind his ear.

“Where is your drink?” Mark asked, sitting back in his seat to play it casual but Jinyoung could tell Mark was trying to pay close attention in case Jinyoung spoke.

“I didn’t get one. I was hoping I could get you one and myself one at the same time. Yours seems to be finished.” That was smooth, even he had to admit. Mark’s jaw dropped slightly, and Jinyoung wasn’t sure if he understood everything or was just playing along like he did sometimes.

“I’m fine, thank you. But maybe you can join me.. Tomorrow? Tomorrow night? If you’re free or something.” Mark pulled out his sticky notes and scribbled down his number before handing it over to Jinyoung.

“Tomorrow for sure. It was nice meeting you.” Jinyoung got up carefully, playfully winking at Mark as he tucked the note into his pocket. Mark chewed at his lip to keep up the games before he went back to sketching in his note pad. Jinyoung walked away, heading towards the front of the cafe where the door was. Jaebum and Jackson joined him shortly after giving him the ‘well how did it go look’

Jinyoung just shrugged and held up the post-it note that had Mark’s number scribbled on it before tucking it safely into his pockets. Jaebum and Jackson looked at each other with wide eyes before turning back to Jinyoung.

“You little devil.” Jackson said, giving Jinyoung a look that he couldn’t quite figure out. Jinyoung raised an eyebrow as Jaebum forked over the cash, handing it to him with another smile that Jinyoung also couldn’t place.

“So what are you going to wear for your date tomorrow?” Jackson asked and Jinyoung blinked at both of them rather confused.

“I don’t have a date tomorrow. The agreement was to get his number, you never said I had to follow through.” Jinyoung wouldn’t, couldn’t. Not with Mark. What they had was so precious to him there wasn’t a chance in hell he would throw that complication into their daily lunches.

“Uhm I never said that wasn’t part of the agreement. You promised him a date, are you just going to break his heart?”

Jinyoung’s face dropped, Mark knew he wasn’t serious right? That everything he said was just for the money. They both just wanted a special lunch on Monday. Looking down at the money in his hand it suddenly felt as if it weighed a ton, like it wasn’t cash but a responsibility to open up a side of him that he had become content never opening again.

“It’s settled then. You promised him a date for tomorrow night, we have no plans for tomorrow night. We can pretend to be a couple and you two will have a blast.” Jackson pat Jinyoung on the shoulder before taking his leave, Jaebum wiggled his eyebrows before leaving as well to head back down to the shop. Jinyoung griped the money tightly in his fist before cursing both of them out under his breath.

A hand on his forearm snapped him back to reality, Jinyoung’s body relaxed the second his eyes diverted to the slender fingers wrapped around his wrist, when saw the fluffy pink material he had grown to enjoy over the last few days.. Looking up finally he saw Mark with a concerned look on his face watching Jinyoung’s lips carefully. Jinyoung buckled under such beautiful eyes.

“Are you okay?” Mark asked, keeping his hand on Jinyoung’s wrist until his hand wasn’t clenched so hard on the now balled up bills. The blood and color returning to his turned white knuckles as he lowered his arm and shoved the bill begrudgingly into his pocket. Mark kept pouting, and Jinyoung kept getting annoyed that a situation would make Mark upset.

He should never be upset.

“They bet me $50 to get your number which you know. But they are now telling me I have to follow through with the date for tomorrow night.” Rolling his eyes Jinyoung crossed his arms over his chest, Mark blinked at him to show he was confused before he pulled his phone out of his pocket, pointing to it to show Jinyoung that he needed him to use his own.

“I’m sorry, you’re right. I’m being very rude.” Jinyoung sighed, also reaching for his phone to type out in the notes area what he had just went on a tangent about. He should have realized that he spoke quickly when he was upset. Mark looked over his shoulder to read what Jinyoung had written in his note pad before he looked up at Jinyoung with a raised eyebrow.

“They want to come with us on our date tomorrow night.”

“Is that what you said to me earlier? I only understood something about refilling my drink, I figured tomorrow would be a good way to play it up. I’m sorry if I put you in an uncomfortable position.” Mark spoke, eyes diverted down to the ground as he seemed to nervously kick at the dark wooden floor underfoot.

For some reason the sight before him made Jinyoung think of the drawing Mark had made for him days ago, but in a way it also made him sad. He didn’t… want Mark to think that the idea of hanging out with him would put him in an uncomfortable situation.

They were friends right? Friends did hang out right? Nothing about that would scream that they were anything other than what they were and he would still manage to get Jaebum and Jackson off his back.

Waving his hand in front of Mark to get him to look up Jinyoung offered him his best smile hoping to show that it was no bother at all before pointing to his phone. Jinyoung started furiously typing away before he watched Mark’s vibrate violently in his hand. That must get very annoying.

JY: If you’re free to hang out tomorrow I would be down for that! I’m not sure where those two want to go, but it beats the library right?

Mark’s eyes scanned his phone reading over the message before he smiled softly to himself.

MK: I have therapy after class but maybe I can meet up with you when I’m finished? It’s only an hour so I’ll be free around 6. Use the $50 towards whatever dinner we end up getting!

Jinyoung wanted to chew at his lower lip so bad, the urge itched every fiber of his being but he just sighed. His free hand came up to play with his lower lip instead, curing the itch by rubbing his fingers against the soft skin as he read, and re-read Mark’s text message several times. It wasn’t until he realized that Mark was standing right there and he wasn’t in the privacy of his home where he could fuss over this type of thing alone did he snap out of it and quickly type back.

JY: But then I owe you something for Monday for being such a good sport about all of this. Maybe I can make you dinner at my place as a thanks for putting up with my friends, and to pay you back for the delicious lunch you’re making us for tomorrow.

Mark read the message before he checked his phone, gasping to himself he looked up at Jinyoung.

“I forgot! Thank you for reminding me, I have to get home.” Mark quickly took off to clean up his stuff from where he had been sitting, Jinyoung waited a beat to process what happened before he left to head back to work shortly after Mark again yelled something about texting him to remind him to actually bring their lunch in the morning.

“So forgetful, what would he do without me.” Jinyoung laughed to himself, hands sliding in his pockets as he walked back to the bookstore in much better spirits than he had been in.

Jinyoung found a new appreciation for the night, again he felt lighter as he walked, stopping just outside of the bookstore wondering what trouble the two inside could have caused while he was gone. His phone buzzing brought him back down to earth.

MK: Don’t let me forget to bring the lunch tomorrow. I know you leave before I do. I also know you won't forget to remind me. You’re good like that. See you tomorrow, and I guess tomorrow night too.

Mark was a good friend, willing to go along and pretend to be on a date with him for the sake of making his friends shut up. Who knew, maybe after the date they would finally leave him alone about being so anti-relationship. A constant headache he had been dealing with since the day after his breakup occurred. Since the day he ended the most unhealthy three years of his life.

It was odd. This was the first time he thought about his breakup and didn’t want to smash the closest thing within reach. He had been trapped in his own personal hell for months, agonizing over every little detail of his life to deflect from the pain his heart was feeling, but now casually thinking about it he felt next to nothing for the situation and an optimism for the days to come.

He had a friend that would help him rather than judge him. Mark was a good friend.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I said I cook decently, please don’t laugh at me. I can’t do the cute shape things you can.”

Mark pouted, holding out the lunch box to Jinyoung once he had all of his things settled down in the library. It was still too cold for them to use their bench but this had become a rather lovely alternative for the pair. Taking the lunch box Jinyoung bowed his head in thanks before he sat down in his usual chair. Unwrapping the cloth that kept the box together Jinyoung smirked at the sight of the two drawings posted on top of the rather neon hello kitty bento box.

The first one was Mark mixing something in a bowl with what he guessed was a wooden spoon, his hair was sticking up everywhere looking a total mess. The second was him holding up the lunch box all wrapped up with a proud look on his face. Jinyoung could actually picture Mark looking exactly like that from the pictures, he probably had a bit of rice stuck in his hair too.

 

nldWMUX.jpg

dTsSIiP.jpg

Jinyoung peeled both pictures off carefully and set them on his note book before he opened the top to see what Mark had made. He was right, his rice balls were a bit of a mess but the smell coming off everything had his mouth watering. Jinyoung clapped his hands together happily before he gave Mark the thumbs up. He seemed relieved that Jinyoung wasn’t judging the look of it all. Presentation for food was not his strong point.

Picking up one of the little cabbage rolls Jinyoung took a bite and hummed in appreciation. It tasted delicious. His head shot up in surprise, Mark still watching him carefully with wide waiting eyes. Jinyoung covered his mouth with his hand to chew respectfully. He wasn’t about to praise anyone with a mouth full of food. Grabbing for his post-it notes Jinyoung quickly scribbled something down and slid it over to Mark.

“This is so delicious. How come I’ve been the one cooking this whole time. I’d rather this to what I make!”

Mark blushed some, looking down as the rosy coloring spread from the apples of his cheeks to the tips of his ears. Jinyoung found himself getting a bit flustered at Mark’s reaction, shifting nervously in his seat before he watched as Mark wrote something down and slid it over quickly.

“If you waited for me you’d probably starve. You know I forget everything.”

Jinyoung laughed, covering his mouth when he did so. It was true, Mark made it clear several different times that he was often the most forgetful person either of them knew. Between his lack of jackets and never remembering lunch Jinyoung wanted to wrap him up and take care of him, also to scold him but he figured as long as he could get him inside for his free time it was helping.

“We can cook together monday night then. My kitchen is small but it will do.”

Mark looked at the note and nodded, sticking it to his book before he pushed his snapback around and started to focus on his work. Jinyoung watched him carefully before he finished up eating. All of his work was done, but if Mark had work to do he wouldn’t bother him. Jinyoung just pulled out his book and started to read while they sat in silence. A calm washed over him that only Mark seemed to be able to provide, one he was starting to cherish more than he knew.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course it was a fair. Why wouldn’t it be? If there was one thing Jinyoung hated with a passion it was the carnival style fairs that popped in and out of town. The only decent part of them was endless amounts of cotton candy but even that did little to ease Jinyoung’s tense shoulders and uncomfortable glare at the flashing neon lights.

His distaste for carnivals had nothing to do with the fact that his mother forgot about him in one and he spent the entire night running from the scary clowns, eventually getting stuck under a ticket booth.

No. That was not it at all.

It was the fact that they were loud, dirty, the rides gave him a headache, and honestly okay. Maybe a little bit the clowns but honestly why would anyone want to dress up like that? There was no need for the excessively large shoes, the polka dot pants, or the bright red wigs. They could have picked a different thing to do with their life, why did they have to become a hoard of nightmare inducing monsters.

Not 5 seconds into arriving Jinyoung nearly screamed like a girl as a clown went zooming by him on a unicycle. Clutching at his heart Jinyoung gave both Jackson and Jaebum a death glare as they cracked up at their friends poor nervous system.

“ off.” Jinyoung shoved them both before his phone went off.

Mark texted him that he had just arrived, looking around anxiously he heard a “oooooooh lover boy is here.” from both Jaebum and Jackson that had Jinyoung about to hit them again until he spotted Mark walking with Someone he didn’t know. A boyfriend perhaps… Was Mark even gay.

Oh lord.

Jinyoung didn’t know that! He didn’t even ask. Well it was often rude to ask. He kind of gave himself away by his friends bribing him to get Mark’s number but what if Mark didn’t even like guys in that way and thought Jinyoung was some gay charity case. Not that someone as pure as Mark would ever have those thoughts, but that’s why he had Jinyoung. To have those thoughts for him. None of this was making sense.

When Mark and his friend walked up both Jaebum and Jackson went back to trying to act cool. Jinyoung was not blind to the way Jaebum seemed to be staring at Mark’s friend. Making a mental note to use that to his advantage later as a secret sort of payback for making them go out like this.

“I’m sorry we’re a little late. This is Youngjae. He couldn’t decide what to wear.” Mark playfully looked to his friend who frowned. Jinyoung raised a curious eyebrow about if he could hear or not. He turned to face Mark directly, his hands on his hips as he spoke.

“That was you. I’m not the one that spent 10 minutes fixing hi-” He went to say but Mark was quick to cover his mouth so he couldn’t finish whatever he was about to say.

“Are you..” Jinyoung asked curiously but Youngjae didn’t turn to look at Jinyoung. Mark saw him talking and removed his hand facing Youngjae in his direction. “I’m sorry are you two the same or..” Jinyoung wanted to crawl into a ditch.

“No! Oh wait no! I’m only in this ear.” Youngjae pointed to the left side of his head and it made sense now as to why he didn’t hear Jinyoung at first when he spoke.

“Wait what is he, Jinyoung what’s happening.” Jaebum blinked from his trance, looking at Mark confused.

“I’m deaf in this ear.” Youngjae again pointed to his head then nodded to Mark who looked up with a smile. “He’s deaf… in both ears” Youngjae said loudly and both Jackson and Jaebum’s head snapped to look at Jinyoung.

“Dude did you know that!!”

Their unison was not appreciated.

“Of course I did. Doesn’t change anything. He’s still beautiful.” Jinyoung shrugged and Youngjae raised an eyebrow. He turned to Mark and signed something that made Mark blush. Jinyoung looked over and swatted at Youngjae’s hands.

“That is cheating!” He said, moving to playfully push the boy closer to Jaebum who stuttered over his words before he offered his arm to Mark.

They were supposed to be on a date after all.

Mark let out a soft laugh and took it. Youngjae wagged his eyebrows at Mark as they moved closer to the entrance of the carnival. Jinyoung pulled out his wallet and paid for them both to have the unlimited access wrist bands before moving to carefully attach Mark’s to his left wrist. He eyed the bright neon pink band before wrapping Jinyoung’s around his left wrist.

“Can we go in the mirror house?” Mark asked, looking up to Jinyoung’s face. Jinyoung smiled softly, even though in his mind he was screaming that there could be clowns in there and that was the last place he wanted to go.

“Of course.” He spoke betraying his own mind and let Mark drag him by the hand through the carnival towards where the giant fun house had been set up.

Looking up at the worn down metal structure Jinyoung felt his mouth run dry with terror. Eyes hardly blinking as he caught a sight of the giant clown on the side of the building waving for kids to come on it. Mark, the brave soul he was, got in the line of 4 others and excitedly bounced on the balls of his feet. Seeing that child like amusement Jinyoung felt a majority of his worry wash away. The clown in the background seemed to fade into a void of things surrounding Mark’s shining face. Jinyoung’s heartbeat increased, enough to make him take a deep breath in a sorry attempt to calm it down.

This wasn’t a date. This wasn’t a date.

“Two?” The guy said once they reached the front and Jinyoung nodded his head. Speaking for Mark who was still looking up at the entrance with bright eyes. Waving both he and Jinyoung in Mark moved to have Jinyoung link their fingers together so he wouldn’t get far away from him.

That was probably for the best, Mark wouldn’t be able to tell if Jinyoung was calling to him so this was the most probable course of action. Walking inside the first obstacle was the mirror roo. Jinyoung used his free hand to feel around the walls as the strobe lights ahead served to throw them off. Mark walked into a wall which made Jinyoung walk into him. Both of them erupted into a fit of giggles as they did their best to find the correct path. At some point they got stuck in a dead end and had to push beyond the tight space to get out.

Jinyoung took the lead now since he had been the last in the tight space. Once they managed to get out and into a room of Mirrors Jinyoung stood next to Mark and started cracking up at how silly they looked. Mark took his phone out and made a stupid face for a selfie, Jinyoung followed along before cracking up at them. Mark moved to the next mirror, and then the next. Each one Mark was sure to capture a new selfie.

By the time they were done they reached a series of tunnels and rope areas that they had to climb through. Jinyoung let Mark go first in case he got stuck Jinyoung could always see him incase something happened. When they made it through the pair got to a room that had odd looking punching bags hanging from the ceiling. Jinyoung looked at Mark and smirked before he quickly pushed through them, surprised at himself when he noticed just how much fun he was having. It wasn’t until they got out and he was face to face with a giant clown telling them to go down the slide did his whole body freeze.

Mark must have noticed, looking at how Jinyoung’s whole body seemed tense. Mark giggled and moved to pull his bandana out of his pocket, carefully tying it around Jinyoung’s eyes so he couldn’t see the clown.

“Take my hand. Trust me.” Mark said softly, moving to lace Jinyoung’s hand with his own pulling him closer to the slide. “Get down on your knees. The slide is close.” Mark added, and for some reason Jinyoung did everything asked of him without question.

His hands felt around, feeling the sides of the slide and was able to situate his body so that he was sitting properly enough. He felt the dip by his legs meaning he wasn’t backwards which was good. Seconds later he felt Mark’s body press up behind his, a blush came to his cheeks at how close they were and the location of Mark’s hands around his midsection. Jinyoung scooted his body forward carefully and the two of them started down the slide. Jinyoung let out a laugh before they both hit the bottom of the slide and fell on the safety mat below.

All Jinyoung could do was laugh at the state of them, reaching up to pull the blindfold off so he could actually see that Mark was okay. Mark carefully got up dusting himself off. Jinyoung sat up and shook his head before reaching up to fix his glasses. He became a bit alarmed at first not feeling the thick frames perched on his nose, but then remembered.

That’s right. He wore his contacts.

Not because he thought he looked better without his glasses, that had nothing to do with it. But if in the case they went on rides he didn’t want to worry about them flying off his face. That was the only reason. For convenience. Not vanity.

Standing up Jinyoung brushed his pants off, fixing his shirt before he went to hand over Mark’s bandana. Mark took it and moved close to Jinyoung reaching up to play with his hair, styling it back before he tied the bandana around his head. Jinyoung looked up, not that he could see anything, but with Mark so close to his face the last thing he needed was to get caught looking at his lips. He needed to focus on anything but if his sanity was to remain in tact.

“Perfect.” Mark praised, turning to pull his phone out of his pocket making Jinyoung take another picture with him. Looking closer to it Jinyoung couldn’t help but crack up, hand coming up to cover his mouth as he did so, His body keeling over slightly. Mark joined him in laughing, leading Jinyoung through the final tunnel until they got out of the attraction and back into the main Carnival. Outside in the open the two were still laughing, Mark wiping at his eyes before he looked up at Jinyoung and pulled his hand away from his face.

Quickly Jinyoung stopped laughing, looking at Mark’s fingers on his wrist before looking back up to see his face.

“You have a nice smile, I don’t like it when you cover it.” Mark said honestly, that hit Jinyoung. Hard. Again the pace of his heart picked up as he looked at Mark, eyes studying to see if he was for real before he felt not only his cheeks but neck and ears become heated.

Jinyoung had to pull his hand away, nervously shoving them into his pockets as he looked down at the floor. It was his turn to kick the dirt around as he struggled to find something to say. Mark looked a little upset and Jinyoung was sure that Mark didn’t understand why he was being as distant about the subject as he was.

“It’s not… I’m sorry I just..”

Just what? Got out of a soul crushing relationship that took everything with me? Was left abandoned by someone I gave my whole heart to that ran off with another man that I caught in our own home. That now the idea of getting involved keeps me up at night and even though deep down I think you’re the world I don’t trust that you also won't find someone better and leave too.

“It’s complicated.” Jinyoung sighed and Mark chewed at his lower lip, watching Jinyoung before he nodded his head. Reaching out Mark nudged Jinyoung to pull his hands out of his pockets, carefully lacing their pinkies together. Looking down at their hands Jinyoung smiled softly.

“Hey, This might be a weird question but do y-”

“THERE YOU ARE! We thought you both got lost!”

Jinyoung cringed as Jaebum’s booming voice rang through the crowd. Mark pulling his hand away carefully as 4 boys walked over to them. Jinyoung raised an eyebrow at the addition of Yugyeom to the group.

“When did you get here.” Jinyoung asked and Yugyeom shrugged.

“Probably 5 minutes ago, they said you and your new boyfriend ran off. I didn’t believe them.” Yugyeom turned to Mark and waved politely. Mark waved back happily, looking to Youngjae who started to sign something to him explaining what was going on. Jinyoung felt jealous in that moment that he didn’t know what was happening, that they had their own secret thing- which wasn’t a secret because so many people knew sign language.

“Wait are they deaf?” Yugyeom looked confused, turning to Jackson for an answer.

“No, Jinyoung's boyfriend is. The other one can hear out of one ear.”

“Not my boyfriend, nope. No. We aren’t dating. I don’t date remember!” Jinyoung threw his hands up, eyes wide at the accusation before he looked at Mark who was giving him a blank stare. Youngjae giggled and signed something, but Mark didn’t seem to smile back.

“What did you say to him?” Jinyoung frowned, reaching over to let his fingers gently brush with Mark’s own. Mark looked up at him and moved his hand away pushing them into his pockets.

“That you’re scared to date another man.”

Jinyoung’s jaw dropped, his eyes going wide before he turned to Mark.

“That’s not… no…” Mark wouldn’t look up at him and Jinyoung whimpered. “I can fix this. Don’t laugh!” Jinyoung scolded Jackson before he grabbed Mark by the wrist and pulled him away from the group.

They had to leave the carnival to get to Jinyoung’s car. Mark still had an unhappy look about his face, and honestly every second without that smile made it harder for Jinyoung to breathe. He let go of Mark’s arm the second they got to the car and he quickly went in his trunk digging around for the extra post-it notes he had purchased. Ripping the pack open he grabbed one of his new pen’s and shut the trunk. Mark walked around curiously and watched Jinyoung scribble before he slid the pad over to him.

“It’s not that I don’t date men… I’m… I mean I’m gay but like. I don’t want to scare you with that if you don’t and.. I just.. Got out of a bad relationship so I said I don’t date in general.. Not that I don’t date men. I only date men.”

Jinyoung was sure most of it was chicken scratch, moving to cover his face in his hands wishing he could just somehow vanish to the underside of his car before he felt Mark’s hands pull his own away from his face. Mark stuck a note to his cheek and Jinyoung sighed as he pulled the adhesive off. Turning it around he saw a little cartoon of he and Mark holding hands.

 

vPjiF9Y.jpg

“I’m gay too. But I’ve never had a boyfriend before. People don’t date deaf boys…”

Jinyoung stared at the words for what felt like forever, eyes scanning over every character getting angrier and angrier the more he saw it. Don’t date deaf boys.. Who in their right mind would ever waste an opportunity to be with.. Oh.

Jinyoung looked at Mark nervously, chewing at his lower lip out of a nervous habit before he reached down to take both of Mark’s hands in his own, their fingers lacing together carefully Jinyoung made sure Mark was looking straight at him.

“Your beauty is not impaired because your hearing is. You are breathtaking Mark. Your smile is literally the highlight of my day.”

Mark watched carefully as Jinyoung spoke, his face shifting into some odd expression Jinyoung had never seen before before he was being pushed back against the car. Jinyoung could only gasp as Mark’s whole body pushed against his, his face burrowed into his neck making Jinyoung register their height difference for the first time. Mark’s hands let go of Jinyoung’s own to reach carefully to his sides, clinging to the material covering his body. Jinyoung felt the heat in his cheeks as he moved his own arms around Mark’s body to ensure that he remained close to him.

“I was really hoping that you wouldn’t stop talking to me if you found out I was gay. I didn’t know you were but like. Gay… and deaf? That’s not really a winning combination.” Mark mumbled against Jinyoung’s neck, the softness of his breath tickled at the skin sending a chill straight down his spine. Jinyoung just clung tighter to him, resting his cheek on the top of Mark’s head for a few moments longer before he pushed him away enough so they could see each other.

“There is nothing that could make me stop talking to you, you’re a solid part of my schedule. I never break my schedule.” Jinyoung said slowly and Mark’s face lit up. Not because of the carnival lights next to them, not because of the streetlamp above, but because of Jinyoung’s words.

“I’m sorry someone broke your heart. Their loss is my gain though. One day I hope you let me in to fix the cracks and make everything better again.”

Jinyoung’s heart picked up for the 3rd time that night. His mind which had been racing all night overthinking every single thing he did fell quiet. The sounds of the carnival became quiet around him, the chattering of other couples in the parking lot seemed to vanish as he saw the sincerity written all over Mark’s face as he spoke.

Maybe, just maybe. Jinyoung would admit for just tonight that his feelings were more than he allowed himself to believe. That it wasn’t the quiet library keeping him happy, or the quiet serenity of their bench that brought peace to his mind but the person he was with doing so.

“Thank you for giving me time, you’ve already helped more than you know. I hope you can be patient with me.” Jinyoung knew it was a lot to ask for but Mark just nodded his head as if he agreed before pulling away more. The second Mark was no longer in his embrace it was as if the world went back into focus. The sounds of screaming ride gowers an attack on his senses. Reaching for the post-it notes Jinyoung set them in his pocket with the pen in case he would need it again.

“We should get back. Youngjae thinks one of your friends is trying to sleep with him, we shouldn’t leave him alone long.”

Jinyoung cracked up at that, thankfully Mark wasn’t really looking at him as they made their way back into the Carnival, but it was the first time in ages Jinyoung didn’t cover his mouth. He couldn’t. His hands were busy laced in Mark’s own, and right now that was a priority.

Notes:

i'm currently accepting prompts on twitter! or on tumblr. the main place to reach me would always be twitter but feel free to leave them here in the comments below as well! thank you for reading if you liked it let me know. i know i have others to work on but this will probably be my main story for the time being.

All of the adorable art you see in this story was made by the amazing avery!please go love and support her. If you use any of these images make sure you credit her!