What is Fate?

(NBin) unWRITTEN

[CHAPTER 1]

"What is Fate?"

 

 

Far out of reach from mankind is a place unknown hidden from all forms of detection. In a distant universe is another dimension that no one knows about. They exist to be the invisible facilitators to those whose stories are led by fate. They don’t need to be known, nor do they wish to be acknowledged. As far as they can remember, they were born into this universe to watch over those that cannot watch over themselves. Those who live on the edge of the universe is guided by the Goddesses of Moirae. They were born because of the Goddesses, but are they Gods? No. But are they humans? No one will ever know.

“There is no mere coincidence in this universe. Every meeting, every encounter has a meaning and a purpose. Some fate leads to fortune while others may not be so fortunate. Some may live a long life while others may live a short one. But our job isn’t to correct what we believe is wrong, but rather, we watch over the river of fate and the courses their lives take. We do not manipulate human fate with our power nor do we change the course of fate as we please, we are here to help make sure that this universe, led by the Goddesses of Moirae, flows by the fate of time.”

Clap. Clap. Clap.

In this auditorium of the main facility is a great man, one of his kind, and standing in front of the many new recruits and students that have been finally accepted into this place. This place is known as ‘Moirae’s Edge’.

This is a place where fate is kept.

Moirae’s Edge is a large and highly guarded place where billions and billions of human fates is kept. Every human has a fate of his or her own and every fate is narrated in a book entitled by that person. A story that belongs to them only.

Recruitment into Moirae’s Edge only occurs once every five years and only a few specially selected individuals are actually accepted into the place. After all, only the best of the best was allowed to touch what ‘fate’ is about. The facility is divided into a branch or hierarchy that determines where each person will excel in.

At the top of the branch is the Director of the place or the man who was standing in front of the many right now, making a proud speech of the facility.

Then, we have four departments, each with their own individual roles regarding the duties of the facility – Guardians, Coordinators, Philosophers and Scholars.

The Guardians have two different roles, one is to protect the facility and the other is to make sure that each person’s book of fate is protected and guided in the right course.

Coordinators on the other hand, ensures that human fate is directed in the course that is already predetermined for them in their story. Their duty is to make sure that everything goes according to the will of the Goddesses.

Philosophers and Scholars, both research and studies each human’s fate. They ask questions as to why ‘fate’ exists and how each fate differs from one another. They are mostly intrigued by the knowledge and intelligence of each human they read about as well as the decisions others decide to make.

Amongst these departments, however, is another smaller division. They do not watch over the facility like the Guardians or the Coordinators nor are they required to do an extensive amount of research like the Scholars or Philosophers. Instead, they have one simple role in the facility and that is to maintain the library of fate. The Library of Moirae.

They are the ‘Keepers’.

“Everyday we have many new applicants who wishes to join our cause and the greatness our Goddesses have set for us to follow. For those who are able to sit here today, feel proud of where you are and the fact that you have already taken the first step into being greater than all. There may have been many of you who have tried countless times in the past to reach as far as the doors to this auditorium and some of you have succeeded in just one try. But do not forget, that the reason why you were chosen is because the ladies of Fate wishes to meet you all. Your fate has brought you here and this is no mere coincidence. From this day forth, I welcome every one of you to Moirae’s Edge!”

Clap. Clap. Clap.

The tall and proud man bowed at the top of the stage after his speech. Gracefully and confidently, he made his way off the stage. After a moment, all the new students got up from their seats and off to their assigned departments.

It’s finally over. The boy who sat on the chair, yawning and half asleep thought to himself. He sighed a relief as the long speech was finally over. He looked around and saw that there was still crowds of students trying to squeeze their ways out of the auditorium.

They said that only a few gets selected every few years right? Then what’s with this number?

He looked around and started to count the uncountable.

There’s at least a hundred here this year… he slouched on the chair and sighed again. Why am I even here? How did I get into this darn mess?

After a moment when only a few remaining students were left, the boy finally decided to get up from his seat and made his exit. He stared at the entrance pamphlet and his acceptance papers during the selection to see which department he was in.

‘Keepers,’ it read.

He’s forgotten how many times he has already sighed since this morning when he stepped into the gates of the facility.

I just want to go home already… ugh…

As he walked down the long corridors, groups of students in their respective department uniforms could be seen. Each uniform also determined each person’s rank in the facility. The more stars you get on the right side of the chest of the uniform meant that you were ranked higher in the selected department.

He looked at his uniform. Nothing.

Every student that he passed by had such surprised and happy expressions on them, they were all excited to have been selected into the facility. Being able to study and work in Moirae’s Edge in this universe was an honorable and major accomplishment. But, it wasn’t the case for him at all.

“Oh ya? If it isn’t Kong!” Someone called out to him and rushed to approach the boy.

Hongbin squinted his eyes to see who was running up to him.

“J-jaehwan-hyung??” He was utterly surprised.

“Wow! I can’t believe it! The hermit from home actually decided to leave the house. I thought I was hearing things when Kim Wonshik told me about you getting selected here.” The older was ecstatic to see the younger.

“Ugh, don’t even mention that name! If it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t have to be here in the first place.” The younger boy, Hongbin was obviously annoyed.

“Hmph. You should be thankful instead.” Another stoic faced boy came to join the two of them who were making a fuss in the middle of the corridors.

“Tsk.” Hongbin clicked his teeth. “You’re the last person I want to see right now.”

“Now, now kids, play nice okay?” Jaehwan said as both Wonshik and Hongbin are the same age and a year younger then him. “So what department are in you?”

“…” Hongbin didn’t want to reveal it. It wasn’t that great of a title to be honest.

“Well? Com’on Kong-ah, stop giving me the suspense! I’m dying here!” Jaehwan joked around.

“K—Keepers…” Hongbin sighed.

“PFFT!! Seriously? How’d you get into that department? They never even need any one new in that position.”

“I’d like to know as well.”

“Don’t look down on the title of the position. You can still become something great while starting at the bottom.” Wonshik said in a strict tone.

“Yeah, says the one who has three stars already in the Guardians department.” Hongbin wasn’t pleased to see his friend’s shiny stars on the uniform.

“Wonshikkie will never beat my pretty five stars in the Coordinators unit though!” Jaehwan laughed and proud of his accomplishments while flashing it in front of the obviously annoyed Hongbin.

Hongbin sighed.

“Just leave me alone.”

“Oh, so have you met your supervisor yet?” Jaehwan asked as the three of them walked down the corridors instead of blocking the way.

“No, not yet. The Director wanted to see me first before I go to the library.”

“Wow, the big man himself wants to see you? You must be something special,” Jaehwan nudged the younger.

“Is he really that great though? I saw him during the orientation and he doesn’t look that impressive to me at all. He looks just like some kind of studious pretty boy in my opinion.”

“Pfft, says the good-looking hermit himself.” Jaehwan laughed. “But I don’t know, for all I can remember is that our Director right now have been a student here for the past twenty years. He was specifically selected by the Goddesses themselves so he must be capable right?”

“It doesn’t matter if the Director is great or not, just do your own job and one day, you’ll be as great as him,’ Wonshik said.

Hongbin glared at the serious Wonshik.

Hongbin never liked going out. Their land was at the edge of the universe, barricaded inside of a shield where no man can detect them while they lived their own lives. He was never as keen on attending the facility as the majority of the people did in his land. He just wanted to live an easy life and die without regrets. Being free to do what he wanted was all he really cared about.

But his friend, Kim Wonshik was different. They grew up with Jaehwan together in the same neighborhood since they were young. While Hongbin had no driving force, Wonshik was ambitious. He strived to succeed and his goals were to reach the top of the Guardian’s department just like his great grandparents did.

Wonshik, who had entered the facility two years before Hongbin, decided to refer Hongbin to the facility without letting his friend know. Hongbin had no clue of it until one day, a mail came in, saying that he passed the first evaluation.

Hongbin was fairly annoyed and angry that Wonshik did such a thing without asking him first.

“Are you just going to trap yourself forever in your room? Where are your ambitions? Where is your passion?” Wonshik questioned him.

“I don’t care about those things! I’m not you!” Hongbin argued back.

The two of them had a huge fight but eventually, Hongbin gave in.

Though he and Wonshik never really saw things eye to eye, Hongbin knew that his friend meant well. So, he wrote the entrance exam and by luck, got into the Moirae’s Edge.

Even Hongbin still questions how he was able to pass the exam without studying a single bit.

 

*  *  *  *  *  *

 

Hongbin makes his way to the Director’s office and stands in front of the doors for a few good seconds. He takes a deep breath.

Knock. Knock.

“My name is Lee Hongbin sir. I heard you wanted to see me?”

“Come in.” The man on the other side replied.

Hongbin opens the door and carefully steps into the office. The place was quite minimalistic and simple. A single wooden desk at the front and a few guest sofas on the side. At the very end was two large windows which the light showed a large shilouette of a chair at the center.

At the very front of the room was the Director himself. Sitting and waiting for Hongbin’s arrival.

“Welcome.” He got up from his chair and took out his hands for the new student.

“Uh, um, it’s a pleasure to meet you sir.” Hongbin felt nervous meeting the man face to face. After all, this person who was in front of him had the highest position there is of this facility and of this land aside from the Goddesses.

“Please, take a seat.” The Director offered.

Hongbin listened and sat down on the chair and looked around the room as if he could not meet the Director’s eyes at all. He glanced at the name plate on the desk – ‘Park Hyoshin”.

“Um, what was it that you wish to see me about sir?” Hongbin really wanted to get this meeting over with. He was too nervous and wanted to leave immediately.

“What do you think of our facility so far?”

“Huh? It’s nice, I guess?”

“Haha. That’s good to hear. Actually, I wanted to meet you in person ever since I reviewed your application.”

“Really?” Hongbin didn’t understand why. What’s so interesting about someone who never goes out?

“Yes. I see you have quite an impressive record for school even though you don’t seem like the studious type.”

Hongbin laughed nervously as he was caught. He just wasn’t interested in studying but getting him good marks at least got rid of the pests that would nag him about his school work.

“I’ve read your answers on the exams and I will be honest with you, we usually would not accept just anyone with a good mark on the entrance exams.” He told the younger.

“Then why?”

“I didn’t choose you. The Goddesses did.”

“The Goddesses of Moirae?”

“Yes.” The Director smiled. “As you know, not many people are in the Keepers unit of this facility. But that isn’t because it is a boring or tedious job, nor is it hard to get in but the position is special. You have to be chosen by the three Goddesses that guards the library of fate in order to be accepted into the position as a Keeper. You may find it uninteresting to be in the library all day, that I understand. But in due time, I’m sure you will find that the stories of human fate is more intriguing then you think.”

“I see…” Hongbin said but he actually didn’t know whether to be happy about the position or not.

As Hongbin finished his short meeting with the Director, he got up from his seat and was about to dismiss himself from the office.

“Hongbin.” The Director called out again.

“Yes?” Hongbin turned around.

“There is no such thing as coincidences in this universe. Everything is set by fate and fate has brought you here with us today. But also remember, just because we are led by fate doesn’t mean that you are bound by it.”

Huh? What is he saying? Is that really something the Director of this facility should be saying? Hongbin questioned in his mind and took a bow before he left the office.

 

*  *  *  *  *  *

 

Hongbin walked along the halls while still questioning what the Director meant when he said ‘fate doesn’t bind you’. The Director of this facility should be the one who stands next to fate the most yet what he said to Hongbin felt as if he was contradicting his position.

Hongbin sighed as he finally reached the library where his days as a Keeper would take place.

This is the Library of ‘Fate’. Yes, where each person’s fate was narrated and written into their own story. This place was different from the reference and study hall that was located on another end of the facility, this library was strictly forbidden to those that did not belong here.

Hongbin, who is now appointed as a Keeper had all the rights to be here though.

He took careful steps onto the glimmering wooden floors and reached the center of the library. He looked up to the never-ending ceiling as he could see the countless levels of books that towered above him. He glanced at around to see a thin golden string that led from one sculpture to another. A total of three statues, the statues of the Goddesses of Moirae. Hongbin was in awe by the magnificent interior of the library.

He was intrigued like never before.

He has heard many great things about this part of the facility but to actually witness it with his own eyes, it was completely different from his expectations.

“So, you’re finally here.” Someone noticed Hongbin and walked down the spiraling stairway.

“You are?” Hongbin snapped out of his daze.

“I will be your supervisor here in the Library.” He placed down his books and approached Hongbin in a rather intimidating stance. “My name is Seo In Guk.”

“Nice to meet you sir, my name is Lee H-“

“Lee Hongbin. I know.” In Guk interrupted him. “Do you know what your duties are as a Keeper?”

Hongbin shook his head.

“Hmph. Clueless yet you were still chosen. I don’t understand why these three chose you to be here,” In Guk glanced at the three Goddesses with an obviously unpleased expression on his face.

What’s his problem? Hongbin wasn’t very happy to see such a stern supervisor.

“Well, it doesn’t matter. All you will do here as a Keeper is to make sure each book is placed at where it is supposed to. Clean up the place and keep it in shape. You don’t need to do more nor will you do less. Got it?”

“Uh, okay I guess?” It wasn’t as if Hongbin could actually say no.

In Guk glanced at the younger once more and walked away.

“Wait! Where are you going?” Hongbin shouted after him.

“None of your business. Just do your duties by the end of the day and go home whenever.”

Without another word, Hongbin’s supervisor left the room while leaving the younger still dumbfounded at the center of the Library.

 

*  *  *  *  *  *

 

Days as a Keeper was boring, even worst than when Hongbin locked himself at home to laze off. He climbed the ladders from one floor of the library to the next and dusting off the shelves carefully.

“What am I? A janitor?” Hongbin grunted to himself.

Yet, he still continued to clean off every dust and cobweb he came across.

As a Keeper, he didn’t meddle with any of the books that were within the Library and just as warned, it was against the rules to interfere with fate that was set by the laws of the universe. But from time to time, Hongbin grew curious about each book’s story.

Every book had a title. It was a title that was named after the sole protagonist of the story from the beginning of their lives until the end.

From the bottom level of the library was the newborn fate that needed to be recorded and watched over more. Hongbin would inspect each title and record the names into a record log but aside from that, he did nothing else regarding to the new stories that would appear inside of the library. As the levels got higher, it meant that the stories were nearing their end. At the top floor of the Library were the oldest of books, whose protagonists were reaching the end of their time. The open ceiling where those old books reached the closest to, meant that they were going to descend into the Heavens very soon.

Hongbin sighed and took a long stretch to ease the pain from his back after cleaning for several long hours.

“Honestly, what’s so honorable about this job? I don’t get it!” He scratched his head and messed up his hair in distress. “What’s so interesting about reading other people’s lives?”

Why do people have to live according to fate? Why must fate have to be this way? What exactly are your goals? Hongbin looked at the three Goddesses as if they would give him the answers. Why did you guys choose me to be here?

Without having any of his questions answered, Hongbin continued his days just the same as usual. There were no spectacular changes and he was slowly becoming used to the usual routines.  That is, until one day, he came across something he found behind one of the shelves.

“Huh? This wasn’t here before. Did it fall out from one of the shelves?” Hongbin picked up the book that was just lying there.

But the book was strange, different from the rest.

“What the…” Hongbin had a strange feeling as he looked at the book and inspected it.

It was unlike any of the stories in the library. It had a solid black cover and smudged inking all throughout. As Hongbin opened up to see what it was inside, he became shocked.

“It’s blank?!”

All stories, all fate should have been written yet this one, was empty. To be exact, the story that was supposed to be in the middle was completely gone. Each page was torn and scratched yet still, there was no ending. Hongbin flipped through the pages and saw writings in the beginning of the story but strangely enough, the ending was not there.

Thump. Thump.

It was as if this unpredictable story was calling out to Hongbin. He grew interested in why this book was different from the rest. It was the first time in his life where he was genuinely intrigued by something. He closed the book and dusted off the cover.

On the very front of the book was the name of the protagonist, the owner of the story:

- Cha Hakyeon -

1990.06.30

 

 

*  *  *  *  *  *

A/N: Welcome to the official first chapter of my new fanfic! As you can see, this story will be a blend of fantasy and reality once more. Though I would say that it is going to be a 'story-ception' ~ You'll understand what I mean soon enough.

I hope that the first chapter as well as the prologue caught your interests and I'm looking forward to reading every comment/feedback you guys leave.

 

Also, I've attached a character chart of those that have appeared thus far in the beginning just to make it a bit easier to see the departments of Moirae's Edge.