Chapter 5

Heartrap
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Water, everywhere around him was water.
He didn’t know how long he was already fighting against it, trying to hold his head above the surface. He tried to wave his arms and legs furiously, hoping this way he won’t sink and that someone would see and help him. His vision was blurry as he tried to scream for help, but was muffled when even more water crept into his mouth, making him choke hard. Suddenly the waves pulled him under water. The instinct not to inhale was strong, but he couldn’t help himself, but to drag water in his mouth with a spasmodic breath when he felt his break-point closer. Half-conscious by the lack or air, he lost any energy to fight his way back up to the surface. The water flooded his lungs and they started to burn from the salty liquid that had replaced his oxygen supply as he was desperately gasping for air under the surface. Then, he realized it’s not worth anymore, no one will come to save him, so he breathed the water in on purpose to just get over it. There were no more thoughts in his head as his body was warped in an awkward posture with his torso arched forward and his limbs flowing backward. He was starting to get lightheaded before suddenly everything went black.

 

June was crying hard, chest heaving and nose running, his hair frizzy and stuck to his forehead, sweat dripped from his face on the bedsheets. This was already the second time this week that he had been waking up from the same nightmare. However, this time something was different. He could feel his hands into someone’s shirt. It was Jinhwan, who hugging June so tightly against himself that June couldn’t move away even if he tried to, but instead of trying to separate himself from Jinhwan’s hold, he automatically hugged the smaller back, loving the way his body seemed to relax as he felt Jinhwan’s warmth. Jinhwan ran his fingers through June’s messy hair, pushing back his fringe that stuck to his forehead. June could still hear his heart pounding in his ears and panted harshly when Jinhwan reminded him to breathe as he caressed his back with his other hand. They stayed like this for a good ten minutes, neither of them saying a word. Their breaths sounded like a calming melody as the moon appeared from behind the deep blue night clouds and lightened up the dark room so that the silhouettes of their hugging bodies displayed a visible shadow on the wall. Slowly lifting his head from Jinhwan’s shoulder, but still not completely letting go of him, June took a glimpse at his bedside clock. It stated 3:40 AM.

“I’m sorry,” June mumbled apologetically, his lower lip trembling.

“About what?”

“I woke you up.”

“It’s okay. You don’t have to worry. Sleep now, I’ll stay with you,” Jinhwan assured him, while he continued to play gently with a few wisps of youngers hair and then June is asleep before he even can utter another word.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

After June’s brain finally processed the needed information about what happened last night he squeezed Jinhwan, who was cuddling onto his side even closer to him.

“Thank you,” he whispered softly as he pressed his nose to Jinhwan’s crown, inhaling the comforting scent of the older one, not caring how strange it is or how awkward he will be about it later on. Jinhwan chuckled softly and reached up to caress one of June’s cheeks with his palm, not saying anything back, probably because he knew words weren’t needed at that moment. They were snuggling into each other in silence, but it was a pleasant silence, it was different from the day before. June looked down at Jinhwan whose eyes were directed to the window, watching the sky slowly welcoming the bright colors of the day. There were dry leaves drifting in the air by the wind gusts, it was like they’re dancing in the wind and Jinhwan seemed amused by it, his eyes were opened just slightly, but June could see them glittering nevertheless.

After a few more minutes of morning cuddling, June heard Jinhwan’s stomach grumbling and saw the tips of his ears turning red.
“Breakfast?” June suggested, his voice still heavy with sleep. Jinhwan just nodded his head and backed up a little bit, so that June could untangle himself from the sheets and slide out. He got up and headed towards the kitchen to prepare breakfast, Jinhwan following him like a puppy, short after. June usually doesn’t make breakfast for himself, he buys a sandwich on the way to his workplace or waits for Bobby to bring him something from his mother when June has a free day, but this time the situation is different, Jinhwan is with him. He decided to do what he could do best.

“I’m going to make pancakes,” June said as he stacked a few pots and pans on the counter and saw

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter