2 B

Fork in the Road

Yesung POV

… When I open my eyes again, I’m in my room at Jungsoo’s house.

                “You are home, you are safe here. Now, let me have your hand” the tall man orders, his wings already gone from sight. He is about an inch or so taller than me and his face is frozen in a serious expression. He looks like he is made of wood, just firm and unmoving, his posture straight and intimidating. His hair is a winter white, his face tanned and for a minute I think he might be the Korean version of Sisco.

…hahahaha That is so funny. What a weird hair color.

His clothes are simple. Just plain close fitting jeans, a white t-shirt with long sleeves that cover the entire length of his arm and oh wow, he’s rocking pumas. They must really take care of their guardians at that Empire.

                “If you are done accessing my body, I still need your arm”

His sharp, unchangeable deep voice brings me back to the present and I find myself stunned and a little in shock at what just happened therefore before I can answer he has taken possession of my right arm. He rips my t-shirt sleeve and I tried to pull away on instinct. His bare palm presses to the exposed flesh and all I feel is a direct burn.

Yelling in pain, I try to tug out of his grip but he’s much stronger and rather persistent. It ends shortly and when I check my arm I’m marked with a pattern of angled lines, the burning cools quickly and the mark darkens until it becomes an inky black. It’s pulsates bright blue for a moment, erecting a stab of pain again before disappearing into my flesh. The throbbing in my ankle had also vanished and it’s totally scary how he just practically forced some kind of magic on me without my permission.

                “What the did you do to me?”

                “Silence Oritalis. I do not answer to you. You are my charge; and you will do as I say. I am here to protect you and aid you in your missions. I am not your pet; I am not your friend. That seal will hide your scent, something that idiot Hyukjae shouldn’t done from the beginning.”

                “Where is…”

                “Your father will be home soon. You must tell him nothing about your unusual day. This is to be kept a secret-“

                “What? Why!? No I have to tell Jungsoo!”

The piercing look those dark eyes give me can smite down any man in its path.

                “Jungsoo is a paranoid individual, he was unstable to bear the Oritalis from birth and thus the power was given to his brother. He knew nothing of it then, and he will know nothing of it now!”

                “F-fine. But who are you?”

                “You may call me Top”

Err…

                “So I’m the bottom then?” I ask; trying to lighten the mood a bit, soften his up.

‘Top’ does not look amused. .

                “You may say that. Your status is not necessarily lesser than mine but I do have superiority over you”

                “No wait, but I’m the chosen one!”

Top stares down at me, uninterested,

                “There are more than one you and who would you be without me to protect you. You chosen ones all think you are irreplaceable” he scoffs, “And an amateur like you should know his place, you’d be dead without your guardian. Now enough of your chitchat. I will watch over you for the rest of the evening”

                “Where is Hyukjae?” I demand at the end of my wit. This new guy is no push over and this is…

                “Did you not denounce him and declare that you did not want him? He was of lesser stature than me and that instantly makes it legible for the Empire to withdraw him as your guardian and he was replaced”

                “WELL I DON’T WANT YOU EITHER! SEND HYUKJAE BACK” I shout heavenward, hoping the stupid Empire would make my grant my request. Top chuckles dryly and the next thing I know I’m being shoved onto the bed.

                “That would not work. I am a fully trained, fully capable guardian. Hyukjae was a test, an error in the Empire’s judgment. He is not ready. I am. So go get changed I’m sure you’re sheets are going to stink of your…” he coughs, “excrement”

He vanishes quickly right after that.

                “Yeah you too!” I yell at nobody. Excrement?! Eww, it’s piss you idiot!

My door burst open not a second too soon and Jungsoo flings himself on the bed.

                “Yeye! What happened today?! Do you know how worried I was!? What happened to your shirt?! What’s that smell!? WHAT HAPPENED!?”

I sigh.

It’s going to be a long night.

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

I told Jungsoo that I had a brief run in with a bully and lost my phone in the confusion. He was ready to go to the school and handcuff the bully but I told him that the matter had already been settled. Jungsoo was nothing but insistent that he meet the person and I could understand what Top had meant when he told me my dad was a bit paranoid.

He kept asking me if I wanted to go to school and if I was sure he couldn’t meet the kid who tried to bully me. I saw him keep sneaking glances at his gun and no matter how small I thought it was, it would not help to have him shooting some innocent person at my school.

I was pretty sure Jungsoo was going to try and drive his way directly into the school’s hallway instead of the parking lot. When we got there it was another battle to escape the car without him trailing behind me like some kind of warrior. Finally I was able to make it inside the building and Jungsoo was, hopefully, on his way to work.

I began my quest for Hyukjae.

By the time the morning bell rang I had not had any luck. Finding my first class of the day was difficult but I managed to get there before the teacher, who was apparently always late. I shared this class with Amber and she immediately offered me the seat behind hers, which was at the far back of the class. Of course she would sit there, I doubt she learned anything.

                “Have you seen Hyukjae?” we both asked each other at the same time. I flushed a little embarrassingly while Amber just frowned.

                “My Hyukkie is never late” she shrugged, turning to face the window and kept staring out of it even as the teacher began his lecture. I occasionally catch her sparing a concerned glance toward the empty desk and chair besides us and I assume that she was saving it for Hyukjae.

When class was over I stayed back to pack up properly and when I finally did manage to leave I spotted Amber up ahead at one of the lockers. She was talking on her cellphone, another unspoken school law that she was breaking.

I catch the last parts of her conversation as I approach her. She now had her back to me so ultimately did not see me coming.

                “…call me. You missed poker night man! You never miss that! You better have a good excuse”

She ended the call, tucking her beat up blackberry into the back pocket of her washed out jeans. They were loose and sort of retro colored with frilled out threads sticking out of it. I’m guessing that was the style. She was rocking timberland shoes, hardcore and frighteningly butch, while wearing a dark green t-shirt that was a size too small, fitting her curves closely. It looked good on her, she looked like a completely different girl from the back.

                “Hey Amber”

She whirls around to face me, her face contorted in a confused pout. When she sees my smiling face she smiles back politely. I note that from the front her shirt is a bit baggier around her chest, once again covering up just how big her s were. She wore her short hair the same as yesterday, no makeup and all the piercings still intact.

                “Hey Yesung. Welcome to your second day” she hugged me but I couldn’t help the feeling that her heart was not in it.

I frowned mentally, wondering if her interest in me was only because she was Hyukjae’s friend and wanted to be polite.

I instantly feel guilty when she pulls back and asks,

                “Did you happen to see Hyukjae yesterday after school? I mean he took off so quickly but he promised to meet up at my house later “

The confession sticks in my throat. I want to explain to her what had happened but so far all I’m able to come up with is an easy lie.

                “Um, no. I was hoping I would see him today” I throw in a short laugh, “I’ve sort of grown accustom to him already”

Amber looks thoughtful, her gaze never leaving my face and I’m pretty sure I’m going to break out in cold sweat if she doesn’t stop.

She looks like she’s about to say something when she shakes her head, flashing me a grin,

                “I’m sure he’s okay. I mean it was a big day for him yesterday right?” she eyes me sharply her grin still intact. I manage a nervous smile, not sure if she knew about what he really was.

                “Yeah, yeah I guess” I state offhandedly, not sure what she meant.

She steps forward and loops an arm through mine.

                “Oh my God! You haven’t met the crew yet!” her declaration is loud and stops several bystanders around them. They stare at us with interest before a passing teacher tells everyone to get to their classes.

                “That means you too Amber” The old male teacher orders matter-of-factly.

                “Aye aye Mr. Sakee”

Amber and I watch as Mr. Sakee continues his walk down the hallway, chastising students who are idly wandering around him. She launches forward pulling me with her.

                “Wait! I have another…” I protest when I realize that I don’t know where she is leading me and I doubt it’s too my next class.

                “Stop dragging your feet, slow poke”

Eventually I just let her lead me, our travel carrying us outside through the back exit. She strolls past the lawn where several students are basking in the glory of what little sun there was today. On our way we pass two of the Wellingtons, one of whom happened to be Victoria.

She is talking to student, gesturing pleasantly with her hands, a happy smile on her face. I spot her before Amber does but I know the exact moment Amber’s eyes caught sight of her crush because she paused abruptly and then began dragging me in Victoria’s direction.

The next Wellington who is standing near Victoria with a bored expression is the one called Jaejoong. Unlike Nick who probably would have jumped in front of Victoria to protect her from Amber, Jaejoong simply watched as we got closer, his eyes trailing over my face and body before looking away bored once more. I flush self-consciously, looking down at my clothes and felt as if they might as well have been rags.

                “Vicky!”

Victoria doesn’t run when she spots us, instead she folds her arms and bites her bottom lip nervously.

                “Baby, darling, my sweety Vicky. Hi sunflower, how are you today?”

Amber is still clinging to my elbow so I am forced to wave at Victoria like a mute idiot.

Victoria returns the wave, smiling a little at me but then Amber pushes herself into Victoria’s line of vision, blocking my face.

                “Hi, Hi” Amber repeats, giving a wave of her own.

                “Hi Amber” Victoria replies pleasantly, fiddling with her thumbs. She is much taller than Amber, especially in her heels. She looks very pretty today in just a simple soft pink dress that has an impressive V-neck but doesn’t reveal her cleavage. She has on pink and white striped long stockings that cover the entire extent of her long legs disappearing into red stylish heels. Her hair is a beautiful caramel brown and floats radiantly around her oval face, long and dashing. I can definitely see why Amber liked her.

                “How are you?”

                “I’m fine thank you” Victoria is painfully polite and I can’t be happier than she’s at least good-natured to Amber.

                “And who is your friend?” Victoria asks, indicating to me with a tilt of her head.

Amber looks at me as if she just realized I was still there.

                “This, this is Yesung. He just transferred here. Say hi” she demands and gives my arm a tug. I flinch and glare at her, then focus on Victoria.

                “Hi Victoria”

Victoria gives a shallow bow, a small smile on her lips when she faces me once more,

                “It is nice to meet you. Welcome to SM High. I hope you…”

                “So Victoria, do you uh, wanna hang out later?” Amber interrupts almost desperately.

Victoria keeps the smile when she addresses Amber,

                “I have practice with the cheerleaders later”

                “Really? I could, I could come and cheer you on while you…you know cheer?”

                “That-that’d be cool, I guess. Just don’t be waiting by my car later, okay?”

Amber is grinning so wide that she can barely speak and therefore can only nod her head so hard that I’m sure she will disconnect it from her spinal cord.

                “Okay.”  Victoria turns back to the female student she had been chatting too.

Amber reaches out boldly with her free hand and grasps Victoria’s elbow lightly,

                “I have, I have a song I want to sing to you”

I look at the other girl in shock. This was not the place or time to try and serenade Victoria.

                “Um Amber, this…”

                “It’s short, I promise! Just-just hear me out” Amber pleads, her grip on Victoria’s elbow becoming tighter. I reach out and shake Amber’s hand off of the poor girl before Victoria was forced to pull out the pepper spray.

                “Fine” Victoria sighs, folding her arms once more.

Amber clears and I hold my breath, for all I know she was about to sing some song she made up overnight.

‘You’re so fine’

You’re so mine

You’re so delicious

I think about you all the time you so precious

Don’t you know what I can do to make you feel alright” Amber wiggles her eyebrows suggestively.

Hey Hey VICTORIA!

I can be your Girlfriend!

YES YES YES YES

I think you really need one!

HEY HEY VICTORIA!

Make me your girlfriend!

She releases her grip on me to begin doing an air guitar, mimicking the sounds goofily.

HEY HEY VICTORIA!

I know that you like me!

YES YES YES YES

You know it’s not a…”

                “AMBER! AMBER!!”

With me and Victoria shaking her Amber finally snapped out of her out of tune rendition of Avril Lavigne’s girlfriend.

                “What? What?”

Victoria huffs, “Would you ever stop embarrassing me? I mean when you sent me that video of you singing that obnoxious song I thought you were just trying to be funny, but now you’re just out to make me look like an idiot”

                “Hey! She was the only one who looked like an idiot” which was true. Amber had sounded like a hanging cat and but at least her English accent wasn’t horrible. “You can at least be a little more appreciative. She likes you”

Victoria glares at me, “If she likes me then she’d know I like quiet people, people who are at least subtle and not loud and ignorant. I’m sorry Amber but you need to get over this infatuation because I don’t think I can be with someone like you”

                “Tory, don’t you think you’re being a little too harsh” Jaejoong’s smooth voice interrupts us and I almost bite my tongue at how gorgeous he was up close.

                “Jae, do you not remember that vulgar video she sent me. And then she crashed my pool party and began performing that hideous song in front of all my guests!”

Jaejoong cracks the smallest amused smile and it does wonders to his blank face.

                “How could I forget? It was a hit”

                “What did she sing?” I ask, just to be involved in a conversation with the beautiful man.

                “Big booty es” Amber answers softly, looking utterly pathetic. She’s pouting again and it’s such a strange look on her and I feel even madder at Victoria.

                “Big booty es. Ah, such a classic” Jaejoong comments. Victoria looks all steamed out and lowers her stubborn stance wearily.

                “I’m sorry Amber. I didn’t mean to snap like that. It’s just, can you be, I don’t know, just a little…”

                “Quieter?” Amber asked hopefully.

Victoria smiles, nodding, “Yes, just a little quieter and I might give this, this friendship a try”

                “You mean if I be less of…of myself, you’ll be my friend?”

                “Yes of course” Victoria gives a relieved laugh.

                “No thanks” Amber replies happily. Victoria looks gob smacked and I’m pretty sure I do too. Amber grabs my arm tightly once more and waves at Victoria and Jaejoong,

                “It was nice talking to ya. See ya later y” she blows a kiss at the confused Victoria before hauling me off once more. I barely manage to wave goodbye to Jaeoong.

                “Why did you do that? She was willing to give you a chance”

Amber scoffs, “When Victoria falls in love with me, she’s going to love me for me, not for someone I’m pretending be just to please her. I don’t bow when it comes to changing me personality, If you don’t like me for who I am then who gives a ”

                “But Victoria does not like you for because of who you are!”

                “That’s where you are wrong. She kissed me once back in freshmen year”

Well this is news.

                “Vicky just likes getting her way. I refuse to be who she wants so she says she doesn’t want me but I know better. She wants me just fine and I will shower her with affection until she is able to look past her own insecurities and just give in to temptation”

She sounded like some evil love guru.

                “Why would she kiss you in freshmen year?”

                “We used to be friends”

Ah, this was getting interesting.               

                “My Vicky is a friendly person but she has a stubborn nature. She was attracted to me and didn’t know what to do about it. I knew I wanted her and tried to get intimately close with her during the last semester. We kissed just after school ended for summer break. I felt up her a little and let me tell you Yesung, she has some fantastic s, they’re just soft…”

                “SHUT UP! What kind of lady are you?” I scoff at her, feeling horrible as if I had just violated Victoria myself.

We end up near the bleachers but rather than climbing up on them we go directly under them.

                “Whoever said I was a lady. You’re even more of a than Hyukjae. I swear every time I bring up tonguing a girl’s he goes green…just like you look right now”

Oh my God! What did I get myself into with this girl?

                “You do know that relationships are about changes and sacrifices right?”

Amber hums in agreement, “Then what is she sacrificing? She wants me to change my behavior, the only way I know how to be me, she even suggested one time that I dress more…girly. What if I do all those things…just for her, what will be willing to sacrifice for me?”

                “Her dignity?”

She rolls her eyes at me.

                “I’m not giving an inch until she does. She knows how I feel, I throw the ball in her court every time I see her, what’s holding her back?”

I run a hand threw my hair, not sure how to go about giving advice.

                “Amber I don’t…”

                “Amber! You dog! How could you miss Mrs. Son’s class?” a new voice interrupts us.

The person is a bit effeminate looking, like most Korean teenage boys, slim with swinging hips and frizzy bleach blonde hair, ridiculously attired in matching skull patterned clothing.

                “Key! Whose class are you missing right now?” Amber asked straightforwardly.

                “Mrs. Son’s. But that’s not the point. You totally left me! I would’ve shown up there looking like some bookworm” This Key person flicks at his blonde strands, striking a pose with one hand on his hips.

                “And do you know that ing Tiffany is still hung up on me after our drunken weekend! I mean she was all over this morning in the parking lot. She knows I don’t do the…”

                “…same twice” Amber completes for him; obviously accustom to hearing Key say those words.  “We know Key”

                “Who is this?” Key asks, pointing an insulting finger at me. I am about to answer that I don’t like being referred to as a ‘this’ but Amber once again speaks first.

                “Oh you didn’t meet him yesterday. This is Yesung. He’s new”

                “The is he doing here?” Key looks at me as if I’m gum beneath his shoe and I just want to strangle his scrawny neck.

                “I don’t like…”

                “He’s Hyukjae’s friend” Amber cuts me off, “I thought I would invite him to our little soiree”

Key looks confused, like a dumb blonde right out of a California High School movie.

                “What you mean soiree? You bring soup or something? I mean, I brought a subway on my way over to school so I don’t think I’ll need any soup”

That makes like no sense.

                “Shut up Key. Yesung is just hanging out with us today since he and Hyukkie are friends and I can’t seem to find Hyukjae”

                “Well . He ain’t sharing my weed” he rounds on me, giving me a deathly look. “You better not touch my stash either”

                “What’s with the gangsta slangs?” I question, looking between him and Amber,

                “You ing racist homey? I’ll you up if you come near my weed. Amber, Amber you betta hold your boy or else he’ll find himself ed up”

I’m about to tell Key just how much he does not want to mess with me, especially right ing now, but Amber pats my shoulder, shaking her head.

                “The is my lighter?!” Key cusses, his back to us as he raids his pockets in search of his lighter. Amber leads me away from him.

                “Key is a…special friend. His dad has more money than sand so we keep him around for his usefulness sake. He’s a bit….”

                “Paranoid” I supply.

Amber nods, “Yeah, paranoid” she glances over her shoulder,

                “Key! Have you seen Hyukkie today?”

Key seems to have found his lighter; a couple of won had escaped his pocket. He doesn’t seem to care. Amber rushed forward to scoop up the money and Key doesn’t even bat an eye at her.

                “The last time I saw that idiot he was running off to the back of the school”

Amber zeroes in on him tucking the money into her jeans pocket.

                “When?”

Key shrugs, pulling a large white spliff from his jacket pocket. He lifts the edge and it before resealing it again,

                “Yesterday, around, after-school-ish?”

I’m thinking his education at this school is being bought.

                “Why would he go behind there?” she whirls around again, eyeing me suspiciously like she had back in the hallway. She turns back to the other boy.

                “Thanks Key”

Key doesn’t answer, his lips already wrapped around the spliff. He lights it up and is quick to take a long slow drag. When he pulls off of it I expect him to burst into coughs but instead he just puffs out smoke coolly, looking like a natural born smoker. This kid has got to be kidding me.

He doesn’t offer any to Amber and she doesn’t ask. I am amazed and grateful that she doesn’t smoke. She pulls out a full water bottle from her school bag, dropping her bag on the ground before taking a seat on it. Key rolls his eyes at me when he notices that I’m still standing around doing nothing. Amber seems to be rather thirsty. She’s chugging the water like there’s no better taste in the world.

I’m a little parched myself and I extend a hand toward her, silently requesting some. She hands it to me without complaint.

The smell hits me first but I’ve already taken a sip. It’s just a slow burn of alcohol, nothing tasty to it whatsoever. Of course she’d be drinking at 10 o clock in the morning.

                “Here” I hand it back to her.

Key makes ‘grabby’ hands at her and she passes him the bottle.

                “Yo YingYing, spread this out”

Before I can correct him I am receiving a face full of cloth. The material is soft and I realize he had just tossed me a picnic blanket. I spread it on the concrete, taking a seat immediately. Key sits Indian style opposite me but Amber stays where she is.

                “The party has already started without me?” the newcomer is behind me this time so I turn to face them.

This person looks like his mother had with clown and a lawyer. His hair was 2 colored, one side a metallic pink the other neon orange. His guy-lining was scary looking and he wore faded blue lipstick on his upper lip and a dark maroon on his lower. His clothing had to be the most outstanding since he was dressed like a business man in a grey suit jacket, white under shirt and grey trousers. There was a touch of baby pink in his cufflinks and his shoes were black and shiny and clearly expensive.

                “This is Sungmin”

The other boy politely nods at me, smiling happily. I manage a smile in return, hoping it doesn’t look too fake because right now my mind if trying to wrap itself around Sungmin’s look.

                “What brings you around these two delinquents?” He plops himself down on the blanket without any warning, uncaring to whether or not his suit was ruined.

I look to see if Amber was paying attention to us but she was currently rummaging through her bag for something.

                “To tell you the truth I think I was kidnapped”

Sungmin tilts his head at me, his face oddly adorable,

                “The old hostage situation. Classic Amber. Luckily you’re still conscious; she usually knocks her victims out before she drags them under here”

Well that wasn’t a pleasant thought. Especially after the day I had yesterday.

                “Hey, have you seen Hyukjae today?” I inquire. Sungmin ponders for a while,

                “No, I don’t think so. I barely saw him yesterday”

Bending my head I think about what Top had said. If the Empire truly took Hyukjae away from me, then he was probably safe back home.

But…

The way he had screamed before he vanished was still very much floating around my mind. He had seemed very reluctant to leave and it’s like they snatched him back without even giving him a warning. And who does this Top guy think he is?

Oritalis are replaceable?

The is he kidding me? What’s the big deal about being the chosen one if you can be replaced? If this was true then I was pretty much screwed and had to obey everything Top said, if it wasn’t true then I was still stuck with Top as my guardian and he seems to be the type of guy to give you some major tough love.

This Empire was sounding more and more like s.

Sungmin doesn’t have a school bag with him or any type of baggage that may contain some form of illegal drugs or alcohol so I wonder how he fits into this crowd.

                “Pass me some of that, Key” Sungmin reaches out to pluck the spliff from Key’s hand before the other boy could react to. He takes a short drag of the smoke, coughing a little when he pulls off. Sungmin attempts to pass it to me but I decline.

                “” Key taunts, taking back the spliff. I just glare at him. Amber is now wearing a large white jacket with dog paw prints on it, over her shirt. It makes her appear boyish once more and I sigh, figuring that you either loved her or hated her. There was definitely no ifs or buts about Amber. She is who she is.

                “Minnie, have you seen Hyukkie?” She suddenly perks up, the water bottle lying empty between her legs.

                “Uh, no. I just told Yesung that I haven’t seen him all day”

                “Who’s Yehsung?” Key questions, his face contorted in confusion.

                “No one baby. Just Sungmin being crazy again” Amber tells him. Key gives Sungmin a look that clearly says, ‘ to be you’. I’m just laughing at the smoker mentally because, wow, what an idiot.

                “I guess he’s sick then?” Amber mutters, mostly to herself but I hear the words clearly and they send a stabbing jolt to my chest.

                “I’m so ing ”

My lap is suddenly occupied by a slim yet equally solid body. The person is unquestionably male and is currently trying to my thighs by bouncing and grinding on them. I shove at him, throwing the ert off me. I come face to face with emerald green eyes and a Caucasian face.

                “I like em feisty” he coos, crawling forward once more. I slouch backwards to prevent him from pushing his face into mine. He seems to find my resistance arousing because he continues crawling until he’s straddling my stomach. Amber grabs his arm,

                “Down boy” she scolds, wiggling a stern finger at the boy.

                “Who the hell are you? And are you crazy?” I finally manage to say when I get past the shock.

The boy eyes me seriously. He has the face of a 13 year old; soft features, no signs of facial hair, a baby chin, cute cheekbones, pouty cherry red lips and midnight blue hair that is cut in the shape of Rihanna’s Umbrella hairstyle. The longer bangs in front shade one of his eyes from view, giving him a very alluring, ual look that is matched with his confident posture.

Then he bursts out in a laugh,

                “I’m sorry. I thought you were a chair. Silly me” he says, thumping his forehead as if to say ‘That always happens’. He extends a hand to me, “The names Skyler”

                “Skyler, will you move away from him”

He gives Amber a penetrating glance, “When was the last time you got laid?”

                “Your mom gives it up for free after 11”

Skyler smirks, “That tramp. I keep telling her to charge genderbenders”

                “You mean like she did to your father”

                “At least I had one. Didn’t your mom just aually produce you?”

Okay, this was getting way too personal.

                “Skyler, Skyler tell her about her uncle next” Key chimes in. Amber cuts him a glare and the effeminate boy just grins back excitedly, “I want to know!”

                “Key my fine lady! How are you chica?” Skyler doesn’t wait for Key to answer before he’s turning his face again to meet eyes with me. I shrink away from him, he has a catty attitude that can even defeat Amber’s. I don’t think I should mess with this freak.

He narrows his eyes at me.

/Who are you calling a freak?/

I think I might be going crazy because I’m pretty sure I just heard him in my head even though I’m looking at him right now and his lips didn’t move.

/You did/

I can feel my eyes stretch their sockets to the breaking point as I stare at him in horror.

The first that comes to me is ventriloquism and I’m still pondering on that when he speak,

                “Amber, I think I broke your friend” he tells her sweetly.

                “Yesung, don’t worry about Skyler, his America genes turn define him as a ”

                “I’m still ” this time he wiggles his eyebrows at Sungmin. “Minnie, the is up with your hair? I told you to stick with the neon green and white highlights! They rocked!”

As Sungmin and Skyler launch themselves into a conversation of hair colors I let my panic take over.

Ventriloquism was the last thought on my mind as I began thinking of the worst case scenarios.

This Skyler guy was not human!

He was one of those things…probably out to get me!

Hyukjae!?

I keep forgetting he’s not here. Dammit!

Top! Top, if you can hear me, I might need your help!!?

/Relax! I’m not evil you numbskull. I’m just a telepath/

 I look at him but he’s not even bothering with me, still engaged in conversation with Sungmin but yet he’s in my head.

                “Like a telephone?” I question out loud and all of their eyes get glued to me.

/Way to draw attention to yourself/

/GET OUT MY HEAD!’/

/Dude! Use you’re thinking voice/

/NO! NO! Get OUT!!/

/Will you shut up! I’m not going to harm you…/

/You’re in my head! This is a major invasion of privacy! GET THE OUT/

I jump to my feet, grabbing my bag.

Amber looks at me questioningly,            “Yesung?”

                “I’ve got to go?”

Not waiting for a reply I dash out from under the bleachers. As I round a corner I slam into someone. The impact shoves me back harshly but I’m saved from falling on my by a tight grasp on my shoulders. When I go to apologize I realize I’m looking at ing Kyuhyun.

/ing Kyuhyun huh? Sounds like someone’s too/ Skyler’s giddy voice resounds in my head, causing me to cradle it between my hands, wanting to get him out physically if I had too.

                “Are you going crazy?” Kyuhyun’s voice reminds me that he’s still in front of me and I’m bent over, holding my head and wiggling about like a mentally ill person. I pat my hair, knowing that if I looked at it in a mirror right now I would see frayed strands and an altogether bird’s nest of tangles.

                “Would you believe it if I said I was hearing things?”

Kyuhyun frowns, but then perks up shortly after, “You mean that son of a Skyler right?”

/I resent that/ Skyler says.  /Tell him I said ‘ you too’/

                “He says you too” I deliver uselessly, sighing in frustration. Slipping a finger into my ear I attempt to shake it about until Skyler’s voice has disappeared but a cool touch on my wrist pauses my actions. That’s strange. I thought all Vampires were cold to the touch, their body heat being a total of O degrees.

/Kyuhyun isn’t all Vampire you idiot. His heart still beats; he still eats like a human and …hey! Beats and Eats rhymes…/

                “Yes that’s him. Can you help me?” I will deny that I’m pleading but if Kyuhyun could help get this Skyler guy out of my mind I would be forever grateful.

                “Just put up a mental wall to block him out” Kyuhyun says dully, like the answer was so obvious.

Yeah… I’ll just do that…

I try it; I mean I really do try to do it…

/I give you a F for effort and a F for er too/

Kyuhyun must have noticed the exasperated look on my face because he scoffs loudly, rolling his eyes heavenward.

                “Let me guess? Your guardian is once again slacking off on your training. Well, at least he covered up your nose-burning scent”

I immediately defend Hyukjae, “It’s only been one day! He…” then I remember Hyukjae isn’t my guardian anymore.

/Wait till I tell Amber you got Hyukjae in trouble/

                “NO!” I cry out loud without thinking. That !

Kyuhyun sighs, “Here”

Without any further warning he places his fingers on my temple, the skin on them smooth and velvety and they were a bit cold but not like icicle cold like I had expected. He massages them briefly into the skin of my forehead and I’m not very experienced with face massages but this one feels really awesome.

Now if only he would run his hands through my hair a little.

/You / Skyler jokes, /I already like you. Bye for…!/

The connection with him is abruptly cut and his voice fades away. I snap open my eyes not sure when I had closed them. Kyuhyun slowly withdraws his hands.

                “Do you hear him still?”

I listen, waiting for him to pop up and taunt me for Kyuhyun’s failure.

                “Nothing so far. What did you do?”

The other boy shrugs, his plaid shirt shifting with the movement. He looks super cute today.

I pause, waiting for Skyler to say something.

                “Just helped you create a temporary block”

Wow! Really? Like…huh?

                “How, how did you know how to do that?”

                “My dad showed me how to put up mental blocks when I was like 13, there are like a lot of creatures out there can easily tap your thoughts and use them against you”

I’ll try to remember that.

                “Thank you” I say genuinely, “And about yesterday…in the woods…”

He holds up a palm, silencing me, “No need to thank me and you don’t need to apologize. You’re guardian was an , yes, but so was I”

                “Oh yeah, but, um Hyukjae’s not my guardian anymore”

The half vampire’s eyes widen a little,

                “He’s dead already? I mean, I knew he was an amateur but…”

                “No he’s not dead. I – I uh said some things I didn’t mean yesterday and they, the ‘empire’ took him away and gave me someone else”

He looks baffled for a moment, and then just stares at me with confused tilt at the corner of his mouth.

                “You know Amber’s going to kill you right?”

I can’t stop the dry chuckle from erupting from my lips. It’s clearly obvious to me that Amber is indeed going to castrate me, possibly murder me, sooner than later.

Well it could happen today, especially if that prankster Skyler blabbed about it.

                “Wow, I didn’t know you had it in you” Kyuhyun comments, surprise evident in his voice.

                “Had what in me?”

He folds his arms, looking smug “The personality to abuse your power”

I gape at him, “I did not abuse my power! I was just angry and he-he- I, my ankle was hurting and then wolves…”

                “Wolves? You met the pack?” he raises an eyebrow.

                “I met two of them. One really hot one and a younger one” I explain the best way I know how.

Kyuhyun nods and I rush to add, “And I did not mean for them to take Hyukjae away…”

He stops me again with a raised palm, “Look I don’t want to hear you whine about your poor little Hyukjae so save it, okay. Just…practice I guess. I hope this new guardian teaches you how to survive when on your own because when it’s raining demons and death, its every man for himself. You should be happy for Hyukjae, he got off easy. Oh and Good luck”

Kyuhyun moves away, walking pass me as he continued to wherever he had been previously going.

He had seemed almost pleasant today?

Anybody else get that vibe from him?

Although his last words to me were a little curt, I acknowledged the advice in them. I needed to know how to protect…

                “Yesung” the familiar voice could not have been Amber’s because well, it was too soft and trembled a little. I turn to face a confused looking Amber, her eyes wide and unseeing, her posture slack as if she was in shock. Then her face morphs into a hateful scowl,

                “WHAT THE DID YOU DO TO HYUKJAE?!”

Now I know what Kyuhyun meant when he added that good luck.

Smug jackass.

We end up in detention.  I’m sporting a black and blue left eye, wounded pride, a possibly bruised torso and the swelling in my jaw is unbearable. Amber was still fully intact, her face frozen in an angry sulk. I knew she would be angry when I finally told her about Hyukjae but I did not expect her to kick my half way across the school yard.

Oh Great.

 Now I was going to be that chump that got beat up by a girl.

High School life of teasing, here I come.

During the beginning of detention I had pleaded with her and she had given me a second to explain but after the entire story was out she shot me a murderous look that was so intense that I had to flee to the other side of the detention classroom in order to escape another face beating.

Before the first 20 minute mark of the detention, my dad burst through the door, startling Mr. Yagami and myself. He did not stop to acknowledge the teacher, making a beeline for me. I stood from my seat, trying to explain but he silences me by grabbing the back of my head and pulling me forward into his chest. If he had s I would’ve suffocated.

                “Dad listen…” Jungsoo cuts me a look so serious that I freeze up.

He doesn’t look like his usual happy self while he examines the damage on my face. Mr Yagami is walking towards us, already speaking with authority.

                “What is wrong with you?!” Jungsoo shouts, his voice heavy with a strange emotion as he stares at Amber, “You could’ve blinded him!”

“And why isn’t my son in the infirmary!” he yells at Mr. Yagami.

                “Jungsoo I’m fine…” Dad shoots down my attempt to reason with him, the gaze he trains on me shuts me up instantly.

                “Jongwoon will be okay. We checked him out before he was sent to detention”

“Why is he even in detention?! This is utter…” he stammers over a cuss word, awkward and unwilling to actually say it, “this is unfair! LOOK AT MY SON! She’s fine.” He indicates to Amber, “Obviously because she is the one behind all of this”

Mr Yagami goes to speak but Jung soo still won’t stop with the hysterics, “Yesung has been here two days!” he waves two fingers around crazily, “TWO DAYS! And he’s not a rebellious child, he would never, never go after this young lady. So whatever reason she had for doing this had better be good because I will…” he breaks off with a growl, defensive as he practically snarls at Amber.

                “Dad! Relax! It’s my fault…”

He rounds on my, staring down at me with wide eyes,

                “Your fault? How is this, your fault? Did you trip and accidentally fall into her fists repeatedly?”

Funny you might say that at one point I remember falling into her foot….

                “Um no but”

                “I’m taking him home”

Mr. Yagami stammers, appearing like a teen before my father, who was dressed in his work clothes and looking like a demanding, serious officer of the law.

                “I’m. taking. HIM. Home” my father states again, as if talking to a child.

Finally Yagami just sighs, “He has detention for the next 2 weeks”

My dad looks like he’s ready to reach for his gun, “On what grounds? Bullying is wrong, she should be the only one facing punishment”

                “He did hit back” Mr Yagami reasons

And it’s true, I did take a swing at her, if only to distract her but I only managed to punch her hair before she was clamping down on my wrist like a vice.

                “So what? It was self-defense!” Jungsoo stops, pinching his forehead, “Look, Yesung is going home. This is stupid, this school is stupid…and…and I’m he’s transferring to Baliene.”

I barely manage to grab my book-bag before I’m being dragged out of the room.

                “I’m so sorry!” I shout over my shoulder, hoping it sounds sincere.

(*)(*)(*)

It doesn’t hit me about what he said about transferring schools until we get in the car.

                “Dad, please tell me you’re not really transferring me?”

Jungsoo ignores me and continues muttering about ‘school conduct’ and ‘bad reputations’. He practically tucks me into the passenger seat, disregarding my protests as he buckles me in. His finger gently prods at my swollen jaw before cupping it adoringly.

                “This looks like it hurts really bad” he states, staring my face sadly, “We’ll get you home and I’ll get you some ice for the swelling, okay?” he moves away from me, closing the door and then he turns to the school and yells, “SOMETHING YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE!”

I go to stop him from making an of himself when we both see Amber running towards us. She stops just as she reaches my father, and he is now frozen in a stance that can only be described as a scene from a western movie where the cowboy is about to quick-draw his gun.

                “Look, Mr. Kim, I am sorry for picking a fight with your son. I was, I was in a bad mood and I’m really sorry okay. Please don’t make him transfer school if he doesn’t want too. It will never happen again. I prom…”

                “Save it” Jungsoo snaps, throwing up a palm in her face, “Its people like you who ruin the lives of the youth. Bullies” he scoffs, looking Amber up and down, “You might not be having the best day, or just broke up with your girlfriend but you don’t have to take out your frustration on someone weaker than you”

                “HEY! I’m not weaker…”

                “Yesung is not your punching bag. My son did not move here to for this nonsense. You are setting a bad reputation for this school with your behavior and I’ll be damned before I allow this to continue. Not in my town and not to my son! Now ”

Amber looks hella pissed at the dismissal but that doesn’t say anything. Jungsoo comes around to the driver side, but his hand pauses on the door handle.

                “And what’s your name son?” he shouts. Amber’s face contorts into irritation before she smirks,

                “Amber”

I look at my father just in time to catch him shaking his head,

                “Your momma know that’s a girl’s name right?” he chuckles, “No wonder you were in a bad mood.” He climbs into the car, buckling up before starting the engine, “I almost feel sorry for that poor kid” he informs me.

His eyes roam over my face again,

                “Now we gotta tell your mother you got beat up by some nancy boy with a girl’s name”

I don’t bother to correct him. The pounding in my jaw is returning as the pain killers wear off and I sink into my seat. Before we pull out of the parking lot, I catch Amber’s eye and wave. She doesn’t wave back, just flips me the bird.

Well there goes my group of friends. Maybe I should transfer to Baliene.

Sigh.

This day could not get any worse.

 

Next