Chapter One C

Fork in the Road

 

s640x480

Kyuhyun walked at a manageable steady pace. He needed to get as far away from that boy as possible.

His scent was deathly thick and sickening, even worse than that of a rotting corpse. He was direct target for creatures who would no doubt sniff him out easily.

Was this really the great protector that the prophecy spoke of?

A half-assed young boy who hasn’t even come into his blood right as yet.

Impossible.

The boy was practically releasing all the necessary fumes that would attract every demon in close range. But there was no denying the stench of him. There was definitely something up with that kid and Kyuhyun needed to protect his family. He will be keeping an eye on this Yesung person.

(K)(K)(K)(K)

s640x480

Lunch time comes around all too slowly.

 

Seriously, I’ve been waiting for a longer break all day. The one I had at recess proved to be a big disappointment. I did not even have the muffins to munch on because I had forgotten them in the backseat of Jung soo’s car. I managed to grab a couple of  the Korean currency before I left the house but it’s unfortunately not enough to purchase what I what on the lunch menu. I’m not on the lunch program either so that option was a failure too.

Hyukjae is fortunately with me all morning and offers to buy lunch for me. The guy is either an angel or just really desperate for us to be friends. I mean, he has stuck with for almost the entire morning and it went from being overly creepy to suspicious, to maybe he’s alright.

I’m willing to give him a chance but it doesn’t mean I trust him yet. I don’t need any stalker drama this early into the school term. I watch him when he orders my lunch, keeping a trained eye on his hands just in case he tries to pull a fast one on me. He hands me an apple and I admit that the shiniest of its red complexion distracts me for a couple of seconds but that’s it!

What could he do in a couple of seconds?

We turn to exit the line and I unceremoniously bump into someone. Knowing that it’s probably not my fault anyway I still mumble an apology and move pass the person. Hyukjae plops down at a rounded table at the far left of the room. I follow and take a seat opposite him.  He slides my tray toward me and I thank him again for buying me lunch.

                “YO!” is all the greeting someone gives before they occupy the seat next to Hyukjae.

The newcomer is a boy with short cropped brown hair with a fringe that hung over his eyebrows neatly. He has several piercings going up his left ear while the right one only bears one small bob earring. His eyes are light brown, a very plain shine to them but aligned perfectly to fit his face and gave him a soft look, almost feminine if you look hard enough. Then there are pouty, dark pink lips that are currently stretched in a friendly smile.

                “Amber this is Yesung” Hyukjae tells the newcomer. ‘Amber’ nods and I gape in surprise. Not only at that fact that he has a English name but, he’s a girl?

Or…

                “Hi Amber” I say when I realize I’ve been staring at him-her silently.

Amber smirks knowingly, “Seems like I’ve done it again” She-he steals a pudding cup from Hyukjae’s tray.

                “I’m a girl you nitwit” and I’m pretty sure I hear her mumble, “Unfortunately” under her breath.

                “Oh, I’m-I’m sorry you just…” I gesture vaguely to her. She’s even wearing a basketball jersey for God’s sake.

Hyukjae scoffs, “Don’t let her intimidate you with her butch lesbian vibe. She’s a girly girl”

Amber gasps and punches Eunhyuk in the arm,

                “Am not” she denies.

                “Who do you think painted me nails” Hyukjae continues and I laugh a little when I look at Amber’s outraged expression. Now that I look closely at her face the femininity I had seen before was making it evident through full scale.

                “It’s not my fault you were so willing ya ”

Now it’s Hyukjae’s turn to be offended, “I’ll have you know I have women lined up outside my door every night”

Amber rolls her eyes, and tells me “That’s because his going rate is $3 dollars an hour”

                “Whatever it takes to keep the ladies satisfied”

They banter back and forth with sarcastic remarks. I would say they sounded like an old married couple and needed to get together and have babies but it just sounded like they truly just liked pulling each other’s legs. Just two kooky friends who like to cuss at each other, how sweet….

                “It’s Yehsung right?” I nod at her and she continues, “That’s a cool name” She slurps her beverage, the only thing she seems to have brought with her.

Hyukjae trades a look with her and I wonder what that’s all about but I still answer.

                “Yep. It’s just a nickname my mom gave me”

                Meanng art-like voice” Hyukjae says matter-of-factly, like he already had it on his mind all day.

I stare at him intently, “Yes, but how”

                “Our little Hyukkie here is a master of languages” Amber answers smoothly, patting Hyukjae’s head

Really? He didn’t seem to understand English when I spoke it.

                “Actually it was lucky guess. I have been living in Korea aren’t I?” he said as if he was trying to convince himself and maybe Amber too.

Okay now these two were getting overly weird.

                “Yeah, yeah I guess. Why are your eyes blue anyway?” I ask him, seeing that I have been pondering the same thing ever since we met today.

                “Family inheritance” he says it in a way that makes it clear that his answer is final and that you must’ve ask anything else. I look away from them, getting weird vibes all of a sudden. There’s something going on.

When Hyukjae smiles at me when I glance back at him I know it’s genuine but I’m still guarded. The apple is still on my tray but I’m full and decide to save it for later. When I look around the room again, I spot a familiar person entering the cafeteria from the door at the back of the room. Kyuhyun is emerging from outside but this time he is not alone.

There is a tall, slim dark haired girl strolling alongside him.

Well, I say strolling but it looks more like she’s strutting on a runaway. Her legs look endlessly long and sleek in those bright blue high heels she’s rocking and the tight black leather pants she has on does nothing to hide how shapely they are. Her top is a black and gold studded rebel jacket with what looks like a flawlessly white cashmere shirt underneath. For all the glamorous she looks she is not wearing any jewelry besides the simple earrings in her ears.

Kyuhyun looks like he did this morning.

Like a giant face.

He is easily ignored.

                “Oh I see eye candy has been an appearance” Amber coos as she whirls around to look in their direction.

Hyukjae turns also.

                “Well you met Kyuhyun this morning, and that’s Hyoyeon” he indicates to the girl.

Right after Kyuhyun and Hyoyeon enter, there are two more stunning people that follow. A brooding tall man with a swimmer’s build, pale and no less attractive than the first two…and it admitting that, but yes, Kyuhyun is cute…

                “That’s Jaejong” he points to the brooding Adonis with the stoic look on his face. Jaejong is walking beside a buffer looking handsome guy and I could understand what Amber meant when she said eye candy. Wow.

                “Nichkhun is the buff looking guy”

                “Oh look Hyukjae it’s my looooover” Amber singsongs. I look past Nick and see another slim girl but instead of being over dressed and smoking hot like Hyoyeon this one is more subtle and cutesy with her attire. She’s wearing a red and white polka dot short skirt with matching heels. Her blue blouse is a bit loose but flattering.

                “She’s pregnant” Hyukjae says.

She’s pregnant?!

                “No she’s not!” Amber shouts for only us to hear, “She’s not” she repeats again but this time just to me, “Her name is Victoria, she’s not pregnant and she’s my one and only”

Amber sighs dreamily and the way she’s making googly eyes are Victoria makes me laugh. She’s never looked more girly to me.

Her eyes threaten to castrate me and I stop laughing immediately.

Hyukjae whispers,           “Just ignore her. Victoria does”

Amber smacks him behind the head, “She does not”

                “Amber harasses her every…” we look up in time to see Amber run off. Victoria spots her coming before anyone else and immediately latches on to the buff guy, Nick-something. I glance around and everyone seems to be rolling their eyes as if this was a repeated event.

Looking at the staring contest between Nick and Amber I cringe. No matter how boyish Amber may look…I mean God, she’s even wearing slack trousers and I can see now that the bloody t-shirt hides almost all indication that she might have s!

Anyways despite her best efforts to dress like a boy I doubt she can take a hit like one and Nick looks like he might be considering going for the face.

                “Don’t worry about her; she gets rejected all the time. Victoria is not interested”

We watch as Amber is told off by a snarling Nick but never once does Victoria say anything to her. Amber returns to our table with a frown. I feel sorry for her. I know how rejection feels all too well. When she sits I place a hand over hers,
                “Never mind her, I’m sure there are a lot more willing…”

She pulls her hand away, staring at me like I had lost my mind.

                “Other girls? Did you not see the way she looked at me?”

You mean with disgust and hatred?

                “She loves me! And from the look she gave me today I can tell I’m wearing her down. 2 more weeks and wham!” I jump a little when she slam her palms on the table “Victoria will be my date for the Winter dance” There is a fierce determination shining in her eyes.

I give Hyukjae a look that asks, ‘Is this girl for real?’

                “She said the same thing two weeks ago and so far nothing has happened. I expect Victoria to start walking around with a taser these days”

Amber scoffs,    “She started walking around with a taser since the end of last semester” she states it so matter-of-factly that I start to gape at her. “Close your mouth Sungie”

                “How do you know that?” Hyukjae questions and I’m surprised that he doesn’t know about this either.

Amber shrugged, “She might or might not have pulled it on me one time when I cornered her in the parking lot after cheer practice”

I’m getting the strange feeling that Amber is the crazy stalker type.

Anybody else get that vibe from her?

I turn my attention away from the duo in front of me. So far the eye candy squad seems to have all entered and have taken a seat at a close by table just behind ours. Kyuhyun catches my eye and he’s staring at me as if I’m some sort of puzzle. It’s an improvement from the revolted look he’s been giving me since our first meeting and I find that I can study him better when his face is not scrunched up.

Yeah, he’s attractive….this is not exactly rocket scientist. His skin is flawless and if I was in California I would’ve rushed to say he had had plastic surgery but I know nothing of his lifestyle so I’m not quick to judge him just yet.

We seem to be in a stare off. Kyuhyun’s eyes are intent while I try to look smug and unyielding. I refuse to look away first, daring him with an added smile to continue this challenge. Kyuhyun rolls his eyes away and I silently cheer at my victory. He is whispering something to Jaejong and before I know it the other man is giving me a stink eye so savage that I have no choice but to look away.

Curse him!

                “So who are these eye candies and what’s their deal?” I ask the two in front of me.

Blue eyes blink at me for a moment before he sighs,

                “I see you’re already interested in one of them”

I reel back in surprise.

                “What…”

Amber is leaning over the table towards me,

                “Oooo, which one? Which one?”

                ‘None” I bat her hands away from me. I unconsciously glance at the table to see if any of them heard her.

                “You like Jaejong!” she barks accusingly. I want to slap a hand over her big mouth but she’s already leaning back into her seat with a smug look. When I look back nervously at the eye candy table I find them all looking in our direction. It’s quite unexpected and intense to see their gazes focused on me and I shrink under the attention. Kyuhyun has this smug look in his eyes and I just glare at him.

I notice Jaejong’s eyes are quite a light hazel while Kyuhyun’s still have the same bright golden tint to them. I assume its contacts because seriously their just too cool to be real. Victoria is smiling in my direction and I feel so happy to get a positive reaction from one of them that I don’t even think about it before I’m smiling back.

The back of Amber’s head blocks my vision. She is purposefully leaning in of me in order to be in Victoria’s line of sight.

                “She smiled at me”

I shove her away, that crazy idiot.

When I glance back at their table, Kyuhyun and the others are speaking to each other.

                “They are the Wellington’s” Hyukjae finally says after cleaning his tray of all food.

Well that’s not a Korean surname.

                “Huh? The Wellingtons? You mean they are related?”

                “Yes. No, not by blood at least. I know Jaejoong is the Wellington’s son while the others are adopted”

                “Wow, five kids” The Brad and Angelina of Korea maybe?

                “Yeah Mr. and Mrs Wellington have a for having kids around apparently” Amber inputs.

                “Kyuhyun is the prince charming; he’s testy and rather smug about himself so try…and you’re totally making cow eyes for him”

I snap my gaze away from Kyuhyun when I heard what Hyukjae had said.

                “No I’m not. I was merely studying the subject while you gave me your analysis”

See, I can be smart too.

Hyukjae smirks but I ignore it. He continues,

                “Hyoyeon is, well I thought she was a lesbian too…”

Amber interrupts him with a loud snort, continuing in his place, “She’s not. She gets more than the back alley of gay club”

                “Way to be rude, you ” Hyukjae tells her. Amber just folds her arms and gives him a look that says ‘Tell me I’m wrong’ before taking a sip of her drink.

                “Hyoyeon is pretty bold and outgoing. She doesn’t take and does her own thing. Nichkhun is a jock, a jerk and a jackass. He’s the triple J. If he’s your friend, then good for you, if he’s not your friend, stay away” I nod, taking in Hyukjae’s word. If only he knew the more he talked about them like that the more I was interested in them.

                “Victoria is the sweetest of them all but she’s a little shy when around…you know who” he stage whispers the last part to me, pointing with his thumb toward Amber.

                “Oh you Hyukjae”

                “Already did.”

                “You blabber mouth! That was a onetime deal!”

                “”

Amber breaks off of another sting of dirty words aimed at Hyukjae and addresses me,

                “Anyways, last but not least is Jaejong. Your lover”

I go to protest but she cuts me off with a raised hand,

                “He’s…weird…very quiet but is always snarling for some reason. He is one of the fastest runners on track and even faster in water, which is why he is Captain of the Swim team”

                “I like em athletic” I say without thinking, running my eyes over Jaejong.

Amber shoves my shoulder,       “You ”

While staring at Jaejong my eyes wander curiously to Kyuhyun. He’s still conversing with Hyoyeon and I notice that none of them seem to be eating. They didn’t have any lunch trays so I assume they had eaten outside before coming inside the cafeteria.

                “So what was up with Kyuhyun today in class?” Hyukjae asks. I find myself captivated a little by his bright blue eyes but snap out of it almost instantly.

                “You tell me. I’m still new. He just…” I trail off shyly, it’s rather embarrassing to say but I eventually lean in and whisper, “He said I smelt funny”

I can feel my face warm up.

                “Really? Like a l secretion sort of funny. Are you menstruating? I heard guys can smell it on you if they stand close enough”

Hyukjae and I look at her with a mixture of disgust and annoyance. The is the matter with this girl.

                “The Amber? That’s gross and vile and you know what, hand me your cup.” Hyukjae is already reaching for Amber’s coke themed lunch plastic cup.

                “It’s just a little fruit punch from the lunch lady” she protests but Hyukjae already has it. He pops the cover and sniffs it, immediately pulling back with his face with a scrunched up nose.

                “I knew it. You’ve been sipping on vodka all this time!” he whispers harshly.

                “I had more than a sip” she scoffs as if he was being stupid.

Suddenly she turns to me and asks,        “You’re sixteen right YeYe?”

                “Um, yeah. Actually my birthday was 3 days ago” the admittance brings back memories of having the final party with my mother.

                “That’s, that’s what I…”

Hyukjae cuts her off,

                “Shut up you drunk matron”

                “Don’t you cuss at me in French you ” Amber glares at him, “And I’m not drunk….I would be but someone stole my cup” she directs her gaze me, looking desperate, “How am I supposed to survive Math this afternoon without a little alcohol in my system”

                “Didn’t you say you were quitting for Victoria”

                “I’ll…I’ll quit the next day, what day is tomorrow?”

                “Tuesday” I answer

                “Nope, not tomorrow then. Tuesdays I need my little pick me up”

The bell rings before I have to listen to her moan and about needing her cup back. I expect Hyukjae to go with her but as usual he sticks to me. I don’t feel as much cautious around him as I had been and I figure if I’m going to survive school here in Oakville I will need friends.

Turning I retrieve my apple from off of the tray, hoping to have later while waiting for my dad. I sense someone behind me and turn to look at them. Kyuhyun is surprising standing within inches of me and he’s not holding his nose….wow miracles do happen.

                “Here” is all he says gruffly. He shoves a plastic folder in my face. “Just so we don’t fail”

I accept it, holding it as if it continued a bomb.

                “Thanks”

He nods and turns away.

I’m still a bit giddy that I got him to talk to me and so it’s because of that I completely lose all sense and say,

                “Take this”

He half-turns to face me, eyeing my outstretched hand. His eyes quickly scan the apple I’m offering.

                “What is this?” he asks dumbly.

I roll my eyes, “Call it a peace offering”

He actual bares his teeth in a growl,  “I wasn’t being nice just to get a treat from you. I’m not your pet”

Those beautiful…and I face-palm myself because it hurts to admit it…those beautiful, golden eyes roam over the apple again then I feel their heavy gaze as they wash over my body and face.

I’m pretty sure I’m shivering. If I was a girl I would be soaking my .

                “Oh just take the damn thing you big drama queen” I toss it at him.

He catches it effortless in the palm of his hands. This seems a bit Twilight-ish now. Curse Danneel for making me watch those movies so much that now I’m comparing real life to that bloody retarded film.

And besides Kyuhyun would make a y vampire boyfriend anyway.

Oh great, now I’m imagining him as my boyfriend.

all!

                “Thanks. Now off”

......

......

.......

......

...

O_O

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0JTWhM_RdNH8QYgUwHjX

The hell!??!!?!??!?!!?!?!?!!?

Was this guy for real?!

He turns and moves away.

            “Oh you too, gimme back my apple!”

I’m yelling in English, which just makes me look like an in front of the fully Korean cafeteria audience.

            “Ouch burn” Amber snickers when I rejoin them. Hyukjae latches on to me again,

            “We’re late for another class!” he begins to move but a loud yell stops us.

            “And you still stink, you might need to do something about that…quickly” Kyuhyun shouts, but that’s not what shocks me, it’s the fact that the spoke in English!

I break away from Hyukjae,

            “Don’t flatter yourself jackass. Whatever stench I have will go away but you will always be a douchebag er”  I spit back in a familiar and comfortable California tongue.

            “Such foul language for a child” he bites the apple, “And don’t worry the stench will go away, and hopefully, so will you” His accent is there but his English pronunciation is good. Too good.

I don’t know what he means by that last part but he’s already rejoined his family and it sounded like a threat. This has been riding my ever since I got here and I’m sick of it. I expected my bully to be a heavyweight jock not some prissy imbecile with a sensitive nose. I’ll be damned before I let him get the satisfaction of being smug around me. I offer you an apple and this is the you give me well f….

            “Stop your mental raging, we have to go” Hyukjae pulls me again, this time I let myself get hauled half way across the school, lost in deep thought as I plot my revenge. 

(*)*)*)*)*)*)*)*))*)*)*)*)*)*)*)*

School lets out early due to a Staff meeting and I’m left to my own devices for the afternoon. I call Jung soo and inform him that I’m out early and that he could come for me. He informs me, quite sadly, that he has to finish up something important before 3 and would like for me to wait just a little while as he tries to complete it. It’s already 2:30 anyway so I decided to explore the campus while waiting.

I had managed to lose Hyukjae in the end of school rush and commotion and really, it was a welcomed change to be by myself. For all I know my dad hired Hyukjae to be my tour guide for the day and he was happy to be rid of me too.

My exploring leads me to the back of the school and over the other side I can see the large boundary wall that blocks off the High school from the College. The school has some sort of skateboard rink behind it and I approach the deserted area. Everyone seemed to be hanging out in the parking lot or at least in the front of the school so it’s pretty damn scary around here.

The rink looks like it hasn’t been used in a while but it’s cool to look at. It stretched longer than actual rink would and seems to break off somewhere into the forest at the far end. At the top of it is a large pipe head of sorts and it hits me that this must some kind of water way or something. Maybe something the school had built it previously for whatever reason. The pipe is old looking, a dull silver and there are heavy rusty chains wrapped around it before a large lock can be seen holding it tightly together.

Whatever it was it seemed to be old and unused now. On the other side of the rink is of course an entrance to Ranger Woods.

Or at least I think its Ranger woods. It is the only forest area around Oakville.

There’s a big fence that separated the forest itself from School property and I’m guessing that it’s so that animals that are in the woods stay there and that any student at the school doesn’t just run off into it on a whim. I whirl around to go back to front taking in the heavenly caress of Oakville’s cool breeze. It really is a comforting change from the normal weather in California.

            “Hey, hey you” someone says in a hushed voice.

I turn around but there’s no one there.

No one but trees and the empty rink.

Utterly creeped out all of a sudden. I burst into a run, unashamed at being scared by nothing. I mean if you ing watch horror movies something bad always happens when the star is all alone.

And I might not even be the star.

            “Hey, hey come back” the voice chuckles as if I’m being funny.

It could just be a bunch of college kids playing a prank but I’m not sticking around to find out.

I’m looking back at the forest as I round the corner of the building when I bump into something solid and rather hairy. I’m still leaning on it when it’s snarls.

Oh my God let this be a ing pit-bull. I’ll take a pit bull over what I’m looking at any day.

The thing is ugly! That’s all anyone needs to know because I take off in the opposite direction so fast I don’t have much time to give a description. At the end of my rope when I hear it charge after me I scream loudly, practically wailing like a siren as I take off blindly. I glance back at it in my effort to see how far I’ve gotten from it when I trip and tumble head first into the rink.

Why was I going in that direction you may ask?

I don’t ing know, blame my legs and the skinny jeans.

Curse you legs, I’m dead because of you!

I’m pretty sure I have a concussion but take off like a jet down the rink once I get on my feet. The beast is rather persistent and it’s ing talking to me.

            “I just want to play”

I almost stop at how sincere it sounds but when I slow down a little it reaches out with a paw, yes, a ing giant paw, and slashes at me. I stumble a little and take off again, but it’s too close and my beating heart is deafening the sounds of my screams. It takes a slash at me again, catching me on my arm and the force of the blow knocks me off my feet and into the side of the rink.

It’s the most pain I’ve been in all my life.

            “You smell so tasty”

It’s drooling large portions of yellow mucus and when it opens its mouth right in front of me I piss myself.

What?

Don’t you dare judge me!

The thing has like 365 sharp green tinged teeth. One for each meal of the year!

I close my eyes and look away, its breath making my eyes water.

I’m going to die in this stupid town with urine in my pants.

I hope he eats my clothes too, and save my dignity.

 He snaps his head in and I do a reflexive move and duck. He hits his snout against the wall and I crawl out from under him, running a little until I come to the other side, immediately reaching up the walls of the rink. It’s short enough for my hands to grasp the top and I use whatever upper body strength I have to try and pull myself up. It’s a total fail because I have no strength whatsoever and my adrenaline just makes me break out in cold sweat at my failure.

He charges at me again and I release the wall, moving out of his way before taking off in the opposite direction, back towards the school.

            “I’m going to get ya” his voice is so playful now and I think he’s just toying with me.

Oh great. Now I have to deal with him playing with his food.

His food of course being me…

            “HELP ME!!!!!!!!”

It’s seems useless but I won’t stop.

Are you trying to tell me that no one can hear me screaming bloody murder?!

When I hit the end of the rink I whirl around to see him nearing me. He is one hairy looking half dragon, half - ing hell what the hell is that behind him!

The ghostly figure swoops in quick. Striking the creature in the side and gutting him right in front of me. The beast barely has time to make a squeak before he’s lying in half on the rink, a mass amount of dark navy blue blood and intestines painting the area like a gruesome Alien crime scene.

A semi digested animal head (or it could be a human, I don’t put it pass the thing) rolls out on its opened stomach and I immediately cover my nose. Then the most amazing thing happens. The creature begins to smoke and sizzle like its being fried and like magic the area is wiped clean of its entails, leaving behind only the animal head.

Holy crap on a stick. This, this has been just…

The ghostly creature shimmers above me. It’s just a ripped black cloak that is hovering, from the looks of it there’s no face to seen. I want to thank it for saving me but I’m still recovering my near death encounter. When I manage to catch my breath and hold back tears there are like six of the black cloaked things hovering around me.

            “Um…”

One of them whips out a claw the size of the Mona Lisa painting and just immediately brings it down on me. On reflex I cover my head and wait for the impact.

Something tight wraps itself around my waist and then I’m being hauled into the air like a ragdoll. I escape the fatal hit but now I’m flying like 40 feet above ground and not a clue how I’m doing it. I scream again because well, the last time someone saved me I almost got sliced down the middle!

            “Hang on!” the person doing the flying says.

My phone begins to vibrate in my pocket and I mentally slap myself.

I pull it out. Answering quickly, not caring who is calling. I should’ve done this from the beginning. I hadn’t been thinking while on the run from a maniac beast who only wanted to sample my flesh.

            “Yesung” The air whoshing around me but I recognize that voice anywhere. It’s my dad!

            “Dad! Dad, I’m in…”

I’m being flung God knows where and the phone goes slipping my fingers as I yell in fright. I land heavily on my back on what feels like dirt and dry leaves.

Oh !

I’m in the forest!

Cursing my stupidity at allowing the phone to get away from me I get up. Groaning in pain I limp over to a tree, leaning up against it to catch my breath and analyze my body. So my ankle is twisted, my knees are scraped and that concussion is probably kicking in because I’m pretty sure I’m seeing Hyukjae right now.

            “Yesung run!” he commands. One of the cloaky things was attacking him head-on while another closed in on him from the side.

Ignoring the questions forming in my mind I charge at him, wanting to help in any way I could.

 I mean, I couldn’t just leave him here, could I?

            “He said run” another voice comes from behind me and I half turn to see Kyuhyun standing there suavely, as if this was regular stroll throw a flowery meadow.

            “What? How….”

He reaches for me and drags me behind him. Ultimately one of the cloaks had been sneaking up on me and is now facing us, well it has no face but it’s definitely looking at us.

            “Can you levitate?” Kyuhyun asks seriously, not taking his eyes off the creature. It pulls back and I recognize the movement of it going to bring out its claw.

            “Levi-what?”

Kyuhyun doesn’t answer and the blade is already out and shining with mockery.  

I am manhandled roughly and the next thing I know I’m being tossed like a simply tennis ball into the air.

My heart drops right into my foot as I scale through the air with a forceful pressure. When the force softens just when I’m above the trees I sigh in relief but then scream in terror as I drop like a brick back to earth. My heart is now lodged in my throat. Looking down and trying to grab something, anything, I spot a cloak coming up swiftly at me and I cover my eyes as I know I’m going to fall right into it.

I’m caught again; this time strong arms around my lower abdomen keep me in place. My feet aren’t touching the ground so I know I’m still in the air. So unless this person can fly…what am I saying, I just had the most bizarre experiences known to man, anything is possible at this point.

            “You okay?” Hyukjae’s voice is right next to my ear. I squirm in his hold, wanting to know how he’s doing this. Glancing up and about I spot…wings…like huge angel wings…like….

            “Oh my God!”

What the is going on?!

He lowers me to the ground carefully and I immediately break away from him and turn around. And yep, he’s got them spouting from his back. They are stunning, absolutely heavenly in their sparkling white color and glowing with an incredible aura for some reason even though the forest is pretty shadowed, they are everything I expected an angel wing to look like but what the are they doing growing out of my friend’s back?!

            “What the hell are you?!” I demand, looking around but there appear to be no cloaks in sight.

            “He just saved your life” Kyuhyun appears out of nowhere and I eye the two of them cautiously.

            “And you! What are you even doing here?! And-and you threw me…UP THERE!”

Kyuhyun just smiles pleasantly as if the memory was soothing to his mind.

            “You er, I could’ve been killed. What the hell are you? No one is that strong”

            “Of course they are. I just used my arm. You see it’s stronger than my other arm because I exercise it quite often”

I snort, “You ” unable to stop the jab.

            “Shut up you two. Yesung listen to me”

            “No you listen to me” I limp backwards, “I’m the one who just got clawed at and almost eaten by two ed up creatures. Now you either tell me why or I go to the police”

This time Kyuhyun snorts and he interrupts Hyukjae’s answer,

            “It’s not his fault you stink of pureblood”

Pureblood? Was this another menstruation joke? Was one of those creatures Amber in disguise or what?

            “A pureblood Yesung. Those creatures attacked you because you’re an Oritalis and you’ve come into your inheritance and therefore you’re giving off…pheromones”

            “You mean those thing wanted to me”
           

            “No you big dunce, they came after you because you reek of newborn blood. You’ve come into your inheritance and because your body is still adjusting to the changes you smell like fresh meat to them”

I stare at Kyuhyun as if he had just grown a second head.

            “What? I’m not a newborn anything. I barely just turned 16! And what inheritance and why now?!”

            “Yesung, calm down”

            “Don’t you dare tell me to ing calm down? WHY NOW!?”

I’m yelling at Hyukjae all my anger and fear building into something powerful. All of this makes no sense. If I’m this Ori-whatever why haven’t any of my parents mentioned it. Why is this all happening now? It’s all too unbelievable.

            “You are Oritalis of Oakville. You were prophecied to appear in your 16th year…”

            “Wait you mean he actually is the one the prophecy spoke of?” Kyuhyun asked, his eyes growing wide and disbelieving.

Hyukjae sighs and lowers his wings and they disappear almost immediately the glow from them gone as well and the forest becomes even darker.

            “Yes he is”

Kyuhyun points a finger at Hyukjae,  “And you, you’re his guardian. No wonder you stuck to him all day”

What? My guardian?

            “Yes, the moment he entered the hall I smelt him and as the day processed it was confirmed with everything I learned about him”

            “What? How? The prophecy said that he or she would come into blood at 16, new to a strange place, vocal art in chords that only the meek may hear, they shall be protected by many but only needing one”

Wow, it sounds like he had that memorized to perfection.

            “Exactly think about it, his childhood nickname is Yesung, he’s here just recently after turning 16 and he stinks of new blood like…”

Annoyed, I yell,

            “Would you two stop talking about me like I’m not here? Now Mr. Guardian, why are you my guardian and what for?”

            “He’s here to help you come into your powers and protect you” Kyuhyun states.

Would this guy ever shut up?!

            “Okay if he’s my guardian then who are you and why did you help me after everything you said today?”

            “Yeah, why did you help us?” Hyukjae inquires suspiciously.

Kyuhyun clenches his fists, “We smelt the Gragamol a mile away and I knew it would be after one person. I…”

            “Wait, which one is the gaga-thing?”

Hyukjae steps forward, “It’s a large Korean mythical beast, rather hairy and for it's wild nature can actually talk...but I didn’t see or hear any…”

I march in front of Kyuhyun and punch him.

            “You knew that ing thing was out to get me and you didn’t even try to help!?”

The taller boy doesn’t even flinch from the blow.

            “If you were the true oritalis you would be okay, right?” he snarls.

Hyukjae is in front of me before I can or say anything else. He too takes a shot at Kyuhyun and this time the other boy does stagger.

            “I thank you for helping us but what you did was selfish and I can’t forgive you”

            “Oh yeah, where the were you then? My siblings and I caught whiff of that thing in the parking lot, are you trying to tell me they assigned an amateur guardian to take of this twit”

Hyukjae rears back as if he had been slapped. I go to defend him when he says,

            “Take your jealousy somewhere else you half-bred outcast”

I didn’t think Kyuhyun’s face could go any paler but it does and he looks sickly. His face becomes more withdrawn and he stiffs up like a corpse, a deathly gaze aimed at Hyukjae. My guardian keeps his cool and eventually we win and Kyuhyun takes off through the trees.

Hyukjae slumps against me.

            “Do you think I was too mean?” he asks like a kicked puppy.

What? No way, Kyuhyun totally deserved that for the way he was behaving.

            “He’s a half breed of what?”

Hyukjae seems to snap out of his thoughts.

            “He’s a hybrid actually. I know that he’s a Vampire but not…totally…”

s640x480

The half-vampire storms through the trees with malicious intent. He strikes one of them in the bark as he passes it, hearing the satisfying crack of the wood before it snaps easily.

 

Who does that ing guardian think he is?

His inheritance has always been a soft spot for him and it’s not something he can hide easily from other supernatural beings. They smell it on him, the taint within his blood, the almost of what he could’ve been. He was abandoned by his vampire mother, unwanted and unaccepted even as an infant. Thanks to Mr. Wellington he had a life to live, rather than being degraded and tortured like most hybrids are nowadays.

His kind is frowned upon in the supernatural society. He’s associated with the likes of hybrids like were-cats and coyote-wolfs, vampire and wolf crossbreeds that are made fun of because they are neither accepted by any side of their bloodlines.

Mr. Wellington and his wife had moved Kyuhyun to Oakville when he was 4 years old. He was protected from the cruelty of the world on crossbreeds but that does not mean he was not reminded of his flaws by stray demons and beasts. He knew what the supernatural world did to crossbreeds. They were pets, , treated like uncivilized animals if they didn’t take caution to make a better life for themselves. Thanks to the Wellingtons, Kyuhyun had gotten that opportunity while he was still young and innocent, kept safe in an orphanage until he was finally adopted by understanding people.

Hyoyeon was also a hybrid. She was a were-cat, but she had a rougher time than Kyuhyun because when she had been adopted at the age of twelve, Kyuhyun had been eleven, molested and beaten by the people around her and taken advantage of by humans who said they wanted to help make life better for her. He has heard her story only once but he will never forget it. She was the family member he was closest too because of that.

That is why when he first smelt Yesung he had been so overwhelmed by the scent of him, so curious yet frustrated at the newcomer’s heavy odor. He was sure Yesung had been some pureblooded idiot who had come to stake his claim on the lower class creatures and so he had gotten defensive against him.  And the apple...

He had wondered if the idiot had been toying with him, that he fully knew what Kyuhyun was and just pretended to be ignorant. But now, now he knew better. Now he knew that the idiot is the destined protector for Oakville and did not the first thing about the creatures that lived here.

Oakville was a quiet place but it only managed to stay quiet once Kyuhyun and his family dealt with most of the beasts and creatures that tried to go on killing sprees while in town.

But now they had the great protector. Some newborn pureblood with no knowledge of what was going on and an even stupider guardian who couldn’t smell a gragamol even when it’s right under his nose.

Yep, we’re all saved. He thought sarcastically.

3 months ago he had utterly crushed when he had turned 16 and nothing extraordinary had happened. There weren’t any changes in his smell, there was no guardian at the door waiting to protect him, and he was not the chosen one.

He remembers learning about the prophecy when he was ten and training extra hard because he wanted to be prepared for when he became the chosen one. Just to be the first hybrid chosen one, he would make a way for all other crossbreeds. Alas his dreams were crushed. He had hoped make a better future for others like him but it seems like the faiths had another idea in mind.

Whatever. No matter who this Yesung person is and what he is supposed to stand for, Kyuhyun has already sworn to himself to protect his family and he’d be damned now if he lets Yesung or anyone else screw up his life in Oakville.

            ‘When you’re done brooding you can grab us some milk on your way home, Kyuhyun’ Gackt Wellington’s clear voice penetrated the half-breeds thoughts.

            ‘How many times have I told you to stay out of my head Gackt?’

            ‘Is that anyway to talk to your father, tsk tsk. Now get your home before you demolish the entire woods’

Unable to stop the tiny chuckle, Kyuhyun strikes another tree, a smaller one this time. He does a little jump and like a magic trick he’s walking on air. It’s much faster to get home this way. Using a little energy he pushes forward and begins to step on the air before running and vanishing, almost flickering in and out of reality at lightening speeds and silent as the wind.

He is almost into his territory when he is alerted by the scent of a wolf. Instantly he ups the speed on his steps, hearing the thundering thumps of the wolf approaching. He catches whiff of another one approaching fast from his left, however, unlike the strong odor of the Alpha behind him, this one smells newly changed, an amateur to his bloodline. Smirking he stops his movements and the wolf is foolish enough to go stumbling past him. The one behind him manages to draw near enough to rip a tear into his shirt.

Kyuhyun looks back to snarl at it, a couple more quicken steps on the air and he’s on La-Dev property.

The wolves halt, standing on the outskirts of the border their eyes never leaving the laughing vampire.

            “Better luck next time” Kyuhyun says, turning away to trek toward the large mansion. He was cutting it close but it had been fun if not a little short. Usually he can run circles around the mutts but today his mind was unfocused and after letting one of them get close enough to rip his t-shirt he thinks that was enough excitement for one afternoon.

            ‘You know you could’ve avoided that little charade entirely right?’ Gackt is in his head again.

            ‘I was on my way here, it’s not my fault they are so testy about us on their land’

            “You know the rules Kyuhyun, don’t with them and they won’t with us. Now hurry up, it’s family movie night’

Kyuhyun groans. Another useless night of being cramped between Gackt and Victoria while they watch through every Disney movie known to man, it had taken him forever to stop singing ‘Under the sea’.

            ‘We’re not watching Disney tonight. Victoria suggested ‘Bring it on’?’

Damn Victoria and her taste in film.

            ‘That isn’t a o is it?’ Gackt sounds curious but Kyuhyun knows better. The old coot probably just wants to sample it for himself and get a good before Jiyeon comes home.

            ‘You forgot the milk didn’t you’

s640x480

Rain morphs back into his human form, and tanned from head to toe he has nothing to be ashamed of as he strides towards a tree. The forest is quiet and except for that Wellington kid taking a detour through their land there isn’t much danger to worry about.

The newest wolf, Donghae, is still a trainee on patrols and currently is chasing his tail. Rain rolls his eyes at the immature behavior but lets it slide. The wolf had done a suitable job today. Although the Wellington kid had outsmarted me it had been worth it for Rain to sink his claws into the boy’s shirt.

That should be a sharp warning for what was to come if the kid kept up this disrespect for the treaty. His is limp and currently brushing up against his inner thigh as he moves and it’s so easy to be carefree like this, all alone in the forest. He has been eyeing the new wolf curiously ever since they met earlier on.

It’s no secret that being a pack alpha has its perks and Rain can honestly say he has tasted and explored every wolf flesh that had been put under his care. When they come to age at 17, they were as good as his. No one had ever resisted him and he suspects this Donghae kid would be no different. It was an unspoken rule that Alphas not abuse their rights but what good was being an unmated Alpha if you couldn’t test your options.

Donghae spots him and Rain can see him trying to shift back. The physical strain is evident, like sliding into jeans that don’t quite stretch enough and then the human Donghae is panting in front him. The boy grins, even livelier in his human form. He is shorter than Rain and gaining excellent muscles thanks to his transformation and it’s hard not to appreciate his gorgeous body.

Rain smirks, walking forward, ‘It’s show time’

______________________

Okay that's it for this so called Chapter One. It's long, I know. 43 pages but only 16k words. I tried to make it alot more spacious instead of clumped paragraphs that just bore you to death. 

 

 

For those who don't know who Gackt is

So we've met the Wellingtons, which was supposed to be an all Vampire family but screw that Hyoyeon became a were-cat and I'm pretty sure Jaejoong has some kind of power (but he's still a Vampire first and foremost) while Kyuhyun is half vampire, half-....(still in the works)

Like my prophecy lol. It's all I could think of :3

 

If you spot any mistakes or anything that leaves you confused please tell me so I can work on it. :)