Giveth and Taken Away

Fork in the Road

 

For as long as Eunhyuk could remember, his life has always revolved around being a guardian. He can recall memories from a past life when his parents were alive but other than that he’s only known the Academy as his home. He was requited at the age of four, disappeared in a snap of magic from the backseat of the exploding car that also held his parents captive. When he was old enough to understand properly he had been told he had been chosen, taken away from the death that would’ve claimed him and given a new life. He chose a new name, Eunhyuk because his previous name, Lee Hyukjae, represented a human who was long gone.

The first and only person who had felt like a father figure in his life while at the Academy was an old magician by the name of Yoochun. The man had been assigned as his mentor and had taken Eunhyuk under his wing. He was trained to protect and serve all that the Guardian Empire stood for but that does not mean he was automatically transformed into a robotic soldier. Eunhyuk had always been a free spirit, even as a child growing up in a strange place. He understood his responsibilities but he was not going to let them change his personality.

Many of the kids who grew up in Eunhyuk’s guardian classes were outraged when Eunhyuk, the Empire clown, had been the one chosen to be an Oritalis’ guardian. None of them were more surprised than Eunhyuk. He was only 14! Sure he exceeded in a few of the training programs but that did not instantly qualify someone to guard an Oritalis, that kind of task takes years of development and combat skills.

Protecting an Oritalis was difficult since they attracted trouble like a moth to a flame. Eunhyuk would’ve gladly given up the role to those other envious guardians but he refused to give them the satisfaction. Yoochun had given him some good advice and he intended to use it to his advantage. His Oritalis was apparently a part of some kind of prophecy, very hush-hush .

He was enrolled in SM High as a freshman, meeting Amber, a peculiar girl with a taste for . She made life at Oakville bearable during his wait for his charge to arrive. It was well into the second semester of their freshmen year when she was injured badly by a creature called a JaneBee, the poison killing her right before his eyes. He had broken the rules for her, taken her to the academy for Yoochun to heal.

Being scolded and stripped of his larger set of wings was a price worth paying for Amber. At least he still had wings and he still had Amber, so everything was alright. She wasn’t freaked out by what Eunhyuk was and that made saving her all the more worth it.

Due to the Janebee’s side-effects Amber suffered a mild lapse in her bloodline. She was human but her hair grew out five times as long every time she cried.

Amber didn’t cry as much as she used to anymore after that.

When his junior year at Oakville high had begun and there was still no sign of his charge, Eunhyuk figured that this was going to be another year wasted, thinking the Empire had sent him on a wild goose chase. He had gone about doing regular training as he throughout the years, prepping and enhancing his skills for when the time was right. Then on the early school morning of boring Monday, he had gotten whiff of a stench like no other. It stood out so profusely that Eunhyuk had not even questioned it when he immediately zeroed in on the person.

His target turned out to be a fussy teen with emo bangs, dark shiny hair, wearing guyliner and bore an adorable face that spoke of innocence and irritation. His body language clearly telling others to off but the awkward tilt to his posture gave away his insecurity. He was foreign to a new place and unsure of his surroundings, practically helplessness.

Eunhyuk needed to get close to him, find a way to be his friend and solve the great mystery of his scent. Yesung was stubborn and Eunhyuk could tell the other boy had wanted him to go away but the guardian had insisted on knowing his name. Muffasa wasn’t a typical name and Eunhyuk had seen the Lion King one too many times so it became evident soon enough that couldn’t be the boy’s real name.

When he had found out that his name was actually Kim Jongwoon, Eunhyuk had become disheartened but refused to call it quits until he had all the facts. It couldn’t be a coincidence that he and Yesung shared almost all of the same classes, it had to be fate. He got his lucky break when the boy announced that he preferred to be called Yesung. Eunhyuk’s brain clinked onto the Korean title, delving into its origin and it tied into the prophecy perfectly.

                “You came into your birthright through the pureblood running through your veins. The Oritalis is a magical bloodline trait that is inherited by a vessel at birth”

Yesung had risen his voice, almost shattering his voice box with the high pitched rant he released,

                “But how!?! Obviously my parents aren’t ing pureblood or whatever because they would have told me, or I would at least have seen one of them acting suspicious or doing magic in the bathroom,  OR SOMETHING! So how, how am I this great protector?!”

                “Well, a part from it being your destiny, it’s, um, the Elders at the Empire told me that the pureblood gene has always been in your father’s side of the family…”

                “But…”

                “He, however, did not inherit because, well there was some kind of problem or complication with his birth and therefore the magic within the Oritalis faded in him and his younger brother inherited the skill”

Eunhyuk could see the wheels turning in Yesung’s head.

                “But Uncle Shindong isn’t my father!? Shouldn’t this magically energy be transferred to one of his offspring’s? I mean, I know my cousin Yuri can be a sometimes but I’d rather give her this responsibility than have it for myself”

Eunhyuk shrugs helplessly, he’s informed Yesung about all he was told about the background of the Oakville Oritalis and can’t find the right words at the moment to explain them matter to Yesung in a way he can understand easier. Eunhyuk bites his lip nervously, ashamed that he’s wasted a year here in Oakville and cannot explain the situation better to Yesung.

Of course the other boy would not just swallow the half assed reasons the empire gave, even Eunhyuk had a list of questions that they had refused to answer, stating that it would all be clarified in time. He hoped that happened sooner rather than later, for both of their benefit.

                “But if you’re supposed to be my guardian, how come you didn’t smell that gagamole, or whatever, like Kyuhyun did” Yesung asked, shifting in Hyukjae’s hold as the Guardian carried him through the forest. He had refused to be lifted bride style and therefore had been flung over the man’s shoulder quite easily. “Aren’t you supposed to be specifically trained to like, I dunno, sense when I’m in danger?”

Yesung seemed to hate this position. Hyukjae couldn’t blame him because the other boy had to pretty much physically restrain himself to prevent his head from slamming into the cleft of Hyukjae’s every time the guardian took a step.

                “I’m deeply sorry about that but I went straight to Empire after school to see if they were alerted than you had arrived. I thought Jungsoo would’ve come for you, or at least that you’d stay out in the public where nothing could attack you.”

They had been most pleased that he managed to find the Oritalis for Oakville and Yoochun had smiled so proudly that Eunhyuk found himself breathlessly happy for his accomplishment. When he came back he followed Yesung’s heavy scent and the smell of the Wailers. He had been so scared, his wings aching to be set free so that he could arrive to help Yesung faster.

                “So you’re blaming me for almost getting maimed”

Hyukjae wiggled his shoulders when Yesung began to squirm again,

                “Yes. It’s not my fault you went exploring…”

                “I didn’t think I was going to get attacked by a creature half my size at the back of the school! Hell I don’t think anybody would expect something like that to happen to them. I mean monsters are ing real!”

                “Would you stop wiggling?! You’ll make me drop you dammit!” Hyukjae cussed, already irritated. He’d almost gotten his charge killed and he knew the Empire was going to chew his out about that fact. Yesung also had a busted ankle and had developed a flaring temper from the shock of almost being eaten and that was not helping the situation.

The other boy had been asking questions nonstop ever since Kyuhyun had left and it’s nearing 4:30 before they reach the end of the forest. Yesung had not wanted Hyukjae to fly them out, too paranoid and frightened by the idea of seeing the wings. Not wanting to piss or scare Yesung further Eunhyuk had complied, knowing the he would now have to carry the boy if they wanted to make it out of the forest before dark.

When Yesung protested being carried like a woman, Eunhyuk had had to bear down on his irritation and simply flung Yesung over his shoulder, the boy’s temper be damned!

                “Well if you put me the down maybe I would stop whining! Is this all your good for, huh!? Making my life miserable!”

No matter the years Eunhyuk had spent waiting for this to arrive that does not make him anyone’s punching bag. He roughly flung Yesung off his shoulder, catching the boy before he could hit the ground harshly. He had just wanted to scare him a little to shut him up but now Yesung looked like he was ready to make a run for it despite his twisted ankle.

                “You say you’re trying to protect me but I’m finding that harder and harder to believe. You disappear on me after sticking to me all day in school; I almost get killed because of you and now you try to ing throw me off your shoulder. I call bull! You either want me out of the way or, or”

Hyukjae rolls his eyes, “If I wanted you dead I would have killed you right after Kyuhyun left. Better yet I would have let those Wailers claw the out of you”

Yesung gulps visibly, his eyes going back and forth as if seeing how far he would have to run to put some distance between himself and Hyukjae.

                “Will you ing relax! I mean damn, I thought being an Oritalis’ guardian would be awesome but so far I can’t seem to do anything right and you, you are not making it easy!”

                “It’s not supposed to be easy apparently. If from what I saw just now these things are out for blood, my blood, you are probably going to have to either buck up or shut up because if you don’t then demand a new guardian!”

                “What?” a dread settled inside of Eunhyuk.

Yesung folded his arms, “You practically ! I busted up my ankle, almost got shredded, got thrown into the air by some maniac half breed Vampire and now I’m cold, far from home with a limp and my head hurts-“

                “I told you to let me fly you…”

                “I don’t want to be carried through the air by you, it and it’s unnatural ad freaky…and, and! I don’t want all this to be happening to me! I don’t ing want to be the chosen one? What is that? I’m sixteen! I’m not Harry ing Potter. I just wanted to live my boring life here without the fear of dying.”

                “You’re not going to die you idiot. I’ll-“

                “You’ll what? You’re nothing but a clumsy idiot yourself. So no, I don’t want to be this Ori-whatever and I don’t want you. Get out of my life and I just wanna go HOME!!!” Hyukjae can see the tears of vexation forming in the other boy’s eyes.

Holding in a shuddered breath at the impact of those words, Eunhyuk glared and spat angrily,   

“Well at least I’ll be rid of you. You think I wanted this gig. And my, my bloody-“ Eunhyuk breaks off to wipe at his own frustrated tears, “my bloody shirt is ruined now because you stink of piss” he laughs brokenly.

It seemed to be contagious because Yesung gives a broken chuckle as well.

                “Look, I’ll take…”

Hyukjae grew cold, his thoughts going blank. He screamed fiercely as an overwhelming sensation penetrated him. His wings erected themselves forcibly and curled around him, trapping his body beneath them.

And he knew no more…

(Yesung’s POV)

I had not meant to yell and carry on like a spoilt brat but who could blame me. I just wanted to hurt Hyukjae, make him understand how infuriating this situation was for me.

Was I supposed to just say, ‘Oh well, if you say so’ and roll over and play the good little Oritalis?

I don’t think so!

This was going to take some getting used to and at this moment, as of now, I was pissed and there was no one else to get pissed at other than Hyukjae. I focused strongly on all that he had done wrong, ungrateful about the fact that he had saved my life and only targeting his errors.

I really didn’t want him. I honestly did not want to be this chosen one. And if having him around was the solid reminder of the destiny that I didn’t want then he should just go away.

That comment about me tainting his shirt with the scent of urine seemed to be the icebreaker the moment needed but it was over all too soon.

Hyukjae paused in what he had been saying and he looked as if he had sensed something mentally. I stared at him, interested in his strange behavior.

He began to scream and I backed away panicking as I watched as his wings popped out of nowhere, immediately forming a feathery white cocoon around him and then he was gone.

I stood there alone, the forest once more deathly silent as there was now the absence of his screams. My heavy breathing was the only sound that I heard apart from the beating thump of my heart inside my ears.

                “Hyukjae” I whispered, afraid to talk too loudly in case something jump out at me.

Nothing happened. The Oakville breezes rustled the leaves of the trees. I got spooked by the chill of it against my skin and took off through the trees as quickly as I could. My ankle protested the rapid movements but without Hyukjae I was defenseless and the woods were utterly scary. Maybe I had gotten my wish, maybe the curse was gone along with Hyukjae?

A shadow flew over me, eclipsing my body in its darkness and I screamed, unable to stop the reaction.

                “HYUKJAE! HYUKJAE WHERE THE ARE YOU DAMMIT!!?!”

I continue in the direction we had been going, hoping to see the end of the forest or at least a road.

Suddenly a large dark wolf appeared in the path in front of me, its mouth set in an angry scowl.

HOLY !

I take off in another direction, my ankle aching painfully but I never once slow down or stop yelling for Hyukjae.

Oh my God where the hell was he?

What, what was going on?!

                “Hyukjae! HYUKJAE!”

The wolf had already charged at me and I skidded around a large rock as it slammed full force into the tree I had been hiding behind. The shadow flew over me again and I dodged to the left, moving out from under it.

A hand gripped my arm, lifting me off the ground. I didn’t squirm in the hold, assuming it was Hyukjae. The wolf seemed to have brought a friend and both of them leaped to tackle my dangling lower body, breaking the hold Hyukjae had on me and I went tumbling to the cold ground.

The large wolf closed in on me quickly but its path is blocked by my guardian. All I can see are beautiful off white feathers, almost a dull silver color, neatly embedded in large outstretched wings.  The wing span appeared a little bigger from this angle but I figured it was because I hadn’t gotten to see them this up close.

                “Cease and desist wolf” someone spoke. Someone that was not Hyukjae…

The wolf growled and I crawled forward until I was practically climbing up the shoulders of my guardian. I accidentally pluck off a few feathers that cause the man to hiss in pain, or maybe annoyance. The next thing I know I’m being batted away by the right wing.

                “Guardian, why are you here? This creature stinks disgustingly and I know you people do not associate with such filth”

Well this filth is utterly offended.

The new voice appears to be coming from a,

…..

…..

…..

Well that is quite a y specimen.

The man is over 6 feet of solid muscle, all tanned and glistening with sweat. Not to mention he is and from what I can tell, well hung. His hair is long and fluffy, dark as midnight, his eyes narrowed on the guardian in front of him.

When a cold spot of flesh nudges my arm I gasp and jerk away. The other wolf is smaller than the big black one and he doesn’t seem to be snarling but rather curious. It looks like a giant puppy with its eyes wide and shiny, staring at me like I was the strangest thing it had ever seen. It sniffed at me, turning up its nose.

                “Hey I’ve had a long day” I say, defending my appearance and smell.

There is a shifting in its fur, a disgusting sound of twisting bones beneath flesh and skin tearing. I flinch back as I watch the wolf in fascination as it turns into a man, well a boy.

                “What the hell are you?” he asks immediately.

If I wasn’t so used to strange creatures talking to me by now, I would’ve screamed. Instead I laugh hysterically, because oh my God, there is a boy in front of me who just transformed from a human after just being a wolf.

OH

MY

GOD!

Nia and Danneel have forever ruined me with Twilight. They would be so jealous right now! I think I just found Jacob. Who knew Stephanie Myers had been on to something with her work of fiction.

I’m wondering if Kyuhyun sparkles when a rough grip on my arm startles me. I am hauled to my feet and before I can protest, the large wings encase my body, darkening the world around me. When I open my eyes again, I’m in my room at Jungsoo’s house.

Donghae’s POV

He could smell the arousal on Rain, the other man positively radianting ual confidence with every stride he took toward Donghae.

The younger wolf was not stupid. He knew just type of person Bi Rain was. He had heard enough stories from blushing Baliene girls who spoke coyly about Rain’s interest in them. Donghae snorts. The man was a ert.

He was like a walking , always hard and aroused, ready to penetrate any willing hole. Donghae remembers Changmin telling the other boys at school that Rain would probably have with a donut. Donghae snickered at the memory.

                “What’s so funny, young wolf?” Rain pauses, smiling confidently.

Donghae shrugs, his eyes alert as he scans the forest. It was exhilarating to be on his first hunt as a wolf, it was a shame he had to have Rain as his partner. The other wolf might be the Alpha in charge of training and leading the younger generation of wolfs but he was no doubt abusing his power to the extreme.

The hairs on his arms stand up when Rain inches closer to him,

                “So tell me, are you enjoying your first time?”

The two-way meaning behind those words caused Donghae to shudder in disgust. He can see Rain smirking through the corner of his eyes, the man probably had mistaken Donghae’s disgusted shudder for a lustful shiver.

                “Hm. You are a quiet one” he touches Donghae face, a thick finger from his cheek to the underline of his jaw. Donghae wonders how many asses and that finger has been inserted into and he jerks his face away.

                “Aw, don’t be shy. It’s just us out here. Don’t deny yourself this pleasure”

Donghae scoffs, “Please, do those pickup lines even work? I’m not some airhead who’s hot for you, okay? So back and off let’s stay focused”

Donghae feels like he should be the Alpha because wow, Rain doesn’t seem to have anything else on his mind other than having . His rough palm spanked Donghae’s rump playfully and Donghae didn’t hold back on the punch he threw.

 Rain dodged it easily, smiling teasingly as if he thought this was all .

Rain stepped forward into his personal space, still holding his hand captive. The Alpha presses his hard against Donghae’s side. “Playing hard to get huh? I usually don’t…”

                “Shut up and stop touching me” Donghae wretched his hand away, his other hand swinging a fist at Rain’s face before he stepped aside and transformed back into a wolf. It was a painful shift as it usually was and he was relieved when he found himself as a wolf.

                “You ” Rain spat angrily, touching a mouth. Donghae eyed him closely, there was no cut or bruise but at least he knew he had punched him hard enough to hurt him a little.

                “Playful puppies get do rounds at 3 a.m.” Rain states and Donghae barks in defiance, he does not want to patrol at 3 in them morning! He has school tomorrow!

                “That’s what you get for acting like a you ”

Donghae would’ve gladly liked to attack Rain but he knew if they got into a fight and Rain told the Pack Elders then he’d be in serious trouble. Everybody knew Rain was spoilt. The man got away with ing half his recruits and no one batted an eye to dismiss him as Alpha. He was a favorite among the Elders, his father being a well-respected Alpha.

A strong scent forces its way into his nostrils and Donghae snorts loudly, trying to get it out. He sneezes.

                “Chin up boy, looks like we’ve got company”

Rain morphed smoothly into his wolf form, and this sparked a jealous within Donghae. He could only hope that he’d be able to slip into his wolf form just as easy one day. They took off quickly in the direction the scent was coming from.

Next