Chapter 1

Back to the Beginning
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was a bitter, cold January day just past noon, and Kim Heechul sat at a booth in the local diner, impatiently tapping his fingers against the table top as he stared outside at the snowfall. Sighing for the countless time in the past half hour, he glanced down at his wristwatch and huffed in annoyance. Only when the diner doors swung open and a cold wind blew in did Heechul look up and feel relief rush over him when he saw Leeteuk and Kangin enter; they were here, finally.

Waving them over, Heechul briefly greeted his two friends and smiled daintily at the recently e year old baby that came with them – Sungmin.

“About time, you guys! What took so long, I’ve been waiting here forever?” Heechul gushed as he reached to unbuckle Sungmin from the babyseat he was strapped in. Kangin sent him a hard look and pulled his son into his lap as he took a seat next to Leeteuk.

“Excuse me, I have a kid in case you forgot. It takes awhile to get his diaper bag packed up, get him dressed in his winter clothes, etc. Relax, Chul, we’re here,” He grumbled, bouncing his knee up and down as Sungmin cooed in enjoyment.

“Yeah, well I – “ Heechul began to argue, only to be cut off when Leeteuk reached over and pinched his arm, a vague attempt to prevent the argument from even starting.

“Hey, come on. You said there was an emergency, so get on with it,” He said, looking back and forth between his friends with a stern look; Kangin graced him with a sarcastic grin before turning his attention to the baby, who was blowing spit bubbles.

Heechul sighed and closed his eyes for a brief moment before reaching into his purse and pulling out a white stick and tossing it on the table for show. The reactions were delayed momentarily as Kangin and Leeteuk took a second to figure out exactly what they were staring at; but then it came.

“Oh. Oh,” Kangin said, his eyes widening in bemusement as he stared at the pregnancy test before him. He glanced at Heechul, amusement running through his mind just for the shortest amount of time, before turning his gaze to Leeteuk, who stared stoic at the table.

Heechul nodded swiftly, reaching to take it away as the waitress came with their drinks. He sighed once again, and looked at his best friends with a hopeful look in his eyes, wishing that one of them had any good advice for him. This was not the right time to get pregnant, and he just didn’t understand how it could have even happened; he always made sure condoms were used. But the only way to keep from getting pregnant was to stay abstinent; even the box warned of that one percent chance.

“I don’t know what to do,” Heechul said eventually after it had registered in everyone’s mind that this wasn’t a joke. How could it be? After Kangin had knocked up his girlfriend last year, none of them took the subject lightly; they saw how much he struggled being a single father.

Leeteuk his lips, frowning as he tried to put together his words. His mind was still in shock, and all that he could comprehend was that little blue plus sign of bitter misery. “You’re pregnant?” He whispered finally, staring at Heechul with hurt clear in his expression.

Heechul looked away guiltily and nodded his head. He didn’t want Leeteuk to look at him with those eyes, the betrayal was so clear that it made his heart ache. It was obvious to anyone that Leeteuk was still very much in love with him, he always had been. Although they’d broken up years ago, Heechul knew that his best friend had never gotten over him, not even when he’d announced his s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter